PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleak Existence

Hanatarash - We Are Nuts

Scat-O-Logy

Good morning everyone!

Returned to Mania/Custodian split record after a long break. Mania side is definitely my favorite, consisting of nice combination between metals, synth and vocals, or should I say torturous shouting, heh. Very basic Mania track, but nothing wrong with that. I remember when I heard Custodian for the first time, I was like "wtf is this shit?!" and after a while it started to grow in me. Now when I listen to it, I can point out some quite "Bizarre Uproaristic" elements from his sound. Can't go wrong with that! Still, I would expect something more. For me, all the tracks sound very similar which obviously has very negative impact to the listening experience and in some parts I can clearly hear that the levels hit maximum which isn't always a bad thing but in this case when there's not much more than just the noise, it gets to me. Not definitely a bad release but not something I would be spinning that often either.

Levas

Unclean / ABNTR/ Unclean - Untitled - very nice tape. I especially enjoyed Unclean and ABNTR stuff

Sissisters - Brentwood Gardens - great, minimal synth stuff.

Mania - Grim Conditions - Unexpectedly atmospheric material from Mania. Really great.

Jaakko V.

Amph - Polar / Mongol, LP (Sprachlos Verlag)

This is very good. Slightly muffled tape loop work, concrete sounds etc. Proceeds somewhat slowly and delicately. I'm not going to delve too much into the details of the sound, Peter already described this quite well in the promo text. There are parts when I think of Zoviet France and others when I think of some of Organum, although this is not aping either one. Soundwise it's obvious that this is an album coming out from Sweden, and that's meant in a good way. Original sound, yet the context is there. Required a couple of listens for the first layer of ice to break, and several more to reveal a layer below layer below layer. I guess I'm nowhere near bottom yet. Recommended!

Going through the Amph / SSRI cassette now...

P-K

Tusen År Under Jord ‎– Sorgsendömet Fobos cassette
.....excellent cut&paste dark melancholic folk/classic stuff. incl vinyl crackling & tape warbles, has been on repeat all day. I suspect this is Dusa ?

online prowler

Quote from: P-K on March 12, 2013, 02:41:14 PM
Tusen År Under Jord ‎– Sorgsendömet Fobos cassette
.....excellent cut&paste dark melancholic folk/classic stuff. incl vinyl crackling & tape warbles, has been on repeat all day. I suspect this is Dusa ?

Thanx for the share P-K. This seems like an interesting project. Will check it out.

// Føkk!! This is great. Highly recommend this release as well as the Segermannen CS.

RyanWreck

Mania & Hal Hutchinson - Split CS (Der Bunker, 2011) - I might be a few years late on this but I'm glad I got to eventually hear this thing. Biewerks side is a nice glimpse into what he would start doing later on that year and into 2012. It's droning, subtle and heavy on the textures. A definite Industrial feel with the slow burning ambiance that gets crippled by metal junk play and feedback. A gradual yet haunting piece. Then you have Hal's side, "Totally Ugly", and that is probably the best description in itself, this is very ugly but in the best possible way. This is one of my favorite Hal Hutchinson pieces behind his full-length masterpiece put out the following year on Unrest. As one would expect this is acoustic metal/junk abuse at its finest, and as I said, its most ugly. There are ultra hyper sections throughout that will blow you away and/or make you long for the days of fast and destructive Harsh Noise like this. Truly great work by both artists, I couldn't see a better fit than Mania and Hal Hutchinson.

Grystl - Demo (Dew Crux, 2012) - Upon first listen I was tempted to just write this off as amateurish, but after more listens it began to attach itself to my tastes. This is as dirty and bleak as its label description advertised it as ("dictaphone Black Metal"), but then again could you see this style of music produced to sound something like a Steely Dan album? Probably not a good choice. These ultra lo-fi recordings spit forth gargled drums wildly smashing around to punk inspired gallops. The thin riffs are overcome by a glow of raspy vocals which seem a bit too up-front for a recording of this nature, yet it works. Is this anything new? Absolutely not, but it does give off an atmosphere of nostalgia and angst in all of its underdeveloped, and uniquely abrasive, glory.

Scat-O-Logy

Listened to Untergeschoss comp and it still feels very average to me. I'm not a right guy to talk about the release because I personally hate grindcore which consumes about half of the comp but luckily there are some very good tracks as well. Umpio did, once again, very nice junkstrument track, Concrete Mascara was as strong as always and I personally enjoy the experimental soundscapes of SSRI. For me, the French Ekunhaashaastaack, mostly known for his extensive discography consisting mainly CDr's wasn't anything worth remembering even though it was quite nice. Budrūs, the side A ender, felt very average to me. As much as I love Levas' brutal vocals, I think the muddy noise didn't really do justice for him. The Streetcleaner recorded quite nice track for side B but Unclean and Shift wasn't able to bring forth their best qualities, which are, at least for me, Shift's atmospheric approach and Unclean's dirty PE with strong vocal work.

fin de siècle

In Death It Ends "Occvlt Machine" - brilliant dark synth pop! Highly recommended!
http://aufnahmeundwiedergabe.bandcamp.com/album/occvlt-machine

Suffocation "Pinnacle Of Bedlam" CD - really good album, expecially the melodic accoustic guitar parts! Much better than "Blood Oath", however, "Suffocation" is still their best!
https://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/suffocation-cycles-of

Dissecting Table/Vasilisk "Saddharma/Tribal Zone" CD - Vasilisk is extremely powerful dark buddhist drone/industrial! Highly recommended!

RG

Swans - The Seer
I would strongly recommend this album to anyone who frequents this board. Incredibly varied, this has something for fans of all kinds of music. Goes from angelic sounding to filthy repetitive locked-groove to doomy dark folk to buzzing drones to almost poppy sounding country-folk. Two hours long too. This is a perfect example of an album as a work of art, and it's amazing and inspiring that a guy nearing 60 years old can still be perfecting his craft and release the best album of his career. A masterwork, really. This is the kind of album that you can obsess over and I have been for the past few days since I first listened to it.

I actually watched this video first and it got the ball rolling:
http://youtu.be/al_-2LWwbSI

Never listened to much Swans but I've been aware of them for a long time. I checked out some of their stuff many years ago and "Filth" seemed to be the only thing that resonated with me. After listening to The Seer I think I may have to go back and listen to everything now. I might be missing out on some incredible material.

Zeno Marx

I found Seer to be weak compared to some of the live recordings I've heard from it.  The material has some good strength to it.  It's that the studio release didn't catch it at its utmost.  If you can find the FM broadcast from 2011-08-13 in Roskilde DK, that's a prime example of the songs being pushed into greater space.  It toured better than it recorded.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 13, 2013, 06:42:52 PM
I found Seer to be weak compared to some of the live recordings I've heard from it.  The material has some good strength to it.  It's that the studio release didn't catch it at its utmost.  If you can find the FM broadcast from 2011-08-13 in Roskilde DK, that's a prime example of the songs being pushed into greater space.  It toured better than it recorded.

I have to agree with this 100%. I was going to buy the vinyl when I saw them on tour, but after the show I knew there was no possible way any studio recording would have that same raw power. I've listened to my friends copy several times and sadly I was right. I thought the reverse was true for the last album though.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

linxtyx

I was spinning V/A "Art of deviance" 2xTape today. I did it a few times and...it is bad.
I was surprised at first because of the names (all 4!) involved in this. But it felt like all tracks were old left overs or just recorded with lack of interest into release and idea itself.
I don't want to offend (or do I?) anyone, but there is no way I can be positive about this release.
Only UNCLEAN was different for my ears, somehow it was higher then other three.
JARL "Tunnel vision mind reaper" 2xTape nice one. Really good drones that fits this freaking cold Lithuanian winter.
ULTIMASTANZA "Corpse talk for the downright passiveness" & ULTIMASTANZA "A jewel in a dunghill" ordered those two because of style label. Simple as that. And I got a lot of reverb. It has something in it actually - need to a few more spins, but for sure it is not a thing that it is presented to be.
OORCHACH "Vigilia" tape - very interesting tape, it opened new perspective to the style of PoPo for me.
Mania / Coma Detox "In The Peripheral Margin Of Trauma" LP absolutely gorgeous release - more of those and the world will be saved. Both artists did wonderful job here.
Nicole 12 "Black Line" LP - veeeeery strange release and it perfectly suits me. Nice "turn" of N12.

yosef666

Quote from: linxtyx on March 13, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
I was spinning V/A "Art of deviance" 2xTape today. I did it a few times and...it is bad.
I was surprised at first because of the names (all 4!) involved in this. But it felt like all tracks were old left overs or just recorded with lack of interest into release and idea itself.
I don't want to offend (or do I?) anyone, but there is no way I can be positive about this release.
Wow... to each their own I guess. I've listened to this 3 or 4 tapes, and it gets better with each listen. I thought all the acts were really bringing their A-game. An excellent release, in my eyes, and one that I will be coming back to again many times I'm sure.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Mikerdeath

Quote from: yosef666 on March 14, 2013, 01:36:44 AM
Quote from: linxtyx on March 13, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
Wow... to each their own I guess. I've listened to this 3 or 4 tapes, and it gets better with each listen. I thought all the acts were really bringing their A-game. An excellent release, in my eyes, and one that I will be coming back to again many times I'm sure.

Need to order this, I want to hear the Concrete Mascara & Unclean tracks.

I guess this is a good time to say the Concrete Mascara 7" on filth and violence was ace and delivers on all fronts.