NEW theme / location boxes?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 27, 2022, 09:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was yesterday listening to RRR's NEW ENGLAND box set.

Last year was in touch with Can't and Karlheinz and both confirmed they have sort of retired from noise. Can't is such a unique broken noise oddity here, that I am sure it takes a bit to get used to it. I think several of these pieces she used to play live in ger European gigs. Funny thing was, that I actually was driver in her Finnish tour. Now sounds amazing that she could do 4 dates in Finland, playing for pretty decent crowd every day! Perhaps even more amazing that entire tour having only double CD of Skrewdriver as playlist in my car, nothing else, haha! In old car, rock music is of course the best.

Prurient does sort of typical - but good - of that era: Including both harmonic synth tone works as well as painful high pitched feedback / screaming vocals things. Immaculate:Grotesque is odd case. Despite having this vinyl, full CD, bunch of other things, I can't ever recall anyone praise I:G? Not that it would be absolutely phenomenal, but it good pretty damn heavy. Synth noise that is utterly distorted into heavy layers of brutal harshness. No feedback, no vocals, no analogue synth type oscillations. Almost like waving, harmonic harsh noise wall layers moving slowly. Back in the day, guy had just put out Prurient "troubled sleep" and I visited his place before gig. He showed digital recorder he did all this stuff, and stand-alone recorder had CDR drive built in it. He showed huge CD spindle of nothing but discs and mentioned it is all unreleased noise he has been making. I would assume 100+ cdr's of noise that... never got released? I was told project enjoys fairly strong reputation in USA, but I have not noticed it.

Mr. Brinkman side, odd experimental/industrial sound from project that isn't too well known and disappeared long ago? I was mentioned one label hoped to make box of his small circulation releases, but nothing happened as man had already moved on to other things.

Karlheinz here is really good. Well, his stuff generally is really good, but perhaps the name and graphics was something that people generally do not mention him among noteworthy projects of this time. Strongly recommended by me, nevetherless!

Still more than half of projects to go through. I known I can trust on Skin Crime, Sickness, Diagram A and so on...

I know there are other topics of box-sets as well as best compilations, but any particular feelings about these once popular location based compilations? In Finland, like mentioned in many topics, a lot of country focused compilations has appeared. It seems good thing now, as there are so many good artists. Back in the day, RRR actually asked me to curate FINLAND 3xLP box for RRR. Bizarre Uproar and Squamata did their sides. Nobody else managed to complete anything. Eventaully when I asked RRR is it still valid offer, time had passed and that momentum of location based or vinyl compilation boxes in general, was gone..   Bizarre Uproar side may have been reissued in some of his rarity tapes but Squamata side still waits here after... ehm.. 10-15 years, haha.. fuck..

Anyways, this question is more like:

1) what is the current time locations or "scenes" or "styles" you'd hope to be documented, that could be sort of peaking now?

2) Is there something too "final" in large box-sets? Something that will be kind of cementing the idea of "this is NEW ENGLAND", "this is CALIFORNIA" from then on?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

And as a reply to my own question:

1) proper monolithic HARSH NOISE 23 type of box. Putting together what has been emerging over few years and notable new and veterans that are still going exxxtra strong. That seems like obvious things, but would it happen by some label? There was those Contemporary harsh noise -tape sets being done already years ago, but some bigger CD box probably would be more visible document of era.

2) that said, there is kind of finality in doing something "too large". Often, the moment when something is sort of... curated and placed in museum exhibition, you know the peak is kind of behind and now it is more historical than what is going on.

Balor/SS1535

Perhaps sets exploring the role of the Internet/computers in contemporary noise?  Specifically, I would be interested in seeing how the ease of communication might have helped develop new scenes not tied to specific geographic locations, or led to collaborations from across the world.

HateSermon

I've just recently learned about noise wiki so pardon me if that's old news. Some people have taken the time to organize a state by state list if projects and its pretty interesting to look at:

https://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=North_America_Noise_List

Some states are just completely stacked, like California obviously, but also taking a step back and looking at midwest. I think a comp of those states would be great to showcase (and I would participate, heh!) that midwestern style that is so often brought up in places like WCN podcast, etc.
Or the other thread in here about South American noise - it had me thinking that it would be great to do a comp with all of what goes on there. I can only think of a handful of projects from the top of my head so it would be a convenient way to learn more about that scene and style.

But I do think that anything labeled "This is..." may imply some sort of finality to that location's noise traits. Unless maybe it was an updated volume every few years or something. That could be cool to see the progression of sound in that specific area.

PTM Jim

I was planning a No Coast/Midwest one (minus Michigan because they have their own) back in 2014 and decided against it. It was going to be way too expensive for one person to do and I didn't quite have the connections I do now, at the time. It's still a fleeting thought, but the line up would be a lot different now than what it was going to be. I'm also in Pittsburg area now so it was easier being in Chicago where there was a ton of action.

Line up would have been something like this:
MN: Gnawed / Grain Belt
WI: Climax Denial / Custodian
OH: Skin Graft / something else Cleveland (can't remember)
OH: Being / something else southern OH (can't remember)
IL: Deterge / Koufar
IL: Winters In Osaka / Machismo

I think there was another Chicago one (for obvious reasons) and I think there was a split with an Iowa and Indiana based artist.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 27, 2022, 09:58:23 AM
there are so many good artists. Back in the day, RRR actually asked me to curate FINLAND 3xLP box for RRR. Bizarre Uproar and Squamata did their sides. Nobody else managed to complete anything. Eventaully when I asked RRR is it still valid offer, time had passed and that momentum of location based or vinyl compilation boxes in general, was gone..

While box is kind of monolith that would have different impact than tape or cd, I think now in Finland there is so much happening right now, that box set would feel little out of place. Currently working on Terässinfonia vol 5 and there are already half of tracks, and mostly artists who do not play in other noise bands/projects, and good mix of new and some older folks. There are probably at least couple dozen artists I should be approaching and asking, who have not been yet featured. Each year something new and good seems to appear. Compiling ongoing CD series seems best idea for something that is currently happening.

However, if there would be collection made of rarities of Finn noise of 90's, that would be probably suitable for box. Or first decade of 00's.

One box I would like to see, would be perhaps... "phase boxes" of Lust Vessel. There are different phases of the label, and it wouldn't have to be complete label set. Of course they would work as stand alone CD's, but when early stuff probably was most of all single minded vision of one or couple people..  Collection would work for that well.

JLIAT

????

"The An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music is a seven album compilation of 176 tracks of historic noise music and electronic music released on 15 CDs between the years 2001 and 2011.[1] It was curated, noted and edited by Guy-Marc Hinant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Anthology_of_Noise_%26_Electronic_Music

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: JLIAT on June 04, 2022, 07:33:50 PM
????

"The An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music is a seven album compilation of 176 tracks of historic noise music and electronic music released on 15 CDs between the years 2001 and 2011.[1] It was curated, noted and edited by Guy-Marc Hinant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Anthology_of_Noise_%26_Electronic_Music

This looks fantastic.  Too bad they didn't put the tracks in chronological order, though.