Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

just picked up 'the sect'- the shameless edition. hope it is as entertaining as 'the church'

last night watched 'secret executioners' a 50pence find second hand.
expected late 70's chop sock and found something a whole lot weirder.
the initial kung fu was like high giving turned into patty cake, awful.
as credits rolled, realised this was a Godfrey ho film-he 'notorious' for either re editing another film with his inserts, or padding his own film with another. all without licence or aesthetics.
I was drunk but this was still entertaining beyond it's origins and capabilities.

bitewerksMTB

New Years Eve:

I Drink Your Blood- Grindhouse's double Blu-ray disc set is definitely the way to go for this Satanic, rabid hippie cult flick. If the nice looking X-Rated theatrical cut or the longer, director's cut (haven't watched it yet) is "too nice" for you, there's always the German 8mm version which looks grimey as hell but it is in German.

The Undertaker- lost late '80s slasher starring Joe Spinell. I wasn't expecting much but it turns out to be quite an enjoyable mess! Vinegar Syndrome located 35mm elements  but they were missing 6 minutes of footage so a video source had to be used for those scenes & one of the scenes is the goriest, I think. It's hard to tell in the washed out vhs mess. If you're a slasher fanatic then this is a 'must own' film. Spinell is super sweaty as Uncle Roscoe, the Undertaker!

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 01, 2017, 09:31:49 PM
The Undertaker- lost late '80s slasher starring Joe Spinell. I wasn't expecting much but it turns out to be quite an enjoyable mess! Vinegar Syndrome located 35mm elements  but they were missing 6 minutes of footage so a video source had to be used for those scenes & one of the scenes is the goriest, I think. It's hard to tell in the washed out vhs mess. If you're a slasher fanatic then this is a 'must own' film. Spinell is super sweaty as Uncle Roscoe, the Undertaker!

The Undertaker... Thanx for the reminder! Had totally forgot about this film.

david lloyd jones

got the undertaker on DVD couple of years back. will be investing in the upgrade.

just got seven deaths in a cats eye Antonio marghereti Gallo on blue ray with a young jane birkin and a riz ortolani score.

watched the greasy strangler the other day, a curious mess of a film. really entertained by it but not sure if I will see it as good on future viewings.

cr

Just watched Four of the Apocalypse (I quattro dell'apocalisse), a Western by Lucio Fulci. Great!

david lloyd jones

there are great spaghetti b films to see that , in some ways better the more famous a grade ones.

Deadpriest

Just watched Samaritan Girl again. One of my favouritest films: 2 girls trying to get tickets to Europe (I think because of the way one of their fathers romanticises it to her) have begun using prostitution to get the money, one acting as pimp the other selling herself. Things go wrong and one of them dies (kills herself even) I won't go on, but it's another Kim Ki Duk Film so it gets even more perverse and dark from there. I love this film so much, it has quite a Trevor Brown sense to it I feel, .
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

bitewerksMTB

Watched a couple of  documentaries from the '90s about African American males: New Jersey Drive & Boyz N the Hood

A mother talking to her son in Boyz: "Where the fuck you going, you little fat fuck? You ain't got a job."

Peterson

Not documentaries, but the films Bulworth, Bamboozled, and Slam are all fairly good representations of different perspectives on the same subject. Bamboozled's got to be one of two Spike Lee movies worth a shit, not to mention obviously an inspiration to Dave Chappelle...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I broke up watching Shoah into three sections with episodes of Seinfeld. I'm not kidding.

bitewerksMTB

Don't Go in the House- brutal serial killer film from 1980; this film has more in common with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Angst than gory slasher flicks. The new Blu-ray released by Scorpion Releasing is 9 minutes longer than the theatrical version but features an odd audio track that was meant for cable TV. While the film has only one scene of extreme violence, that one scene is a doozy!  DGitH is basically Psycho filmed during the disco era mixing up a hodge podge of religious mumbo jumbo & vile child abuse. In Stephen Thrower's book, Nightmare USA, the director says the film played theaters with Friday the 13th but while audiences had fun with that film, DGitH was more than they wanted  to deal with. While the film has some heavy themes going on, it also has sections that drag or come off as 'campy'.

http://store.roninflix.com/#!/c/0/offset=0&sort=normal

I've got a copy of The Vanishing (Spoorloos) on the way...

anotherwaytogetold

Buffet froid.
An excellent Bertrand Blier movie.
Please don't be fooled by this goofy trailer and watch it if you can find it with subtitles as i guess it has been a part of Gaspard Noé' influences.
It's abstract, immoral and down to earth at the same time.
For me, it's a classic.

https://youtu.be/WKCquNH_CEw

Peterson

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 06, 2017, 10:24:30 PM

Really want to see that one. The Hollywood remake by the same director is pretty bad, but Jeff Bridges obviously did his research about Ted Bundy when coming up with specifics for the character. Worth watching one time for his creepiness.

david lloyd jones

Don't Go in the House- brutal serial killer film from 1980; this film has more in common with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Angst than gory slasher flicks. The new Blu-ray released by Scorpion Releasing is 9 minutes longer than the theatrical version but features an odd audio track that was meant for cable TV. While the film has only one scene of extreme violence, that one scene is a doozy!  DGitH is basically Psycho filmed during the disco era mixing up a hodge podge of religious mumbo jumbo & vile child abuse. In Stephen Thrower's book, Nightmare USA, the director says the film played theaters with Friday the 13th but while audiences had fun with that film, DGitH was more than they wanted  to deal with. While the film has some heavy themes going on, it also has sections that drag or come off as 'campy'.

http://store.roninflix.com/#!/c/0/offset=0&sort=normal

don't go in the house sure is downbeat fun. myself would liken the downbeat tone to maniac rather than Henry. can see why Friday 13 fans hated it.

picked up the warzone cheaply today and looking forward to it. still seeking a watchable copy of nil by mouth as the two copies I have suck visually making the sound only experience like a cross between Jeremy Kyle and a xxx rated easterners (uk soap for foreign readers)

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Peterson on January 07, 2017, 01:01:58 AM

Really want to see that one. The Hollywood remake by the same director is pretty bad, but Jeff Bridges obviously did his research about Ted Bundy when coming up with specifics for the character. Worth watching one time for his creepiness.

Yeah, I remember Bridges doing a pretty good job with that role. I think I saw the U.S. film first then ran across the Danish film on cable & was surprised when I got into it. Definitely looking forward to seeing it again.