Noise and intoxication

Started by eyestrain, June 27, 2012, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

This is not so much in relation to PE and industrial as it is to noise noise. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on taking drugs, getting drunk while enjoying noise. This is under the assumption that you enjoy this sonic bliss alone, which I know for many of you is not the case (I wonder what it is like to be chillin' whichya boyz to Incapacitants, etc?). I am by no means a veteran listener, but my first epiphany came under the influence of Ahlzagailzehguh's "Black Destination" in 2005; alone, hammered on Labrott & Graham's Woodford Reserve Bourbon with a few bowls of homemade hash. It would be in bad taste, as I don't have much literary flair, to describe the experience. It was simply an "Ah hah!!" moment to say the least. It's been without looking back since that moment. Noise is something I indulge in from morning to night. Typically sober. But, it came to mind as I wander here at my all-alone night-shift warehouse job, having just polished off the remainder of my Bulleit Rye, that someone here on the board, and elsewhere, is half deep too, by whatever intoxicant. This curiosity will probably bother many of you - so be it. I've lived my life, relatively alone in rural Pennsy and have no companions in noise , save my girlfriend who basically only enjoys "Sex Sick" and "Savage Inequalities".

Blah, my point is, what is your association in this sense? Have a favorite combo? I'm in the midst of the "Nitro Dragsters" comp and all is well. Although I don't think the experience of noise in always enhanced by drink and drugs, but there are of course artists that seem ideal for the buzz. Say, for instance, Macronympha, in all their Fear-and-Loathing-style glory.

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Bleak Existence

no drugs for me since about 5 years ago and i alway listen to noise when i'm sober not drunk ...

P-K

at home, allways sober.....i tend to drink (a lot) at gigs, more social drinking, not noise-related....unless fueled by excitemend to see/hear a certain act.

did some pot long time ago, perfect for Hybryds live-action. Chill, nice visuals.

other people on harddrugs (talking about txc, speed, etc.....users of those frequently claim alcohol is worse) tend to irritate me, all that fast-fast waaaay too social paranoid crap.

RyanWreck

When I used to be addicted to Heroin and Oxy Power Electronics sounded great, when I was dope sick I hated any type of Noise/PE/Industrial, it made it way worse. I was trying to make something that made me feel like the way I did sitting in jail dope-sick but I could never find any sound that came close to creating that type of anxiety, nauseated restlessness.

Now a days I pretty much drink once every blue moon, or maybe take some morphine if someone has it and every couple months I buy a guys Xanax bars and Valium from him for $60 (120 pills) and that lasts me a few weeks. With all that I am still the cleanest I have ever been in the last 12-13 years.

hsv

Mildly buzzed from beer is my favourite state for live shows. Makes it easier to drop everything else and just get into the music, while still "being there" and experiencing it "as it is". I smoked a whole bunch of weed before an IRM gig a while back and while I had a pretty nice time, I think my experience came more from the drug and less from the music. I felt kind of detached, in hindsight I would rather have seen that performance unstoned.

Getting really pissed can be nice too of course, but then you usually focus more on the social factor, feeling of excitement and "party atmosphere" than all the different subtle aspects of the music...

Apparently certain people had some fun on ecstasy during the Broken Flag fest, I wasn't there. Someone I know did speed at a Sleep concert once, that probably wasn't such a good idea.

bitewerksMTB

"save my girlfriend who basically only enjoys "Sex Sick" and "Savage Inequalities". "

Seriously?!?

eyestrain

Quote from: P-K on June 27, 2012, 05:13:15 PM
other people on harddrugs (talking about txc, speed, etc.....users of those frequently claim alcohol is worse) tend to irritate me, all that fast-fast waaaay too social paranoid crap.

Couldn't even imagine the experience, but yes, people on those hype-up drugs usually need a fist to slow down. Not for noise I imagine...or perhaps only for art fag improv noise

Quote from: RyanWreck on June 27, 2012, 05:16:32 PM
I was trying to make something that made me feel like the way I did sitting in jail dope-sick but I could never find any sound that came close to creating that type of anxiety, nauseated restlessness.

I find this interesting. Maybe that is too difficult to achieve once noise actually becomes something tangible. I know early on, I had no sense of noise (including any of it's derivatives and vice versa) as a structural form. I remember reading some zine reviews and thinking how odd it seemed that it was discussed very similarly to a metal band. Especially when it came to making associations to progress and/or other artists. Never been dope sick, but I've seen one of my best friend nearly die and now fade out into a lonely zombie. Saw my other best friend lose it all, almost die 3 times and is just finishing the end of a 5 year maximum security sentence. Send him tapes frequently, including the first noise/PE/industrial one a few weeks ago - very curious to hear his thoughts. Anyway, I do agree, the true, deep anxiety of life cannot be simulated.

Quote from: hsv on June 27, 2012, 06:02:24 PM
I think my experience came more from the drug and less from the music. I felt kind of detached, in hindsight I would rather have seen that performance unstoned.

I definitely agree in this aspect. I tend to watch shows with nothing more than a buzz too. In general, intoxication and music remain in the bedroom (and obviously at work). When I'm hammer drunk at shows or with others, the music is usually rock & roll cover bands ar local bars and MCs or something that is really just party tunes meant to be forgotten or hummed later.

Quote from: hsv on June 27, 2012, 06:02:24 PM
Someone I know did speed at a Sleep concert once, that probably wasn't such a good idea.

Only weed is real.

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 27, 2012, 06:53:51 PM
"save my girlfriend who basically only enjoys "Sex Sick" and "Savage Inequalities". "

Seriously?!?

Well, we are both racist to a degree (although I don't romanticize whites either or conceive of a ZOG conspiracy), stuck between Allentown 30 miles NE (overpopulated by blacks and Latinos) and Reading 30 miles SW (ditto, and the highest murder and poverty rates in US), so that should explain Brethren. There may also be a healthy gagging fascination between the two of us. And in relation to Ryan's thoughts above, shrill ear-ringing is probably pretty close to the sensation of having a clock held in the back of your throat till nearly puking. So, thank you for that album.

eyestrain

Ahem, cock...but a clock wouldn't probably be even better.

tisbor

Harsh noise/p.e. is not exactly party music, except maybe old Whitehouse, but i always found pleasure in listening to it while drinking. I guess it goes for all kinds of music.

tiny_tove

I don't do drugs, nor alchol, but after 11 I get sleepy and look as if I am both drunk and doped. Might be the price of aging.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

RyanWreck

There were some Straight Edgers in Phoenix who I used to hang out with and they had the best parties ever, tons of fucking great food every single time, I'm talking like enough to feed an army of all different shit from BBQ and Mexican food to Vegan stuff, I wish they still had those parties. They didn't ever care that I brought a beer with me the first time I went there (out of respect I didn't drink there after that) or if I smoked in the garage. There was a show a few years back and I guess some scene kid was going around asking for coke or speed and asked a group of these guys and they said they had some in their car to sell him. So he followed to their car and they beat the shit out of him and cut his nose off with a straight razor. Some doctors re-attached it but it still looks like complete shit. 2 of them got 4 years in prison for it which isn't bad at all considering what they did. I thought it was pretty awesome.

andy vomit

ive discovered that the only way i can appreciate wall noise is if i'm stoned.  kinda gets you lost in the sound.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

XXX

recently got off the wagon (again) and have been enjoying it. I'll do most any drug save a few as long as I know who I'm buying from.

Zeno Marx

Never found the necessity to combine the two, and I enjoy both music and drugs a lot.  I have brought the two together on enough occasions, but it goes situation to situation.  One isn't a requirement for the other.

Perspectives.  There are a lot of them.  I've swam psychedelic eddies, pools, and rapids with an unadulterated mind with every bit the fantastic result as I have with beautiful hallucinogens.  The day I have to have one to find the other, I'm conceding a failure.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.