Noise and intoxication

Started by eyestrain, June 27, 2012, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

Smoking a little bud and listening to music go together like peanut butter and jelly. However, when I'm stoned I usually prefer something with standard guitar/bass/drums/vocals, so I don't often reach for the noise/pe after smoking. It's ok once in a while, but I prefer noise/pe while sober mostly.

Alcohol and noise don't mix well for me at all. Makes me nauseous.

kettu

ive only recordead noise intoxicated,(recording,mixing,artwork) everything under the influence of this and that.
never drunk though.

eyestrain

As I was reminded this morning, after work, pinner rolled - I always enjoy(ed) Control's work under the influence. Algolagnia was my personal choice. Appropriately followed up with Macronympha's Bulk Density; dozing off into sleep very satisfied.

GEWALTMONOPOL

"hurhur, when I recorded that release/listened to such n such I did soooo much drugs, cool huh?"
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

youngnosh

eyestrain

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on July 04, 2012, 12:07:29 AM
"hurhur, when I recorded that release/listened to such n such I did soooo much drugs, cool huh?"

If that's the attitude, not really very cool. I don't find an interest in doing hard drugs, while listening to/doing anything, but since marijuana is undoubtedly linked to opening up deeper levels of thought, especially after intentional direction to do such a thing, I still find a curiosity in people's opinions and experiences. Sitting down, all obligations for the day passed, imbibing in whatever it is that you prefer, and doing nothing but listening on a thicker level is actually very productive. New sounds, rhythms, intentions, and more begin to appear. Thought patterns emerge that were otherwise not possible beforehand. This can lead to creative, reflection, etc.

This can, of course, be achieved in sobriety, which is why I still listen to most music sober - don't really have a choice with family and work. Nonetheless, there is always hidden levels to be found in (certain) intoxications. Shamanism is beyond daily tasks, but a remnant of it exists in plant pharmacology. In the modern day, this is greatly shunned - a letting go of reality is anything but a positive thing. Obviously there's a divide in the board amongst, "yeah, I do, it's nice" and "drugs are stupid, I don't do them!"

I was mostly curious in hearing about experiences, but since I never said that, and never really described my own...I get what I asked for. We're talking about something potentially volatile here, since there are so many stereotypes wrapped around drug use (and abuse). To just smoke grass as a self-imposed addiction is boring. To drink aplenty because of addiction (guilty) is boring. To shoot up because of addiction is boring. Ad infinitum.

Perhaps I should make an account on Erowid.com or something haha, but I don't think I'll be able to get outside of the boundaries of Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Tenacious D, etc...

kettu

yarrrr yarrrr you youngsters with you reeffer cigarettes and your uppers and your downers.
when we was young we chewed rocks and were glad of it.

I record so rarely that I like to make it special. I dont know if I could handle the same tempo of putting out tapes as some of these other guys.

edit_ __ when I started going to gigs here in finland I was suprised about the lack of any kind of drug culture. I dont remeber smelling the devils weed at shows or seeing guys falling a sleep( exept a couple of drunkards). where as in other countries especially in the us noise and these things seem to go hand in hand.

eyestrain

Quote from: kettu on July 04, 2012, 12:28:48 AM
...when I started going to gigs here in finland I was suprised about the lack of any kind of drug culture. I dont remeber smelling the devils weed at shows or seeing guys falling a sleep( exept a couple of drunkards). where as in other countries especially in the us noise and these things seem to go hand in hand.

This is certainly true for The States. You can always find it, here in Philly and back in Pittsburgh especially, at really any venue - house, bar, club, etc. There's typically a way, or people really just don't mind. Never had a problem, or with drinking at supposedly "clean" venues, one just has not to be a dick. Which I understand many, many people are under the influence.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: eyestrain on July 04, 2012, 12:26:43 AM

If that's the attitude, not really very cool. I don't find an interest in doing hard drugs, while listening to/doing anything, but since marijuana is undoubtedly linked to opening up deeper levels of thought, especially after intentional direction to do such a thing, I still find a curiosity in people's opinions and experiences. Sitting down, all obligations for the day passed, imbibing in whatever it is that you prefer, and doing nothing but listening on a thicker level is actually very productive. New sounds, rhythms, intentions, and more begin to appear. Thought patterns emerge that were otherwise not possible beforehand. This can lead to creative, reflection, etc.

This can, of course, be achieved in sobriety, which is why I still listen to most music sober - don't really have a choice with family and work. Nonetheless, there is always hidden levels to be found in (certain) intoxications. Shamanism is beyond daily tasks, but a remnant of it exists in plant pharmacology. In the modern day, this is greatly shunned - a letting go of reality is anything but a positive thing. Obviously there's a divide in the board amongst, "yeah, I do, it's nice" and "drugs are stupid, I don't do them!"

I was mostly curious in hearing about experiences, but since I never said that, and never really described my own...I get what I asked for. We're talking about something potentially volatile here, since there are so many stereotypes wrapped around drug use (and abuse). To just smoke grass as a self-imposed addiction is boring. To drink aplenty because of addiction (guilty) is boring. To shoot up because of addiction is boring. Ad infinitum.

Perhaps I should make an account on Erowid.com or something haha, but I don't think I'll be able to get outside of the boundaries of Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Tenacious D, etc...

I don't doubt your good intentions and you make good points. I could see this thread heading into the "hurhur" territory before the first reply appeared though.

Not sure if it has been said here already but as much as drugs can help expand ones horizons and experiences they can and will more often turn people into weak and passive sacks of shit. I'm not anti drugs personally. I still enjoy them on rare occasions. Having had enough scares at a young age I think I know quite well where my limits are. Many don't and fuck themselves up. Wasted potential, wasted lives. It's their choice in the end. I can understand and maybe even sympathise with personal issues behind. I have no respect for the celebration of the enslavement or destruction of oneself. Society does it to you in several ways already, why hand it to them for free? It's weak. I despise weakness.

So, go ahead and pump yourselves full of all sorts. There will be no symathy from me if/when it goes wrong. The "hurhur aint this cool and rad" is a good place to start that age old journey towards a wasted life.

Quote from: kettu on July 04, 2012, 12:28:48 AMI dont know if I could handle the same tempo of putting out tapes as some of these other guys.

Me too.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

eyestrain

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on July 04, 2012, 01:04:50 AM
I could see this thread heading into the "hurhur" territory before the first reply appeared though.

Luckily it has not.

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on July 04, 2012, 01:04:50 AM
Not sure if it has been said here already but as much as drugs can help expand ones horizons and experiences they can and will more often turn people into weak and passive sacks of shit. It's weak. I despise weakness.

That's fine by all means. As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I've seen friends of mine fall apart under heroin's destructive influence. Nothing strong, proud, beautiful about it. I glorify it not. My friend who is nearly done with his prison term, post-addiction, has used the message of strength behind (some) PE and black metal acts as a way to channel his thoughts and actions into a more positive place. This, alongside with being full-time back into powerlifting/health has made his recovery and years in jail very productive. He would certainly agree with your statement 100%.

I'm interested in psychedelics' effects on the mind with music's hold wrapped up in there too. Drug glorification is idiotic, and like kettu said above, it can be a distinctly American thing. Which says so much about this country's condition and the condition of it's populace. Perhaps this explains a lot about Americanoise?

online prowler

Quote from: kettu on July 04, 2012, 12:28:48 AMwhen we was young we chewed rocks and were glad of it.

Føkk sake !!! HE!HE! 'm cracking up! Got tears in my eyes from laughing, sheeeeeett. Fun comment Kettu!

Reprobate

A little buzz helps, but most of the time I record sober. I like to keep my emotions pure rather than have them enhanced/influenced by drugs. Unless we're considering caffeine, but let's not be stupid.

I love listening to music drunk/stoned. Used to smoke weed, but don't anymore. Hooked on pills for a while, but happily done with that shit.

I'll tell you what though, listening to Deathpile's "G.R." while working out by myself at night was one of the most intense/scariest things I've ever experienced.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: eyestrain on July 04, 2012, 01:27:40 AM
I'm interested in psychedelics' effects on the mind with music's hold wrapped up in there too. Drug glorification is idiotic, and like kettu said above, it can be a distinctly American thing. Which says so much about this country's condition and the condition of it's populace. Perhaps this explains a lot about Americanoise?

I think the rest of the world has it too. But I agree. Though one should make some difference between cultural glorification (from a sleaze perspective) and personal. Also between the glorification of abuse and basic will for experimentation. Glorification or not, it brings things that are not there before you do it, and as with all experiences there are some levels of justification. To a point. Most people grow out of glorification I think after a while, and either quit, get a more relaxed relationship with substances or get fucked for it. Psychedelics are the only one's I've bothered to "glorify" due to its extraordinary effects to perception. But I do not think its anything more than that to it.

Perhaps it is the same as with alcohol glorification (whatever substance). We have all these alcoholic glorifiers too. I can personally find some meaning in expressions of weakness and failure, I do not despise it. Rather I find it more interesting than the concept of strenght a lot of times. In culture and art. In my real life I prefer to avoid it, with varied success...

Jordan

One time I listened to CCCC and Incapacitants for like 24 hours after having a total breakthrough/melt down mind blowing mystical experience on 5-MEO-AMT and speed and it was the most wonderful thing I have ever experienced. I haven't been able to locate any 5-meo-amt since though. WAY crazier than acid. This little asian girl died taking 4 hits of it I think. The time I did it mentioned above I think I took 5 hits and my tiny girlfriend took 4. Absolute, total insanity.

That's my only drug taking and noise listening story though. Although, I'm always on drugs (caffeine, nicotine, morphine, alcohol, marijuana makes up my usual daily intake, but not crazy amounts or anything), so I guess all my noise listening is done while intoxicated, but that's just normal for me. It would probably be more interesting to try listening to noise sober.

jesusfaggotchrist

aside from caffeine, nicotine and the occasional alcohol, I do not use drugs. used to, don't have the desire to.