Noise and intoxication

Started by eyestrain, June 27, 2012, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_progress

If you need drugs to enjoy records then you're listening to the wrong stuff

I drink but not as pre-requisite for hearing records, just for it's own sake I mean.  Doesn't affect my perception of what makes a good record or not

Black_Angkar

Quote from: no_progress on July 12, 2012, 10:36:57 AM

I drink but not as pre-requisite for hearing records, just for it's own sake I mean.  Doesn't affect my perception of what makes a good record or not

Couldn't that be said about any kind of music? NEEDING drugs in order to enjoy music is hardly the point for most I suppose. I'm pretty sure most people combining drugs and music does not do it to be able to enjoy music in itself? Rather, the point would be that drugs enhance/distort your senses and that can be very forceful or intense in combination with the right music (I would argue any kind of music really). I'd be having a hard time picturing those who really DO need drugs or alcohol in order to appreciate a good record (while I'm sure they exist, I do think a lot of music sounds better drunk, but that is generally stuff I'm not too keen on while sober)

no_progress

Quote from: Johann on July 13, 2012, 03:25:32 AM
Quote from: no_progress on July 12, 2012, 10:36:57 AM

maybe rave kids do this...

sounds like you just don't enjoy drugs, or lack experience with them and are forming a generalization based on a bias against them. because reading through this topic i don't see where the conclusion was made that people here take drugs to enjoy records/live acts/etc that they wouldn't otherwise enjoy...

I never said they did, I was just making a general point not directed at anyone in particular.   I didn't read through the thread just replied to the first question  re- curious to hear people's opinions :)

eyestrain

Quote from: Johann on July 13, 2012, 03:25:32 AM
that being said, i love me some psychedelics....the residents is the most demented sounding thing i have ever listened to on them, totally morphed into something completely different, totally fucking mind blowing almost frightening haha. as far as other noise stuff goes we (my girl and i) listened to Changez by Blockaders and that was total mental confusion, metallic birds chirping and me not knowing what was happening in the apartment or outside hah...however recently, the more i've taken the less i've been into listening to music while tripping, though i still focuses intensely on environmental sound that surrounds me. i think the thing that really changed it for me was about a year ago, i was having kinda a rough time adjusting to Dallas so we split the rest of the batch we had, i took 5 fairly large hits of LSD and laid down, it was the first time (of about 40 times tripping together) we didn't turn on any music of any kind (or lights for that matter, we just lit candles)...i woke up peaking just covered in drool and i could hear my dog licking, just big sloppy amazing wet sounds, we spent the rest of the evening in a field next to the DART (kinda a trolley) tracks just listening to the birds, insects, train and distant air conditioners early into the morning hours...i always loved field recording and environmental sound but it just put it at a different level....to those who have never done psychedelics (and opinion my defer person to person) i always feel it makes the whole environment raise to almost an equal level in your ear, it can be overwhelming, but it is amazing.

regarding recording/performing on it, i've never done it in a live sense, though i feel it'd come more natural than ever (because i feel like in the right situation you become so much more in tune with yourself and the people your playing with) and it's helped me to work through a lot of ideas i was kinda stuck at the beginning of allowing me to develop them by really opening up to other ways of thinking about them.

Thanks for understanding the gist of what I was getting at; transformation via intoxication! Sounds like quite a trip. And this sort of experience could lead to further developments and experimentation. Even if the power of results are only personal.