The Peak of P.E.

Started by KMusselman, July 08, 2012, 07:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: KMusselman on July 10, 2012, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on July 10, 2012, 12:08:06 AM
I personally think its horseshit that just because I was born too late (St. Vitus, hur hur) the genre as a whole is completely null at this point. Makes it seem like an " elite good ol' boys club", then an actual musical community at times.

sorry you feel that way.  that was not at all my intention for starting the thread.  i'm hardly an elitist.  i came into the genre late 90's/early 2000 and I feel that I am too late.  i just feel i need to collect the classics so that my collection is representative.  P.E. is NOT dead.  i personally don't like the shift from the old to the new.

it's all good...

Not taking a stab at you or anyone precisely. Just speaking in general terms.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

Fair enough. I personally think its horseshit that just because I was born too late (St. Vitus, hur hur) the genre as a whole is completely null at this point. Makes it seem like an " elite good ol' boys club", then an actual musical community at times.
There isn't an art movement in history that doesn't have an established golden period and a group of high-point artists within that period.  All music is included in that phenomenon.  Classic rock.  Hair metal.  Synth pop.  Prog.  Krautrock.  Swedish death metal.  Painters.  Sculptors.  Writers.  You name it.  Others dabble in the style afterwards, but the golden period is always the golden period.  As time moves forward, the parameters tighten and become better defined.  That implies that the others fall outside of those parameters.  You can view things however you'd like, but the chaos you seem to prefer wouldn't contribute to the formation of a culture.  And we can have these discussions because we are functioning within a culture.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 10, 2012, 12:51:48 AM
Others dabble in the style afterwards, but the golden period is always the golden period.  As time moves forward, the parameters tighten and become better defined. You can view things however you'd like, but the chaos you seem to prefer wouldn't contribute to the formation of a culture.

Well you sound like you got yourself a history degree like myself. Ahalan wasahalan ya oustatha!

Couldn't you say that chaos is what aided in creating industrial/power electronics though? Same could be said for punk too. Breaking away from "norms" and what not? Trying to step away from what founding fathers had done already? Isn't it about the drive to keep pushing boundaries, or just constantly settling for what others have done before?

Why settle for what someone declares instead of evolve past it?

PSALM 109

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: KMusselman on July 10, 2012, 01:17:28 AM
Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on July 10, 2012, 01:04:07 AM
Well you sound like you got yourself a history degree like myself. Ahalan wasahalan ya oustatha!

I have a degree in Psychology :-)

Nice. I often thought of taking classes towards that but I didn't care enough at the time.

I got a degree I didn't even want in the first place.

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

Couldn't you say that chaos is what aided in creating industrial/power electronics though? Same could be said for punk too.
Nope, I don't harbor any delusions of grandeur about this music.  The Ramones and punk evolved out of certain conditions, and now we have it.  Same for all things.  Artists don't exist outside of anything.  They don't create out of a vacuum.  It's quite the opposite.  I don't see a lot of chaos in that, unless you consider accident to be chaos.  I don't.
why settle for what someone declares instead of evolve past it?
I never said anyone should, but to become disheartened or frustrated with a conversation like this is silly.

(I don't have any history in art)
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 10, 2012, 01:23:03 AM
Couldn't you say that chaos is what aided in creating industrial/power electronics though? Same could be said for punk too.
Nope, I don't harbor any delusions of grandeur about this music.  The Ramones and punk evolved out of certain conditions, and now we have it.  Same for all things.  Artists don't exist outside of anything.  They don't create out of a vacuum.  It's quite the opposite.  I don't see a lot of chaos in that, unless you consider accident to be chaos.  I don't.
why settle for what someone declares instead of evolve past it?
I never said anyone should, but to become disheartened or frustrated with a conversation like this is silly.

(I don't have any history in art)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what they were doing at the time was considered "chaos" to those around them and the average listener.

Not disheartened or frustrated, just chit chatting. You mad?

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Good one, seriously.

PSALM 109

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I don't understand why some people don't want to talk here about music but they crave to attack other interlocutors (not their views) or put somebody down. Something like politicians or celebrites... Perhaps such situations are for somebody more interesting as talking about value of music/art, but then this forum couldn't exist for such desires. Always somebody can use PM option.   

Zeno Marx

The best of conversations always wander.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Makes it seem like an " elite good ol' boys club", then an actual musical community at times.

Every generation has its heroes and every younger generation should say "no" to previous "heroes". For example, in Poland small harsh noise community don't respect such projects as WHITEHOUSE, MERZBOW, TNB and many other well known from 80. and 90. They didn't listen even TG, SPK or EG, not to mention krautrock or academic avantgarde, for them those projects haven't common points with "true noise". They worship such acts like: XOME, FACIALMESS!, SICKNESS and exceptionally elder Japan artist Kazumoto Endo. Initially I didn't understand them, how they could love NOISE if they ignore something what have established aesthetic canons and run all that big avalanche. But next I saw their logic and cruel blade sword of the time. Every next generation (receivers and artists) is able to understand  PE/NOISE/INDUSTRIAL phenomena much more better than those people who were shaped by their "heroes". Then, NOISE isn't reason to sentimental back to "better" time, to our youth, and looking for in that "golden age". This is one of the reason why I am very interested in views of young people about avantgarde, industrial/PE/noise from 70/80/90s, especially, when they try to see this period in their eyes, not too much covered/influenced by opinions, books, magazines, interviews of other, elder receivers.

HongKongGoolagong

On paper I like the idea of Power Electronics. A musical scene that is pretty much devoted to certain extreme acts and certain extreme images and relentlessly follows its vision all the way through. And yet when you see it, it's a disappointment. I've never really liked anything too prescriptive with regards to music. Imagery, lyrics or whatever. If something's as narrow a church as Power Electronics or black metal appear to be, then you don't want to spend a lot of time with them.

http://thequietus.com/articles/09307-consumer-electronics-philip-best-interview

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on July 17, 2012, 04:40:46 PM
On paper I like the idea of Power Electronics. A musical scene that is pretty much devoted to certain extreme acts and certain extreme images and relentlessly follows its vision all the way through. And yet when you see it, it's a disappointment. I've never really liked anything too prescriptive with regards to music. Imagery, lyrics or whatever. If something's as narrow a church as Power Electronics or black metal appear to be, then you don't want to spend a lot of time with them.

This is the best example why I don't like reading interviews with people who create music which I like very much.

bitewerksMTB

Seems like he's describing what he does perfectly.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

There's way too many people making music these days. There's too much. I was thinking some form of taxation or something...

I didn't know that quality of music depends on how many artists create it - the more does it, from bad to worth with music. Mr. Best is a combatant, a sad grandad...