Minimalist noise

Started by Peterson, July 24, 2012, 09:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

I was thinking there should be a topic dedicated to this style.  Personally I find myself really enjoying the style, but being very picky with who I will actually listen to (more than once). I believe the "genre" is not defined by the use of static, or crunch, crackle, whatever, but it's use of linear sounds moving minimally toward some kind of crescendo.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

French REJET is, in my opinion, much more interesting than VOMIR, and one of the best in this subgenre.

RyanWreck

I'm not a fan but I figured I shoudl point out the "HNW Essentials" thread which may be of interest to you:

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=716.0

bitewerksMTB

Ryan Bloomer is Canadian, eh. Agree on wanting his gear & label active again. Not sure what happened to him; last msg I remember he mentioned underwater welding.

Andrew McIntosh

Minimalism has always been a component of Noise. Much of Non's material is a classic example - the "Ragnarok Rune" ep is just a few organ chords looped, basically. Chop Shop features pretty basic blocks of solid sound. Some Whitehouse material like "Movement" is as stark and unmoving as it gets (and I recall an interview where Bennett describes what he does as minimalist). Aube loves getting as much as possible from repetition and small input. These are just some obvious examples.

I agree with Peterson about Grunt's "Installation etc", as a nice, basic construction of simple measures. Hal Hutchinson's upright use of layering un-effected metal junk abuse can very well be seen as minimalist, especially "Removing Aesthetics" with its looped background. Not sure if I'd classify Pestdemon as minimal, though - his material is often well nuanced and changing throughout his pieces, particularly the longer ones. I think "use of linear sounds moving minimally toward some kind of crescendo" can be just one description. There's also a stark, unchanging piece of sound that has the same elements throughout, which I would regard as minimal in composition. Whether it's a few basic elements that are clearly different, yet unchanging throughout the piece, or one basic element that dominates the piece.

I was always unsatisfied with the term "minimalism" when describing the music of such noted composers as Glass, Reich, Riley, etc. I would have thought "serialism" would have been a better term but I imagine there's issues with that. Morton Feldman is what I would call a minimalist composer, with classics like "Why Patterns?" and "For Samuel Beckett", being varied in intricacy but static in approach. I think the same kind of composition could apply to Noise if describing it as minimalist. Although it would depend, I suppose, on how much intricacy is involved - for example, some Japanese Harsh Noise may sound like a huge rush of oblivion on first listen but when one's ears get attuned there is all sorts of such intricate detail that it's obvious there's nothing minimal about it at all.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

If one looks for simple descriptions what is minimalism in art:
QuoteMinimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is set out to expose the essence, essentials or identity of a subject through eliminating all non-essential forms, features or concepts.

In some way, vast part of "harsh noise" is minimalist. When eliminating variation of sound sources, removing forms other than necessary,... study the very essence of core element(s) of material. How versatile can the core be to qualify? If Aube takes one source and one method, but ends up doing more than just single drone.. would it qualify?  It's like question can we accept painting with more than black square qualify "minimalism"? Will the most extreme make others obsolete? Will careful composition ruin minimalism if people only associate it with test-tone level extremism? While in many fields of creation - it really is up to utterly careful composition what is base of minimalism.

One can easily see what kind of noise isn't minimalism, but sonic fireworks and uncontrolled chaos of ideas jumping from one to another. Vast majority of harder stuff hardly belongs to that. Often sessions are restricted under very limited range.

Also question would be is it minimalism if there is not conscious effort? Is there difference of blasting out simple noise and actual study & exposure of essence of specific sounds? If in just about all other arts, minimalism would require utmost attention, delicate taste of detail, measure, scale, timing, repetition, contrasts, etc etc. it would be weird that in context of noise, simply "nothing happens" or "lets blast some random stuff" qualifies?

Aube from sound and design fits to my image quite well, BUT, how term in generally accepted, I think it's hard at this point to start re-defining ;)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

heretogo

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 25, 2012, 09:20:23 AM
Also question would be is it minimalism if there is not conscious effort?

This is a very interesting point, I think. Maybe there is a need for a specific subgenre of noise (and perhaps other things as well...) - minimalism through incompetence? The idea has some aesthetic appeal in itself but most of all underlines some of the basic problems associated with (current) noise in my opinion. I like the notion of fools producing simplistic static just because they cannot do anything better. But like many other pleasing ideals, maybe such noise is best enjoyed by not actually listening to the records, rather just savor the idea by itself. Or perhaps one could approach the issue with a beautiful coffeetable art book? Just high quality photos of the releases without all the tedious noise. Probably a simple list of the effects used on each tape/cdr would be enough of "content".

Andrew McIntosh

Why did I forget to mention Brighter Death Now, Attrax Morgue and Morder Machine? In fact, Death Industrial in general loves to distill Noise to the very essence.
Shikata ga nai.

Bleak Existence

I'm Canadian too & some of my release may fit that category like:

Organic Obsession
HNW Is Not Dead
Uncertainty & Insecurity