New good harsh noise?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 12, 2011, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vomitgore

I would say Maskhead is one of the hottest Harsh Noise newcomers. Great positioning between dirty Industrial and heavily distorted sounds. Two other promising acts are Finnish Rotat and Yasuhito Fujinami.

Duncan

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 18, 2015, 12:00:05 AM
I have seen AODL at least three times, and I wouldn't call it harsh noise, but I do enjoy it thoroughly.  I don't remember any of his recording being what I'd call harsh noise.  

Weird, I have a few AODL things and it is just blistering, cut up heavy noise.  Dunno if it is all different now though.  The releases I have date at least 10 years back so dunno if it classes as new anymore but definitely something I'd recommend.

collapsedhole

AODL is awesome harsh noise but i have tapes from almost 10 years ago so definitely not a 'new' project...

as for TORBA i only have the split tape with KRUBE - don't remember it being harsh noise but it is very good. crude & noisey sound collage, kinda schimpfluch style... i just checked discogs... seems he has a lot more releases in the past few years then i thought... he's one i will need to catch up on for sure. what are some of his harsher works?

as for NEW harsh noise i kinda draw a blank except for a group of midwest usa guys who are kickin ass and keeping the torch burning... fucking DETERGE is amazing, though not always strictly HN every release is worthwhile and live sets are so intense...you really see the cathartic aspect of noise seeing/hearing him live...
ORGASMIC RESPONSE UNIT / anything the tandy bros do gets the seal of approval.... ACTION/DISCIPLINE - anything brad griggs is involved with... A/D is a collab between him and BREAKING THE WILL... and BTW live is violent ejaculation of harsh purity! i love how stefan must have hid in the background for years perfecting his craft - now comes out of nowhere playing shows and blowing peoples fucking minds! best pure harsh noise i've heard since NECKHOLD! and NECKHOLD is THE BEST!

eyestrain

VelvetCurtain

Perhaps 2016 would be a good time to revive this topic? I think harsh noise proper is still plenty but what is the best, in terms of recent acts and releases?

Obviously, Wince. I would also say Scent impressed me quite a bit.

whiteheatnoise

Lots of great new harsh noise as of recent, and it's hard to recall everything, but here's a short list:

-Anything Chris Conroy-related, including Vat, Unpenis, and Slave Coordination. He also runs the excellent Everything as Dung label. He's a master of producing some of the roughest, nasty sounding "trash harsh noise". For lovers of corroded, blasting sounds.

-Kiran Arora, formerly of Los Angeles, CA, and now living in Austin, TX. I had the pleasure of sharing a few bills with him last week on a short Texas tour and it was a treat to watch him perform every night. Sometimes blown-out 4 track harsh noise and sometimes harsh guitar noise a la Solmania, but more full-force and straight ahead. His tape that came out on Presh a few years back is highly recommended if you can manage to find a copy, otherwise, stay tuned for a tape on Skeleton Dust eventually.

-Have also been enjoying the output coming out of the Team Boro Tapes camp...liked all of the recent tapes I've heard, but the VMS Elit "Destruction Derby" tape really hit the spot, as well as the various Schakalens Bror tapes released on the label. According to the label owner, the guy behind SB isn't really a harsh head by any means, which makes the ripping guitar noise on the tapes that much more endearing.

Duncan

Scouring this thread I've adored the Wrong Hole stuff I heard and enjoyed a lot of Wince too.

This has tickled a thirst for really gritty, nasty harsh noise.  Lots of the other recommendations are probably great if you have a few tapes or whatever to listen to but the few online sources I can find are pretty boring washes of barely moving sound...maybe like an overdriven field recording???

Keeping this thread alive for gutter, textural, saturated harsh noise suggestions.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Duncan on April 07, 2016, 01:24:49 AMgutter

Here's good topic for such noise: http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=148.0

Hoping to keep this topic alive as well: http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=6120.0

Judging by samples I've heard, I think those two Publication Ban tapes should fit in Harsh/Raw Tape Noise thread. Should give em a proper spin soon.

Duncan

Thanks, I am aware of those threads and enjoy reading them.

I suppose tape is often in play when going for those super gutter noises but I'm still keen to investigate this thread for the general gamut of new, harsh noise.

Don't think I'd heard of Constrain before checking out a sample today and that was very, very nice.

bile

VAT, Unpenis, any of the other Everything as Dung/Chris Conroy projects (a modern master...). New Forces released "Bubble Probe" last year and it was difficult to pull out of my deck all winter.

*edit - Noticed his work was already mentioned (on this page no less)...consider my post a "seconding".

acsenger

I'm joining those who praise Constrain. After being blown away by Option to Hide, I ordered The Boundary too, and it's just as good. Solid, dynamic, well-crafted harsh noise. It has enough creativity that although it's not anything radically new, it never gets boring. The sound of these tapes is great too.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 18, 2015, 12:00:05 AM
Mutant Ape

Since I thought a new topic for this question was a bit over the top, I ask here in the hope that someone knows: what has happened to the Turgid Animal/Mutant Ape/etc website? It's been down for weeks, if not a month.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Potier

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead. Nothing added in 4 years is shocking.

I have been somewhat selective in recent times with picking up new material from projects I don't really know - this is in part due to price increases in distribution etc.

Anything you'd recommend that has stood out for you in the last few years?

Still feels like some of the "older" names/people involved are starting new collaborations or projects on the side.

There are some names that are thrown around a lot and I can't say I have heard much from projects like Blind Date or Jackson Pratt or the like...this may well be my own fault...

I have enjoyed a lot of the Scathing-material I picked up and on this forum there seems to have been a bit more of a focus on the Finnish scene recently judging from the lengthy thread...

Maybe there is more to be added to this important thread from days past...

Baglady

Isn't new good harsh noise covered rather well in the playlist thread? Either way... Heat Signature, Worth, Wince and Body Carve have stood out for me the last couple of years, each in their own way.