PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Master "Cut Through the Filth" - one of those songs I wake up thinking about.  riffs.  HEAVY.  tambourine.

I find Motorhead's Bomber to be a near-perfect album musically.  Their best, too.  Not your biggest Motorhead fan, but I sure do love that album.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

urall

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 15, 2016, 07:08:33 PM
Master "Cut Through the Filth" - one of those songs I wake up thinking about.  riffs.  HEAVY.  tambourine.

FLUTE! fucking perfect song.

HOGRA

SUGARCUBES - best pop band of the 80's.

Peterson

"Secret" PE/HN C20 (Finders)

Well, it's hard to write a review for a project/tape you aren't at liberty to divulge any information about. Here goes: this little cassette came to me through someone indirectly associated with the Finders label, so connect the dots if you're interested. Though this isn't the same person, this tape sounds a little like the Libertinage private tape from Bitewerks - side A is old-school "ripper-style" PE (more like harsh noise, really) with emphasis on high end, mostly probably feedback, with some textured tape noise or routed mixer signal feedback to add "body." As far as effects, reverb and maybe some echo. No fancy modulation whatsoever. Little clue: this cassette also shares some similarities in sound to Male Rape Group, the one-off Philip Best & Gary Mundy PE project from the early '80s. Basically, this is bare-bones electronic noise/power electronics with a physical, spacious sound; it's got the violence most would hopefully be looking for. Side B continues along the same lines, but introducing some more movement immediately, as well as more of the "physical" textures, this time fairly abraisive and gritty. Sounds distinctly like reel-to-reel tape manipulations, but I tend to be a bad guesser when it comes to source sounds. The high-end feedback sounds tend to flutter a bit more, much to my liking, on this side, although it sounds more like a broken microphone/torn speaker than any kind of effect pedal. For fans of: early Sutcliffe Jugend, Male Rape Group, Consumer Electronics, Mauthausen Orchestra, etc. Until the project explores deeper territory sonically and visually, I'm not sure why this would appeal to anyone else. Considering the name of the project and subject matter, I would certainly hope further exploration occurs in the future.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Peterson on October 18, 2016, 12:06:46 AM
"Secret" PE/HN C20 (Finders)

Well, it's hard to write a review for a project/tape you aren't at liberty to divulge any information about. Here goes: this little cassette came to me through someone indirectly associated with the Finders label, so connect the dots if you're interested. Though this isn't the same person, this tape sounds a little like the Libertinage private tape from Bitewerks - side A is old-school "ripper-style" PE (more like harsh noise, really) with emphasis on high end, mostly probably feedback, with some textured tape noise or routed mixer signal feedback to add "body." As far as effects, reverb and maybe some echo. No fancy modulation whatsoever. Little clue: this cassette also shares some similarities in sound to Male Rape Group, the one-off Philip Best & Gary Mundy PE project from the early '80s. Basically, this is bare-bones electronic noise/power electronics with a physical, spacious sound; it's got the violence most would hopefully be looking for. Side B continues along the same lines, but introducing some more movement immediately, as well as more of the "physical" textures, this time fairly abraisive and gritty. Sounds distinctly like reel-to-reel tape manipulations, but I tend to be a bad guesser when it comes to source sounds. The high-end feedback sounds tend to flutter a bit more, much to my liking, on this side, although it sounds more like a broken microphone/torn speaker than any kind of effect pedal. For fans of: early Sutcliffe Jugend, Male Rape Group, Consumer Electronics, Mauthausen Orchestra, etc. Until the project explores deeper territory sonically and visually, I'm not sure why this would appeal to anyone else. Considering the name of the project and subject matter, I would certainly hope further exploration occurs in the future.

Well that's just a cock-tease!

david lloyd jones

the entire 'finders' label seems like a vanity label trading on mystique and rarity rather than making good music for all those interested.
just heard the one release from them-the koufar tape and that was good, so for the label to be secret/limited etc shows lack of faith in their talents to rely on  hype.

sterilization

You seem like you are a casual consumer of noise that lacked the obsessive dedication to closely follow the labels activities on a daily basis. Had you been more diligent in your quest to possess the labels output, you would have had a rough estimation of when the items would become available and then you would have obsessively checked your email looking for the mailing list update that alerted you to the store going live.

In short, you are projecting your frustration for your own shortcomings onto the label, when apparently the labels output was never meant for you anyway.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: sterilization on October 20, 2016, 06:52:48 PM
You seem like you are a casual consumer of noise that lacked the obsessive dedication to closely follow the labels activities on a daily basis. Had you been more diligent in your quest to possess the labels output, you would have had a rough estimation of when the items would become available and then you would have obsessively checked your email looking for the mailing list update that alerted you to the store going live.

In short, you are projecting your frustration for your own shortcomings onto the label, when apparently the labels output was never meant for you anyway.
having bought my first throbbing gristle album in 1979 and followed the genre ever since, I hardly see myself as casual.
I have however, seen new labels attempt to be important using small edition numbers and mystique talk things up.
btw I am n the mailing list

FreakAnimalFinland

Clock DVA ‎: Horology - DVAtion 78/79/80 6xLP box
Vinyl On Demand
This came out back in 2012. I never listened it. Just put in shelves thinking why the hell, Clock DVA?! Just as member, you got what came out. At first I was thinking, I should give it a try, and then see what could be its value nowadays, if should just sell it away if someone needs it.
However, after first LP my impression was, that this ain't the Clock DVA I thought it would be.... Going through entire 6xLP in two days and felt there was only handful of tracks what I didn't feel were for my taste. Few too "poppy" electro songs. In other hand, they did offer surprisingly noisy, real industrial music in many occasions. Few semi jazzy or kraut wibes here and there. However, already half way through I knew this isn't item to sell away, but keep. Not sure what else would be worth getting. Friend recommended "White Souls In Black Suits" (industrial records).

The Hafler Trio ‎: A Cure For Kenophobia — Being An Empowerment In 4 Easy Stages — At Very Reasonable Rates 4xLP
Vinyl On Demand
As part of ongoing project, of going through all VOD boxes I have, before end of year 2016, this was next. At some point, I just didn't have enough time to listen LP's. Especially not all these boxes. Year piled after previous year, and had only time to check the absolute mandatory ones. SPK. Laibach. etc. It may be odd, but I dislike "The Hafler Trio" name. Not really the band itself, but the name. It's something hard to explain, but it's one of those names that simply prevents me to ever really be excited of releases. Even if I know about it being highly praised and respected group. This release, was so minimal in presentation, I grabbed it from shelves without remembering what it was. Box says nothing. Vinyl records say very little. When record was already removed from sleeve, it was logical to spin it. If I had noticed name of group before, probably would have postponed listening and went for other box. Luckily, turns out box is very nice minimal drone/electronic ambient hiss. Some odd rhythms as well. It ain't repeating the same thing, but each LP is enough different. Perphaps I should check what other Hafler Trio stuff I have, but hardly ever listen to... If there is this type of icy and minimal ambient humming, it could be good.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

casual consumer of noise that lacked the obsessive dedication to closely follow the labels activities on a daily basis.

I think that is more of "consumer" behavior than not following. All "obsessions" ain't worth of praise. I don't think any label should require following on daily basis. If it means that one could miss something completely due lack of checking emails nonstop, I think label isn't for "obsessive fanatics", but for slaves of worst modern lifestyles.

Of course, with Finders, I assume this is not the case. Someone who visit this forum, may have come across label name or scans of flyers and lists of what is to be done and even what has been planned. Not sure if contact addresses has been posted, but I'd assume asking artists who did release on them could help if one wants to get in touch. In a way, I do appreciate that one needs to do little more than "click to order". But at this point also making things unnecessarily difficult seems artificial. Like: advertising, but not giving contact address. This is gimmick. If you don't want people to talk about label or get the releases, there are way better way to achieve it than advertising.

There are lots of secret releases, club releases, closed forums, closed social media groups, for many kinds of transgressive music. There are also releases that are available, but not strongly promoted. You get them if you ask them. This year I received surprisingly many "closed BM circles" offering some ultra limited "secret" BM tapes or vinyl. However, I rather would get TDK with dub of bands rehearsal demo, that is given when one is in contact with makers. Tapes that are dubbed when needed. Not some hand numbered secret collectible item. Latter one always appears a bit more like ongoing PR to create aura of mystery. As if it would be achieved by gimmicks and not by actual substance. Giving and getting "rare" items when being in personal contact is vastly different.

I don't think I have any Finders releases at this moment, but maybe some day! Stuff appears like something I could like, but so far not managed to finish arrangement with label. Not been fanatically begging, though...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

david lloyd jones

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 20, 2016, 07:41:16 PM
casual consumer of noise that lacked the obsessive dedication to closely follow the labels activities on a daily basis.

I think that is more of "consumer" behavior than not following. All "obsessions" ain't worth of praise. I don't think any label should require following on daily basis. If it means that one could miss something completely due lack of checking emails nonstop, I think label isn't for "obsessive fanatics", but for slaves of worst modern lifestyles.

Of course, with Finders, I assume this is not the case. Someone who visit this forum, may have come across label name or scans of flyers and lists of what is to be done and even what has been planned. Not sure if contact addresses has been posted, but I'd assume asking artists who did release on them could help if one wants to get in touch. In a way, I do appreciate that one needs to do little more than "click to order". But at this point also making things unnecessarily difficult seems artificial. Like: advertising, but not giving contact address. This is gimmick. If you don't want people to talk about label or get the releases, there are way better way to achieve it than advertising.

There are lots of secret releases, club releases, closed forums, closed social media groups, for many kinds of transgressive music. There are also releases that are available, but not strongly promoted. You get them if you ask them. This year I received surprisingly many "closed BM circles" offering some ultra limited "secret" BM tapes or vinyl. However, I rather would get TDK with dub of bands rehearsal demo, that is given when one is in contact with makers. Tapes that are dubbed when needed. Not some hand numbered secret collectible item. Latter one always appears a bit more like ongoing PR to create aura of mystery. As if it would be achieved by gimmicks and not by actual substance. Giving and getting "rare" items when being in personal contact is vastly different.

I don't think I have any Finders releases at this moment, but maybe some day! Stuff appears like something I could like, but so far not managed to finish arrangement with label. Not been fanatically begging, though...

according to some artistes of the label, you do!
that said my aguement was about quality as opposed to relying on (lack of) quantity for your value.

I may be wrong here, but there seems to be lots of labels pumping up their product, maybe with a 'name', to advance.

Vermin Marvin

[quote/]
having bought my first throbbing gristle album in 1979 and followed the genre ever since, I hardly see myself as casual.
I have however, seen new labels attempt to be important using small edition numbers and mystique talk things up.
[/quote]

Guessed you are bitter 15 year old newborn nihilist or something but i was wrong, my bad.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Vermin Marvin on October 20, 2016, 09:10:30 PM
[quote/]

Guessed you are bitter 15 year old newborn nihilist or something but i was wrong, my bad.
[/quote]

no, honestly, no problem, just a bitter 55year old nihilist with attachment issues and a drink issue amongst other things

MMMM

I was interested in Finders initially and I suppose I still am(didn't hear anything, didn't buy anything so far due to not being from the US), but the pseudo-underground posturing does feel more like a forced image thing than anything else, taking into account their presence and activities on large social media sites and the whole prolonged "promotional" cycle that lead up to the first batch of releases on those social media sites.
An elongated campaign of teaser images and audio snippets etc. instead of just letting the finished work speak for itself, felt like the worst sort of contrived hype-baiting. There's nothing particularly old-school, underground or inaccessible about Tumblr and Instagram, is there?

Just announcing the releases on a forum like this one once they were ready to go would have felt a lot more genuine but hey, if they did that it might have taken them a few weeks to sell all their stuff instead of a few hours, and who can wait that long?

I have been listening to and very much enjoying This Is Always Where You've Lived by Secret Boyfriend. Damaged and nocturnal collection of synth or guitar driven pop/folk interspersed with equally primitive atmospheric pieces and occasional outbursts of noise and distortion. Feels like something that would have come out on Siltbreeze when that label was still great. I can't praise it enough.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 20, 2016, 07:41:16 PM

I believe you have been party to swaps regarding finders releases(according to the relevant artistes), but nonetheless, the general argument holds true.
that said, limited edition releases don't make for automatic classic releases, which,i suspect some labels are aiming for.