Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 27, 2013, 10:26:51 PM
People get paid to drink Brandy professionally?

Well, I like to think so. Wouldn't mind joining their ranks one day myself.
Shikata ga nai.

youngnosh

Anyone into home brewing?
My first brew of cider is a couple of weeks away from the bottling stage - really looking forward to tasting it.
I've found the whole process really enjoyable.

moozz

Quote from: youngnosh on August 17, 2013, 03:37:20 PM

I've been brewing beer with a couple of friends for about 1.5 years now. I was really surprised the beer has not only been drinkable but sometimes really really good. But it is hard to make a balanced beer. I find a lot of commercial beers also lacking this balance so I am not troubled by that :) I think we have brewed around 500 liters so far. No real failures, some a bit bland maybe. For one we used too much bitter orange peel and it ended up tasting like Cointreau which is not the taste I want in my beer.

WAKO

Drinking some Lost Coast Indica right now. Good stuff but I drink so much beer that I am becoming bored with all of the local stuff.

Levas

My biggest discovery in the world of beers from the day I've found wheat beer, was IPA a week or so ago. I've tasted just a few flavours of local breweries, but that radically bitter taste is truly fantastic. 

Bleak Existence

Alexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop Ale

SNR

One of my favourites. 10.5%, 0.5 liter baltic porter / double buck. Thick, heavy, and alcoholic.

HongKongGoolagong

Halfway through Gene Gregorits' great great book Fishhook and his frequent evocations of the Monastrell grape (which his publishing company is named after) intrigued me enough to seek some out. Found a blend with some in - under its French name Mourvedre - something called Chateau De Jau 2010, a fiver at Asda. Heady stuff indeed, real wine for the hardened liver and the permanently pickled brain, stunning taste. Not making me want to commit auto-cannibalism yet though.

RG

Quote from: youngnosh on August 17, 2013, 03:37:20 PM

I've been homebrewing for a couple years now, though not so much lately since my brew partner moved away. I've probably done 30+ batches so far, mostly 2.5-3 gallon "brew in a bag" batches early on but I recently built a rubbermade cooler mash tun and have moved onto 5 gallon all-grain batches. I also have a dedicated fermentation fridge, so I've been able to do a few lagers. I've brewed just about every major style to varying degrees of success...my favorites are probably IPAs and Belgian beers. Belgian beers are truly unique and are fun to brew because they use different spices and odd yeast strains. The strangest brew I've done was a brown ale that used chilie peppers...it only got hotter the longer it stayed in the bottle. I ended up using quite a bit of it for cooking instead of drinking (marinade, beer cheese soup)

Right now I have these in bottles:
- Hop-bursted American pale ale
- split Belgian Wit (split 5 gallons of wort in half and fermented with different yeasts)

fun hobby with endless possibilities! You don't have to sink a ton of money into it to get enjoyment either, although it's definitely possible to go that route.

totalblack

Quote from: Bleak Existence on September 03, 2013, 01:46:41 AM
Alexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop Ale

+1

But you and I converse about this frequently

Coma Detox

The Bruery Tart of Darkness

Levas

So I was reading about Andre Rene Rousimoff aka the Giant - wrestler, actor etc. and found this:

Roussimoff has been unofficially crowned "The Greatest Drunk on Earth" for once consuming 119 12-US-fluid-ounce (350 ml) beers (over 41 litres) in 6 hours. On an episode of WWE's Legends of Wrestling, Mike Graham said André once drank 156, 16-US-fluid-ounce (470 ml) beers in one sitting, which was confirmed by Dusty Rhodes. Such feats can be attributed to his large size, which meant it took higher amounts of alcohol to inebriate him. In her autobiography, The Fabulous Moolah writes that André drank 127 beers in a Reading, Pennsylvania, hotel bar and later passed out in the lobby. The staff could not move him and had to leave him there until the giant awoke from his slumber.

Not bad.

Bleak Existence

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.