Noise Music as Queer Expression

Started by kittymagic, October 18, 2010, 07:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittymagic

FreakAnimalFinland

I read it last year, but read it again...

Quote from: article saysDespite the strong theoretical connection between queer sexuality and "queer" forms of music, noise doesn't always signify queerness. For example, the ubiquitous violence and misogyny in power electronics place it closer to the hypermasculinity of grindcore and gore/death metal. Today, the harsh noise and black noise genres are also dominated by artists and bands that occupy a similar niche, where tolerance for noise is used as a measure of machismo. The rosters of labels like Hanson Records, Troniks/PACrec, and Hospital Productions are almost entirely male-dominated, and their catalogs feature collaborative releases from seemingly every permutation of the artists they represent. This "bro-down" approach to noise is perfectly illustrated by the PACrec release Total Slitting of Throats, a single hour-long track of largely unchanging almost-white noise made by layering individual tracks from maximal harsh noise solo artists The Cherry Point, Sewer Election, The Rita, Mania, and Treriksröset. In a manner opposite but parallel to the emergence of queercore from hardcore, harsh noise today tends to reinforce gender constructions through the very sounds that try to dislodge them.

So if Hospital, Hanson and PacRec is the thing that underlines the male domination & hyper masculinity, I guess, we have very little to discuss, haha!
But it is interesting question WHY gender politics constantly bombards underground music? And judging by the author and his logic (for example above quote), it doesn't seem to be like expert of noise would investigate reality of scene, but queer trying to build up some hypothesis in his favor.
One could easily find MORE examples of almost anything. Any type of sexuality, any type of politics, any type of art. You could make article of almost any subject. Finding 5 examples of something and few cultural references to back it up, is not a problem.

I think funnier is, that some of the mentioned labels do feature openly homosexual artists AND do clearly homoerotic references in releases, yet I guess that is not good for genderconfused queers. It still reeks of male domination, and leaves out the girls and girly fags? No subculture is enough, no sexual preference is enough, until all is gathered hand-in-hand street party under cute rainbow. As openminded as they always present themselves.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ARKHE

Haven't read the article but I can see how the disruption of form and content in noise music can be used as expression for the disruption of gender stereotypes, like the XIU XIU man said in the article (the part I read), that the violence of the sounds = his anger and despair of not fitting into hegemonic sexuality. Harder to see how subject would fit as form of activism expressed in power electronics (much like the discussion on leftism in PE elsewhere) - how can something positive fit? Except for "doing what's wrong" just for the sake of it.

On discogs, Richard Ramirez is referred to as "queer noise", where's that expressed in his music?

((I wonder though where he sees "hypermasculinity" as a major trait in grindcore,; that's the only place in extreme music where I see feminism and anti-homophobism given space (Napalm Death, Brutal Truth, and other violent world-improvers).))

Of course, the control and domination of loud and powerful noises can, as Deena Weinstein analysed it (in heavy metal), be appreciated as a form of enacted masculinity (freed in the ejaculation of the guitar solo), and the uncontrolled noises of, well, harsh noise (given that the sounds are out of the performer's control - Dominic Ferrow controls his distortion as much as Eddie Van Halen, only at a different scale) a counterenactment of that supposed "masculine control" of the forceful sounds, equalling the unmasculinity of queerdom.

Turning the facets long enough, every form of theoretical analysis can be applied to any kind of art or creation...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: pestdemon on October 18, 2010, 11:07:32 AM
Haven't read the article but I can see how the disruption of form and content in noise music can be used as expression for the disruption of gender stereotypes, like the XIU XIU man said in the article (the part I read), that the violence of the sounds = his anger and despair of not fitting into hegemonic sexuality. Harder to see how subject would fit as form of activism expressed in power electronics (much like the discussion on leftism in PE elsewhere) - how can something positive fit? Except for "doing what's wrong" just for the sake of it.

I think noise is good in sense that it lacks any real "content", unless it's given one. Or unless being concept sound. Lets say recording made of sounds of man sucking dildo (~gerogerigegege) or something like that, certainly can sound atmosphere without need to impose some specific details beyond the sounds of piggy male grunts and slurps.
But if we're talking about sounds as vague as for example in general title... was it "if feedback is non-linear, it can't be straight"... pffff.......
You can connect feedback with anything: It's sound of electric execution of prisoners in USA, total electrocution? It's sound of overheated & destructive force injected to infrastructure of society? It's sonic reflection the burgeous scream of pain when revolution strikes? It's mythical sonic ouroborus snake eating it's own tail? It's the scream of airwaves, amplification of invisible void? .......... One could spend whole evening making as valid links what feedback has to anything. That being among the best qualities of noise.
Of course, noise can be used for queer content. It has been and will be. But if some queer gets idea, that this sound really is queer, and some heteros don't even realize it, that sounds (to be understood in as unprejudiced tone as possible can: ) so typically faggy idea.

I would say the blame on hypermasculine & homophobic grindcore is reference towards goregrind / deathgrind. Of course the crust/grind guys have more links to punk & openmindedness, while bands like Meat Shits, Anal Cunt, and such established pretty decent following among the meathead jocks. Who wouldn't own & worship albums like "Sniper At The Fag Parade" or "Violence towards feminist cunts"? If you belong to such people, I recommend investing. Trouble to find them, you'll ask me!

Andrew McIntosh

I would blame too much university, college or simply reading academic wankers who want to have power with words. Whenever I read words like "Michel Foucault emphasizes" I want to reach for my gun. This "Saltlick" wants his readers to think that being gay is automatically left-wing and that music that is not "linear" is automatically gay. He's trying to co-opt with words, and that's an academic tactic.

This is a terrible article; I read it a while ago when it was plugged on the Tronicks board. Jesus, the crap about Pauline Oliveros alone makes this worth vomiting on. If this Martha Mockus hears dykes cumming in Oliveros's recordings then best of bloody luck to her, but that's just her opinion. "Saltlick" uses that little lesbo fantasy as the basis of some kind of proof that Noise is "queer" (whatever that word is meant to mean now, I don't keep up). In fact, he seems to be reliant on other peoples' opinions rather than his own; typical name dropping crap to make the reader think he's smart and therefore his argument is more valid. That bollocks about Cage was just crap.

The fact that he doesn't mention the Gerogerigegege or Richard Ramirez, to me, shows how out of touch he is with his subject matter. No respect for those homosexuals who have been contributing to Noise for years, but plenty of time for quotes from "critics". Wanker.

Shikata ga nai.

Lupo

Woa! I think if we play on their side and asume this psychobabble is the ultimate truth then we also could conclude Noise is intrinsically christian (BLACKHOUSE, for example)

ARKHE

QuoteWoa! I think if we play on their side and asume this psychobabble is the ultimate truth then we also could conclude Noise is intrinsically christian

the loud roaring sounds are the voice of God! (as christ-hugging death metal band PANTOKRATOR explained their music from their religious perspective) -

QuoteYou can connect feedback with anything: It's sound of electric execution of prisoners in USA, total electrocution? It's sound of overheated & destructive force injected to infrastructure of society? It's sonic reflection the burgeous scream of pain when revolution strikes? It's mythical sonic ouroborus snake eating it's own tail? It's the scream of airwaves, amplification of invisible void? .......... One could spend whole evening making as valid links what feedback has to anything. That being among the best qualities of noise.

definitely.

tiny_tove

NOISE now i considerated ART or, better, ARTY.
ART and FASHION are the two areas of creativity with most fags involved.

That makes NOISE=ART=FAGS

So next step is to turn fashion designers.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Levas

fashion designers you say?

http://www.pixmac.com/celebrity/noise+festival/000013282941
http://www.pixmac.fi/celebrity/melu+festival/000013282951
http://www.pixmac.de/celebrity/noise+festival/000013282925

and an article in lithuanian portal with more photos:

http://gatve.delfi.lt/news/mada_ir_stilius/article.php?id=19492258

short summary of the article would be:

<...>Noise is not only sound interferences, but also musical style. It's alternative, avant-garde art music, music played with non-traditional instruments and enriched with electronics.

Noise was born more than 100 years ago and is looking new now. Noise cannot be abstracted from art. Noise style images the future world as cold, distant from naturality.

Noise fashion, still alien for us, accustomed to "hollywood" models, gives us new challenges, new forms, new points of view towards human, his life rhythm, appearance and surroundings. <...>

ConcreteMascara

That's more terrifying than the darkest death industrial...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

tiny_tove

please shoot me before it happens to me

Andrew McIntosh

QuoteQ =Your other career is as a fashion designer- how did you get into this? & do you ever use any of your noise works for fashion shows?
A - I've been into fashion since I was a kid. My mom was into designer stuff. She got married in Christian Dior and I would notice labels she'd have like Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel, Givenchy, etc. That's always been there. When I was a teen, I could not find men's clothing that I liked, so I started making my own. Then, some female friends asked me to make them clothing, and so it started.  It's 1997 when I decided to start my own fashion line under the name, Richard Saenz. Saenz was my grandmother's maiden name. Ramirez is my real last name, but didn't think the fashion industry would take too kindly to the serial killer of the same name. I didn't want them to think I was using the name for that reason. My first collection was shown Spring 1998. My clothing designs are "avant-garde". I like using non-traditional methods of creating my clothes. Some look unfinished or destroyed. I like that. Some seem pretty, but up close are more unconventional. I am fan of designers like Rei Kawakubo, Martin Margiela, Susan Cianciolo, Jessica Ogden, Junya Watanabe, and Ann Demeulemeester. No, I don't use noise in my fashion shows. For me, it would seem arrogant or pretentious. I don't use noise at all. I like to keep them separate.

Shikata ga nai.

tiny_tove

hey
richard ramirez has been a noisester, a fashion designer and gay much longer than these people, and he is one of my faves.

FreakAnimalFinland

perhaps not so much about music, but lets spend some quality morning coffee time here...

of course it is hard to say what exactly is queer, but I think the article is clear about homosexual & "gender challenging" things. And in Noisefanatics discussion of this same topic, someone says people should try investigate homosexuality not from symbolism, but from behavior patterns. Which I'd think is better approach:
Leather pants = gay? Maybe... maybe not?
Man designing fashion = gay? maybe... maybe not?
Man sucking other mans cock = Gay? I guess so!

In Finland, there is a HUGE homo discussion going on in society:
In national tv channel, there was talkshow where they had gathered politicians and other people. Topic being homosexuals. The leading name in discussion being female politician, the leader of christian democratic party. It's rather big party, not some extremists. Anyways, church has tended to be openminded, there's all the bullshit heavy metal sermons in churches and whatever jesus discos and such. Very openminded and relaxed comments. But now, old testament hits in, and the high profile (female) politican is giving comments a'la "all faggots know deep inside they are doing wrong" etc. All the religious people chosen for the show are high profile people from politics/church and they gave such a statements than as result of this, now c. 30000 people resigned from church within.. 10 days? Priests are trying to cover it up, making excuses like that christian party aren't their spokesmen, apologizing etc. This is already such a massive ongoing citizen movements, that it's about 1000-3000 people a day resigning. C. 10 times more than usual. And while
it was suspected to be just few days reaction, now its feeding itself via blogs, websites, talk on news.. it's possible to leave church nowadays on
visiting a website. Few clicks, little info and you're out. 

In most of counties in Finland, church tax is 1-1,5% from income. If you make for example 24000 euro a year, if you live in Helsinki, you'll be paying c. 200 euro a year tax. In Lahti we have higher %, so it's about 300 euro a year one pays with same income as in Helsinki. You can think that 30000 x 300 euro = 9,000,000... Church already lost c. 10 millions for next year because of this TV discussion. And I'm confident it won't stop here. I think total can easily reach before end of year that we're talking more than 15-20 millions loss in tax money. And it is annual loss. Thinking these people would have paid this money for probably another 20-30 years... And their children won't be in church either.

Anyways, it is amusing fact, that it needs some conservative church member & politican to place judgement of homosexuals, to create massive spontaneous citizen movement. As if do christian approve faggots would be the biggest issue in this country?! A lot of shit happens and nobody
cares. Perhaps it is mainly issue that something can be done with ease. There isn't so many political & social issues you can comment with visit
on resignation website...

There has been already strong waves of turbulence. Like Luther Association resigned from the main Evangelist-Lutherian church, since Luther Association believes in the original purged format of Luther. They don't approve homosexuals. They don't approve female priests. And so on. It was originally brotherhood inside the church, but since last spring independent due too many conflicts of priest refusing to do sermons in co-operation with female priests. While main church is kissing ass of the openminded, the smaller branches call for return to older ideals where faith actually mattered, and it wasn't all just corruption to keep income coming and everybody happy. The new urban young adults sees the church as relic, and I guess many conservatives sees church as too progressive and too rainbow colored treat. It will be curious to see where things take from here. Church elections are coming soon. Now is promised lots of sexual minorities as candidates. Including "mr. gay finland 2010" !

Statistically, antihomosexual violence is smaller in Finland than in Sweden. Although it may be also, because in Sweden they register it as antihomosexual offense even if you just yell at someone. When such a small minority is such a huge & visible issue, I'm sure it will get some die hard red neck assaults on the rise. Recall the teargas attack to Helsinki Pride this year. So if end of this decade will show intensively escalating public profile and ever increasing vocality, I guess few upcoming years probably will show escalating gay bashing?

Strömkarlen

I remember seeing some crappy English TV-serie a while ago that had a comment that I thought was very true. It was something like this.

"I don't want to be one of those fags that yell "Hate crime!" every time somebody brush before me in a que."