What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phenol

Quote from: re:evolution on Today at 05:36:15 AMFor a different perspective, after reading 'Conspiracy...' I reread his collected fiction and consequently got more out of them than 'just' being short horror stories. Basically, his philosophical musings are heavily embedded within and underpin his fictional writings.

Good to know! I'm a big fan of Ligotti, but have so far chosen not to read 'Conspiracy...' out fear that it could taint my experience of his fiction.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: re:evolution on Today at 05:36:15 AMFor a different perspective, after reading 'Conspiracy...' I reread his collected fiction and consequently got more out of them than 'just' being short horror stories. Basically, his philosophical musings are heavily embedded within and underpin his fictional writings.

I think "Conspiracy..." is very well written (at least so far) and I think it's interesting to know more about the author and his view, and could be useful to read his fiction wiritings from a different angle.
And there's also the True Detective thing. Some of Rust's dialogues are taken from here word by word (the whole paragraph about consciousness as an evolutionary mistake).
But as a "philosophy" text in itself I don't think it can stand the test of time, although some of the paragraphs are very interesting and, obviously, attractively written.

Or maybe, according to his categories, I'm not a pessimist so I can't really relate to his philosophical conclusions.