Is noise becoming a safe space?

Started by Stipsi, October 26, 2022, 03:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stipsi

Just as the title said.
No polemic or beefs.
Just want to know the opinions of people about that.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think it is just that now we have options.

You got venues, gigs, distributors and publishers where you may minimize certain offenses.
If you are looking for that type of stuff that the category above wants to avoid, you still have the other places, labels, distributors and so on.

If you want to just do whatever, with whoever, I don't see much obstacles in that either. I belong to this last category and I rarely encounter any problems anywhere. And if such ones emerge, its fine, since I am not after the safe space. I think "noise" is not one space, nor community. You can't regulate it, as there aren't really means to regulate things. Generally when such situation is valued, it might give indication of healthy "scene".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

piisti

I recall please do not let that happen! There is enough labels and artist whos output you can "trust". Music genres one after one turns acceptability and soft. Anyone could express way of his/her/etc. feels like without some squall. On the other hand...does it moves a dust if some alias hurts feelings on a forum? If you want to make your rules in the playground you are playing alone pretty soon.

holy ghost

More than half the people I know in noise are not cis white males. I hope they feel safe and accepted at shows and in the scene. I hope they also don't have to deal with "edgy shit" at shows or anywhere else.

Whenever I'm doing a home reno my motto is "safety first" and frankly what's wrong with being safe at a show or a forum as well? Imagine shooting a nail gun through your foot?

Personally I'm old and I hope people accept me leaving shows at 9:30 because I want to get a good nights sleep.

Andrew McIntosh

What exactly does this mean? This is very vague.
Shikata ga nai.

Johann

Has it ever not been a safe space? Further, Isn't that was Kate aka NoiseWidow was saying on the WCN podcast, that noise is a bunch of scared people acting tough in a controlled environment full of supportive people? While by contrast a public library in the inner city USA is less of a safe space?

Do you mean in the digital realm? Hench the recent rant in the smell and quim topic of someones outrage over a shirt that isn't even really remotely shocking within the context of the artwork at large from a lot of the UK projects of that same era. Which is still a resounding no, sure releases get "banned" (for a swastika in Germany or a much less serious discogs ban) or outsiders try to limit what is and isn't acceptable, though those releases sell all the same through their own channels.

Maybe you haven't been to any shows, or have an exaggerated perception of what going to a show is like. I've found that local scenes can be quite cliquey, it can be hard (especially if you were shy) to get to know people. But if you talk to people and your also serious about your interest they'll probably be largely accepting, while if your being flippant, dickish or overly political/offensive (doesn't matter your ideological position) you probably won't make friends and possibly might be asked to leave.

You gotta consider that noise has always been very individualistic, local (even in its most global communities) and generally of low interest to the general public or even listening public. I think people who are genuinely interested in forming bonds with other people interested in extreme sound accept that ultimately nothing really matters and do their best to get along or avoid.

Johann

Though a secondary idea came up while responding to this post. I've been thinking about how much this forum has changed and not changed in the past 12 years, both in quality of what's being talked about, the users and perceptions of the scene at large. Obviously, things ebb and flow (largely an upswing at the moment). A lot of communication has turned over to things like Instagram and social media has gained much more prevalence among all people.

But there seems to be an increase of people seeking to put their identity or perceptions of their identity in relation to what they create (or don't create, maybe it's like an online persona) out there more than any other time I can remember. I don't mean that in an identity politics way either, what I notice is an increase of "reactionary" identity. People attempting to appear a certain way politically/morally (both right and left) in a way that's very obvious, out front and exceptionally boring. A lot of the humor seems to be gone, it strikes me as superficial or as folks temporarily larping.

I suppose it could have something to do with how subdivided things are in a genre sense, but I suspect it's really related to peoples relationship to extremity and access. What made the supposed golden era of noise so free (in the sense you could have Con-Dom collaborating with a group like Control Resistance and Militia) was a broader focus on freedom of speech and communication. Where now things are much more black and white, people feel the need to pick a side of the line and stay put or risk some sort of cancellation. Look no further than Filthy Turd and the problems he experienced in employment over something as stupid as a CD-R. People used to just mind their own business, you wouldn't find someone bemoaning a pedophile on a t-shirt, they would simply move on from it without a word.

holy ghost

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on October 30, 2022, 08:20:48 AM
What exactly does this mean? This is very vague.

I feel like when this sort of topic is brought up it's inevitably some variation of "I'm upset I (or someone) can't do whatever I want without repercussions" which means they might need to seek out a "safe space" of their own.... A safe space Ouroboros by if you will....

Leewar

Maybe a safe space as in artists have usually been free to do whatever they want in regards to sounds/artwork/lyrics/subject matter.

But we now live in the age where its fashionable to be Mary Whitehouse.

One mans safe is another mans unsafe.

anal_yama

Usually when people say "safe space" they mean "safe space for people i don't like"
Noise is a genre of music, including the social structures that come along with it. This is not something new.

FreakAnimalFinland

Like formerly mention, for me it just looks like there are options now, and perhaps correct words would be how much of unpleasant things one can tolerate. Only couple of times I have witnessed noise gig (or situation) what borders things being (physically) unsafe. Generally it is more about how much time you want to spend in crowd, discussion or something that is unpleasant. Many times it is situation, where one dislikes amount of naggers, and tend to think I got these other great noise people over there, I'll spend time with them, and not the naggers. That's nothing to do with safety. I tend to think, when issue of safety is brought to table, it tends to follow with plenty of unpleasant nagging. While could just lets it be, and focus on things such as Great noise, for example.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Leewar on October 30, 2022, 07:17:51 PM
One mans safe is another mans unsafe.

Wait. I thought one mans safe is another mans kaching.

Apologies. Now back to your regularly scheduled safe space.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

piisti

Of course  I don't want to people feel unwelcome to live shows. And I totally judge any misbehavior towards audience etc.. But please let artist do they thing.

Kayandah

Maybe I am mis understanding... but I liked the fact that back in the late nineties/ early noughties you could go to a noise show and be exposed to completely different styles and content. I might have complained at the time about hipster wolf  eyes noise fans who equally complained about power electronics but at the same time there was exposure. If noise becomes fragmented into safe and non safe spaces then it becomes like everything else - echo Chambers for what you like and avoidance of what you don't like.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Kayandah on November 01, 2022, 10:06:01 AM
If noise becomes fragmented into safe and non safe spaces then it becomes like everything else - echo Chambers for what you like and avoidance of what you don't like.
sounds like an argument for politics, not music
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.