Tips For Beginner Noise Artists

Started by crooked, August 30, 2018, 07:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soloman Tump

Quote from: urall on September 01, 2018, 06:09:07 PM
Learn to know your gear and start small.
Buy a small mixer, some cheap pedals, a cheap keyboard and a mic or something. And to fall in the trap of buying every new shiney
thing you see.

entirely true.
Exhaust the capabilities and restrictions of your equipment before splashing out for more.

Second hand is often more than suitable unless warranty / fidelity is an issue

FreakAnimalFinland

One thing I hear once in a while is about using "tough" methods. In a way like I was smashing the barrel with huge chain and...
Usually, apart from theatric element of live shows, it's best not to aim for things what look neat, but what sound good. It might be conceptually nice to scratch with knife on steel plate, yet sonically you may get better sounds from something what looks most of all amusing or at least quite and tiny.

For me, the absolute best tip is to focus on diversity of sounds, rather than gadgets. To experiment with recorders as well as equipment and methods. Anyone can buy gear, far less people can be creative in using whatever there is available to give a try.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

scumwalski

Disregard any trends, cliches, do not fall into the trap of following other people's footsteps. Now I don't think that there's anything wrong with drawing inspiration or (re)using certain techniques. After all, it's quite hard (if not impossible) to come up with something entirely unique. With that in mind, try to recontextualize, never make music to please the scene bozos.
Do not rehash something that's been done a million times before, almost everyone does that.
If you like, say, breakcore - try to figure out a way to incorporate the core aspects of what you enjoy in that particular genre into your noise output.
If anyone says that it's too "constructed/composed", disregard and continue on.

In a nutshell, what I mean is, do what you feel best resonates with your own sense of what is good/right. Never cater to anyone.