Top releases of 2023

Started by WCN, December 19, 2023, 11:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCN

I guess there's no topic for this yet?

My top 10:

ANTS IN THE AFTERBIRTH - Self-titled CS
MNEM - Heart Of Complex CS (Satatuhatta)
VIODRE - Drawing Horses CS (Kalifornia Love Addiction)
MO*TE - Kill The Sun CD (Dada Drumming)
GENOCIDE ORGAN + PRURIENT - Carte Blanche CD/LP (Hospital Productions)
SPRING OF LIFE - Interface CS
EURONET - TSMC Is Burning CS (Tordon Ljud)
BODY CARVE - Studies In Advanced Decomposition CD (Chondritic Sound)
CASPAR SONNET - Passacaglia Radio CS (Andromache Records)
STAR - Elephant In The Snow 2CD (Hospital Productions)

Also did a podcast episode about it: https://youtu.be/LJPa4A3v-wM?si=sANGmgXZmQgIEioy
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Cranial Blast

Here is my top 10 releases for 2023 and not ranked in any specific order. A couple of these releases aren't new, but new versions or compilations of some past material.

Sadio - Voyeur Seeks

Scatmother/Chaos Cascade - The Insignificance Of Human Life

Wertham - Anticitizen Number One

Caligula031 - Private Venus 2023

Pain Appendix/Room Ov Pleasure - Principles Of Nature

Cervical Smear/North Central - Affection And Abuse

Hamilton Mist - The Age Of Shadows

Taeter - Abysmal Collapse

Caligula031 - The Leatherman

Xenophobic Ejaculation - Sieg Heil

FreakAnimalFinland

In random order, and lets say main qualification is not only is it great, but did it receive more playtime than usual. There are a lot of good stuff, that I acknowledged being great... while something such as Äijälä's Kytkentöjä CD, I didn't think it was anything absolutely unusual or amazing, but for reason or another, it simply was getting played over and over again.
Another guidelines are: No reissues and obviously none of my own stuff here, hah. But truth to be told, looking what came out on FA, tells a lot about level of Finn scene at the moment and only reason I wouldn't mention them is of course looking silly to list stuff you put out, even if quality is all thanks to artists.

Tyhjä Pää - Prolonged Troubles In Concentration And Memory ‎CD
The Day Of The Antler - Love Beyond Love tape
Entre Vifs - Art Of Noises - 110th Anniversary ‎LP
VELI-MATTI O. ÄIJÄLÄ - KYTKENTÖJÄ -CD
LIMINAL ARCHEOLOGY - LIMINAL ARCHAEOLOGY SERIES 4 - Uncle's Wedding tape
AHTI & AHTI - Nokivesi LP
HAUDAT - Live on tape February 23 tape
VIHANMIEHET - II CD
KYLMÄKOVAMAA - Harvey's Girl tape
LINEKRAFT - Hunger for life CD
Barstool Mountain - Tightrope Walker LP

(plus.. some stuff JUST was published. New Satatuhatta, new Hiisi prod, they could be on the list, but some of it just listened couple times.)
Edit: Barstool Mountain had to be added. I may revise list, just matter of remembering what is late 2022, what is 2023..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

piisti

Tyhjä Pää-cd
Corral Shut-Sheer
Haudat-live&Vampyyri
Rusalka-Base Waters
Kitu-Fiery Jinxes
Elisha Morningstar-Saturae
Cov Ops-New Agenda
Umpio-Memoria&Brain
Body Stress-Rose of Sodoma
Primitive Wings-Slow Urge
Stinkfinger-Pussy Boy
Guillermo Pizarro-Jouska
Moozzhead-Faces of Little Death
Steel Corset-Body Belt
Leprose Wick-cs
Corral Shut/Residual/Tyhjä pää/Haudat-cs
Grunt-Vieraat aivot

Totally impossible to choose just few and pretty sure I forgot some

narcolepsia

not an exhaustive list by any means / trying not to think too much:

MOINEAU ÉCARLATE "AVALER DES COULEUVRES" LP (Fougère)
KNSK "MURSKA" CD (Freak Animal)
MEGAPTERA "BEYOND THE MASSIVE DARKNESS" 2xCD (Old Captain)
ANAL CUNT "EARLY SHIT 1988-1991" 6xLP (FOAD)
VA "FONTANA" 3xCS (No Rent)
SMALL CRUEL PARTY "ANCIEN DES JOURS" 7" (Adi Grand)
STEEL CORSET "BODY BELT" CD (IOPS)
ZK "DISCORDIA" CS (Absurd Exposition)
COMMANDO 15 "VAUHKOLA" CS (Satatuhatta)
JOCKESSES "THE SNSE YEARS" CS (WCN)

BlackCavendish

To this day:

The New Boyfriends - Universal Noise (gave this just a few spins but it's already a favourite of mine)
Ksnk - Murska
Primitive Wings - Morphosis
Grunt- Vieraat Aivot
Decondition – Like a Mirage or a Dream
Prurient/Genocide Organ – Carte blanche

Stipsi

Caligula 031 - The leatherman
ZSS/XE - Whites Only
Bizarre Uproar/Black Leather Jesus - split
Wall Riders - Documents 1,2 (reissue)
Apex Parasite - Erosion Of The Will
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

SoonYouHaveDeafEars

I am a very inconsistent person when it comes to lists since my feelings change from time to time, this is only just a random selection of 5 noise releases that I enjoyed alot this year (no particular order):
Bizarre Uproar / Black Leather Jesus - Bizarre Uproar / Black Leather Jesus (Ominous Recordings & Summer Interlude Records)
Interesting loop based power electronics from BU, that squelching/throbbing electronics and occasional screaming stuck with me all year round in the back of my head.
BLJ's side is also pretty great as it's simply good, crushing and straight forward quality harsh noise.

Moozzhead - Thighmaster (Rural Isolation Project)
This is one that I've been relistening to over and over throughout the year, it's seriously amazing harsh noise; wonderfully perverted and crunchy as fuck (with a twisted sense of humour that I always appreciate to see in noise).

Sissy Spacek - Live In Hong Kong (Helicopter)
Live noisegrind thrashing and awesome tape cut-ups, absolutely steller Sissy Spacek as always.
I love how varied this album is, as you go from noise to tape concrete to really raw live noisecore and then back around again.

Masonna - Evil Black Disc (Hello From The Gutter)
I'm cheating because this is a reissue of a 7" from like 7 years ago but I don't care, it was released this year on mini-CD and I love Masonna. lol
Whilst not classic like his 90s material, this is still some psychedelic rapid fire Masonoise that I don't think I'll ever get tired of.
Glad to see the project is still in action after so long!

Infibulation - No One Will Come (Breathing Problem Productions)
This tape was by a Taint fan, for Taint fans; it's simply incredible.
Quality tape crunched junk electronic noise with feedback that just screams directly into your eardrums.
If this were released in the 90s during the golden age of American noise, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being considered a classic.
Que Sera, Sera (Things Go From Bad To Worse)

HateSermon

The most memorable to me:

Prelest "Teodal" - rotting industrial waste that scratched the long time itch. Reminds me of a more corroded sounding Proiekt Hat.

XE/ZSS both the reissue and new one - Live collaborations from the genre's most hated. Unstoppable. General appreciation for WRATH's hard work this year on all of the other releases and special editions. Hope it continues.

Apex Parasite - vile skinhead hooligan aktion from the streets. Oi!

Phenol Injektion - a late 2023 contender but deserves the praise.

Abscheu "Creed" - last year's 10" caught my attention and this year's CD was even better.

North Central "K9 Frequencies" - absolutely zero fucks given nasty harsh noise that pairs well with the bizarre subject matter... not just "all show".

Death Dedication/Worsening split - perhaps I'm biased cuz they're local but this is the best material I've heard from both projects and is definitely in need of a reissue... I think it was limited to a really stupid low amount of copies.

Just like everyone else -- I'm sure I'm forgetting something. There were an insane amount of good things coming out this year.

New discoveries in 2023:

Dreamcatcher - what started as a blind buy quickly became an obsession. New material is already on Dunkelheit after a series of small self released tapes. great overall fuck off attitude and leans more toward a punk mentality in noise.

MT

It was pretty damn hot year! There was so many to be mentioned, so I did mention them.

2023 releases:

Grunt - Vieraat Aivot CD

Best one of this year for me. It's just damn good CD. Two a bit different kind of gigs, spectacular sound especially on the first gig. Second gig ending with a special treat.

Contortus - Truncated 3" CD
Contortus is always a mean deal, but "Truncated" has it's own kind of venom. Brooding, shrieking and overall very uncomfortable. Excellent 3" CD.

Primitive Wings - Slow Urge tape

I liked the tape just a tad bit more than the CD. They are both solid, great releases but the more distortion leaning sound of the tape takes the cake for me.

Moozzhead - Thighmaster CD

Moozzhead delivers, and I quiver. Harsh noise master.

Cov Ops - New Agenda CD
Clearly seasoned genre veterans behind this anonymous project. Everything that you could want from a power electronics album.

Decondition - Like A Mirage Or A Dream CD
Got this just before the year ended, and caught me by surprise! Very sold industrial/pe'ish CD.

Will Over Matter - Exceed the Recommended Maximum tape

Best WOM release to date, I could listen to a whole CD of this stuff. Minimalistic electronics, but with a feel. Not like monotonous bashers of early WOM.

Umpio - Brain Pain CD
In the same category with Moozzhead, you know what you are gonna get with Umpio. It's like good fine dining, leaves you astoshined.

Amek-Maj CD
Best new project of these days. Came and took the scene by storm, with his charming personality and ball busting noise.

Commando 15 - Vauhkola tape
As contrast to Amek-Maj, C15 expresses extreme control of the vicious and unpredictable feedback, which results into a highly interesting project.

The New Boyfriends - Universal Noise CD
Still growing... Mysterious CD!

2023 reissues:

Macronympha - Whorechestra 3CD
A mammoth! 3 CD's worth of Macro-goodness. No complaints.

Violent Onsen Geisha - Wagamama Na Ofukuro LP
Name has always been familiar, finally got some meat around the bones in my head. So delicious meat!

Incapacitants - Repo LP wooden box with extra tapes
The tapes really add up to the whole thing, Repo itself is a killer album, but throw on top two live tapes, fuck me.

Dead Body Love - Puke On My Corpse CD

It's like getting buried by an avalanche of warm volcano rubble, expect you enjoy it.

Krigsverk

2023 has been a great year for noise/PE... too much to list, but from the top of my head these have been spinning a lot:

Abscheu - Creed
Sadio - Voyeur Seeks
HÖH - Epäjohdonmukainen
Scatmother/Chaos Cascade - The Insignificance Of Human Life
The Black Maghreb - How and Vision Of Life's Negative Existence
Primitive Wings - Morphosis

EXU

Wow, another big year for finnish noise on the SI leaderboards. ;)

TVS

Barstool Mountain - Tightrope Walker LP
Commando 15 - Vauhkola tape
Contortus - Truncated 3" CD
Cov Ops - New Agenda CD
Hamilton Mist - The Age of Shadows CD
KSNK - Murska CD
The New Boyfriends - Universal Noise CD
Primitive Wings - Morphosis CD
Sadio - Voyeur Seeks CD

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: EXU on December 21, 2023, 04:58:57 PMWow, another big year for finnish noise on the SI leaderboards. ;)

2024 will be INTENSE. I can tell it already. January alone will have debut YKSI cd, KARMIC DELUSION debut cd, soon followed by debut of COMMANDO 15 CD, absolutely fierce new ROTAT. The little I know of new Satatuhatta items, damn..

I am expecting best of lists from people from other regions who may be exposed more to other stuff. Like WCN podcast best of list (that he posted here too) is curious as it has so much stuff I would not put on my list, but I can see why they are there. 
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

Some stuff related to the board I enjoyed:
Prurient & Genocide Organ - Carte Blanche LP
Robert Turman - Distant Dosage LP
Henning Christiansen - Mediterranean Music-Water LP
The New Blockaders – Etudes De Rien LP (RE)
Monde Bruits - Purgatory LP (RE)
Korpses Katatonik – Subklinikal Leukotomy LP (RE)
Violent Shotgun - Peace CD
Shredded Nerve - Third Sign CD
Kjostad - Music For Organic Performance CD
Philip Jeck & Chris Watson – Oxmardyke CD
The Black Maghreb – HOW 7"
Genocide Organ - You're Going to be Fine 7"
Small Cruel Party - Ancien des Jours 7"