What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phenol

Quote from: re:evolution on May 06, 2024, 05:36:15 AMFor a different perspective, after reading 'Conspiracy...' I reread his collected fiction and consequently got more out of them than 'just' being short horror stories. Basically, his philosophical musings are heavily embedded within and underpin his fictional writings.

Good to know! I'm a big fan of Ligotti, but have so far chosen not to read 'Conspiracy...' out fear that it could taint my experience of his fiction.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: re:evolution on May 06, 2024, 05:36:15 AMFor a different perspective, after reading 'Conspiracy...' I reread his collected fiction and consequently got more out of them than 'just' being short horror stories. Basically, his philosophical musings are heavily embedded within and underpin his fictional writings.

I think "Conspiracy..." is very well written (at least so far) and I think it's interesting to know more about the author and his view, and could be useful to read his fiction wiritings from a different angle.
And there's also the True Detective thing. Some of Rust's dialogues are taken from here word by word (the whole paragraph about consciousness as an evolutionary mistake).
But as a "philosophy" text in itself I don't think it can stand the test of time, although some of the paragraphs are very interesting and, obviously, attractively written.

Or maybe, according to his categories, I'm not a pessimist so I can't really relate to his philosophical conclusions.

SIEGSIEGSIEG

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on May 05, 2024, 08:17:07 PM
Quote from: BlackCavendish on May 05, 2024, 12:54:44 PMThe conspiracy against the human race - Thomas Ligotti

I had high expectations for this, maybe too much since I'm a fan of his fiction writings, but so far (I'm halfway through) is ups and downs...

That's how I felt when I last read it a few years ago.  He's interesting, but I think his fiction and the sources are better than his experiment in philosophy.
I've only read Conspiracy... by Ligotti and I think it's great. Good book, solid conclusions. Caused humongous amount of existential dread when I read it last year. Would recommend it. If you have misanthropic tendencies I think the book will hit a right chord. For me atleast it did. Nothing bad to say about the book. It delivered as a thought provoking book and if a book makes you think about things, preferably things you haven't thought about, then a book is a good book in my books (hehe).

Quote from: BlackCavendish on May 06, 2024, 01:06:17 PM

I think "Conspiracy..." is very well written (at least so far) and I think it's interesting to know more about the author and his view, and could be useful to read his fiction wiritings from a different angle.
And there's also the True Detective thing. Some of Rust's dialogues are taken from here word by word (the whole paragraph about consciousness as an evolutionary mistake).
But as a "philosophy" text in itself I don't think it can stand the test of time, although some of the paragraphs are very interesting and, obviously, attractively written.

Or maybe, according to his categories, I'm not a pessimist so I can't really relate to his philosophical conclusions.
What do you mean by "philosophy" text? From the books' blurb:

--Drawing on philosophy, literature, neuroscience, and other fields of study, Ligotti takes the penetrating lens of his imagination and turns it on his audience, causing them to grapple with the brutal reality that they are living a meaningless nightmare, and anyone who feels otherwise is simply acting out an optimistic fallacy.

Just pointing out for others interested that it doesn't specifically even advertise itself as a pure bred philosophy book.

What is the test of time you are talking about? It's not an academic text so it will not be refuted by the academia or anything so there's that. Someone can maybe write a book arguing against Ligotti's arguments, but if someone writes a book arguing against your book then I think the book is a success because it made people think and react. Or is it that in 20 years people would not be interested reading Ligotti's pessimistic take on humanity because we will have it so good by then hehe?

Just throwing some thoughts out on this matter, because I personally really liked the book, and usually if some people really dislike a book and some others love it, then it's a book worth reading most of the time!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: BlackCavendish on May 06, 2024, 01:06:17 PM

This was pretty much my sense of it, just better said!