Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Prime Cut is great! I've been wanting to pick it up on Blu-ray but haven't found a copy at the price I want. That was Sissy Spacek's debut. (I have a poster & pressbook for P.C.; The Mania/The Rita split, "Together They're Murder", title & art is from the pressbook)

Last night was Turkey Shoot. The campy Aussie film that's a mix of The Most Dangerous Game, The Island of Dr. Moreau, & some decent violence. I remembered being more gory than it is but it's still pretty fun.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: kettu on December 11, 2016, 02:29:52 PM
-Prime Cut 1972
Lee Marvin is a chigaco bad ass that gets involved with gene hackmans meat and sex slave ring. hilarity ensues. Young Sissy Spaceks first big movie with lots of good 70s nudity.

-Circus of Fear 1966
Enjoyable mystery movie and not really horror what I was expecting.  Christopher Lee and Klaus Kinski! The movie is  very Brittish, horseteeth charachters and everybody is wearing tweed outfits.

I couldnt finnish the new gladiators, ill try some other time.

re circus of fear. an ok brit thriller with euro krimi touches (Klaus Kinki) that make for an entertaining diversion, but don't match 'the circus of horrors in the creepy carnival stakes of the time
circus of horrors is part of a trilogy including peeping tom, and horrors of the black museum that all, in their way are more perverse and sadean than circus of fear could hope to be.
these films are chaste in today's landscape, but it is their approach to their topics that marks them out.

see also 'who killed teddy bear' for a perverse over ripe gem from a time when all was implied rather than exhibited.

Deadpriest

I can't recommend Mobeus by Kim Ki Duk enough (also I want this thread to show up in my unread messages, still it's the fucking nuts)
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

bitewerksMTB

HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (Dark Sky) 30th anniversary Blu-ray- anyone thinking a 4K HD transfer from the original 16mm negative is going to turn out looking pretty need not worry. This is one gritty ass, grainy movie! The scenes that are nearly completely dark look beautiful but everything else is covered in grain and the 4:3 aspect ratio had me thinking I was watching a made-for-TV movie. Recommended!

absurdexposition

Quote from: Peterson on December 14, 2016, 09:13:09 PM
Star Trek: Voyager

currently going through another rewatch of TNG. always felt that it and DS9 were the best. VOY seemed to pale in comparison, perhaps because it was putting progressive ideals ahead of storytelling, hard to say without doing another rewatch (that I don't really intend on doing any time soon).
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Peterson

Totally agree. TNG has the most accessibility if you're not a nerd Trekkie already, and thus it was my introduction to giving a shit about the Star Trek franchise - as such, my personal biases tell me it's probably my favorite and the best of the three. So far with Voyager, I get the feeling they wanted to leave behind some of the cheesiness of TNG but couldn't quite pull it off, maybe it's because the stories couldn't handle the content, like you said.

Marko-V

Quote from: Deadpriest on December 15, 2016, 04:56:54 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 11, 2016, 12:27:11 AM
Recently watched The Beyond and Burial Ground in Italian with subs. I couldn't figure out if B.G. was shot in Italian or not. Sometimes, everything seemed to match up but, maybe, it was only those speaking Italian. I didn't pay that close of attention.

Italians had a habit of over dubbing dialogue. I know that The Beyond is Italian because I recently bought a copy myself, plus the dude that made it also made Cannibal Ferrox.

Often there were Italian AND American or British actors working in a same movie, so there's occasionally both half-italian and half-english dubbed versions because all actors did not share the same language. So choose the least shitty version, at least some of the dubbing matches.
Do you mean The Beyond and Cannibal Ferox were made by same director? I'm afraid that's not the case. The Beyond was directed by Lucio Fulci as Cannibal Ferox was directed by Umberto Lenzi.

Marko-V

Quote from: Deadpriest on December 14, 2016, 08:58:47 PM
I can't recommend Mobeus by Kim Ki Duk enough (also I want this thread to show up in my unread messages, still it's the fucking nuts)

Quoting my post from approx. 20 pages ago:
Quote from: Marko-V on March 26, 2016, 11:49:04 PM
Just watched Kim Ki-Duk's Moebius. I've seen probably all his movies and I knew to expect a bunch of unhappy characters in distressing situations but I still was kinda surprised about Moebius. At first, an off-the-wall crazy mom castrates her teenage son and that's where the story begins. Failed penis transplant leads to a search of alternate ways of self-satisfaction and when loony mama returns home things get 'a bit complicated'. Somebody could state this as a story of father-son relationship, but I say this is a movie where wacky characters do nasty things to each other and themselves in not-too-gory fashion. You really don't need any gory details in this one in order to squirm uncomfortably and check out if everything is ok 'downstairs'. One more remarkable thing, there's no dialogue at all.

Marko-V

Recently watched The Beyond and Burial Ground in Italian with subs.

Burial Ground is one of those mind-boggling films. I mean everything is so wrong with this film: wooden actors, silly fx, stupid characters and dialogue, dubbing... but still I find it to be one of the most enjoyable flicks ever! Entertainment par excellance.

Deadpriest

Quote from: Marko-V on December 15, 2016, 06:18:24 PM
Quote from: Deadpriest on December 15, 2016, 04:56:54 PM
Recently watched The Beyond and Burial Ground in Italian with subs. I couldn't figure out if B.G. was shot in Italian or not. Sometimes, everything seemed to match up but, maybe, it was only those speaking Italian. I didn't pay that close of attention.

Italians had a habit of over dubbing dialogue. I know that The Beyond is Italian because I recently bought a copy myself, plus the dude that made it also made Cannibal Ferrox.

Often there were Italian AND American or British actors working in a same movie, so there's occasionally both half-italian and half-english dubbed versions because all actors did not share the same language. So choose the least shitty version, at least some of the dubbing matches.
Do you mean The Beyond and Cannibal Ferox were made by same director? I'm afraid that's not the case. The Beyond was directed by Lucio Fulci as Cannibal Ferox was directed by Umberto Lenzi.

I meant Zombie Flesh Eaters.

Marko-V

All three being excellent pieces, no matter whoever directed them.

Deadpriest

Quote from: Marko-V on December 15, 2016, 06:56:21 PM
All three being excellent pieces, no matter whoever directed them.

^-^

'He, he ate his penis.'

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 14, 2016, 09:37:35 PM
HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (Dark Sky) 30th anniversary Blu-ray- anyone thinking a 4K HD transfer from the original 16mm negative is going to turn out looking pretty need not worry. This is one gritty ass, grainy movie! The scenes that are nearly completely dark look beautiful but everything else is covered in grain and the 4:3 aspect ratio had me thinking I was watching a made-for-TV movie. Recommended!

nice to hear grubby films can stay grubby in blue ray.
should make last house on dead end street going on a wish list.
reached this yesterday in anticipation of the soundtrack on order
still a gem

bitewerksMTB

Vinegar Syndrome put an unmastered transfer of LHoDES on the Corruption bd/dvd set as a Easter egg bonus. I assume they're still planning on a proper release... I was going to order Corruption during the Black Friday sale but decided that I didn't need it. As soon as that release goes out of print, they'll probably announce that they lost the rights to LHoDES or something.

I watched Don't Go in the House on dvd the other night. The new bd release that Scorpion just released has an additional 9 minutes of footage but the audio track turns out to be different; it was made for cable TV, censoring some of the profanity, which, is weird as hell. With the additional footage, this is as close to a director's cut for the film. Scenes were cut for time according to the director's interview in Stephen Thrower's "Nightmare USA" book.