DIY Gear

Started by martialgodmask, February 05, 2013, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

Anyone into building their own gear? Pedals, sound generators, things to clang around? I'd love to one day have a case full of gear that is home-made, I find it very satisfying to solder up something new. As I said in the other gear thread, I'm not very experienced/clever with it yet, but it's a fun learning exercise.

Big pro synths are great, don't get me wrong, and I know a DIY synth is rarely if ever going to compete with something like say, an MS-20, but for me the fun of experimentation is not just fiddling with the end product but in putting it together from scratch, can be more cost effective too these days.

Recently in Mikko's photos there is a contact mic'd metal "cup" (I think?) which interests me, was this home-made?

metalpunk

I have some passive but very useful DIY stuff:

I have more gear, but need to shot a picture if somebody will interested in.

martialgodmask

What are they?

I've just received a components order to build a 4x4 passive matrix mixer. Had a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer clone built for me by my aforementioned friend, smashes a guitar signal to pieces like nobody's business! Yet to try it on a synth yet but I've been told it's good.

metalpunk

Different kind of switches.
Kill signal when you need it.

aischrolatreia

Quote from: martialgodmask on February 06, 2013, 12:11:13 AM
Had a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer clone built for me by my aforementioned friend, smashes a guitar signal to pieces like nobody's business! Yet to try it on a synth yet but I've been told it's good.

It is indeed very good on a synth. Have been more than satisfied with everything I've run through mine so far.

martialgodmask

Quote from: aischrolatreia on February 06, 2013, 01:02:41 AM
Quote from: martialgodmask on February 06, 2013, 12:11:13 AM
Had a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer clone built for me by my aforementioned friend, smashes a guitar signal to pieces like nobody's business! Yet to try it on a synth yet but I've been told it's good.

It is indeed very good on a synth. Have been more than satisfied with everything I've run through mine so far.

Mine is back with my friend on the workshop table, had a couple of issues with it so still yet to try a synth but should have it back by the weekend.

Completed the matrix mixer:

Thought it also needed to be checked over but it turns out this time it was me who needed checking over! Just given it a good run, works as I hoped it would.

sportfan

Hey, metalpunk, interested in making another iron cross like pedal?

metalpunk

Quote from: sportfan on February 13, 2013, 02:03:30 AM
Hey, metalpunk, interested in making another iron cross like pedal?
Maybe in the future but not now. Lack of time and it's quite complicated stuff :)