PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heretogo

The three new cds from Hospital:

AHLZAGAILZEHGUH - memory and hearing
EMIL BEAULIEAU - moonlight in vermont
VIODRE - interpol alchemi

The Emil disc is just joyful noise the way it's supposed to be done. Switching from straight-forward crunch to foolish beats & weirdo sounds in less time it takes one to say WTF! And still the balance is pretty much spot on, the foolishness is not overpowering and the album feels like NOISE. I call this life-affirming. I just wish I had more Emil on my shelves.

Viodre starts in rough & meandering field recording style, volume is used sparingly and I wonder where all this is leading to. Then the dynamic noise bursts break through to the surface, only to disappear moments later. Somehow I'm reminded of Crumer's Ottoman Black, even though the sound is superficially very different. Maybe it's the feel of plot & drama that connects these two albums? Anyway, the show goes on and there are more treats in store - including some almost noise-core'ish action + pop beats towards the end. of An intriguing cd to say the least.

And then there's Ahlzagailzehguh. This is my kind of cut-up noise! Slow and deliberate, not a showcase of skills (noise "riffs") but an album full of ideas and content. Maybe the ideas run out before the end but we'll see how it feels after repeated listening. After first listen I classify this as abstract while the Viodre disc goes under concrete.

A superb batch, very highly recommended!

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 04, 2011, 06:34:59 PM
CCCC "Early Works" 4xCD box
Remaining 2 discs wait for near days!

Disc #3 follow equally strong. some good vocal shrieks and damn the 2nd track of disc again monstrous near half hour monolith!

SOLAR HORN "Rebirth Ritual" tape
Seen the band few times live and hearing also their unofficial recordings, it's been very much of existing band for me, but seeing how they mention this tape actually being first real release for public, I assume pretty much nobody knows them? It's one half known from project AM (amongst other activities of course), and one could say it continues well into slightly similar approach what AM used to do. Simple bounding bass riffs, monotone percussion, guitar feedback and noises. I will automatically compare to some heavier days of Swans, but it's just half of the truth. There is nice addition of metal percussion, but overall tracks are build with rather crude and coarse sonic elements, where for example guitars are less of fuzzy & high distorted AM style, more of broken and damaged noiserock'ish grain. The difference is most audible in style of feedback, where constant highly distorted drone'ish smooth feedback is much more noisier, random and disharmonic. C. 20 minutes tapes I instantly played over like 3 times and it gets better while digesting the patterns of each song. Pro dubbed tapes and simple j-card with stylish design.
Released by Kaos Kontrol, but also I carry few in distro..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

ENDON "Acme Apathy Amok" CD
(upcoming on Dotsmark label)
Got preview CDR of this and I'm always curious what new Japan has to offer. To me this material sounds like Endon has taken some of the traditional Japanese noise like Hijokaidan, and updated it to 21st century. While at most wildest Hijokaidan would combined free-music/improv or team up with band like S.O.B., it still always had the sound of past decades. Endon approach has noise which is combining more contemporary elements.  Even if drummer improvises, he appears to play in style of chaotic grindcore & metal blast beats instead of "jazzy free drumming". Guitar also approaches noise with hints of improvised grind and metal patterns among pure chaos. Electronic noise has more crispy and effected feel. Sound mix is also far from jazzy "free music". All instruments are heavily distorted, but their style reflects more of grind or metal style of recording. It is still far from music. Wild high pitched screams and overall non-stop mayhem is pure noise. It doesn't have any qualities associated with heavy drone (Sunn o))) or such. Instruments suggest origin of specific underground music styles, but actually those references are almost purely destroyed by devotion of chaotic noise! Only c. 20 minutes in length, but it is very good length for material like this.

ARKHE

Received a long overdue update of my meager Segerhuva collection; seger 26-29 arrived the other day together with two older cds which I haven't listened to yet.
seger29: SRMEIXNER - Ten Thousand Ways To Die. Some sounds highly enjoyable, but it will need a lot more digestion before I get my head around it. Very diverse, but calm in a good way.
seger28: CONTRASTATE - Regiment de Rapace. First of all: AMAZING cover art. More albums should look like that. Sound-wise, the A side was a bit lost on me; a bit too much speech, and not enough actual music. However, the B side, especially the opening track " Five minutes past midnight - and welcome to the speculator", is stunning.
seger27: REGIM - Stabbed By The Blind. Sounds exactly like I expected, and exactly how I wanted it to. Harsher than INSTITUT, still as furious. Lirim Cajani upholds his position as one of the top Power Electronics musicians - if not the top - in Sweden.
seger28: HÖGA NORD. Feels superfluous to ramble about 2-3 year old albums in a scene so focused on the new and current, but this four-way split between BOCKSHOLM, DUSA, NIELLERADE FALLIBILISTHORSTAR and VÅRTGÅRD deserves to be mentioned again. I'm not going to describe the separate tracks, ranging from cynical old industrial to more experimental sounds (field recordings & stuff), suffice to say that everybody should own this, and not procuring this until last week was a big mistake on my part. Great artwork again.

So, go to segerhuva.se and buy them all.

also on the stereo yesterday: HEINZ HOPF lp on A dear girl called Wendy. A-side together with a red ale from some Copenhagen microbrewery = harsh noise bliss. B-side perhaps too much focus on high-pitched buzz for my taste, yesterday at least. + UTMARKEN 3xc20 box. Still good.

ironfistofthesun

tons of stuff lately ..

TG reissues..( lp not cd but i have to say the cd'd look amazing!!! They have done a very good job!)

prurient / time arrow ( enjoying this far more that BD! )

cloama /municipality lp ( a complex album with a dense thick sound..need to give this some more time )

Hal huch/ corrupted lp ( loved the FA tape and think hal is growing all the time as an artist..some good innovative stuff!)

irm /an act of self mutilation cd ( picked batch of irm stuff up i was missing at the gig on friday..this cd is very good! I shudder at the production cost of the elaborate packaging!!autarkeia must have a bottomless pit of cash)

COUM Transmissions Sugarmorphoses lp ( has a strange victoriana feel to the sound...off key piano and woosy tape manipulations)

Some good electroacoustic finds..
jacob druckman/ animus lp (on nonesuch...stunning !!!)
morton subotnick/ touch lp ( Buchla electronis system recording! )
John baker (classic english radiophonics)

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: ironfistofthesun on November 06, 2011, 08:01:20 PM

COUM Transmissions Sugarmorphoses lp ( has a strange victoriana feel to the sound...off key piano and woosy tape manipulations)

Frankly speaking I have mixing feelings after listening that. I hoped that it will be better than "Thee Early Worm", but, unfortunately, it isn't probably. Nice historical document, nothing more, in my opinion.

PS. The best from all this realease are enlosed ORRIDGE's words as reminisces from seventies...

NNERVES

Bourbonese Qualk 'The Spike'
Trance/Macronympha 'Audio Image Assault'
Wintheer 'Out Of'
Dadarotator 'What is a...'
Merzbow/Null 'Produktion'

RyanWreck

Flesh Spear - Raping Soil (2011, Posh Isolation) - If you like Noisecore, if you like Posh Isolation and the current state of the Denmark scene then you would be an idiot not to try and hunt this fucker out and grab it up. This is most likely the best Noisecore album to come out this year, probably my favorite since Endless Humiliation put out their already classic My Wife Is Willing LP which was earth shattering. This is just as diseased and crippled. And as far as Noisecore standards are concerned this is a pretty damn long release (C10 I believe. 7 minutes on both sides.). Fucking perfect, A+ material. I truly hope these guys release more in the future. It is hard to come up with anymore words to describe this tape so just check it out for yourself; the label posted a sample of a few tracks on Youtube so here ya go:

FLESH SPEAR - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-bd25dY7M

Sanctuary - Demo (2011, Self Release) - Got this in a trade and was a bit off put at first since I know that this was from the Youth Attack store. I gave it a try though since there have been a few good bands that have passed through there (Euthanizer, all the Posh Isolation material, Grinning Death's Head, O9A, etc). This is way different than any of the usual wanna-be Punk Black Metal that most of the so called "Metal" these Youth Attack bands play. Instead I was hit with a melancholic introduction of a lone guitar that leads into solid black beats and rasp screaming. The second track (all of the tracks are untitled) has a weird intro that reminds me of some crappy "Mathcore" band like Dillinger Escape Plan, but it soon makes up for that with more pummeling drums and tremolo riffing buried under raw tape hiss (but not buried too deep that one would call it "Black Noise", this is more like Traditional Raw BM). The music has a rich French sound to it, think Belathuzur with better vocals and faster, or the less talked about Vèrmyapre Kommando. Don't expect LLN worship or anything, these guys have a way to go before they can earn that tag but it is nice for the collection. Good artwork too - http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_images/39256027/Sanctuary2.jpg

bitewerksMTB

Is that the same DADAROTATOR that is on "Hate's Our Belief"?

NNERVES

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 08, 2011, 05:13:36 AM

Is that the same DADAROTATOR that is on "Hate's Our Belief"?

Yeah, its the same project. Both sides of this cassette are solid slabs of nasty lo-fi industrial noise.

http://433rpm.blogspot.com/2010/02/dadarotator-what-is-dadarotator-tape.html

RyanWreck

Unclean - Obscenities (2012? Unreleased but will be on Filth & Violence) - I believe this is the non-mastered version so I am not sure how raw and murky the production will end up, but knowing F&V I am sure it will stay as raw as it currently is. In the current state this release is in it is still really fucking solid crushing analog Finnish Noise. I read somewhere about a Consumer Electronics comparison, and I suppose that could be correct in certain aspects. On the track "Deviants" there are crumbling walls being manipulated and falling on top of victim tapes/samples that are hard to make out and then everything gets murky, cold and once again builds up a new wall of distortion and bouncing waves. The "Untitled" track opens with a wrestling match between fluttering pulsations and low whistling both of which soon die out into silence for a second before a harsh wall of noise explodes. I can't wait for this to be released. Also, look for an Unclean interview coming very soon to the Pure Stench.

Terre Blanche - The New Slavery (1988, AWB Recording) - Just listened to the entire Side A and am about 5 minutes into Side B and I don't remember it being this boring back when I first received it in maybe 2001-ish. Maybe it was my youth and excitement of finding (what I thought then was) shocking Industrial music? I don't know. Basic synth noise, tape hiss and drones all in lo-fi murky wrapping paper. I guess fairly standard for it's time. I'd rather listen to Slave State. (if anyone is looking to buy this msg me)

Terre Blanche – Victor Verster (1991, AWB? Or was this another label's release, I can't remember now) - OK now this is better. Some samples, interviews from South Africa concerning racism, segregation and of course rants from Eugène Ney Terre'Blanche himself (leader of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging, aka the AWB [not the label]) as well as some really out of place pop music that is probably from Africa as well. All of this co-mingling, or rather buried, with some strong synth mastery. They matured well in the 4 years between this and The New Slavery. Side A is the best of both sides. Rumbling bassy throbbing with tons of loops and mixed in samples from radio shows. Part II, or Side B, follows almost the same formula.

bitewerksMTB

Thx on the Dadarotator; d/l'ing now...

Started listening to GIALLO... KILLS! tape from Unholy Passions; giallo movie kill scenes with no credits so it's a lot of "that sounds familiar but I can't think of what movie it's from".

PHARMAKON/DETERGE split 7" on Phage Tapes; good deal here. Wish the female side was one track instead of 2 short pieces but that's a very minor gripe. Very nice death-industrial/PE with shrieking vocals. Deterge is a bit of everything & sounds good at either 45 or 33rpms. Not sure which is correct.  I kind of like the pitched down vocals at 33...

ConcreteMascara

Trap Them - Darker Handcraft (CD) - total Wolverine Blues style to this album. Great buzzsaw guitars, molten magma bass riffs and unhinged vocals. I've always been a big fan of Trap Them and while their older stuff has more of a grind element the newest releases have definite crust meets death 'n' roll feel. I've had this for a while but I just needed to be reminded how good it is.

IRM - Cult of the Young Men (CD)

Iron Fist of the Sun - Blush (Cassette)

Pestdemon - Helvetesljuset (LP) - As many have said and I think I even said before, excellent.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

andy vomit

DEATH SQUAD - isolation as intent / out-patient / theological genocide

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 09, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
IRM - Cult of the Young Men (CD)

one of the very few albums i'd call perfect.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: andy vomit on November 09, 2011, 08:37:49 PM
DEATH SQUAD - isolation as intent / out-patient / theological genocide

Recently re-issued by artists, but as CDR's. Packaging like before, but discs are cdr..