PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanWreck

I don't think you could necessarily label it as a "new direction" really since the "Vala (Oath)" and "Jugend" tracks were created in 2009 and 2010. Nonetheless this is a really good release. I can't wait for the box set for F&V #88.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: RyanWreck on December 16, 2011, 07:26:52 PM
I don't think you could necessarily label it as a "new direction" really since the "Vala (Oath)" and "Jugend" tracks were created in 2009 and 2010. Nonetheless this is a really good release. I can't wait for the box set for F&V #88.

Well I wasn't aware of the time periods when the tracks were created (even though I knew that the shorter version of Oath can be found from the 2xCS version of "White Power".), but still to me this sounds completely different than the previous XE recordings. The march song on the background and the smoothly mixed delay effected vocals created somewhat atmospheric "soundscape" in the first track and also the synth "melody" on Vala (Oath) is sort of new addition in the sound of XE.

The F&V #88 box set will kill!

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: STREETMEAT on December 16, 2011, 10:25:08 PM
Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on December 16, 2011, 08:56:38 PM

The F&V #88 box set will kill!

i think this will be reissue of old material?

I'm not sure but I remember this mentioned somewhere (probably in the XE interview by Ryan). Nevertheless any XE release is a must buy, even if it would be a compilation. I have a feeling that the packaging will be phenomenal... we'll see...

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Si Clark on December 16, 2011, 11:07:28 PM
The boxed set was mentioned in the interview in Exoteric #5. I thought that was the only XE interview, I didn't think Ryan had done one.

Oh, then I have mixed things up a little bit. I have that zine' but couldn't find mentioning of the box set as a result of quickly browsing through the interview, so I assumed that it was one made by Ryan.

RyanWreck

God Bless America comp by RRR. I usually just pop this in to listen to the Jonathan Briley and Master/Slave Relationship tracks. Someone put the Briley track on youtube so it is nice to not have to ff this tape to get there.

Ashmonger

StemCell Research Project - Charnel Houses (CD, Syzmic Records): firsts thing I heard from this act. Overall, this is very calm, more ambient like, with noisy, drony parts. Overall this wasn't bad, and I will play it again, but my first feeling was that it missed some hooks or edge... Quite nice layout, simple, but effective.

Steel Hook Prostheses - cut off the nose to spite the face (2CD, Syzmic Records): Haven't listened to all of it, but it's interesting because it collects stuff like some 3"CDrs and some compilation tracks (such as the tracks on the Texas 3LP RRRecords put out). So, it's good to have for an SHP-addict like me. Seems like SHP is very recognizable, but manages to have different atmospheres and sounds, some tracks are nearly ambient, others are more noise like, they know how to keep it interesting, in my opinion. And of course those effected vocals are often just great. Beautiful layout as well. Only minor point, which is really a detail, but couldn't help but notice it, because it's just strange, it says "contacd", funny mistake, I guess.

Defiler/Murderous Vision (7", Live Bait Foundation Recordings): Didn't know MV, so interesting to get to know it, paired with Defiler, of whom I own the titleless tape and the album. Defiler and Murderous Vision are both quite similar on this 7": death industrial, with filthy, kind of muddy sound. Definately not bad, but I liked Defilers album more than this. As for the layout, it's really simple, which isn't bad in itself, but it looks a bit thrown together, especially if you look at the frontcover: the font really doesn't fit, they had better used the same font as on the back, I think.

Some other stuff:
Hate Society - Sounds for Racial Hatred (download): catchy, sing-along stuff, hehe. Good music and I like the way it's over the top. I take it with a pinch of salt though, I know these guys are probably serious, but the message in itself doesn't do too much.

Prosanctus Inferi - Pandemonic Ululations of Vesperic Palpitations (LP, Hells Headbangers): really very good black metal, with songs like short attacks. Looking forward to get the Red Streams Of Flesh LP.

Cruciamentum/Vasaeleth (7", Hells Headbangers): two good bands, but I feel like it's not the best work from both on this 7".

P-K

a lot of Lebensfaden......very good stuff, clearly influenced by Broken Flag-MB.....but since MB only makes new-age or reissues everything 5 times i don't really mind. very bleak ong tracks, drowned in echo.

RyanWreck

Listened to both Polar Moldmentous tapes this morning. I like the first one a bit better. Broken, bleak field recordings and acoustic Noise mixed in with slow moving, degraded ambient textures, background drones and crunchy electronics.

Ashley Choke

Aaron Dilloway - The Rope And The Dogs

Dilloway more or less always comes up with something fresh. And this album is definitely no exception. A reissue of an obscure 8-track release, had me expecting something really far out, but this is actually some of the most straight-forward Dilloway output I have yet to hear. I tend to prefer his loopbased work to his more machine hiss orientated. This could be said to be a mixture of both styles with a more classic noise edge maybe. Recorded over some years the tracks a quite varying, first two sound almost PE/Industrial in nature with vocals and all, later on the sounds evolve into the more typical crackling Dilloway vibe, ending in pure lofi harsh noise. Great album which will probably be overlooked by many which it might appeal to due the the stubborn nature of the modern noise scene.

RyanWreck

Been on a Post-Punk/Synth-Pop dirge lately. Oppenheimer Analysis "New Mexico" is always a treat. Dancefloor gloom. Some random Xeno & Oaklander mp3's I got awhile ago. Nice minimal synth, drab vocals (especially when the guy sings), overall pretty good stuff. And the newest Countrepoison (Akitsa, Ames Sanglantes) which is a project that gets better with each new release. The rhythms are strong on this one, some of it is even catchy and the melodies are a bit more distorted and raw.

Also the latest Peste Noire. I don't care what anyone says I like what they did with this one. The experimental, almost Industrial undertones in some of the tracks is great. The mocking of "street thug lifestyle" with clacking guns and spraying bullets is funny and well done, awesome female vocals and of course some sing along chants in all French, which goes without saying. The production isn't raw but the buzzing guitars and sloppiness make it feel so. One of my favorite albums of the year, hands down.

ARKHE

Second that about PESTE NOIRE. They keep growing as song writers. It's not often that a black metal band manages to fuse house, skate punk and folk music and actually gets away with it.

else:
G.O. Archive II. "God sent us" just might be one of the best songs in this whole genre.
and... MAGMA. + DIAPSIQUIR.

Ashley Choke

First listens of new PI batch:

Vanity Productions - Glas Gennem Glas
Nice laid back minimal techno from a well known CPH face. Kinda reminds me of a more lofi primitive version of "Selected Ambient Works" era Aphex Twin. Except alot more oldschool techno from Copenhagen in the future

Caucasian Colony - H. Ukpabio
More lofi PE/Industrial from the by now pretty solid unit. 90s PE from the states would be a good reference. Especially the B side is really strong

Blodvite - Ett Frammande Land
Only listen to this briefly. But so far sounded really good. Blodvite is fast becoming the most interesting noise project from Scandinavia in my book

ARKHE

Who's released the BLODVITE tape? I just suppose it's a tape.

np: MILITIA: Power, Propaganda, Production! Definitely one of the strongest industrial/electronic/experimental albums of 2011.

Ashley Choke

All 3 + 6 more released by Posh Isolation (=PI)

It's fantastic. Just giving it another listen now.

ARKHE

Ah, missed the headliner. Hope I can lay my dirty hands on some of those next week...