PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

been catching up with some stuff.
Sphäre Sechs – Tiefschlaf - space ambient or cosmic ambient or whatever it is where there are always visualizations with galaxies and stars. In fact not that bad.

Maculatum ‎– The Nameless City - meh. got bored quickly. ambient.

Sewer Goddess – Disciples Of Shit: Live Waste - was sewer goddess always playing sludge? there are quite nice moments in this disc.

Sektor 304 – Subliminal Actions - is it just me or after the first cd that was praised by absolutely everyone, this went through almost unnoticed? not that bad. decent sounding industrial/doom perhaps?

Dimeth Trip – Instructions From Konstantin Lopushansky - not a bad cd. though there are places where it seems that it's enough already playing with how good delay sounds, but all in all - nice record

Whitewater Orgasm – When Was I Ever Wrong? - I noticed how funny are the descriptions of albums from L. White records just recently so I was quite enjoying reading them. This disc - there are feedbacks, walls, some guitar and voice. 3 different albums combined though I don't quite get what are the associations with f&v and freak animal. feedback?

Various – United States Bestial Forces listening to it now. Nice compilation.
- Do you know 50 power electronic bands?
- No :(
- So it looks as you are really familiar with the PE scene!
- No :( please quit with the sarcasm.
- But do you know 50 US American power electronic bands?
- I suppose no. Why do you keep asking me?
- Also. Do you like power electronics from Finland in the way of FREAK ANIMAL or FILTH&VIOLENCE?
- Yes yes I do!!!

FreakAnimalFinland

The New Blockaders "Schadenklang" LP
Hypnagogia
I think this LP fits to "good TNB" category. I have not been very fond of most of collaborations and re-mix projects, but this one is kind of usual, yet very well done multi-layered metal junk orgy. Rupenus artwork remains still amazing, but this Hypnagogia computer graphics not at all.

Atrax Morgue "Exterminate" LP
Urashima
Very good re-issue. 3 tracks, a-side long piece and two on b-side. Synth oscillations and vocals, with moody and morbid feel. It's his older style, where vocals blend in the mix smoothly and synth work is most of all dark and atmospheric, rather than the minimalist stuff of later days.

Hal Hutchinson "Wreckage & Reconstruction" LP
Unrest
Brilliant. Compared to even TNB album, this has much more focused feel of composition. Things have clear arch of development, and also plenty of playtime to churn the orgy of junk metal chaos, but also introduce sudden random acoustic metal noises wrecking the composition with sudden moments of further noisiness! Should have probably listened this BEFORE seeing his London live, since it kind of sums up the approach so well. Album lack the severe amplified distortion what live had, but it is most of all good thing!

HELM "Impossible Symmetry" LP
PAN
Oh my god!!! When Luke mentioned to me "I will include our new LP in package" (with other records), I was expecting Birds Of Delay, but Helm appears to be his solo works. And perhaps release being done by PAN, it's kind of guarantee of quality. But of what magnitude? I gave it few rotations instantly and was kind of blow away about how it could blend in together best things of drone and experimental noise electronics. It manages to keep the vivid & clever experimentation and sound sculpture, but also build pieces in best tradition of drone muzak. It has same time clarity and charming low fidelity ruggedness. In other words, artistic vision rather than trying to fit in particular niche! Brilliant!

PESTDEMON "Helvetesljuset" LP
Unrest
Another album that demands instant re-plays! Blends in dark ambient-noise / death industrial type without relying on gray'ish and lifeless form, but actively manipulate and boldly relatively innovatively combine things like grim noises, dark synthesizers, classical music samples etc. Managing totally escape from cheesiness of gothic side of "dark industrial". It's about the time more bands would approach dark and sinister sound without being software/soundtrack oriented, but with feeling of being result of exceptional craftmanship. To play it LOUD is mandatory. Deep frequencies won't get their attention with low hissy volumes!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Mattias G

All three HELM LP´s he has released so far have been brilliant. Each with very different sound.

ghoulson

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 25, 2012, 07:37:38 PM

ORQUERE "Foundations" CD
L&B
But fuck!! This is brilliant. Tape manipulations and concrete sounds. No effects. Think of Vivenza being able to get over the up-tight futurist concept music and loosen up a bit into direction of industrial/noise and Orquere lurks somewhere in that direction. Brilliant mechanic sound loops full of tasty character & feeling. It is so close to my ideal listening material, I can merely worship!

Orquere really make some great sounds that brings both Vivenza and S*Core into mind. Viktor is a mastermind when it comes to finding new and interesting expressions in sound. The live show in Stockholm was amazing. Not much happening on stage, only tape manipulations but it worked for me in its cold and desolate form. I forgot to purchase the CD on Ljud & Bild but got a tour tape that I'll listen to later today along with the new Järtecknet vinyls...

ARKHE

Last few days I've been spinning the new ALUK TODOLO double album. Takes guts to do 89 minutes of monotonous, instrumental rock music with kraut and black metal influences (or perhaps, 89 minutes of instrumental black metal kraut doom rock whatever). Their gig last year in Malmö was one of the greatest conerts I've seen, and their material then was from this album, also heard on that live tape they did. There's not much progress from their earlier albums, but it's warmer and richer in sound; extremely heavy at times. "Occult Rock" is the album title, which just sums it up.

CHAOS ECHOES, their debut album "Tone of things to come"; French experimental death metal, sounds like PORTAL with some improv sections (string/cymbal noise etc). Doesn't grip you by the throat all the time, but for a first album this is quite outstanding.

Also revisiting some Unrest-related material: SOFT OPTION KILLING and BRANDKOMMANDO tapes, + the SHIFT / MUTANT APE split cd from 2005. Great material; interesting to consider the natural evolution of the SHIFT sound.

And I do need to acquire that ORQUERE cd, it seems.

FreakAnimalFinland

CHAINS OF DEATH COMMAND "Human Waste Music" 7"
F&V / Untergeschoss
If they were harsh before, now even more so. Barbaric noise metal/rock? In what sense? Sonic quality is like contemporary gutter PE, yet music is like non-scene midpaced metal of some sort, with caveman roar vocals. Nothing it tight. Its fierce elements are just ear-sore build on everything being kind of "out of place". Some of the most horrid cymbal sounds drill your ear.

CONCRETE MASCARA "relic of vanity" 7"
F&V / Untergeschoss
Surprisingly stylish artwork for these labels! Looks almost like some modern day American comic books! I listened this like 3 times today, and still have hard time to conclude anything. It follows CM's path further, heavy noise and loosely structured PE. Vocals, electronics, basically the regular elements all here. It doesn't blow my mind instantly, but there is something luring especially in b-side what demands for instant re-play.

(I suspect these above will be out next week)

V/A KOSMOLOKO 2 -LP
Galakt Horro
Huh! Better than #1? Who knows, since it's been so many years since that, but the usual GH set up with: Haus Arafna, Subliminal, Herz Juhning, November Növelet and Hermann Kopp. In usual GH manner, if you wouldn't check out the tracklisting, it could be hard to tell for 100% certainty who is who - except Kopp. Of course NN is sweeter and cleaner than anyone else, of course Subliminal is the hardest and most abstract PE style. Yet still, the style of sounds, vocals, rhythm boxes, effects, the keyboard tones and subtle melodies, and how songs are structured, are like drawing lines into water. Yet its all good. I don't mind. Whole label lives its isolated excellency, crafting side-projects from small nuances, and just when you though the melodic pattern or more aggro distorted vocal assault defines the difference of couple projects - then line is blurred again.
Charming rotten and saturated analogue sounds, yet sharp, clean and tight mixing, so nothing becomes blurry mess. Each sharp drum machine beat and synthesizer oscillation can be heard - including their tasty reverb drenched spices. Style what GH bands are exceptionally good in using. Meaning that effects are not constantly on, but reverb may be applied on selected beats, vocals, or electronics once in a while, with perfect results. There is this melancholic tone and vibration in almost all the sounds. Packaging and presentation, guaranteed work.

KAY LAWRANCE "Gills Cut Into Women" LP
Urashima
Uh... do I dare to say total shit? It is The Rita + Alo Girl and "using water as source".. but it sounds like some of the laziest crackle-studies I've heard. Powerless, emotionless, crackling distortion.

JOSH LAY "Rotted Afterlife" LP
Urashima
4 long tracks of experimental electronics. Deep sounds and slow moving backgrounds combined with variety of other elements. Sometimes damaging high pitched electronics. Sometimes additional layer of electronic pulsations or echoes feedbacks. There is something suffocating in its approach, yet I feel LP is maybe slightly exaggerated for material like this. It's lacking some real compositional skill. Often layers appear to operate with no real aim. Especially audible it is in final track which calms down, but unlike 3 noisier tracks before it, is even more routine job. Not bad album, but certainly not to-be-classic.

MT

MASONNA - Ultimate Collection vol. 2

Oh my god! What a brilliant CD. First two tracks gives you the 'typical' Masonna with full speed attacks of screaming and torturing feedback, but these two songs are long, like 17 minutes. A real trip of high quality Masonna in long form. Two other tracks are a bit diffrent Masonna, at least for me, psychedelic, yet harsh at times. Interesting apprcoah and it works! sometimes the sounds bend so far, almost coming to a halt but then suddenly bursting to another sound.

FreakAnimalFinland

When these came out, I was kind of surprised that "ultimate collection" would consist most of all quite big run releases. Vol 1 with Masonna Vs. Bananamara LP and Hyper Chaotic CD... and the latter I had still for sale not so many years ago. And the 2nd would be Shinsen Na Clitoris CD and perhaps only ultra rare would be including self released Tripsy Sunshine CDr...
But then again... I guess one loses the perspective of "rarity".. suddenly Even Shinse Na Clitoris appears to be in discogs 60 euro price tag despite being 500 copies CD...

Latest I listened again was Masonna ‎– Noskl In Ana. One of my favorites, and it is still strong. Some of Masonna didn't hold time that well.

FreakAnimalFinland

Claude Anthonioz / Jean Humenry ‎"Bruits D'Horreur Et D'Épouvante" LP
Auvidis
So, I was in copenhagen couple weeks ago for live gig and visited record shop. I asked owner if their section of classical/experimental vinyls include any Danish contemporary classical worth checking out. He browses a bit, and pulls out this LP. Not Danish and not classical. Says you could be into it, and gives a spin for track called TORTURE A L'ELECTRICITE. Including nothing but sound of electricity and man yelling. 10 seconds later I said "I'll take this".
It's 1982 French release, 21 short cuts varying from this kind of horror/torture scene audio representations, to field recordings of thunderstorm to something one could easily filed under "industrial noise". Auvidis label and its multiple sub-labels appear to put out regular classical titles, Mozart, Bach, etc. but also ethnic, soundtrack music etc. But still, this somehow is one of those "what the fuck?" records. Several tracks are just male moaning or yelling. Not in a "cool" way, but kind of Gerogerigegege way, what makes you wonder what audience bought this from label back then? Well, they did other experimental obviously. Something found online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFPdtuyfGaA (seems like tape version of album?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvjNUAfm7E&feature=relmfu (other labels stuff)

Curious if anyone knows the label and what type of other stuff they may have?

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 30, 2012, 09:40:35 PM
Curious if anyone knows the label and what type of other stuff they may have?

I have only LP "Métro-Underground". Very interesting field recordings.

online prowler

Carlo Gesualdo - Sabbato Sancto.
Dissonant Italian classical from the renaissance. Recommend reading a bit on Gesualdo as well. Interesting character. Self taught composer with a mildly scandalous life.  
Harmoni Mundi CD 1990

Phil Collins - Face Value.
Pop classic, best pitched down.
Virgin LP 1979

John Carpenter - The Fog.
Film score and ghost stories like it should be told.

Street Drinkers - Dead Secrets.
A depressive hang over.
Posh isolation LP 2012

La Planete Sauvage - Soundtrack.
Excellent score for an excellent animation film from '73. Orchestral, psych, slow funk, atmospheric, horror movie vibe alá Komeda's Rosemaries Baby at times.
Production is remarkable.  

Orlando Kimber & John Keliehor - East Meets West.
Came across this library release some years ago by chance. Clear Asian and pacific theme on the record. Percussion, synthesizers and advanced studio techniques.
Bruton Music LP 1984

The
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 30, 2012, 09:40:35 PM
Claude Anthonioz / Jean Humenry ‎"Bruits D'Horreur Et D'Épouvante" LP
was interesting. Will check it out.

ConcreteMascara

Bronze Age - Antiquated Futurism 12" - acid techno. supposed to be played at 45RPM but sounds way better at 33RPM. K party.

SpaceGhostPurrp - Mysterious Phonk: The Chronicles of SpaceGhostPurrp 2xLP - strange, drugged up hip-hop. good shit.

Novo Progresso -Swan Song For A Decaying Culture Cassette - Ashley C's new alias I believe. definitely prefer this tape loop stuff. good to space out / read to

Johan Söderqvist - Let The Right One In LP - the soundtrack is even grimmer than the movie?!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Levas

Cyclotimia ‎– Music For Stockmarkets - took this is just out of curiosity, but was disappointed. 1-2 minute tracks, supposedly made with computer and there are just blip blop blip blop and then next track dzhkshh blop and so on.

Cyclotimia ‎– Celestis
- I think this band is one of the worst that I've heard lately. This is something that goths would dance a decade ago. Quite cheap and horrible.

Anthesteria - Phobos 1953 - good dark ambient. nothing too innovative perhaps and so on, but it was just nice to listen to it. it's a soundtrack from sort of computer game i think.

Kshatriy ‎– Transforming Galaxy - this is indeed very good album. Ambient + field recordings perhaps or something like that. very nice

Linekraft ‎– Bouryoku Kikai - a nice CD! great sounds and not only metal banging!

Hypsiphrone ‎– And The Void Shall Pierce Their Eyes - it was some sort of doom/ambient if i remember correctly. nothing to cheer about.

Kristoffer Nyströms Orkester ‎– Overlook Hotel - meh. sort of industrial, but nothing too interesting.

Skin Area ‎– Rothko Field - very good! varied and interesting. I think one of the best from Skin Area

Funerary Call - Nightside Emanations- also the record that surprised me. Very good.

Death Jenk ‎– Death Jenk - awesome harsh noise! The harshest from USA combined. Gnawed, Wince, Custodian, Baculum, Willful.. Perfect!

RyanWreck

Right now "Sonno Ferrum". I wish I still had the tracklisting I came up with (with help from the guy who put this out, of course).

You know what would be fucking awesome? A "Sonno Ferrum Part 2". Brilliant! Get to working on it guys...

online prowler

Quote from: theotherjohn on October 01, 2012, 07:52:44 PM
DEATH GRIPS NO LOVE DEEP WEB
Second major label album by the group just got leaked before the label even heard it - naturally Pitchfork and a million other music news sites have all simultaneously shit their pants. Mine are a bit runny too. Just started listening to it now so will report later. Nice cover art though.

Death Grips published their new record No Love Deep Web on their own site, free to dwnlwd for whom ever interested. Personally I find their fundament in Hip hop with noise references quite interesting and good. Dwnlwded the album today, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

LINK here // http://thirdworlds.net/main/death.php