PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Listened to a bunch of Severed Head of State songs on youtube. May have to grab something from'em as prices on discogs are not too high. Also, discogs says Jackontroll does mastering for Enormous Door Studios which may be in his home (ED did the work on the Poison Idea reissues on TKO- my friend, the World Burns to Death bassist mentioned that awhile back).

HONOR_IS_KING!

Toilet Trades - S/T  CS
Incredibly too short, but the material on it is killer. Has a real ugly/droney vibe with what sounds like field recordings of sounds made in the bathroom. Hopefully there will be another release and it will be longer.

Content Nullity - Scorn of Totality CS
Unbelievably well composed and executed power electronics. Some of the most furious PE I've heard in some time. Two excellent tracks of anger driven perfection! Great packaging makes this tape all that much more worth it.

Mailbomb Solution/Compromised Position - "Comrades of Kaczynski"  CS
Primitive No Coast Power Electronics. Has a very grim, dense, left wing focus. The Compromised Position is the winner, but MBS still packs a punch with some excellent harsh noise on the second track of side A.

Gnawed/The Thin White Puke - Split CS
Two more No Coast PE/Industrial coming together for a split. Gnawed side opens up with a monstrous Industrial field recording manipulations of what sound like saw blades (artwork features sawblades on fire......) Just my guess but it makes for a great intro, as the second song captures Grant's classic sound. Big booms and aggressive vocals. TTWP usually gets downplayed because of his name, but I feel that Dan is a strong new comer to the Minnesota scene. First track opens up with a massive wall and a fairly bitter and ugly movie sample, which quickly escalates into a rhythmic, clanging industrial beat. Second track opens with ugly, cold drones. Muffled, angry vocals bleed in and out throughout the track. Quite the split showcasing why Minneapolis does it right.

Developer - AP-003 CS
Matthew killing it like always with pure maniacal, cut up, tape loop/cassette worship to the fullest. Loops fading in and out as quickly as they came. Bursts of peace and quiet. Very much like Dayton, Ohio and what its been putting out lately. Excellence.

Anal Barbara/Musta Oksennus - Split CS
Anal Barbara was not my cup of tea. Vocals were a little too goofy for me. The Musta Oksennus side though is exactly what I was hoping it to be. Chaotic noisecore that drifts in and out of mid-tempo punk. Fucking spot on! And the drums sound awesome!

Orgasmic Response Unit - Dissonant Love CS
The Tandy brothers at it again with pure unadulterated scrap metal/harsh noise worship. Fierce and uncompromising. Macronympha worship to the highest, yet still bringing their own sound and textures into play. Side A brings a much more fierce attack while Side B has more of a metal feel to it. Really disappointed that I never got to see them live before I moved out west. Long live Dayton, Ohio!

V/A - Arachnid Claims Its Prey: A Tribute To Atrax Morgue CS
Neat packaging and excellent artists to compliment this tribute. Well assembled and dubbed perfectly. Solid efforts on all parts, with some very interesting interpretations.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on October 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PM
GRUNT - World Draped In A Camouflage (Freak Animal Records 2012) CD
Every next release is better and better. Progress and quality. Lack of words. I am very impressed. Rousing applause!
(PS. In my opinion the track number 5 from this CD has clippings, but maybe it was intended. I am curious others opinion)

Broken sound is intended as there basic sound of track was recorded mono, on analogue tape. Dry and non effected sound creates some of these impurities, when "edits" are done live-in-studio. In digital form, material has never been put to maximum clipping levels.
In some early mix of album, there was few clippings, but with some technical computer lessons from mr. Umpio, it was solved..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

Edward Artemyev* ‎– Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker - really enjoying this, although not The Mirror pieces as much. I'd say it veers towards new age muzak at times, but given the historical context I don't think that's accurate. The music certainly works well outside the context of the films, though it really just makes me want to watch them.

Amph / SSRI - Split (cassette) - great shit. The covering around the tape case, I think it's that shit you put under rugs so they don't move?

Vatican Shadow - Jordanian Descent (cassette) - harder rhythms/beats on this one. I think the a-side really benefits from the playing time (15min) because it's allowed to shift and evolve naturally

Vatican Shadow - Ghosts of Chechnya (cassette) - the mellower side of VS.

Regis - In A Syrian Tongue (12") - techno :P

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on October 09, 2012, 06:03:37 AM
Toilet Trades - S/T  CS
Incredibly too short, but the material on it is killer. Has a real ugly/droney vibe with what sounds like field recordings of sounds made in the bathroom. Hopefully there will be another release and it will be longer.

Where might one find this?
Shikata ga nai.

STREETMEAT

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on October 10, 2012, 05:12:40 AM
Toilet Trades - S/T  CS

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2080.15

mdtdeath

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on October 10, 2012, 05:12:40 AM
Toilet Trades - S/T  CS

You can find it here http://santos-productions.blogspot.com ;)

SiClark

It's a very nice little tape.

mdtdeath

Ashley Choke

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 10, 2012, 04:20:51 AM

The new Regis right? How does it compare to the earlier works? Just found Gymnastics in my local secondhand store. Great album

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: KHH on October 11, 2012, 12:24:39 PM

The new Regis right? How does it compare to the earlier works? Just found Gymnastics in my local secondhand store. Great album

Relatively new, it came out last year I believe. In comparison to Gymnastics it's quite different in execution, but enjoyable in the same way. Gymnastics being nothing but 4/4, dense, raw, hard as nails techno with a hint of acid, In A Syrian Tongue is much more polished. The sounds have more room to breathe and it's broken beat. And the songs are really songs, as opposed to 5 minute sections of what could be infinitely long pieces. At the same time its unmistakably Regis. This is the 3rd pressing of the 12" with the other 2 selling for like 20-30 euros right now.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Mikerdeath

Content Nullity - Scorn of Totality CS
Unbelievably well composed and executed power electronics. Some of the most furious PE I've heard in some time. Two excellent tracks of anger driven perfection! Great packaging makes this tape all that much more worth it.

I could not bust a groove to this tape as hard as I tried. Maybe a different release from this project would do it better. Taxi Driver samples were cool but left me wanting something more thought provoking. I was left feeling the same way about the sounds...

Edward Artemyev* ‎– Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker - really enjoying this, although not The Mirror pieces as much. I'd say it veers towards new age muzak at times, but given the historical context I don't think that's accurate. The music certainly works well outside the context of the films, though it really just makes me want to watch them.

Solaris and Stalker are excellent films, probably two of the best of the Genre of science fiction. The Book version of Solaris is also great. I would love to hear these soundtracks by themselves.

Ashley Choke

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 11, 2012, 03:11:27 PM
Quote from: KHH on October 11, 2012, 12:24:39 PM

Relatively new, it came out last year I believe. In comparison to Gymnastics it's quite different in execution, but enjoyable in the same way. Gymnastics being nothing but 4/4, dense, raw, hard as nails techno with a hint of acid, In A Syrian Tongue is much more polished. The sounds have more room to breathe and it's broken beat. And the songs are really songs, as opposed to 5 minute sections of what could be infinitely long pieces. At the same time its unmistakably Regis. This is the 3rd pressing of the 12" with the other 2 selling for like 20-30 euros right now.

So by description and new-found rarity I guess Sandwellish?

Human Larvae

Cloama - Municipality of Marionettes
great lp on FA, lots of diversity and a great melancholic opener, very organic sounds.

Cloama - At the mountains of paranoia
again, good opening and closing tracks, but I can't really get into the songs in between. Kind of have the feeling that they don't go anywhere. More like a badly recorded guitar drone album. Pity

Cloama - Death Certificate
This 7" I really got into. Death Certificate is a catchy ass song!

Brighter Death Now/ Proiekt Hat - Destroy
Listened to this while trying to sleep in the car after a long night of whatever. Lots of warm bassy loops, will be giving this many more listens in the future.

FreakAnimalFinland

KARLHEIZ STOCKHAUSEN "Beton Studie / Zeitmass fur funf holzbläser / Klavierstuck XI" LP
Doxy
Starts with good experimental sound piece, yet most of the playingtime is just "regular" piano avantgarde.

KARLHEIZ STOCKHAUSEN "studie I / Studie II / Gesang der junglinge / Zyklus fur zwei schlagzeugern" LP
Doxy
This is really good one. A-side 1953 + 1954 and then two other pieces 1956 & 1960. I guess almost look-a-like LP was done previously by Deutsche Gramophon. Doxy edition looks more minimalistic = dull, but sounds good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2JEcCMopE

PHILIP CORNER "Italian Air: Wind, Water & Metal" LP
Ricerca Sonora
Got some early recordings on CD from Corner, but got couple of recent LP's. It's funny that often you got this idea that you should do recording -- or find someonese else doing recording in very specific method. Something you haven't come across, but certainly realize it's so "normal" idea, it should be done. And this is one of those cases. So what it is, is Corner playing cymbals in environment. Basically field recording of harbor/beach somewhere in Italy, where you hear the water, boats, wind, and other sounds happening, while Corner plays his two cymbals. Very minimalistic, very little happening. But in other hand, so much happening! No effects, and I suspect no editing. I did plenty of this with Alchemy of the 21st Century project, yet only been planning to get electronic noise (or "PE") in similar setting. Where recording would capture unusual place and it's reaction to the sound, rather than some dull line-in / usual close-up speaker recording. We'll see.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net