PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Had not heard anything about these 3 new 7"s on Dead mind records, but I guess they were fresh from the press when I saw them in Belgian gig merch table.

ASTRO "Deformation Receiver" 7"
Noisy stuff! There is this veil of reverb that drenches the whole piece into kind of wet and saturated mass, but in level of details, its fast electronic noise. Distortion, electronics, synth, but basically only the echo takes the atmosphere closer to old oscillation wave Astro. This is noise!! Good!

K2 "Variation: Pianoise" 7"
So.. Piano, feedbacksystem, MTR and various effects. No computers, no midi. "Piano for Sadists" is great song title, and K2 does his best to malform the original sound into pure noise assault. Sound is slightly one dimensional compared to good old metal junk K2, but sharp ripping noise is still pretty nice. Rotated in few times and not entirely sure yet what to think of it, but as it appears to take several listens easily, it can't be bad.

Kazumoto Endo & Kazuma Kubota "Gyoen Bedieningshendel" 7"
This is right there on the edge of whether I will declare this collaboration Japanese being great.. or not that great. Why? I have kind of love & hate relationship with silence within noise. When stop'n'go / cut up harsh noise is done with precise editing and short diverse bursts of ultimate energy attack your ears from speakers - it can be some of the best. But when burst last 0,5 seconds, followed with 2 seconds of silence and 1 second bursts with 3 seconds of silence and and ... come on!! Play the noise! It's like puzzle what appears to be great, but the pieces are slightly scattered and it looks like not really put together. I know they must have been timing perfectly and planning the tensions of silence vs. noise, but problem to me is that it never climaxes. Jerks little here and there, but eventually doesn't go to any direction. Sound of noise itself, high voltage electrocution with ultra distorted noise pressure. Too bad the flow is so fragmented... Still - after all critics - in the style, it's still nice 7" to give playtime..

All 3 items are full color covers, good sound, printed labels, and pretty cheap for being ltd 200 each.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

Currently listening to Deathkey/BU split CS which I received today (Thanks, IS!!).

This was my first taste of Deathkey and honestly it didn't really convince me. The noise was very boring and powerless and the vocal work didn't really impress me either. I wonder how's the other Deathkey stuff? I have all their releases in my wantlist but don't want to buy them if they're as weak as the track on this release.
For me, the BU track sounded "musically" very good but seems like there was also some lack of power. The noise is basic BU, the vocals are basic BU but the power of which BU is known for is missing. Makes me wonder if the tape version is to blame? The ones who have the vinyl version, I would appreciate if you could let me know how does it sound.

online prowler

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on March 01, 2013, 04:58:09 PM
Currently listening to Deathkey/BU split CS which I received today (Thanks, IS!!).

This was my first taste of Deathkey and honestly it didn't really convince me. The noise was very boring and powerless and the vocal work didn't really impress me either. I wonder how's the other Deathkey stuff? I have all their releases in my wantlist but don't want to buy them if they're as weak as the track on this release.
For me, the BU track sounded "musically" very good but seems like there was also some lack of power. The noise is basic BU, the vocals are basic BU but the power of which BU is known for is missing. Makes me wonder if the tape version is to blame? The ones who have the vinyl version, I would appreciate if you could let me know how does it sound.

I enjoyed this release. If you want to check out more Deathkey I recommend his 2010 release Doctrine of Intolerant Hatred. The song Revolt Against the Modern World is pure bliss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelkkpV73xY

Scat-O-Logy

^Thanks a lot!! I also got some info from Simon, who's always willing to help.

FreakAnimalFinland

Yeah, most stuff probably can be found in youtube. Deathkey is kind of love it or hate it kind of project. In many ways could be compared Streicher. For some people these don't make any sense, for others, just so beyond the standard, it's amazing.

BU stuff is about same session as split with WOM. If you have that, you can compare sound.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

online prowler

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 01, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
Yeah, most stuff probably can be found in youtube. Deathkey is kind of love it or hate it kind of project. In many ways could be compared Streicher. For some people these don't make any sense, for others, just so beyond the standard, it's amazing.

BU stuff is about same session as split with WOM. If you have that, you can compare sound.

Streicher is monumental.

Scat-O-Logy

The track which "online prowler" recommended sounded a lot better than the track on BU split but still not quite my stuff. I still have to give the "Doctrine of Intolerant Hatred" a try so I can make my final decision.

Listened "The Great Corrupter" by Sick Seed just a while ago.

I really appreciate Pekka's unique style to create PE covers from such strange bands as Autopsy (well, not really strange for PE fans) and Billy Holiday (BUT THIS, HAHA) but it all makes a perfect sense. Autopsy track is about child killing and abuse and Billy Holiday track is about niggers hanging in trees. I must give credit for PPT's varied musical taste and the way he can make it work in PE. Anyway, about the release. My personal favorite tracks on "The Great Corrupter" are definitely the opener, "Irstaasta...". The lyrics are great, vocals very powerful and the noise goes perfectly with it all. And then there's "Huorakatu" which is actually one of my all-time-favorite PE tracks. The track in the beginning (what's the track btw??) makes me grin as a Finn. Hilarious! The vocals are very very aggressive with a lot of power and, once again, the noise goes perfectly with it all, this time more violent & short attack (hits like a fist to whores face!!). The lyrics are very nice contrast to the sample in the beginning. First there's a cunt crying about how people treat whores badly and then the sex freak animal whorefucker get's lose, haha. Gotta love it! Overall very strong release. The only downside in my opinion is "The Most Hated..." which is quite long piano based track. I like the melody, haven't really paid that much attention to the lyrics, so can't really comment, but what bothers me about the track is the fact how digital the piano sounds. I could be wrong but as a guy who have played digital piano for five years, I'm quite sure it's digital.

Then decided to spin "Lily The Flesh" by BU after a long break.

My favorite BU work is Viha & Kiima but I still like Lily The Flesh era BU very much. Quite similar to Mother trilogy, definitely filthy & violent sounds. Some parts on this tape sounds like they're recordings from Fallen Angel domina sessions. Can't be sure though.

Currently listening to "Purification" by BU.

Another one I haven't listened for a while. I'm lucky to own the cassette version so I have all the extra filth. This used to be my favorite BU release before V&K came out.

Going to be a long night, hehe.

Scat-O-Logy

I also listened some tracks from "Seer Of Decay" by Grunt yesterday while paying a visit to my father who has quite supreme sound system and I can honestly say, the album sounded phenomenal. I have quite acceptable sound system as well but not nearly as good as my fathers and my space is quite limited so I can't really place the speakers properly. Anyway, the album opened up in completely different way. Sound was big, clear and crunchy. I was able to point out every little detail from the tracks and it left me completely mesmerized. It even amazed my jazz-freak father (before he left the room, holding his ears, haha).
Most of the releases leave me graving for more but "Seer Of Decay" leaves me completely exhausted. Like I would've been with Mikko, banging some metal for the whole day and then sit down to a couch with him and listen to the final results (haha, sorry).

Scat-O-Logy

Once again listening to "Infestation" by Forza Albino and trying to understand why some people like this release so much. The release is very good soundwise and Viktor did a great mastering job (as always) but the tracks doesn't really work for me even though I think the idea behind them is quite interesting. The implementation is quite dragging and the somewhat jaded vocal work doesn't really help. I can clearly hear that the artist responsible of vocal delivery put a lot of heart in his output but it still didn't really work for me. If there's someone who missed out, maybe we can do a trade? I also have "MOT" CS which I haven't listened for a while but I remember not really liking that one either.

Johann

sun ra
don cherry,
walter carson - weighted ghost
walter carson & three legged race, nocturnal hymn
darksmith - landslide
darksmith - countdown to man in the clouds, this is one of my favorite tapes...completely blows my mind everytime.

Ganesha23

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on March 03, 2013, 04:04:39 AM
And then there's "Huorakatu" which is actually one of my all-time-favorite PE tracks. The track in the beginning (what's the track btw??) makes me grin as a Finn. Hilarious! The vocals are very very aggressive with a lot of power and, once again, the noise goes perfectly with it all, this time more violent & short attack (hits like a fist to whores face!!). The lyrics are very nice contrast to the sample in the beginning. First there's a cunt crying about how people treat whores badly and then the sex freak animal whorefucker get's lose, haha. Gotta love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDvZ0uZPYU It's a shame that she has now moved from hiphop/r'n'b to standard pop music.

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on March 03, 2013, 04:04:39 AM
The only downside in my opinion is "The Most Hated..." which is quite long piano based track. I like the melody, haven't really paid that much attention to the lyrics, so can't really comment, but what bothers me about the track is the fact how digital the piano sounds. I could be wrong but as a guy who have played digital piano for five years, I'm quite sure it's digital.

The piano is sampled and looped from a recording by another artist. I'm 99% sure it's actual (grand) piano but I suppose the sound has got a bit distorted on the way.

As for playlist:

Total: Hard + Low - Love the variation and primitive quality, but I think most tracks and the whole album would have benefited from shorter length.

Flooded Church Of Asmodeus: Satan's Punishment - The Ultimatum - Ouch my ears! Insane Gonkulator-worshipping (black) metal that walks a path of it's own.

Guapo: Black Oni - Supreme instrumental prog/zeuhl/mathrock with occasional ritualistic feel.

Some Altar Of Flies vinyls - This may well be my favourite project at the moment. Perfectly layered loops and old-time analogue feel all the way.

Preview of the next Bizarre Uproar album - Oh boy, many will be surprised.......

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: UNTERGESCHOSS on March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDvZ0uZPYU It's a shame that she has now moved from hiphop/r'n'b to standard pop music.
Kiitti linkistä! Ei oo koskaan tullu hirveesti radioo kuunneltua, joten koko "Mariska" ihan tuntematon. Loistobiisi kyllä! :D

Quote from: UNTERGESCHOSS on March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM
Preview of the next Bizarre Uproar album - Oh boy, many will be surprised.......
Odotan kyllä innolla mitä Pasi seuraavana ulostaa.

HongKongGoolagong

JFK - TEENAGE FANTASY 1987-88 - I like the Fourth Dimension single but also had an 80s cassette ('333' I think it's called) which isn't so great, so I was unprepared for how impressive this set of out-there experimental noise-rock sounds, with the customary excellent Harbinger pressing and mastering. Very enjoyable and undefinable music. My copy comes with a 'signed art print' which is neither use nor ornament but an amusing bonus item

ETHNIC ACID - POWER WORKS 1986-88 - the same act under a more strictly noise format without much of a beat anywhere. Again, very inventive sounds. Some power electronics influence but apparently using more conventional instrumentation through some kind of self-created teenage recording set-up. Great set of music

I know there was a second Novatron album recorded sometime around 2000 but never released by Cold Spring. As Anthony Di Franco's work seems to be more appreciated years after he made it, I guess that will be out by 2015.

Levas

Yves Botz + Roro Perrot - Saboteur - meh

Roro Perrot - Blotto Folk - this one's nice shitty album

Fecalove/MDT - La Merda - more shit, but this one's weaker than Toilet Trades. Far less varied sounds and rather silent.

Crown of Cerberus - Her Strength
- absolutely the best of CoC!! Highly recommended

Caligula 031 - Odessa - very nice album. Somewhat different from other albums. The tracks seem to be longer.

I†† ‎– Iao - not impressed

Crown of Cerberus - Mother Nature's Eyes of Fire - nice one, but not that good as her strength

Society of Surgeons - The Corridors of the med.fac society
. - hm. it's in the pile of releases that I've listened to already, but I don't remember the sound.. who knows. let's say meh

Vilgoc - Vril
- HNW.

Noises of Russia - Experimental Structure - ambient/experimental etc. Live performance, decent recording, material - nothing groundbreaking

Cremation Lily - It's ok to say no
- I'm still trying to understand the greatness of this project. Maybe it's the limited runs of releases or so. decent two tapes though.

Arse - Discography
- good stuff for a nice sunny morning. Though I think the band playing like that in Lithuania would be called grindcore. but very nice stuff

Scat-O-Logy

Enjoying tea along with Grunt Live Assaults box (kiitti Ville!). Currently listening to the first disc and all I can say is great PE. This shall be my lullaby for tonight. :)