Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Alex

Aderlating - Gospel Of The Burning Idols cd
Deathstench ‎- Massed In Black Shadow cd
Maculatum ‎- The Nameless City cd
Amon - Foundation 2xcd
Caul - Reliquary cd
Luasa Raelon - The Poison City cd [one of the most underrated release ever! Real masterpiece!]

andy vomit

TxRxP - the totality of death programmes A+B
ADERLATING - gospel of the burning idols
ISOMER - nil by mouth
BRIGHTER DEATH NOW - greatest death
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

eyestrain

Quote from: Dr Alex on July 10, 2013, 03:43:05 PM
Caul - Reliquary cd

Lovely album. Enjoy this so much more than their strict droning albums.

eyestrain

Quote from: Dr Alex on July 12, 2013, 02:24:01 AM
I like most of his works. Check last album on Malignant. Great one!!!
http://www.malignantrecords.com/releases/4333

Have been meaning to. Really like the samples I've heard - leaning on a "post-rock" shoulder. Guess it's time to place an order.

Zeno Marx

Thanks for the Kinit Her and Hheva leads.  Heard neither, but I'm looking forward to doing so this weekend because of your write-ups.

You cannot go wrong with any Zoviet France.  If the name is on it, it's of the highest quality.  They've changed over the years, but they haven't lost a step at any turn.  I'd recommend Loh Land and Shouting at the Ground as favorites, but that's merely splitting hairs.  It's all top shelf.

Caul deserves a lot more discussion than he receives.  He was unique from the start, and even in a stable of other top ambient artists, he was sitting at another table, doing his own thing and exploring different territory.  He's one of the few who, when being born again (not sure if he'd use that term), turned that into great inspiration.  It didn't hinder him like it does so many others.  It seemed to open his world more than create walls.  Are there any good interviews with him?  I can't remember if he was in Audio Drudge, and if he was, was it in his Christian phase?  I hope I'm not confusing artists here.  If so, I apologize to Caul.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 12, 2013, 06:10:54 AM
Thanks for the Kinit Her and Hheva leads.  Heard neither, but I'm looking forward to doing so this weekend because of your write-ups.

You cannot go wrong with any Zoviet France.  If the name is on it, it's of the highest quality.  They've changed over the years, but they haven't lost a step at any turn.  I'd recommend Loh Land and Shouting at the Ground as favorites, but that's merely splitting hairs.  It's all top shelf.

Caul deserves a lot more discussion than he receives.  He was unique from the start, and even in a stable of other top ambient artists, he was sitting at another table, doing his own thing and exploring different territory.  He's one of the few who, when being born again (not sure if he'd use that term), turned that into great inspiration.  It didn't hinder him like it does so many others.  It seemed to open his world more than create walls.  Are there any good interviews with him?  I can't remember if he was in Audio Drudge, and if he was, was it in his Christian phase?  I hope I'm not confusing artists here.  If so, I apologize to Caul.

Will definitely dig deeper into Zoviet France's works upon hearing that. They've always been a name I've encountered, but only in passing. Never heard any discussion on them in depth. Gotta have leads...

Kinit Her's Storm Of Radiance is, for me, their magnum opus. So far, that is. Both guilty parties are involved in a slew of beautiful works. Together they do Wreathes, which is probably the freshest and most celestial take on neofolk I've ever heard. Troy is involved with solo works which meander between improvised violin torture and classical compositions. He also is one half of the peaceful ambient group Rain Drinkers. His artistic touch is also loosely involved in a handful of other places. Nathaniel does solo work under the canopy of Circulation Of Light. These pieces are primarily based around piano - perhaps it is a keyboard as synth-like sounds find their way in as well. The Perennial Philosophy and its place in Kinit Her's work becomes apparent in these works. Christian mysticism and the Tao have its symbolism intermingled on Acheiropoieta, for example, not to mention that the sounds heard are clearly of a highly introverted nature. Sheer beauty.

I will find more time for Caul as well and will have to share thoughts here. I will always commend artists within the underground who have the courage to share their beliefs when they run counterintuitive to the supposed rules set forth by the consumers. Judging from what you said, he's clearly someone who was touched by _ _ _ and not by the puritanical notion of _ _ _ and the fear or hope of some state of the afterlife.

Dr Alex

Nyodene D ‎– Atop Masada tape
En Nihil / Gnawed ‎– Fall Of Humanity tape
Brandkommando ‎– Changes tape
Graustich ‎– Dedicated To Those Who Are Still Willing To Get Their Hands Dirty tape

Yes, Caul have some christian themes in titles and artworks. I'm not fan of any religious themes but I don't care if music is good. Caul music is great!

Scat-O-Logy

After listening "Quicksilver Logic", an amazing detailed short attack from Tommi Keränen, I felt the need to dig deeper into his solo works. I decided to go the easy way and grab the most accessible release, which in this case happened to be "Bats In The Attic". At first I was quite surprised how similar the sounds were with his "most recent" recordings but then I realized that "Quicksilver Logic" and "Bats In The Attic" were both recorded at the legendary Elektronmusikstudion in Stockholm and the source sounds are probably taken from the same sessions. For me "Bats In The Attic" is indeed very good electronics based harsh noise, Keränen handles his gear very professionally, but the track structure doesn't make it such a masterpiece as "Quicksilver Logic". I know I shouldn't compare 3min track to 35 one but it feels very natural reference since I have yet to hear other solo recordings from Keränen. Also, even though I can't say I know all about mastering, to me Jaakko Viitalähde did very good job and soundwise I have no complaints at all. In conclusion, this release definitely comes recommended if you are looking for interesting harsh noise with superb sound quality but in my books it doesn't reach the same level of awesomeness as, let's say, Here Be Lions by Jaakko Vanhala (which is playing on the background at the moment).

FreakAnimalFinland

SAASTAA SUOMESTA compilation 7"
It delivers what expected. Harsh noisecore assaults from several Finnish bands. Aunt Mary was expectedly good, Unpeace was GREAT surprise being so good after pretty clumsy live set. Funeral Mongoloids perhaps let down after utmost killing material on Suomi Finland Noise Core, now quite average. These all are good examples how noisecore, theoretically always garbage, can transform into powerful garbage with good ripping sound and perhaps little tightness, but can remain very untight, phlegmatic rubbish... Which couple bands on the comp certainly are.

SELF / FIRE IN THE HEAD split 10"
Listened this several times. I was never huge fan of these. SELF being Slogun side project what takes more atmospheric and instrumental approach. LP was good, but not phenomenal. FITH has been pretty solid work from beginning, but just slightly out of my range of interest. This 10" manages to contain possibly the best of SELF material, having more noisy and rugged elements in well composed atmospheric sound layering. FITH with one side of 10" manages to keep my attention all the time, even multiple spins. There's nothing revolutionary different compared to some his other things, but simply length and format is advantage this time!

Sniper / Nordic Wrath split CD. Latest from the Finnish wp rock legends who've been churning their offenses for c. 20 years by now, non-stop.. It's unfortunate that modern recording technic is very much disadvantage for brute force underground rock & metal. When production values match basically the radio standard, it takes away half of the power. There's some good riffs / melody from Sniper, perhaps more reminding of their early/mid period, but I'd hope they someday again would return to write more in Finnish (few lines in this CD). Nordic Wrath kind of "contemporary german RAC" which hardly competes with highlights of the 90's. OK for car ride background. I see recently re-issued Macht & Ehre demo materials on double LP's, that's more of German sound that's needed, hah...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 13, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
SELF / FIRE IN THE HEAD split 10"
Listened this several times. I was never huge fan of these. SELF being Slogun side project what takes more atmospheric and instrumental approach. LP was good, but not phenomenal. FITH has been pretty solid work from beginning, but just slightly out of my range of interest. This 10" manages to contain possibly the best of SELF material, having more noisy and rugged elements in well composed atmospheric sound layering. FITH with one side of 10" manages to keep my attention all the time, even multiple spins. There's nothing revolutionary different compared to some his other things, but simply length and format is advantage this time!

Fire In The Head? I guess it's Sky Burial.
Self track from this split 10" is great for me.

FreakAnimalFinland

ehm... yes! SKYBURIAL ! Same guy, and the sound is not THAT far.. same words basically apply... Recommended 10" anyways!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

martialgodmask

Quote from: Dr Alex on July 12, 2013, 09:56:54 PM
Quote from: Dr Alex on July 12, 2013, 02:31:24 PM
Graustich ‎– Dedicated To Those Who Are Still Willing To Get Their Hands Dirty tape

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Got it on now, agreed.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: martialgodmask on July 13, 2013, 02:42:44 PM
Quote from: Dr Alex on July 12, 2013, 09:56:54 PM
Quote from: Dr Alex on July 12, 2013, 02:31:24 PM

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Got it on now, agreed.

After seeing this released I went back and listened to his 3" on Kafkex and that was all I needed to hear.