PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanWreck

Quote from: moozz on August 08, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Nice to see someone else appreciating this as much as I do. Truly a great death/grind release. The follow-up The Art Of Death was also very good. Any idea if the new album (released a couple of years ago) is worth checking out?

I wasn't too into the latest album of theirs. But yea they should get more recognition, in my opinion.

martialgodmask

Quote from: martialgodmask on July 23, 2013, 11:52:17 PM
Graustich - Untitled - throbbing frequencies really getting into my head on this one, really enjoyed it. Quite minimal sounding but effective for it.

Got this on again now, better sound system this time, really fucking good, benefits from more speaker wallop.

eyestrain

Dan Johansson & Lasse Marhaug Distorted Orgasm (iDeal Recordings): Fuck me. 30 minutes of pure harsh bludgeoning. Just what you'd expect from such a pairing.

Corrupted Paso Inferior (Insolito): A prime example of improving upon what was already nearly perfect. That good 'ol feedback meditation-doom Corrupted is so good at on the A-side. And that good 'ol downer drone they excelled at with Llenandose De Gusanos on the B.

antoniosevilha

Quote from: Tommy Carlsson on December 18, 2009, 12:22:01 PM
Quote from: Strömkarlen on December 18, 2009, 10:22:20 AM
Quote from: Tommy Carlsson on December 17, 2009, 10:21:26 PM
Last night:

V/A -- Neue Deutsche Post Avantgarde LP (Audi Plex, 1988)

Wasn't that supposed to have been released by the Brasilian branch of the Goethe Institute?
I think it is. The booklet says

NEUE DEUTSCHE POST AVANTGARDE
UMA AMOSTRAGEM DA MÚSICA ALEMÂ PÓS-MODERNA

Edição dos Institutos Goethe no Brasil

Produção: Dr Elmar Brandt e Asmus Tietchens para o Instituto Goethe São Paulo

In Brazil this lp costs the equivalent of $ 17 : http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-497167565-lp-varios-neue-deutsche-post-avantgarde-com-encarte-_JM

pentd

i dont recall when was the last time i listened to so little music. i have a monster pile of records waiting to go through. silence has been welcome, and i been experimenting with modular synthesis  and tape manipulations, if and when theres sound... but from the last batches i can recommend:

armon kuilu -mcd
disorder of deadeight -depthsounder cd
(both very RIO/henry cow etc flavored sinister prog)

thomas dimuzio - sonicism cd
steve lacy - mirrors cd

and lots of clifton chenier, nathan abshire, balfa bros and other zydeco/accordion rippers on the road headphones...  gotta love the piercing sound of an accordion!!!

adding: that ashley c "drift" cd is mega intense, crumbling decay sounds!!

FreakAnimalFinland

After weeks of non-stop noise blasting, there was row of gigs and other out-of-town visits.. upon return only new noise would be SK1005 LP. Basically Ke/Hil line-up in 1992 playing songs of Genocide Organ and Anenzephalia. Soundquality is not very strong, but neither rubbish. Songs are good and noisy industrial with some very very memorable classic tunes. Ltd 250 copies edition appears to be just fine, unless you'd call this either GO or Anenzephalia. In such case we'd probably already now look triple value in discogs listings!

Saccara "Der Letzte Mann" LP
Early album of german RAC with vocalist Gigi later famous for Stahlgewitter etc. Sloppy, clumsy, simple and with that great roaring voice he is known to have. Title track is such a monstrous melodic slow paced punk-rock tune, what the real punk bands can never do.

Rahowa "declaration of war" LP
I guess album that sold (according to rumours) something like 40000 copies deserved vinyl edition! Well done with lyric sheets etc. I would guess this was new era for wp music, where simple boneheaded rock was abandoned and some bands already had take direction to hatecore etc, but Rahowa would put together metal, even "goth", epic ballads etc. Victory day remains bloodthirsty and brilliant still today!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RyanWreck

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 14, 2013, 07:29:44 PM

Saccara "Der Letzte Mann" LP
Early album of german RAC with vocalist Gigi later famous for Stahlgewitter etc. Sloppy, clumsy, simple and with that great roaring voice he is known to have. Title track is such a monstrous melodic slow paced punk-rock tune, what the real punk bands can never do.

Oh wow, I totally forgot about this band. Never thought I'd see them on here. That sad lead at the beginning of the title track is pretty awesome. The Guitars kind of remind me of a far better, non-Metal version of some old Eisenwinter stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5_oFJMckg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmzPiDYY7AE

andy vomit

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 14, 2013, 07:29:44 PM

Rahowa "declaration of war" LP
I guess album that sold (according to rumours) something like 40000 copies deserved vinyl edition! Well done with lyric sheets etc. I would guess this was new era for wp music, where simple boneheaded rock was abandoned and some bands already had take direction to hatecore etc, but Rahowa would put together metal, even "goth", epic ballads etc. Victory day remains bloodthirsty and brilliant still today!

40000 copies?  any way to back up this rumor?  (i believe that that's the rumor, i'm just curious to read more about it)
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Scat-O-Logy

Enjoying early hours with new Kazuma Kubota album, "Dis-connected", which I received from this amazing Swedish distro called "Tordon Ljud". The album is something really exciting and fresh, including some extremely fierce cut-up moments mixed with most beautiful ambiences and some more straight forward harsh noise pieces with very unique sound. The overall sound isn't very physical but I still absolutely love every minute of its over one hour long playtime. This is an album to be played LOUD!!!

eyestrain

Continuing investigations into Wince, Developer and Being...more on the first two later...

Also just received an order from TORDON LJUD (great distro), which included this tape...

Being Mature Fantasy (Brise-Cul): One of the more enjoyable pieces I've heard by the project. A lot of lava boiling atop a pure harsh noise tone, but the lava wins out. B-Side ventures into more traditional sounds, but remains insanely enjoyable as this project always is. Must also mention that the intro to the A-Side, which features a lot of silence wrapped around the initial bubbling, shines light on a recording void of humming, tape noise, etc... top-notch quality!

Being Battery Cages III (Skeleton Dust): And by far my favorite work thus far. A-Side is a mass of serene feedback hum completely engulfed in a wiry/thin-but-excellent tone that occasionally leads way into that ol' harsh noise territory. B-Side is totally bass-ridden, yet also gets engulfed quite often by a cacophony of echo-rich feedback. Just sits in the gut like a nice gulp or two of booze. Yum. And love the packaging; insert is a photo of a hyena fighting over a cadaver with many, many vultures. A great photo in and of itself, but obviously in relation to the two track titles - "No Honour" and "Among Thieves". Perfect!

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: andy vomit on August 14, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
40000 copies?  any way to back up this rumor?  (i believe that that's the rumor, i'm just curious to read more about it)

Album came out in 1993 when stuff was still selling well. Even bands like Kraftschlag sold like 10000 copies. I was reading interview of Faustrecht while ago where they mentioned first album sold 16000 copies (was done 1997) and most likely sold more after that. And something like Stahlgewitter was said to sell 10000 copies. And while pretty much nobody knows or has heard the german bands, just about everybody knows Rahowa.

Anyways, when I mentioned not having much noise on playlist, actually, SMALL CRUEL PARTY 3xCD ! Previous night listened 3rd disc twice and there is some seriously amazing sound textures and delicate yet noisy songs there..

FreakAnimalFinland

GREY WOLVES "Tokyo Suicide Service" LP
damn! I don't know if this rules simply because I was told it was little sucky. Of course, it's a live album, so the songs like "Victory Through Violence", "Religion", "This is not your Country", "Beyond Hypocrisy" and so on belongs to hit parade of GW what we know before. Sound is lo-fi, yet still clear enough. I can't be much critical when something like "Beyond Hypocrisy" (originally 2nd track of Catholic Priests...LP) hits in and despite more rugged sound than album, offers more violence and louder vocals etc. Great!!! It is among my favorite PE tracks for reason or another.
If sound, songs and cover physical printing quality & materials is ok, it's unfortunate that design suffers from severe technical flaws.. How hard it would be to avoid totally pixelated images or improve them in some ways? But most definitely worth getting!

bitewerksMTB

Currently listening to GENOCIDE "Stench of Burning Flesh" tracks from the LP. I'm debating on whether or not to order it...

Multiple spins of Martire "Brutal Legions of the Apocalypse" LP this week. Pretty much the best death-thrash LP from last year. I love Aussie metal & Martire were definitely one of the best considering they do not sound like anyone else.

Baglady

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 15, 2013, 09:53:26 PM
Multiple spins of Martire "Brutal Legions of the Apocalypse" LP this week. Pretty much the best death-thrash LP from last year. I love Aussie metal & Martire were definitely one of the best considering they do not sound like anyone else.

I agree, definitely. Not that they're a big band by any means, but I'm still surprised how unknown they are even among people who like that primitve style. The old mini album is just as good I think. Martire, along with Vomitor ("The Escalation" is such a masterpiece), is the best death metal around nowadays I think.

eyestrain

Wince Nerves (Skeleton Dust): Good God, Wince continues to warp my skull. Lots of dank, rich textures that lead into straight blasts on other tracks. Some sounds had a Japanoise vibe to them. A higher concentration of white noises than I receall on other tapes. Still has that fantastic 'merican sound that I just love so much though.

Wince Self-Immolation Rights (Gaping Hole): The last of my dig into Brummel's works as Wince. Also just about the very beginning of his public output. On the inimitable http://gapinghole.snse.net/, no less. To hear the sounds extruded here, as was the case with the Baculum, Being and Wince split/collaboration, you really get a feel for just a how strongly and quickly the project grew. What I hear here, though, are the essentials of harsh noise roar and little else. An enjoyable listen, but after having delved into his works that came over the next 4ish years, this will probably receive the least playbacks.

Developer WCN008 (White Centipede Noise): And the last of my dig into Reis' works as Developer. Begins with hard-panning static - this really messed with my head as the stereo is set up with four massive speakers from the 70's, volume cranked - before things quickly fall into the place you might expect. Really, when it comes to harsh noise, how much does innovation even matter? On this tape I'm hearing exactly what it is that I would like to hear. The cut-ups are reduced, although certainly still present and much lower than usual, and I get that booze gut feeling just like Being was doing for me last night. So grateful for SI#9 rekindling a dying interest in harsh noise.

Bernard Parmegiani De Natura Sonorum (Recollection GRM): Aside from the knowledge that GRM was(/is?) a studio at all, I know nothing of it or the artists put out by Recollection GRM or the intricacies and history of musique concrète. And I'll gladly keep it that way. Just as noise (or any music mostly) is ruined for me by too much personal info and/or academic (is this possible in noise? even though it is attempted occasionally?) info, I don't think I'll benefit from the knowledge of what some head-up-my-ass-musician-artist has to say or who he didn't love or who he did. It's a fine line, just as some interviews with noise/metal artsists seem like X minutes of wasted time, yet there's still a strong interest to read them and infrequent illumination. I guess underground music has less potential for ruin in that case since no five-to-six-figure historian or critic is going to write about them.

So anyway, I approached this album and the following three albums from R GRM with a virgin mind. I've heard some of the other releases of the label, like Pierre Schaeffer's last work, Luc Ferrari and François Bayle and felt little to no reaction to their works. Maybe it's the academics that matter most. Parmegiani, on the other hand, crafted a slew of sounds and atmospheres on this album that I found far more appealing, and at times reminded me of many of the underground noise works that hold my brain in captivity, only with an extreme reduction to the chaos usually present. The tracks feature, to my recollection, no absurd samples or sounds that are just so truly removed from the meditative state caused by the album that you are abruptly removed from your coma and forced to reach for STOP. No, I found this to be an album that will not quickly travel to Discogs to make room for something better. It will hold it's place in time I think. If I recall correctly, this work was composed in the middle years of what was collected in...

Bernard Parmegiani L'Œil Écoute / Dedans-Dehors (Recollection GRM): ...and this does not, for me, seem to hold as strong of a compositional element or a "this is awesome"-pea-brain-element like De Natura Sonorum did. There's more brood, but less aplomb. The builds are slow, while De Natura Sonorum was able to remain stable in a comfortable place of discomforting randomness, the sounds of this are obviously trying to go somewhere, trying to reach for something. This would appeal more to the drone fanatic or the ambient fanatic, but I've got too much caffeine racing through my veins to find as much value and worth in this second album. BUT, I shouldn't make it seem as if I were disappointed by Parmegiani's output at all. Far from it; I think this too will hold it's place, but maybe the time isn't right. "Dedan-Dehors" has some moments that almost remind me of the last year or two's releases by The Rita, if you kinda peel your brain of certain layers.

V/A Traces One (Recollection GRM): Even though we're looking at five different artists, this could have easily been a more hi-fi release of Mz.412 or Anenzephalia (sans vocals) or something to that effect. Way, way more intense, provocative and consuming than I was expecting. I think many people on here who indulge in the sounds of Cold Meat Industry, Cold Spring or Malignant would find a lot of rewards in this LP. Thick, oppressive and bizarre.

V/A Traces Two (Recollection GRM): This LP featured a little more of that tweety-bird absurdity that I seem to find concrète being indicative of. There were a handful of moments that really grabbed me, but this pales, largely, in comparison to volume one. Album ends with Smalley making what sounds like the presence of synthetic bagpipes. Blah...

Okkyung Lee Ghil (Ideologic Organ): The album description immediately brought to mind the improvisations of Troy Schafer, so I was convinced I needed to pick this up. Boy am I happy I did. Harsh cello improv? Unlike Schafer though, who still lets the reality of "this is a violin!" hang in the air, I would say that Lee is able to make the instrument itself disappear and allow some sort of celestial-alien atmosphere dissolve into the room. Somehow the 45 minute playing time is not cumbersome at all. Of course, you must cleanse your palate of distractions and anxiety. This is like Will Over Matter becoming even MORE primitive. Yes. I will be diving more into her works in the future for sure.

Duane Pitre Bridges (Important): Every new release is an immense growth from the previous work. Been following Pitre's output since the very beginning after seeing him perform with the Pilotram Ensemble during a random roadtrip through New England. Feel Free was easily his most complex (but simple) and rewarding work yet. Like a time capsule that removes me from my home, life, worries and all. I assumed Bridges would not live up as I had grown so deeply attached to the last album. While there's obviously not that needy feeling for this one, at least yet, it certainly pulled me by the third eye immediately upon pressing play. If you know any of Pitre's works, you should know to expect deep listening drone of the highest calibre. I find his sounds to only be topped by Eliane Radigue, though not always, but otherwise my plebeian opinion is that Pitre is capable of exceeding the works of Palestine, Oliveros, Fullman or even Riley in terms of profound impact. A really, really underrated artist. I suppose if he started espousing feminism or eastern mysticism his listernership would grow tenfold. Regardless, there's a strong influence of both eastern and western sounds I would say, and I do believe he had stated this himself. Always crazy to think this dude was sponsored by Alien Workshop at one point - kudos!

Magnolia Electric Co. Fading Trails (Secretly Canadian): As always, far more crushingly depressive, despondent (and occasionally uplifting) than any wanking misanthropic, satanic, anti-life blah blah blah dark-ambient or the like. Jason Molina may have been the most miserable folk musician I ever heard, yet was somehow one of the gentlest people I ever met. RIP. This is my favorite work of Magnolia; probably because it basically sounds like Molina's solo work (which were his greatest accomplisments to me) with some Magnolia tracks thrown in. Tracks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQw9-Sug8kg "The Old Horizon" are obviously very close to Molina's "Red Comet Dust" or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wplc3f11rA "Steady Now" is just so much despondently akin to his http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCQqAPTSGc "It's Easier Now". "Everything in it's place. The world does have to end in pain."

And still regularly replaying Tourette's Cendrier De Voyage, Anemone Tube's The Transfiguration Of The Image, Bloomer's Unlawful Carnality and Altar Of Flies's The Violent Blow, Rabbit Hole and Female. There's too much lately. Too much. Next up is the Aska collaboration by Sewer Election and Frederikke Hoffmeier, whose Den Blege Grå Tone is still getting many plays as well.