PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on August 18, 2013, 10:07:38 PM
Since the deluxe vinyl reissue of Black One is just around the corner, I have been spinning a lot of Sunn O))) records. Last night listened to Dømkirke and today warmed my ears up with White1 before going to my all time favorite, Altar, which is a collaboration between Sunn O))) and Boris. Dømkirke and Altar are among my favorite records of all time but White1 have been left for lesser attention, mostly because I haven't been able to buy the vinyl version yet. I was seriously turned off by the drum machine on The Gates Of Ballard but other than that it was quite good. Not amongst my favorites but still very good and entertaining album. The closer of White1, A Shaving Of The Horn That Speared You, is seriously amazing track, really enjoyed that one. Should spin Monoliths & Dimensions soon. That one is also amongst my all time favorites, hah. Sunn O))) simply is awesome!

Now spinning: Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull

I always thought Earth wasn't nothing too important but their discography from 2005 onwards is really interesting and please, don't get me wrong, Earth 2 & Phase 3 are definite classics and really powerful albums but not just for me. Just like the back discography of Sunn O))), it doesn't really do much for me. It's nice to blast them from huge speakers but they aren't something I would play that frequently.

I don't listen to Sunn O))) as frequently these days but I still thoroughly enjoy them when I do. They are reliable, when I want to hear a very certain thing.

Earth are very good too, though my interest waned the more "desert"-y they got.

GEWALTMONOPOL

In the dying days of summer with the excellent weather still intact I enjoy ULVER - Shadows of the Sun. Still their best album in my opinion. Lazy days...
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

tiny_tove

Quote from: MT on August 18, 2013, 12:09:11 AM
Sick Seed - Helsingin synagogat 7"

definitely a classic

listening a lot the new BU box and mitochondrion discography
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ConcreteMascara

Amber Asylum - Still Point CD
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis 2xLP

lots of Neurosis in anticipation of their show in Providence next weekend.

Also:
Pestdemon ‎– Helvetesljuset LP & Hidden Temple Cassette - started reading more Gene Wolfe, and this is a fitting soundtrack, especially since the original suggestion came from Mr. Arkhe...

LR - Exile LP
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: martialgodmask on August 19, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
I don't listen to Sunn O))) as frequently these days but I still thoroughly enjoy them when I do. They are reliable, when I want to hear a very certain thing.

I was kinda disappointed by "Rehearsal Demo Nov 11 2011" which sounded pretty much like their older stuff. After albums such as "Altar" and "Monoliths" I was expecting something more even though it was just a rehearsal demo.

Quote from: martialgodmask on August 19, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
Earth are very good too, though my interest waned the more "desert"-y they got.

Yeah, I must admit being a little turned-off by the "western feel" in their sound but composition-wise I can't but worship the band even though they started to pretty much repeat themselves on their "Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light" series. There are some really nice atmospheres and cool vibes in their sound that I find very fascinating. Don't own any of their records yet but have been thinking about ordering a few when my financial situation allows.

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on August 19, 2013, 09:18:01 PM
In the dying days of summer with the excellent weather still intact I enjoy ULVER - Shadows of the Sun. Still their best album in my opinion. Lazy days...

Always loved that album but for me it always felt like the sound wasn't right. Their latest effort, "Messe I​.​X​-​VI​.​X", on the other hand has very good sound quality but lacks composition wise. The opener is kinda nice 12min pure classical piece and I absolutely loved "Glamour Box" but other than that it was quite dull album. Maybe it needs a few more spins, can't tell... How about you guys, what did you think about the new Ulver album? Would really appreciate some comments because I don't know if it's just me and my high expectations or does the album really suck?

Now playing: SUNN O))) meets NURSE WITH WOUND - The Iron Soul Of Nothing

This album never really opened to me because when I listen to Sunn O))), I want something loud and heavy with the touch of something beautiful, yet haunting. This album is leaning more towards ambient soundscapes and not just that but to boring ambient soundscapes. Sunn O))) and NWW are both UNIQUE bands yet this sounds like it could be made by any kid with his MIDI keyboard. I haven't purchased the album yet but I have decided to give it one last chance and finally order it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more on wax.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on August 20, 2013, 12:56:36 AM
Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on August 19, 2013, 09:18:01 PM

Always loved that album but for me it always felt like the sound wasn't right. Their latest effort, "Messe I​.​X​-​VI​.​X", on the other hand has very good sound quality but lacks composition wise. The opener is kinda nice 12min pure classical piece and I absolutely loved "Glamour Box" but other than that it was quite dull album. Maybe it needs a few more spins, can't tell... How about you guys, what did you think about the new Ulver album? Would really appreciate some comments because I don't know if it's just me and my high expectations or does the album really suck?

Now playing: SUNN O))) meets NURSE WITH WOUND - The Iron Soul Of Nothing

This album never really opened to me because when I listen to Sunn O))), I want something loud and heavy with the touch of something beautiful, yet haunting. This album is leaning more towards ambient soundscapes and not just that but to boring ambient soundscapes. Sunn O))) and NWW are both UNIQUE bands yet this sounds like it could be made by any kid with his MIDI keyboard. I haven't purchased the album yet but I have decided to give it one last chance and finally order it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more on wax.

Last I Heard from Ulver was Wars of the Roses which I also really liked. Will catch up on the rest soon.

I thought SUNN were excellent until they decided to go jazz art bollocks. It ends somewhere after Black One for me. Them and NWW...I can only imagine what an art wanque excursion that would be. Pass!

andy vomit

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on August 20, 2013, 12:58:10 PM
I thought SUNN were excellent until they decided to go jazz art bollocks. It ends somewhere after Black One for me.

ditto.  "black one" is a masterpiece; to me, it's THE sunn 0))) album-- the albums before it were just them "warming up", so to speak..  they peaked with "black one".  it's all been relatively uninteresting/rehashed crap ever since.   
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

GEWALTMONOPOL

I wish they'd persued Black One further into the abyss but they wanted art, horn sections and other boring crap. I can respect the decision but I've left the vessel.

ULVER - Wars of the Roses

Better than last time I listened. Much better. Actually very good. Possibly excellent. It only lets itself down on the last track with a very wooden narrative by their most recent member. The guy from the impressively boring Guapo. His name escapes me. They should have picked David Attenborough or someone with a bit more fire in his voice for the narration. Brian Blessed perhaps.

dmkerr

Listened to part of the Incapacitants "Box Is Stupid" set this morning, but now I feel the need to go home and listen to "Black One" tonight.

bitewerksMTB

THE FOG soundtrack is awesome! Has some really great synth sounds going on.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on August 20, 2013, 04:27:10 PM
I wish they'd persued Black One further into the abyss but they wanted art, horn sections and other boring crap. I can respect the decision but I've left the vessel.

"Black One" is another one that I have pretty much ignored due to not being able to find it on wax for a reasonable price. Now listening it from Sunn O))) bandcamp and I can tell straight away I'm in for something massive. I'm so happy that Southern Lord has started to reissue these Sunn O))) classics, first "ØØVOID" and now this. Can't wait to grab it!

I can see your point about the "artier side" of Sunn O))). It's definitely not for everyone, especially not for those who has followed Sunn O))) from the beginning and has a certain idea about what they should sound like. I guess I like the "artier side" so much because when I started to listen Sunn O))), I had really hard time enjoying the simple guitar drones so I decided to start with more varied albums such as "Monoliths & Dimensions". Then I heard the Boris collab and thought it was absolute shit but little by little I started to like it and soon loved it. "Altar" is quite important album to me personally because it changed my way of understanding the music. I'm not that close minded anymore when it comes to music and I guess it's, at least to some extent, because of "Altar", even how weird it might sound.

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on August 20, 2013, 04:27:10 PM
ULVER - Wars of the Roses

Better than last time I listened. Much better. Actually very good. Possibly excellent. It only lets itself down on the last track with a very wooden narrative by their most recent member. The guy from the impressively boring Guapo. His name escapes me. They should have picked David Attenborough or someone with a bit more fire in his voice for the narration. Brian Blessed perhaps.

This is indeed quite good album. I really like "September IV", epic shit! By the way, I re-listened "Messe I.X-VI.X" and it sounded pretty good actually. "Shri Schneider" is still a mess it was on the first time and I'm still disgusted by the lyrics on "Son Of Man" but other than that it's quite good. About "Son Of Man", who the fuck starts a track singing "Forgive me father for I have sinned". For fuck's sake!!!

eyestrain

Burial Hex/Crown Of Bone Split (Crucial Blast): Clay ain't standing out with his best work here, but its exemplary as a mashup of his old tortuous cthono-tronics and his more recent synth-heavy (sans beat) work. Dolorous cries writhe amidst the almost-metal vocals he's been utilizing for the last few years. A melancholy drone lulls amidst the background and that's about what you get for a near thirty minutes. If Ruby's words were decipherable in any way whatsoever, or if they were included in the release, I'd probably find a far greater interest. It's all too abstracted this way. Darkness for darkness' sake isn't much to write home about. Crown Of Bone is just what you'd expect from the Crucial Blast oeuvre and from a project that does tribute albums to horror flicks and has splits with groups like Steek Hook Prostheses, Wilt, Blue Sabbath Black Cheer, Funerary Call, etc and was also one-half of Demonologists. Looking at the project's website, it appears they've got 30 releases out and/or pending in less than 2 years. This says it all about what the sounds contained herein might be like....creepy noise then BOOM - noise wall. The end.

In regard to SunnO))), I always got the biggest boner over White2, but that might be because the first time I heard it was the first time I went to the beach; sat on the shore with headphones and tripped on mushrooms while listening to the album. Still resonates in a similar way, most times. Saw them perform during the Black One era and that was tits, but when the album came home, I might have played it twice. Ebay'd it for the Jewish price people are willing to pay and bought about 15 more worthwhile releases.

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on August 20, 2013, 09:22:43 PM
About "Son Of Man", who the fuck starts a track singing "Forgive me father for I have sinned". For fuck's sake!!!

Perhaps this is because they're currently wanking off as faux-classical. That is essentially the sort of lyrics, just in English instead of Latin or the like, you get with Pärt, Penderecki, etc... Seems a little shallow seeing as I noticed the name of St. John Of The Cross mentioned in their write-up on the album. A man of great wisdom like that would certainly denounce wanking of this sort. Wankers. They sorta fit together in the world of art like O'Malley was mentioned. That is, someone from the metal community shows an interest in something besides metal and people are scrambling over one another to praise and pay them. When I think of Nazoranai playing some huge festival or KTL performing in all these galleries and museums I just have to scratch my head. All these people who feign interest - seems exhausting. I must admit, I think O'Malley's greatest work is the Ideologic Organ label; aside from the SunnO))) albums released on it.

On a lighter note, also replayed Sewer Election's Vittra Sönder several times today. Love the last few releases by Johansson.

Scat-O-Logy

Finally got a copy of Dead Beauty/Dancefloor Wreck which I always considered as one of my favorite PE EPs and now, when I finally got the chance to play it on my turntable, I seriously got a hard on. So fucking powerful that it made my cock tingle and the lyrics made me giggle. Fuck yeah!

FreakAnimalFinland

Back in those days, I visited the site where it happened and soiled it with urine... considered taking some photos of this piece of "performance arts", but then thought perhaps it better stay personal tribute rather than exploitative public piece.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 21, 2013, 07:26:23 PM
Back in those days, I visited the site where it happened and soiled it with urine... considered taking some photos of this piece of "performance arts", but then thought perhaps it better stay personal tribute rather than exploitative public piece.

Hah, great! N. Penttinen, who sold me this 7", told me he thought about visiting the other cunt and getting her autograph (apparently she lives not too far from him) but unfortunately he didn't. Would be a real nice little addition to this already amazing package. I guess the fact that even a friend of mine who don't really care for noise/PE, decided to keep his copy of this EP, tells a lot about the strength of this material. Really happy to finally have it in my collection!

Now playing Kuristusote, a CS that I had really hard time tracking down but thanks to N. Penttinen and Vomitgore, who generously passed the tape for me instead of grabbing it himself, I finally have it. To my surprise, this CS consists of pretty much all the same material as the 15yrs of BU box set, just different takes and maybe a little bit more grainy quality. Very good nevertheless and a nice little addition to my BU collection.