PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias

V/A STEIN 2xLP + 7" (Verlautbarung)
Lots to digest here... As usual, you don't like it all, but there are very few tracks I don't like at all here. Especially fond of the C-side which consists of Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar, Mnem (never really bothered to check them out before but this is GREAT!) and Jeph Jerman, perhaps the three strongest tracks. Very good material from Irgun Z'wai Leumi, Vårtgård (!), Amph etc. Makes me happy to see labels put this much care into the packaging and overall presentation as well (how often do you see a poly lined inner sleeve today? should be standard practice). Impressive compilation.

Stridulum

Quote from: SILVUM on January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
Sagatrakavashen - Sexual Lust 7"

This is a hoax right?  [...]  It's not a critique, I think it's great, just wondering if it's fake.

No, it's all true. They were a real band, and they were around at the end of the 80's in the North of Italy.
I was speaking with one of the guys from Monumentum a few months ago, and he remembers this Sagatrakavashen demo being reviewed in the leading Italian heavy metal magazine of the time (aptly named HM) in the same issue in in which the review of Musaeum Hermeticum also appeared.
Recently, one of Italy's longest running HC/Punk/Metal printed 'zines (Nessuno Schema), that hails from the same area as Sagatrakavashen, did a long review of this 7", throwing in some additional infos about the band. It can be found on the web, but it's all in Italian, I'm afraid.

Stridulum

Quote from: SILVUM on January 03, 2014, 12:50:37 PM

What other kind of bizarre and awesome bands in Italy existed around that time?  I know that's a broad question, but I am always ready to learn more.  Were these guys a total oddity or were there other similarly outlandish for the time projects on a local scale?

This is a very difficult question. In Italy, especially at that time, even music magazines weren't so widely distributed, so if you didn't live in one of the big cities and didn't have the means to "connect" to what was going on in the rest of the country (maybe simply because you didn't know anyone else that was into what you liked), you were pretty much isolated from everything. This didn't stop people from being creative, though, and with maybe just a few bits of inspiration (the odd Kiss photo in a national newspaper, some news report on satanism, you name it) people who maybe lived in more secluded or less urban areas, like the guys from Sagatrakavashen, came out with their odd and/or highly personal version of the music they liked. Not always with the best of results, obviously.

That's to say that even if you live in Italy, coming across this kind of odd bands is sheer luck, as they were not distributed or even known outside their close friends' circles. Sagatrakavashen managed to score a review in a "big" magazine, but knowing how snobbish was the average Italian metal journo at the time, I bet they just got wrote off as a bunch of idiots and sold maybe 5 copies of that demo...

Anyway, I can't name other weird projects off the top of my head right now... but maybe Marco (tiny_tove), who is way more knowledgeable than me, will chime in. Only The Great Complotto from late seventies Pordenone comes to mind, but if you're familiar with XX Century Zorro I bet you already know about it.

martialgodmask

Maurizio Bianchi - Computers S.P.A. / Com.SA

Soundtrack to a new year's day drive to and from work on Weds, just the ticket! Had it on a few times since, good stuff.

eyestrain

Quote from: Matthias on January 03, 2014, 10:19:22 AM
V/A STEIN 2xLP + 7" (Verlautbarung)
Lots to digest here... As usual, you don't like it all, but there are very few tracks I don't like at all here. Especially fond of the C-side which consists of Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar, Mnem (never really bothered to check them out before but this is GREAT!) and Jeph Jerman, perhaps the three strongest tracks. Very good material from Irgun Z'wai Leumi, Vårtgård (!), Amph etc. Makes me happy to see labels put this much care into the packaging and overall presentation as well (how often do you see a poly lined inner sleeve today? should be standard practice). Impressive compilation.

I am so giddy to hear this!

m.

Quote from: SILVUM on January 03, 2014, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: Stridulum on January 03, 2014, 12:36:01 PM

This is a hoax right?  [...]  It's not a critique, I think it's great, just wondering if it's fake.

No, it's all true. They were a real band, and they were around at the end of the 80's in the North of Italy.
I was speaking with one of the guys from Monumentum a few months ago, and he remembers this Sagatrakavashen demo being reviewed in the leading Italian heavy metal magazine of the time (aptly named HM) in the same issue in in which the review of Musaeum Hermeticum also appeared.
Recently, one of Italy's longest running HC/Punk/Metal printed 'zines (Nessuno Schema), that hails from the same area as Sagatrakavashen, did a long review of this 7", throwing in some additional infos about the band. It can be found on the web, but it's all in Italian, I'm afraid.

That is amazing!  I am glad a band this weird is real... Italy is the ultimate, Death Industrial / Disco / the best Progressive rock scene in the 70s / best film music / best label: Cramps.  I have all the early Monumentum material, was listening to In Absentia Christi again last week.   

There was a band called Krajobraz that I think was from Italy, different kind of weird, and I think they are more late 90s.  I remember it being disjointed with screaming vocals...

What other kind of bizarre and awesome bands in Italy existed around that time?  I know that's a broad question, but I am always ready to learn more.  Were these guys a total oddity or were there other similarly outlandish for the time projects on a local scale?

check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ9-ggC-A30

Jaakko V.

Kassel Jaeger – Deltas (Editions Mego, 2012)
Outstanding, cold and glacial sounding electroacoustics/experimental. Hissing, droning, resonating and crackling. As opposed to the more organic sounding tape techniques in favour on this forum, this sounds rather digital and artificial, and it works perfectly. Lysergic atmospheres.

eyestrain

The last month or so has been the most purchase-heavy point of my life. Time to settle in and enjoy for a few months:

Evapori Transkript 17/Transkript 18 (Entr'acte)
Matt Elliott Only Myocardial Infarction Can Break Your Heart (Ici D'ailleurs)***
16 Bitch Pile-Up/Vertonen Split (What We Do Is Secret)
Francisco López Nowhere Short Pieces 1983 To 2003 (Blossoming Noise)
Pitreleh (Important)
Duane Pitre Bridges (Important)
Duane Pitre Feel Free: Live At Cafe OTO (Important)
Developer ST003 (Spirit Throne Tapes)
Niedowierzanie Attendre (TUT/RUR)
Jason Zeh A Series Of Objects (Banned Prod.)
Vertonen Bloodshifts (Banned Prod.)
Jeph Jerman/Leif Elggren/Ralf Wehowsky Three Aural Interpretations Of A Drawing By Eric Lanzillotta (Anomalous)
Francisco López With GX Jupitter-Larsen (Phage)
Andrew Chalk/Tom James Scott Wild Flowers (Skire)
Vertonen Capillaires Mécaniques (Fluxus Montana)
Vertonen Flooded (Readymade Tapes)
Vertonen, At Jennie Richie & irr. app. (ext.) Arpt Verjenepp Tonxtie (Readymade Tapes)
Asa Irons Knife Gift Debt (Turned Word)***
L.A. County Morgue That Maggots SHD/Eat The Dead Bullock (Mazurka Ed.)
Kostis Kilymis Arctic Saturation (Mazurka Ed.)
Clinton Green & Andrew McIntosh Stations (Mazurka Ed.)
Wrong Hole Devitalization (Presh)
Troy Schafer Solo Action For Violin (Dusty Grass Imprint)
Circulation Of Light To The Criminals Of The Dream ***
RLW Sechs Abstände (Blossoming Noise)
Perdo Omnis ***
Orquere Movements (Dokumentarisk Agenda)
Kam Hassah Private Conversation Vol. 2 (Dokumentarisk Agenda)
Francisco Meirino An Unnecessary Nothingness (Dokumentarisk Agenda)
Concern Crude Vignettes: Box-Harp & Speakers (Dokumentarisk Agenda)
Georgia Sea Island Singers Join The Band (Mississippi)
Fred McDowell (Mississippi)
Fred McDowell The Alan Lomax Recordings (Mississippi)
Skip James The Complete 1931 Session (Yazoo)
Blind Willie Johnson Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground (Mississippi/Nero's Neptune)
Vertonen Heat (Crippled Intellect Prod.)
Vertonen The Women Men Leave Their Wives For (Crippled Intellect)
Francisco López Hypogeion (Mantricum)
Francisco Meirino/Gerritt Wittmer/Paul Knowles/Kam Hassah/Alleypisser Unifying Themes (Misanthropic Agenda)
Seitz Versus Gendreau (Misanthropic Agenda)
Giuseppe Ielasi 15 More Tapes (Misanthropic Agenda)
Michael Gendreau/Francisco López Drowning/Untitled #185 (Crippled Intellect Prod.)
Giuseppe Ielasi/Andrew Pekler Holiday For Sampler (Planam)
Secret Pyramid Movements Of Night (Student Of Decay)
Mohammad Som Sakrifis (Pan) ***
Nico Desertshore (4 Men With Beards)
Enrico Malatesta Bestiario Vols. 1-3 (Second Sleep/Senufo Editions/Alku)
Enrico Malatesta Standard (Presto!?)
Francisco Meirino/Kiko C. Esseiva Focus On Nothing On Focus (Aussenraum) ***

***Late favorite of 2013

Quote from: Salamanauhat on January 05, 2014, 12:44:18 PM
Kassel Jaeger – Deltas (Editions Mego, 2012)
Outstanding, cold and glacial sounding electroacoustics/experimental. Hissing, droning, resonating and crackling. As opposed to the more organic sounding tape techniques in favour on this forum, this sounds rather digital and artificial, and it works perfectly. Lysergic atmospheres.

How does it compare to his "Fernweh" LP, if at all?

Noiseape

-LIVING DEATH: metal revolution LP
-MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA: visions of the emerald beyond LP
-CHAOS CHANNEL: magic bullet EP
-THE LAST ELECTRO-ACCOUSTIC SPACE JAZZ ENSAMBLE (Madlib): miles away 2xLP
-OBLITERATION: black death horizon LP
-SACRILEGE: its time to face the reaper demo's 84-86 2xLP
-GORGONIZED DORKS / IRON BUTTER: split EP
-GORGONIZED DORKS / DISLEKSICK: split EP
-VICKERS: satanic blasphemy EP
-RUTH WHITE: flowers of evil LP
-SHOGUN ASSASSIN: soundtrack LP
-GORGON SOUND: st 2x12"

eyestrain

Quote from: Noiseape on January 07, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
-MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA: visions of the emerald beyond LP

Class.

Levas

I'm listening to Perdo Omnis now. Very nice tape and atmosphere. I hope this "collective" will continue their actions and releases

tiny_tove

This is a hoax right?  Does anyone remember these guys existing from 89-90?  They look like KISS/Death SS/King Diamond/Sabbat, but the details are a little too perfectly imperfect.  Then the music is basically super raw casio black metal with Italian vocals and weird ambient interludes...  The logo and all the handwritten stuff are just shitty enough that they are awesome...  this just seems like a record collector / musician knew everything that makes a weird obscure awesome 7" and just faked all the history.  It seems like the result of a beer fueled discussion on what would be a cool record to find.  I'm convinced someone made this like last year.  The record is pressed at 33 and definitely sounds like the speed is increased from a more normal playing speed (point being that any change in speed from the already odd sound only makes it cartoonishly fast).  Any ideas?  I know I'm paranoid and there was so much awesome weirdo stuff in Italy back then, XX Century Zorro etc, but still.  It's not a critique, I think it's great, just wondering if it's fake.

http://www.nwnprod.com/shop/images/IMG_6127.JPG
http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-4927777-1379684956-9742.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Sagatrakavashen-Sexual-Lust/release/4927777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTec39n0qa0

damn... cult... not properly a hoax... one man band (then turned to duo) inspired by glam+ and early black from the very north (and most redneck-ridden) area of Italy : Valtellina, part of the Insubric region and house of one of Italian food classics PIZZOCCHERI.

I think there were two cult tapes about him. I met him (but we didn't talk) at local live venue... good friend of some aquaintances of mine...
didn't know about this 7"... will look for this...

xx century zorro, complete cult, Rodolfo (OEC) was part of the thing...

yes we did indeed have many weird projects that cannot be fully appreciated if you do not understand Italian language.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Hakaristi

Three very solid HN tapes from the highly recommended Tordon Ljud distro:

Drug Age - Tropismo: Having enjoyed all previous DA output obviously it was gonna be good, but man... heavily detailed & raw electronics with perhaps bit more of an emphasis on radio, objects and space than other tapes.

Being - Hunter's Fingers: Second attempt at Being after Ghosts Of Reality which didn't really click. This, however, is supreme stuff! Absolutely ferocious harsh noise. Be grabbin' up more of his tapes soon.

Kakerlak - Unsafe Vitality: Filling a minor hole in my Kakerlak collection, unsure why it took me so long...  Contains the trademark low-end wall-y "Americanoise".

eyestrain

Quote from: Sadomaniac on January 10, 2014, 10:55:07 AM
Three very solid HN tapes from the highly recommended Tordon Ljud distro:

Drug Age - Tropismo: Having enjoyed all previous DA output obviously it was gonna be good, but man... heavily detailed & raw electronics with perhaps bit more of an emphasis on radio, objects and space than other tapes.

Being - Hunter's Fingers: Second attempt at Being after Ghosts Of Reality which didn't really click. This, however, is supreme stuff! Absolutely ferocious harsh noise. Be grabbin' up more of his tapes soon.

Kakerlak - Unsafe Vitality: Filling a minor hole in my Kakerlak collection, unsure why it took me so long...  Contains the trademark low-end wall-y "Americanoise".

Am very fond of these recent works as well. Noise lives!