PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

That Volgsmord comment about artists being better as solo (Body Cargo & Pogrom, that is!), proof comes in form of:

POGROM "degencios suros" tape.
Unrest
I like when power electronics tapes appear to be composed as albums. Proper tracks, care taken on whole work, rather than throwing in some "session" there. Lots of tracks, which are clearly different from eachother. Kind of Con-Dom'ish tracks where source sounds are thematically related to track concept. Wild noise tracks. Some "innovations", like sung vocals as opposed to blunt barbaric roar. But believe me, this is raw and kind of "unfinished" feel overall, in good sense. I think the more plain noise tracks are weak link, while constructed songs are the strongest.

LYS "Klaida Ir Uzuojauta" tape
Terror
Noisy droning stuff. I like the sound, I like the simple and "usual" approach. If I listen to drone stuff, this kind of material is pretty much favorite kind. Still charming noise-esque feel, while not being noise. As opposed to drone/ambient what leans to soundtrack/new age/clean pre-set keyboard stuff.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Dr Alex

Urfaust - Einsiedler cd
Urfaust - Der Freiwillige Bettler cd
Thine - In Therapy cd
Tangerine Dream - Encore lp
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet lp
Ea - A Etilla cd
Climax Denial - All Of My Loves Are Like Dreams cd
Corrupted - Garten Der Unbewusstheit cd
Death Squad - Radium cd
Death Squad - Death Textures cd
Death Squad - VX cd
Death Squad - Fucked In The USA 3"cd
Death Squad - Stammheim - May Ninth, Nineteen Hundred Seventy Six cd
Death Squad - Hypocenter cd
The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre cd
The Devil's Blood - The Time of No Time Evermore cd
The Devil's Blood - Come, Reap cd
Wijlen Wij - Coronachs Of The Ω cd

FreakAnimalFinland

F.E. Denning "Light And Dust" tape
Posh Isolation
What I said about Vanessa Amara tape could be almost said here. Not sure who exactly is behind these projects, but I guess it could remain mystery. Overdriven keyboard/organ music, often melancholic and slow, but growing level on both intensity of overdrive and sinking into less musical simple drone. Very good tape in all is simplicity!

E.M.P. "opposed to mass societies" tape
Self financed. 2010 release I have no recollection when and how I got it. Simple and very raw noise that consists guitar feedback/noise, vocals and some sort of distorted rubbish. B-side instead of guitar, some sort of oscillation/electronic noise generator. All very thin and raw. No bass, no high fidelity on high frequencies. While I could say this is not too good, as short tape in middle of all sorts of great new masterpieces, it's refreshing visit to bedroom junk, haha..

TAPEWORKS vol I
Hästen & Korset
And talking of great new masterpieces, who wouldn't appreciate mr. Mattias Gustafsson (a.k.a. Altar Of Flies) these days? 2012 released first volume of tape works is uncredited tracks, but apparently all by himself. So basically one could even consider this as Altar Of Flies release? Lets throw apparently ugly term: Swedish tape noise! haha! It tells quite a lot. Tape manipulation, processed field recordings, tape echo, brooding synth lines (I assume!) here and there. As mundane things as Sewer Election Dan snoring in hotel room becomes great sounding. I guess at this point it would be hard to become H&K completists, but luckily I have all these Tape works releases..

Baglady

Sad to hear the Tapeworks-series stopped, with nr. VII being cancelled. Nr. VI was such a perfect little compilation.

V/A - Journey Into Pain - 4xCS (RRRecords)
Nice old old compilation with a great variety of styles and approaches. The New Blockaders and Organum opens with a strong collaboration. Junk sounds with alot of space underlined by a static electronic hiss. Nice. Merzbow, Hijokaidan, Gerogerigegege, Masonna and Incapacitants are all wild and entertaining as always. Pretty dopey Merzbow to these ears, but I'm far from an expert on that subject. Other highlights are The Haters, John Duncan and Frank Dommert. All contributions make sense except for Muslimgauze which I've never cared about or understood really. This release is still rather cheap, and even the original release from the eighties is affordable.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Baglady on March 15, 2014, 11:47:47 AM
Sad to hear the Tapeworks-series stopped, with nr. VII being cancelled. Nr. VI was such a perfect little compilation.

I was one of the flakey artists supposedly contribute, but being increasingly critical for works that had been doing, just cancelled.. But luckily not all my fault, heh..

It would be very nice to see Journey Into Pain not only on tape, but don't know how each of those old bands can be contacted for approval. Lately VOD reissued Rising From Red Sand set as 5xLP box. It was (and probably still is) also available as Statutory Tape (=RRR) tape version. If I would have to choose which I'd prefer to have such re-issue, I guess Journey Into Pain. But I'd really hope uncut reissue and probably CD box as it's 4 hours of length.

eyestrain

Renato Rinaldi - Dyed In The Grain (Senufo Editions): Fairly harmonic experimentalism. Sub-20 minute piece. Some accidental (?) dub undertones happening here. Not bad, but maybe too accessible for music like this. Doesn't capture that other-worldy essence that Senufo releases so often do.
Matthew Philip Hopkins - Nocturnes (Vittelli): Warm, mellow, dank ambience. Secrety Swedish? Has that vibe you'd find on a tape comp from those lands, sans harshness. Believe I saw it compared to the James Rushford & Joe Talia collaborations. At least in comparison to Manhunter, I'd second that. Great company on the trail at dusk
PBK/Clew Of Theseus - Short Days At The Margins Of Night (Hermitage Tapes): Pretty ideal pairing here. Dark industrial sounds. PBK puts forth material similar to others I've heard from him - which is a great thing. Clew conjures up a bleaker picture, for sure. Really love his use of metallic sounds in the beginning. Great tape!
Seth Nehil - Lair (Draft): Completely bonkers, meticulously editied tape featuring "metallic rattles and impacts, vocal whoops and grunts, and digital silence[...]jagged repetitive structures, arrhythmic punk and wild cinematic spaces. Percussive elements[...]found objects, field recordings, synthetic tones, crashes, and drum machine thuds[...]textures of hip hop, electronic, industrial and noise". Supposedly a dark companion to Knives on Senufo. Tops that release!
Vox Populi!/Vox 231 - Ébats Spirituels (Cthulu/Nostalgie De La Boue): Wonderful, charismatic, entrancing blend of world-ish music and early industrial/avant sounds. Damn good!
V/A - An Uncommon Nature (Anomalous): The decade-old predecessor to the Stein... comp released on Verlautbarung, if you ask me. Contributions from Jeph Jerman, Climax Golden Twins, and Mirror amongst others. Penetrating (if you listen closely!) sounds seemingly sourced from mostly (if not entirely) acoustic matter.
Huelgas Ensemble/ Paul van Nevel - Jacobus de Kerle: "Da Pacem Domine" Messes & Motets (Harmonia Mundi Fr.): Stunning sacral vocal music from this 16th century Flemish composer.

FreakAnimalFinland

MERZBOW "Noisembryo" CD
One of the best ones. Always good to listen to. One would hope that someone would start label like "THE GOLDEN NOISE", what would keep the essential 100 noise albums (whoever will decide..) always available on affordable price. Repress when needed. You know, what's the sense of album like this being on discogs for sale 55-75 euros?! It's the noise CD for every home with any kind of noise collection!

BT.HN / WEAK SISTERS split tape
WCN
Here is something in those lines, even if modest scale. First released as ridiculously limited edition of 9 (yes, nine copies). Then re-issued with some bonus stuff on well dubbed chrome tapes. And I can certainly see why. Even if Weak Sisters is certainly pretty damn weak here, BT.HN delivers possibly best material I have ever heard from them? Even better than vinyl LP.

DEVELOPER / ORGASMIC REPONSE UNIT split tape
DEVELOPER / BEING split tape
Factotum
Two short C-20 releases, where Developer basically shows too common routine of his releases: It starts with killer harsh noise, and then just something happens... And this something means that it loses the grip on whats happening and remaining of the piece is kind of lazy racket. Ok for harsh head fanatics, but always somehow lame compared to how good they start! Weird.
ORU delivers the good on the split, beating Developer with ease.
Being fools around with cables, fuzz pedal and reverb tank in creation of broken noises. Not his best, but neither failure.

CHANGES "A Ripple In Time" CD
For some reason, this has become my most ever listened Changes album. Listened it over and over and over again, home, car, work,.. hard to say is it best Changes by any means, but something here just captured my attention during last couple of weeks that it's been the most listened recording! Folk music, guitar + singing most of all.

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 16, 2014, 01:46:12 PM
For some reason, this has become my most ever listened Changes album. Listened it over and over and over again, home, car, work,.. hard to say is it best Changes by any means, but something here just captured my attention during last couple of weeks that it's been the most listened recording! Folk music, guitar + singing most of all.

The only Changes I have in my shelf is Fire Of Life, which I really like. How's that material compared to the later stuff? Which albums are worth getting?

And yes, a CD-box version of Journey Into Pain would be great. Maybe something similar to the Broken Flag retrospective?...

Mikerdeath

Burzum - Fallen (Byelobog 2011)

At first I didn't quite know what to make of this. But on subsequent listens I realized the more I listened the more I liked it.
I understand it now and the more times I listen to it the more it fits with the old Burzum catalog.
Recommended.

cr

Played these records in the last couple weeks:

Con-Dom & Grey Wolves: Many are called but few get up
Prurient: Palm Tree Corpse
M.B.: Weltanschauung
M.B.: Regel
SK1005: Mannheim/Gothenburg 1992
Genocide Organ: KwaZulu-NaTaL
The Sodality: Orgies of Crime
The Sodality: Beyond unknown pleasures
Grim: The past is still in current use
Grunt: Europe after storm
Grunt: Ritual of mortality
Grunt: Long lasting happiness
Grunt: Terror & Degeneration
Sutcliffe Jugend: Blue Rabbit
Owl: Tapes 97-99
Mania: Ultra-negative
Fire in the Head: Confessions of a Narcissist
Pogrom: Multicultural Degeneration
U-731: By all means...
Umpio: Opium Electronix I-III
Whitehouse: Great white death
Whitehouse: Total sex
Caligula031: Bachelorette Party
Theologian: Some things have to be endured
Listened to this while browsing through Antoine D'Agata's Antibodies
Strom.ec: Neural Architect
Alfarmania: Skräcken
Returning quite often to this one, it's like standing kneedeep in a swamp.
Nurse with wound: Salt Mary Celeste
Perfect listening for a rainy and stormy Sunday afternoon. A slow and eerie journey on board of a ghost ship...

tiny_tove

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 16, 2014, 01:46:12 PM

big fan of changes and still gutted for missing their gig in Genoa this year.
they wrote some of my favourite songs ever_
- waiting for the fall
- icarus
- fire of life.
- universal soldier

and yes, a Ripple in time is a winner
etc.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Quote from: eyestrain on March 16, 2014, 02:13:55 AM
Seth Nehil
Nehil and Grzinich have risen to the top out of that group of contemporaries.  Not much one for collaborations, but I'd like to see what they each could do with Hitoshi Kojo.

Quote from: Baglady on March 16, 2014, 02:28:53 PM
The only Changes I have in my shelf is Fire Of Life, which I really like. How's that material compared to the later stuff? Which albums are worth getting?
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Changes releases.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 17, 2014, 12:10:01 AM
Quote from: eyestrain on March 16, 2014, 02:13:55 AM
Seth Nehil
Nehil and Grzinich have risen to the top out of that group of contemporaries.  Not much one for collaborations, but I'd like to see what they each could do with Hitoshi Kojo.

Spent the majority of my day cooking while streaming from Nehil's bandcamp. Spectacular stuff!!

Kassel Jaeger - Toxic Cosmopolitanism (Editions Mego): Nothing intense like some of his other LPs, but this is similarly pure gold. Mellow, mostly, electro-acoustic 'scapes. B-side stands out as being more "aggressive". Very highly recommended!

Baglady

Male Rape Group - On To '83 from the Broken Flag retrospective box.
Amazing how well this recording has stood the test of time. This and Le Syndicat are pretty much the only stuff in this huge compilation that I keep returning to. MRG deserves a proper rerelease on its own though. Anyone know if it has been or maybe even is in the works?

Golden Serenades / Testicle Hazard - Split - LP (Segerhuva)
A real gem in the brilliant Segerhuva catalouge. Rich and beautiful harsh stuff from Tommi and Lasse, and slower dragging muddy delirium delievered by the norwegian duo.

Macronympha - Crack - C62 (Mutter Wild)
Well, it's Macronympha. Always enjoyable, more or less. I tend to get a bit bored with harsh tapes of this length, but with a short break in the middle I'm all for it. Maybe not their finest moment, but when old MSNP tapes get rereleased I have no excuse not to pick it up and dig in.

eyestrain

Sewer Election - Listening To Josefin Hinders/To Drown (For Guitar And Bathroom Water) (Ljud & Bild Produktion): Excited to find a rip of this appear on Soulseek today! Dan is r-e-a-l-l-y getting a feel for using tape and recordings. This is way more dense and worthwhile than I would have expected; judging from the titles and the lathe-limitedness. And more exciting than the Ättestupa recordings that came out not too long ago. That album seemed like it was fusing in musical elements to make what actually shines on this lathe seem more accessible on the prior's case.
Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - Photographs (Erstwhile): Mood, environment, time of day...all this stuff seems highly relevant to my enjoyment or displeasure with this release. Today - I thought this was the best thing I've heard in ages. Milling about the house, taking care of all our pets, making packages for the PO, finally tossing out the Christmas tree, cooking lunch, chatting on the phone, sweeping... This double disc was playing loud throughout all of this and it was just so entrancing. Want to test this in many more places - just wish it weren't so long to do that!
Jarrod Fowler - Percussion Ensemble (Senufo Editions): Really been intrigued by drums making noise lately. Added to the likes of Eli Keszler and Enrico Malatesta, this would be a devastating trio to witness live. This disc is mammoth! It starts there and slowly devolves. Great approach for a "style" that you'd predict would travel in the opposite direction.
Michael Muennich - Rugged (Fragment Factory): Way, way more intense, effected and in-your-face than the Abbitte tape I had heard recently. This deserves to be cranked up.
Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co. (Secretly Canadian): Requiescat In Pace.