PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

ALBERICH "Of Man, Of Genius " tape
Hospital productions
Rhythmic heavy electronics, where one wouldn't be surprised if this was older Tesco or Steinklang label stuff. But this is USA, 2010. Powerful yet quite clean synth pulsations and effect processed voice. It's been kind of annoying that pretty much all Alberich stuff have appeared to be hard to get. Even LP that came out 2011, seemed to sell out in blink of an eye and I don't think I have much of his works as it was often very very limited and high priced and short tapes.

SHOOTING GALLERY "Glass Heel" tape
Posh Isolation
2009 noise release. High pitch, severe lack of bass frequencies, yet fierce and simple electronic noise, some guitar noise too I think? Sounds like lo-fi recording of amps blasting. High pitched feedback may annoy some, I find it torment in good sense.

FFH "Anything is possible" tape
Hospital productions
Primitive power electronics sound, with weird vocals sounding as if it was teenage boy with breaking voice? Or someone with flu, hah. Not bad, but perhaps less intresting FFH stuff.

No Fun Acid "This Is No Fun Acid Demo Tape" tape
Hospital productions
Carlos Giffoni doing.. acid house? Or what one calls this? I don't know or care, as this type of rhythmic techno synth material is something I don't care at all. 20 minutes of torment in bad sense!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

BODY CARGO "Conspiracy of containers" tape
Autarkeia
Lo-fi, but kind of "hit tech" sounding, often down picthed sounding gloomy death industrial-noise. Rough and suffocated. Some of the songs include very nice materials, but one must also say that BC has done quite many tapes where overall sound remains just about identical. I think adding a bit high frequencies could give more punch, although rotten atmosphere works as well.

HVIDE SEJL "Nothing good ever came from waiting" tape
Posh Isolation
One more of more or less anonymous Posh Isolation projects, what according to discogs is Loke solo stuff. Simple and heavy electronics where synth or whatever stuff he uses, has sound that appears when quite dry sound is recorded to tape at maximum input gain. Everything feels very "close" and rumbles are wildly overdriven by crackling type of sound. Nothing spectacular here, but as all Hvide Sejl tapes (3 of them) have been c-20, this 10+10 min dosage works for even less exciting material.

online prowler

The Klinik - Time (1991)
Well executed and produced industrial. Highly recommended album.

Semilanceata - Lifløse som Stjærnæth Hænge i Rymdvalf (2010)
Timeless druggy BM/ambient/folk excursions.

FreakAnimalFinland

ALFARMANIA "Viskan" tape
Autarkeia
I wonder what was the idea to limit it to 50 copies when knowing demand must be far more? Slightly oversize cardboard box packaging. I guess some copies were featured in box, some sold separately. One sider, but program repeats on b-side and listened it twice instantly. 35 minutes piece, what has this Alfarmania's trademark of unusually smooth flowing organic post-mortem sound. Lots of different sounds thrown into piece, but it flows with dark and slow pace forward. Very good.

Explosive Improvised Device "Machete and fire" tape
Hospital productions
Very rarely I've been blown out by Anthony Saunders works. Often something is slight turn off. For example computer works. But here, it all works very well. Harsh noise, occasionally quick dynamic changes and fast cutting reminding Sickness. Contact mics and broken sounds, electronics etc thrown in mix. Occasionally calming down to nearly harmonic drone of feedback and electronics. Entire B-side is rumbling bassy electronics and acoustic kind of "microsounds", never erupting into full on noise. Good tape!

FreakAnimalFinland

WINCE "Self Immolation Rights" tape
Gaping Hole
Solid harsh noise for 20 minutes one sider tape. I listened this twice today, and really appreciate the mix what kind of reminds me of Hijokaidan "windom", while there is theoretically very little in common. Just my feeling, that there is this static hissing distortion layer going on on very high pitch, but lots of things happens underneath. Crunchy quality and physicality of sound is audible when you turn volume up, while on lower volumes high pitch dominates. Material has the same element of stillness like Incapacitants and noisiest works of Hijokaidan. While there definitely is movement and flowing sound, the static distortion covering overall sound spectrum makes it very... still. At middle of tape distortion calms down, but still something I'd qualify as pure noise. Nice!

CHROME JESUS "anti squarian" tape
Hospital productions
What a sucky tape. Crap electro muzak with field recordings of some sort of nightclubs maybe? Only semi-worthy piece is the end of b-side where little noisier stuff enters, but too bad its not good. Someone probably thinks solo project of mr. Cold Cave is selling point. To me means absolute nothing.

AARON DILLOWAY "A Foxhole point of view" tape
Hospital productions
Loops and loops and tape manipulations. Lots of spoken word and with fanfares and negroes talking of klan and panthers, movie samples etc, it's ok, but still far from Dillos best works.

FreakAnimalFinland

URINALS "urinals" tape
Fallow Field
Who's label is this? I remember getting this tape some years ago (well, 2010). Debut release of label and due consisting Klaus Hansen & Mikkel Rorbo. Recycling tapes to make very tasty and textured noise sound. The more one listens, better it appears to get. Beyond kind of monochrome surface, lots of things are happening. Style benefits from 50 minutes playtime, that one can really sink into sound. Label appears to have countless releases out since, and I guess I have just couple..

SHIFT "The Rancour Tape" tape
Vemod
Vemod released only 11 tapes, and this was the last one. Before it came bands such as Ochu, Survival Unit, Regim, Koeff, Sewer Election,.. etc! Not bad discography! In Shift lineage this goes somewhere along "Sleep Paralysis" and debut CD "Unable To Abide The Silence Of The World". Songs are already heavy as fuck, yet it's not as long and slow as Bulk or Creation & Space which both offer different type of Shift. I think there only came ltd 60 copies vinyl box edition and considering it doesn't really lose for Sleep Paralysis or debut, it seems slightly too little...

LINEKRAFT "Tann Itsu Kikai" tape
Wintage tapes & records
Linekraft barely has reached its full potential (at least I think), but there is some weird charm in Japanese industrial noise. These two live recordings presented on C-40 tape, packaged in kind of typical WTR style rubbish covers, are so rotten and primitive, something just appeals to me. Man plays few bits of march tunes or something, bangs slowly metal junk with hammers and screams though distortion. All very plain and simple, but while capturing the noisiness of Japanese noise (as opposed to musical industrial sound), he remains firmly distanced from all sorts of pedal harsh noise and hammers his way through improvised industrial decay. B-side has less percussive elements, more just raw and grim noise. I think this might be among best sounding Linekraft as it's so rusty and lo-fi.

Dr Alex

Clinic Of Torture - Sounds Of Torment tape
K2 - Quaking Earth tape
Mania  / SSRI – Split tape
Sick Seed - Beasts Among Men tape
Brighter Death Now - Disobey cd/dvd
Prurient - Adam Tied To Stone lp
Climax Denial - All Of My Loves Are Like Dreams cd
Deathpile - G.R. cd
STROM.ec - Divine Legions Beyond Psyche cd
STROM.ec - Free Speech - Fight For Your Right 3"cd
Joyless - Without Support cd
Aphonic Threnody - First Funeral cd
Nadja - Corrasion cd
Colloquio - Si Muove E Ride cd
Colloquio - Va Tutto Bene cd
Paul Chain - Alkahest cd
Nothing - The Grey Subaudible cd
Weltschmerz - Capitale De La Douleur cd

Scat-O-Logy

Received the latest SSRI tape some days ago and have been playing it quite intensively during the last few days. Side A starts with rather awkward sampler rhythm accompanied with very crisp and dynamic noise in a cut-up fashion. Next up is extremely filthy piece in the vein of previous SSRI tapes and has quite clever track title, "Selfishness Of Minority". The final track has great title as well, "These Demons Will Never Leave", and the sounds are somewhat identical to previous track.

On side B, SSRI is seriously at its best! The first track starts with very dark tunes. Low rumbling bass mixed with scraping sounds. To me it sounds as if the lows were made either with down pitched piano (I have experimented with this method) or with bass guitar but whatever it is, I'm loving it! The second track is a synth piece with very detailed sound and final track has quite interesting percussive loop playing on background while basic SSRI mess continues to dominate the mix.

SSRI is one of the few noise projects that I'm completely obsessed with and one of the things that I loved about it (along with the fact that there is no other quite like SSRI) were those side-long pieces of pure filth and murky sounds. However, the last few tapes have consisted of multiple shorter tracks, some of which are quite different from each other and that makes the releases weaker in my opinion. So I wish that future brings more of those lengthy SSRI pieces, maybe even a vinyl with one track on each side? One can always dream...

FreakAnimalFinland

FUNERAL MONGOLOIDS / PLAUGED BRACES split tape
Turgid Animal
Noisecore is the name of the game. FM is not at their best, but still kind of hilarious moments when utmost instrument disorder going on and then "VITUN INVALIDIT!!!" being yelled, hah... Bad taste youthful mess from..  old men! PB throws in few samples, what sounds like old english sex tapes. Once in a while neat moments, but both bands suffer from lazy moments. For noisecore, the best is always to cut the weak crap away, and leave couple minutes of highlights to release.

xALLxFORxTHISx "Chemical Death Rattle" tape
Phage
I remember being semi-annouyed about Straight Edge power electronics band appearing. Not that I'd object sXe in general, but like "black noise", it felt like someone will just make some noise and pack it like sXe hardcore as niche product. I recall sample being like cheap copy of "prototype PE", a'la high pitch simple synth noise and yelling on top of that. Very much like first Bloodyminded album. Lyrics being something like "Iiii'mmm straight edge!!!". This tape is different. Already 2010 release, and been on my shelves quite a while waiting to be listened. Sound is now much more heavier and comples. Crushing noises, although with very sharp and clear sound. Some processed vocals. Lyrics with hostility and credible aggression towards certain types of people. Perhaps sound isn't THAT far from Sutcliffe Jugend CD's in Death Factory era CD's. Especially on b-side. So in other words, I do like this, but don't fully appreciate sound style itself. Still tape worth to grab for those into violent PE.

CUSTODIAN "The Weight Of Tension" tape
Phage
Solid harsh noise blasting, and I believe better than some other Custodian I was recently listening. Nothing to really celebrate concerning innovations, but lovers of harsh noise must be satisfied! Only thing I don't like is few abrupt stops in otherwise very oppressively moving solid noise blast.

KNURL "Metasynogen" tape
Audio Dissection
I was approched by Knurl couple years ago, and I turned down promo material, kind of foolishly. My reasoning was that because Knurl has so much stuff out on just about every label, why I should put it out? Well, theoretically yes. This is my label policy. Freak Animal isn't really seeking to put next album of known artists who then move to another label, but work with bands/people who build sort of long term relationship with label, and often also don't make so much release. In other hand, this leaves many of artists into gap. Knurl, who did several good CD's in 90's, what happened since? Couple Troniks CD's, but discography is dominated by small edition CDR's most of all. Then 2010 followed LP and CD and handful of tapes. But not that much stuff after all. This tape is another proof that Knurl is still on top of his game of crushing metal objects through distortion to create harsh noise. Nothing fancy, nothing that special, but great to see proper tape release - although with uncomfortable metal object special packaging...  But I think Knurl still is artists to deserve CD releases once in a while!

FreakAnimalFinland

MEGAN "Opening Nights" tape
Nordisk Klub 05
Some really good stuff on this label too! Puce Mary, Forza Albino, Pussyfooter, Assault Guard, etc.. Megan is solo of Iceage guitarist, known besides this tape from one split 7". It goes very very well to Danish "tape noise" scene of the time. Think of what happens in Copenhagen noisy sounds in 2011 or so, and this fits very well to that idea.

PERPETRATORS "Haterape" tape
Nordisk Klub 06
No affection or desire, but haterape! Danish duo, who has hidden their identity, but have a feeling this could be mr. Assault Guard? Droning, lo-fi, rotten power electronics feel, extremely crude screaming voice that buries basically everything under it when vocal assault arrives. Sounds like recording is done with walkman or boombox in room with amps? Really fierce stuff, and in all its simplicity, I like it! Two 10 minutes tracks. There appears to exists only one split tape besides this.

PUSSYFOOTER "Rwanda" tape
Nordisk Klub 07
Pussyfooter is Klaus Hansen & Lukas Hojlund. So two guys who are also in Forza Albino and White Nigger, and separately in countless projects too. I have very distant recollection in being at rehearsal room of these guys, or apartment of Klaus, listening some session where they throw bunch of huge scrap metal around the hall. Is it this - or some other release, hard to say. But here 10+10 mins of throwing junk around, with colossal rumbling bass heavy sound. There is pretty close to zero "composition" or idea beyond loud noise, but needless to say: I'm huge fanatic of metal junk noise, and when it is this huge sounding and not just micro level scratching - even more so! Play it LOUD!

Now I really wish I would have grabbed more of Nordisk Klub stuff. I probably have some more, but need to browse shelves... Sadly appears to be near impossible to get now!

FreakAnimalFinland

CONTENT NULLITY "Absolute Dread" tape
Phage
Another neat silk screened release. Droning, massive, sometimes noisy... What happened to this project? I see 2012 he did release for Audial Decimation, which I never heard. This is already 2010...

AMPHETAMINE LOGIC "Nostalgia Without Memory" tape
Posh Isolation 033
Calm and relaxing oscillation and waves of feedback. Then abrupt cut to next track, loops of bass riffs and busy electronics. Composition is very linear. Song starts and goes on, and stops. But in this cases it works out well, due sound quality of tapes and sounds themselves. Single sided tape with 20 mins of stuff on A-side. It seems like there is no other releases by this project, but I recall I saw it live in Copenhagen?

ASHLEY C "Steeltrap" tape
Posh Isolation 006
Isn't this first Ashley C release? In deed project went through different phases of material, and while I'm very happy to have released both CD's on Freak Animal, I must say his other discography has pearls too. Even this first effort delivers the good. Powerful noise drone with aggressive screaming vocals, with sense of amplified room. Vocals are utterly vicious! It provides the necessary variation to otherwise totally blunt straight forward power drone. I recall some were disappointed when project moved from "PE" to different styles, but it's good to see artists push project beyond it's early forms. Especially B-side reminds quite a lot what Forza Albino is doing now.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 10, 2014, 05:24:38 PM
CONTENT NULLITY

What happened to this project?

CN has continued and gone from strength to strength. Not least his excellent track on the We Gave Them The Future compliation. He now works as MOLLUSK KING and will make his live debut at UFoI in May.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

martialgodmask

Shift - Altamont Rising

Wow. I don't get much chance to buy a lot at the moment, but had to order this when I heard it was coming. Appetite was whet from the both the Soundcloud sample and past experience of Shift releases. Initial impressions.... total brutality. Caustic, doomed and violent. It's an album that works as individual tracks but even moreso as a whole, one track flowing to the next seamlessly. Subtle rhythmic elements complement the style perfectly and vocals seem more present and effective than ever. A triumphant fuck you to weakness, with albums like this the UK "scene" is stronger for having Shift.

FreakAnimalFinland

NYODENE D "Pogrom" tape
Phage tapes
Two heavy and strong pieces dealing with atrocities based on discriminating someones race. Kind of curious, that in context of PE, it takes the role of victim. Lyrics are written in ways of "they came to our streets... / they marched us out..". Not objective, nor from point of view of oppressor. Tapes comes with short manifesto too, and I find it quite refreshing along modern power electronics, despite the message remains on ideology of concluding differences among men are nothing but social constructions. Sound is mostly heavy metal junk noise, where it appears to be looped and boosted digitally, and few layers of synth humming and distorted vocals applied. While its all very strong theoretically, I think the common problem in many releases are that they sound like computer made. Effects applied after recording, boosting happens slightly less natural sound than by other means. Not his best tape, but I think tape still is very benefitical for this project to smoothen and saturate the sound.

PEDESTRIAN DEPOSIT "eternal" tape
Hospital productions
Uh... This was kind of worst time to buy Hospital tapes. Label was using hi-speed dupping device, not really meant for high fidelity noise recordings, and malfunctioning machine caused lots of clicks and pops to copies. When tape was assumed to be salvation from crappy digital glitches, now it was bad analogue glitches! There came insane amount of tapes, ridiculously small editions. I recall label told he bough lots of these "butterfly boxes", supposedly 100 copies made, but I think because supply of these boxes run out, less was made than actually announced. At least several of the releases. Basically given to artist and rest sold at that years No Fun Fest. Good mix of harsh noise and experimental recordings. Piano pieces, electronic drones, and then high speed harsh noise assaults. Not so far from what Sickness, Crumer or Tourette was doing at some point. Too bad for annoying glitches...

WEREWOLF JERUSALEM "Red Eye" tape
Hospital productions
Couple years later, I think machine broke down and alternative ways of dubbing was used. Sound is good. All at max, crackling noise wall in usual style of WJ. Can't really say why I listen WJ, while I keep complaining about how simple or unimaginative it is, but still... there is something. And indeed, it's also case of packaging. 30 copies tape, in envelope, with manly inserts, why not? Broken crackles what are kind of unnecessary to hear many times, though. No aggression, just rumbling.

Craniopagus "brine" tape
Hospital Production
This tape is good example how Hospital sometimes worked well, other times not. Label boss had enough confidence and balls to edit release to his liking. Meaning that someone would submit master, and he'd pick up the absolute best and reject the crap. Something what could more often happen in noise scene. Just blatanty tell band when things aren't good enough and should not be published. But in some cases it may not work 100%. Lets say B-side is very nice. Track appears like it's suited for tape-single format of 5 minutes. Good vocals, nice ending for track etc... But A-side is such a ear-candy of noisy droning stuff, it just abruptly cuts in 5 minutes mark. It clearly wasn't 5 minutes track, but butchered to be one. Few times listened today, and it is very irritating moment when track just stops and tape ends, while atmosphere was everything else than track about to stop.
I wonder is this project still alive? No new releases recently? Most activity seems to be 2007-ish?

FreakAnimalFinland

FFH "Silenced Whore" tape
Hospital productions
First FFH tape I got, and I believe its the first one. 2005, C-10, brutal wall of harsh noise. In all ways solid work. It's quite anonymous noise blasting, though. Something about names, packaging, track titles, etc appeal to my tastes. Harsh noise, that's harsh all the way. 50 copies made in envelope packaging, but discogs mentions there is "later edition in plastic case" ?

FFH "Nadia" tape
Hospital productions
Similar packaging, tape that came year after previous. Perfect texts in inserts, neat artwork in general. In all its simplicity. Bassy rumbling electronics and hissing hitch picthed echoing sounds on top. Lots of tape hiss due style of sound remains suffocated and lo-fi. Next slow bounding noise sound creating rhythm and eerie harmonic drones. Really deadly industrial sound. B-side, both tracks are noise tracks. First more heavy, second with droning backbone behind manual junk clashing distortion and ending into spoken word.

PETE SWANSON / THE CHERRY POINT split tape
Troniks
Phil said in some interview that sometimes it is about quantity. Meaning, that releasing A LOT of noise was act itself. In this case, Troniks issued 3 different length Pete Swanson (of Yellow Swans) / Cherry Point split tapes at the same time. All stuff would have fit on one tape easily. But it was issued as 3 splits. This one here is catalogue number 136, shortest of all 3. C-15. Both sides electronic noise. PS more laid back and relies heavily on panning effect what keeps sweeping sound from speaker to speaker at same tempo through entire piece. Not gimmick enough to keep power up for entire side. Cherry Point delivers fuzzy electronic torment. Very high pitch, ultra distorted electronics. Nowhere near their best stuff, but still kind of gives me old Death Squad tape material feel due style of sound. That way not bad. Packaging of tapes little boring.