PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

FETUS FURS "Release" 3x tape
Trash Ritual
Uh... during first side of first tape I thought for few minutes, should I actually stop listening?! So generic HWN rumble, that nothing requires me continue further is rest of the set is just all the same. But luckily not. Flip to B-side changes the dull crackling and rumbling "prototype" one dimensional HNW to something else. It's slightly advanced from that. Still basically very one dimensional stuff. While beginning remains decent, before end of side, same feeling of "should I just fast forward and move on" starts to lurk in mind. But no. Lets have some stamina here! 3rd side is more about feedback and crunchy distortions. Not far from some Ninth Massacre or even specific tapes of Death Squad. 4th side not bad either. Equally minimal, but sound is just good to listen to. Reminds me about some Haters recordings where contact mic grinds against some object doing circular motion. 5th side returns to dull crackling close to first side. Utterly worthless. Final side goes back close to 4th side, but slightly more generic.
Have to say my impression about Trash Ritual releases has often been kind of mix of like & dislike. This too. Packaging - ok. Sound levels and dubbing quality - good. Texas harsh noise from guys who have now died - perhaps good document to have so one remembers this from other thing than Kevin being ex-Boyfriend of Ramirez. But is it REALLY good? Nah... Just about any harsh noise tape listened during past few weeks is much better than this. But triple tape endurance test is occasionally good thing, hah...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

F.E. DENNING "Rites Of Passage" 2xtape
Posh Isolation
two short tapes, 4 tracks, all being basically ethereal manipulations of bell sounds? That's what I assume. Very airy, slow, relaxing. Not so much "musical", but long droning sounds.

CLOAMA "Lernaean Catacomb Complex" tape
EST
Was there really 199 copies made? I see one for sale at discogs for 15 euro, and that's it. About 200 tapes of Cloama would disappear with very little of other signs than handful of people praising the excellent special packaging?!
One side with several strong power electronics tracks. Other side live. Those who like "At the Mountains Of Paranoia" CD or "Municipality Of Marionettes" LP won't be disappointed with this. Logically just previous release. Experimental electronics, distorted vocals, unusual solutions how to create stuff that basically is "power electronics", but equally just some experimental works. While many talk about "underrated bands", I guess this is time to mention it again. Many know his works as Strom.ec duo, but Cloama remains perhaps even more hard to categorize. Still feels kind of weird that both, power electronics mayhem or distorted melodies and synth pulsations would be utterly cool and collectible when coming from NYC or Copenhagen, while Cloama doesn't seem to be even in much of demand in his own homeland?! Highlight must be 5th track. While 6th takes opposite position as least interesting track. On live side Cloama does all atmospheric droning well, but noisy elements are remain too digital sounding. Works better with less high pithed sounds and song gets better all the time. Stuff like this would be good addition to Finnish noise gigs nowadays!

Jaakko V.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 15, 2014, 05:53:27 PMWhile many talk about "underrated bands", I guess this is time to mention it again. Many know his works as Strom.ec duo, but Cloama remains perhaps even more hard to categorize. Still feels kind of weird that both, power electronics mayhem or distorted melodies and synth pulsations would be utterly cool and collectible when coming from NYC or Copenhagen, while Cloama doesn't seem to be even in much of demand in his own homeland?!
Agreed, Cloama is truly one of the best and most underrated things to have come out from the Finnish industrial scene. I guess it's because there is rarely anything easily "cool" or catchy in the conceptual side that it doesn't attract people's attention. Just some strange personal obsessions that may not resonate with those seeking for an instant hook. But once one delves into it, it's a different matter. I guess in Finland everyone basically likes and respects Cloama, but not doing live gigs, not giving interviews, and the man being absolutely indifferent towards getting recognition, well it doesn't help the project gain any attention...

FreakAnimalFinland

OCHU "Bonds Of Boredom" tape
Vemod
talking of underrated...  I checked forum search what has been said about Ochu, and it's basically couple of ads in classifieds about Ochu being featured in some compilations. Not much else. This tape might be even best Ochu stuff I have heard. Although can't really feel totally qualified to compare to something what listen today to recollections of tape listened couple years ago.
2005 release, C-20. 6 tracks c. 2-5 minutes each. It has basically many sides what Swedish noise could be associated. It has enough darkness and composed structure and brute aesthetic to fit into lineage of Proiekt Hat, BDN and such. But it has creativity and rough edge to fit together with more recent side of Swedish "tape noise" scene. Altar of Flies, Ottosons works etc. Each of the 6 tracks appear as actual songs with attention to detail and composition. Tape that demands revisiting it for more plays. Listened couple times and feel tempted for more, but got to move on today.. Too bad ltd 50 copies almost 10 years ago makes this something what perhaps very few can now get. Even more curiously, almost entire pressing is in hands of discogs users. "38 has it".. Out of 50 copies! hah.. Still certainly would hope this would get re-issued. I think good companion could be "Brick Windows" tape. Those to LP or CD..

OSCILLATING INNARDS "Ulterior Remorse" tape
Truculent Recordings
I assume label is did one Immaculate:Grotesque tape bacin in 2010, but rest of releases are 2001-2007. No more label website, no I:G releases. Well, he left decent discography of label with c.40 releases. Tourette, Prurient, first tape of Ahlzagailzehguh, Pedestrian Deposit Cd... good things!  Oscillating Innards has perhaps something similar to Jeff's own I:G project. I feel same kind of utmost close-up, highly distorted noise heaviness - also common those days in USA. Line-in recording, but with maximum force. It mixes together quite fast cut ups with more steady harsh blasts and occasionally innovative stops with more exprimental sounds or soft drone. A side could be filed under brutal USA harsh noise, side is most of all almost later days Organum kind of "angelic" drone with steady organ like flowing sound and texture of multiple bells or something close to that (sonically, not sure if technically).  And also among best O.I. stuff I have heard.

INHALANT "The Torments of flesh" tape
Propulsive Audio
Inhalants own label, 2006 release with no catalogue number and ltd to 30 copies. Short tape with two channel noise. So basically most things are different what happens in left and right channel. High force harsh noise, where texture is still very interesting. Separation to channels works out well in regular stereo listening. Not sure about headphones? Heavy bass rumble is crushing, highly effected long delay and distortion fueled vocals and electronics create nice texture on top, being more element of noise than vocals. B-side has slightly more droning quality to it, but it's still 100% noise really. Loud high pitched feedback, heavy pulverizing bass noise, destructive layers of distortion and random vocals. Perhaps with little loose definition, it could be labeled rather USA power electronics than plain noise. But noisy - certainly. Just with high dose of composition rather than free form noise.

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 16, 2014, 12:54:44 PM
OCHU "Bonds Of Boredom" tape
Too bad ltd 50 copies almost 10 years ago makes this something what perhaps very few can now get.

There was actually a second issue in ordinary jewel case a little later, edition...was it 30 or 50 copies?

Re-listened this a while ago and while its nothing I would do today, I still think its ok material.

FreakAnimalFinland

Kakerlak /  The Rita "Knifing And Knived" tape
Thorax Harsh Cassettes
The noise wall is name of the game. While listening something like Fetus Furs makes me slightly uncomfortable, Kakerlar seems to have very different drive. Equally simple sounds, but there is sense of movement and tracks develop. Very grainy and crackling moments, but also force and drive.
One could say same about The Rita. Italian spoken word, that gets crushed in fuzzy and overdrive maximum distortion grain. But instead of just dull crackles or rumbling monotonism, here is fastly moving mass of noise wall. Nice. Ends into distorted soundtrack music, but before that all pure noise bliss.

hkso

OCHU: Confronting the foundation of nothing (C20 Vemod)
I was going through a box of tapes some days ago and found this oversized cassette. I realized I haven't listened to it in about a decade so it was time to revisit it. I probably have even more pleasure listening to it now as my taste has changed a bit. I can only agree about Ochu being underrated project, I would say together with Proiekt Hat my favourite in the Swedish scene. The ones who knows about his briliance holds on to it. It wouldn't be bad with a reissue of these early tapes, not to mention how welcome a proper LP would be!

FreakAnimalFinland

OCHU "Brick Windows" tape
Kickacid
Another good Ochu tape. Mentioned this some message above. Good companion with "Bonds Of Boredom", although being different. Perhaps that is one good sides of Ochu. As discography is so small, and band seems to be perhaps even cautious to make full album (?), these shorter tape releases stand well alone. Not as part of flood of noise, but as proper well thought releases. I think I like "Bonds Of Boredom" a bit more than this, but nothing wrong here. Noisy, yet constructed. Physical, hard, fierce noise elements being organized into musical form of something one could just call "industrial-noise". Utmost care for detailed and texture noise sounds (what many musicians seems to lack), but also talented craftmanship to make more than noise from that. It's perhaps perfect situation.
Listened this 3 times in row, and there is some weird lure in Ochu, what makes me want just flip tape for instant replay!

GEWALTMONOPOL

I agree with Ochu being a very worthy name (although I fail to see much more than a superficial connection to the current scene of Swedish tape nerds) among some of the other greats from Sweden. With only a couple of tapes, a split 7" and a few compilations in a 12 something year existence it's not fair to call him underrated. I would call that flying under the radar which means lot of people have simply missed or overlooked him. Anyone who discovers Ochu will be very glad that they did so.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

yep. I recall mr. Ochu not being very impressed in what happens Sweden these days (or lets say few years back). I would assume he would fall better into lineage with "industrial" side of things. But at the same time, same as with Alfarmania or Proiekt Hat, I think noise people can find inspiration from good craftsmanship with noisy and textured sounds. It's not just keyboards or sampled church bells kind of things or quite easy synth sounds what several better known Swedish projects are responsible.

Indeed, I guess most bands fall into category what GEWALTMONOPOL well described flying under radar. Rated as highly as it's possible can be under such circumstances. Nevertheless, one could assume IF OCHU would have had visual presence of TREPANERINGSRITUALEN or BDN, I'm quite sure even ltd 50 tapes would be now sought after expensive cult items... Under rating music may be good way to say it. Lots of other things get praised for other reasons than offering great stuff.

EMACIATOR "Dormant" tape
Hospital productions
This is perhaps project I often referred "beard drone" or other less praising names. First side is kind of less memorable stuff. Harmonic and relaxing new-age-esque drone, but merely driven through distortion. It's decent to listen to, yet to me - just like slow waves of ambient or keyboard muzak - this remains hard genre to make personal. B-side is reason why I listened it multiple times anyways, since it starts with kind of same thing, but offers more substance. Perhaps the two chord guitar work in end of piece is too easy, but more happens in piece what makes it interesting than basically one simple tone chord from beginning to end.

INHALANT "Scapela" tape
Propulsive Audio
Short tape single from 2006. Like tape reviewed few message ago, this is also 30 copies edition. More just harsh noise brutality here. Restless electronic noise what appears first as chaos, but what reveals to have mechanical quality, where patterns start to emerge even if we talk of nearly abstract work. It goes on like machine, although with touch of hand. B-side adds further aggression and noisiness, despite material is just mix of the first side (studio-live), it indeed is able to process whole sound into powerful violent madness! Although far from classic release, instense stuff that's pleasure to hear! 2010 Inhalant published LP and CD, and after that no releases. Did it stop there?

SHALLOW WATERS "IV" tape
Jeff of Immaculate:Grotesque and guy known also from Em Dath Rir. Five self released tapes appeared between 2006-2008 and full length LP by Hospital Productions in 2008 and then nothing? So what we have here is like punk version of Slogun. Excuse me of funny description, but think of heavy synth noise walls, crunchy and loud (not far from Immaculate:Grotesque) and high pitched screamy voice from beginning to end of track. Utmost overdriven and blown up sound what appears like almost not fitting your speakers. Vocals are slightly buried, but well audible due being quite clear. No effects beyond rugged input overdrive - I assume. One track about hungry poor opressed people. Other track about dictators. That's what I was talking about punk. A4 size sheet of xerox folded many times, filled with images of social injustice. SW does their thing quite well, and I have liked most of what they've done - but to certain extent. PE what remains just "noise with vocals" in theory is ok, but many times it can create unpleasant situation where someone shouting lyrics just distracts from good noise. Or vocals would require more musical drama than just "lets make some noise".. Can't fully decide is SW succeeding to overcome those obstacles.

SARAH'S CHARITY "Illusion Of Enlightment" tape
Posh Isolation 011
Christian Stadsgaard's project what pre-dates Posh Isolation label. Several tapes and some other formats 2006 onwards. Very lo-fi recording what appears to be guitar noise and electronics barely able to penetrate microphone. It sounds as if sounds basically compete which manages to come through, and it gives recording charming broken & vibrant feel. However, tape is hardly anything that special or memorable compared to good stuff of Posh Isolation! Lo-fi drone noise one side, extreme painful feedback b-side. Competes with Prurient "arrowhead" with this...

octis

mdtdeath

The New Blockaders - Changez Les Blockeurs

FreakAnimalFinland

WINDSCALE "s/t" tape
Actual Noise
Cabal and Jim Fellahean from Fellahean, Electro Static Orchestra, In Verse and Burden. Starts quite generic with buzzing synths. When vocals come in, it instantly brings into my mind this is someone wanting to be MITB/Bastard Noise, but electronics lacking the fine detail what separated MITB from many others, and vocals that totally lack charisma. Final moments of A-side is quite neat echoing metal object sounds. Not noise, but like artistic interpreation of distant factory sounds. B-side even more painfully obvious MITB noise works worship, but dull line-in electronics, that often sound like digital simulations makes it pretty hard to enjoy. It lacks all warmth of analogue recording and sounds they pull out from equipment sound more often goofy than fierce. Vocalist does his best to shoult his lungs out, but simply style of sound recording kills this.

CROSSE HUMILIATION "A Very Young Rider " tape
Chondritic Sound
Greh of Hive Mind and guy from New Pledgemaster doing very nice release of dark and heavy synth layers and distorted vocals. Second tape, from 2008, ltd 77.  Sounds like basic method is modulating some percussive/noisy elements via synth, and adding overall synth noise there. Vocals have very nice effects in each track. I would recommend if you like bassy and dark death industrial, but want edge of noisiness in sounds as well. Some of the power is lost in droning slow b-side, where vocals appear more sqealing, but still very good and recommended tape!!

CULTS "Feasting" tape
Chondritic Sound
Greh + Draheim collaboration from 2008 which sounds pretty close to what one could imagine. It has the synth noise heaviness known from noisiest of Greh's works (Black Sand Desert etc), but also rough and broken hand made noises perhaps courtesy of Draheim. It's very distorted and loud and blown out by extensive input gain distortion.

urall

Mnem - Engrama & Mnem - Golyma
Really great stuff: loops, drones, ... - only got to know this very recently - now listening to downloads at work but def picking up some vinyl

FreakAnimalFinland

DAMION ROMERO "Missing Link" tape
Hanson
Master of organic drone. While mentioning drone being tough genre, especially all sorts of easy distorted waves of synth and such, DR does something differently. Charming textural analogue decay, couple layers operating with different levels, communicating with eachother in seemingly easy and simple manner - but making basically all his releases great pieces to listen to! This is no exception. Too bad Hanson covers on these tapes are quite lame.

KRISTIAN OLSSON "Paltkoma" tape
Styggelse
More versions of this? Discogs says ltd 30 single sided tape. At least my copy cover says ltd 60 copies and material is on both sides, although abruptly cut in middle. Very close to Alfarmania aesthetics in all ways. Great flowing lo-fi collage of sound from industrial wastelands. Suffocating atmosphere created from all things rusty, melancholic and dirty. Noise only exists in all the dust covering sounds, but there isn't any too obvious distortion pedals and such.