PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

GUNK "Murk/Noon" LP
Finnish 4 member experimental drone/noise unit. Both appear like quite live recordings (but without audience?). Seen one gig for them, which was more metal junk throwing. Good one. This has one side of humming noises and rough metal screeches what actually start to sound like slow massive horn sounds of big boats. B-side is icy minimalistic drone sound what appears like result of multiple "ritual bowls" being played. Ringing tone that has nice texture. Listened this few times since I got it last year from one of the live gigs.. Was it when Sewer Election & AoF played in Helsinki? I guess so. Good stuff.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Exsanguine

A mix of everything actually - Old demos like Towards the sinister(My Dying Bride) , Shades of night descending(Evoken) , Cranial Dismemberment(Necrotomy) and some usual noise like Con-Dom,Atrax Morgue , Sewn Leather!

tiny_tove

Quote from: Exsanguine on May 01, 2014, 06:09:21 PM
Sewn Leather!

saw them last week in Milan. very funny , although completely based on backing tracks.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

online prowler

Quote from: Salamanauhat on April 30, 2014, 09:47:35 AM
Quote from: Ashmonger on April 29, 2014, 10:17:31 PM
Puce Mary - The Great Panic (Freak Animal, tape): Listened twice in a row, which I normally never do, but let's be honest: it was mostly out of lazyness and not directly having an idea of what to listen next. However, listening this while reading stuff on the internet made it a bit difficult. The tape sounds more varied than the last one FA released, but after these first listens I feel like I liked the former more. So, I'll have to listen again and give it more attention, the attention it probably deserves.

I heard she's been recording in EMS lately, and since this at least sounds more technically elaborate, I was wondering if this is already the result of that..?

EMS .. not familiar with this. Could you give some info / divulge?

---------

Thanx for SHIFT link re:evolution!

FreakAnimalFinland

http://www.elektronmusikstudion.se/

"Since 1964, EMS Elektronmusikstudion is the centre for Swedish electroacoustic music and sound-art. EMS is run as an independent part of Statens Musikverk (Music Development and Heritage Sweden)."

Baglady

Speaking of EMS, I believe Keränen will record there again this fall. I hope I haven't imagined it all. Bats In The Attic and Moon Over Torrelorca are both brilliant albums, and I'm sure a third EMS-recording will be just as good.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening so much tapes, that thought idea of revisiting one of the least popular and disliked format: Biz-card CDR, hah.. So those who don't know, it's like 3"CDR, but little slices are cut off, so it's slightly add sized piece used at some point (I guess) for small amount of data or sound one could spread like business cards. Plays in regular cd players and those computers which have tray. I assume disc is nowadays much less popular due lack of need of discs as well as lack of drives what actually have tray. But I guess most in noise scene should be familiar as there were lots of these at some point. You can fit almost 6 minutes of sound. So basically like one side of 7".

INHALANT "Tiny Blessings" biz card cdr
PacRec 15
Ltd 28 copies piece with heavy, yet low in the mix bass noise and severe feedback & harsh noise & vocal assault on top. Crispy and fierce stuff from 2002!

IMMACULATE:GROTESQUE "Stabbing Eye Fetish" biz card cdr
PacRec 06
Ltd 28 copies. Synth noise that is utterly distorted with neat stereo sound. There is ultimate high pitch in some of the electronics, what makes it unlikely to be this crispy in analogue format. Slow pace with ripping noises, almost icy feel in sterility - but in good way. Sounds very nice alternative for fast paced and wild harsh noise.

GOAT "Goatless and black bible black" biz card cdr
PacRec 08
Ltd 31 copies. Much less utmost sonic pressure compared to I:G disc. This is harsh noise without being neitheir wild nor lo-fi junk. Somewhere between, with often wrong style snotty sound. Like low quality pedals used for pedal noise and no loud amplification. It's ok'ish, but far from best of the Goat.

IRIKARAH "History Changes All" biz card cdr
PacRec 22
ltd 51 copies. This is Irikarah at 2003. Perhaps my favorite era of Irikarah. Year after split with Strom.ec, which I consider possibly best Irikarah. I think too much of rhythm started to come after this era, and often too dry vocals. While earlier stuff had flatter sound. So something good in middle. Rhythmic, yet forceful electronics, highly effected electronic vocals and abundance of spoken word - perhaps little too loud compared to everything else.

NARBENERDE "Seelenkälte" biz card cdr
Pacrec 25
edition of 45 copies for last Narbenerde release from 2003. This project existed together with Azoikum, while that project appears to born first and lasted longer. Here calm, yet somewhat noisy drone music. Basically something what could be on 7" on Drone records. Gloomy, slowly waving sounds, which include dose of distortion or physical metal claninging here and there. Most of all falls into stereotypical icy and slow drone works. Good stuff, however!

ALUMINIUM NOISE "Sweet leaf" biz card cdr
PacRec 23
Last Aluminium Noise release. 2003 release of duo featuring Jason Crumer, before he went to work under his own name. This is A.N. doing noise version of Black Sabbath song. Basically short clips of Black Sabbath, then rumbling and loud harsh noise with screaming.

XOME "Blackness (parts 1-4)" biz card cdr
Pac Rec 19
Huh! Very nice! In finest Xome style, restless pedal noise. Always high speed ahead, but this time also strong and heavy sound. No wonder I started that Xome appreciation topic at some point. Simply brilliant stuff in its style. 42 copies edition and one seems to be for sale at discogs too.

FreakAnimalFinland

HARM STRYKER "A Nightmare" biz card cdr
PAcrec32
I doubt I have anything else by these people. Duo creating experimental noisy stuff. Not harsh, more like modular synth, echo, slow waves of electronic pulsations, little bit of female voice speaking. Experimental electronics, that stands out as oddity among lots of harsh noise and p.e. stuff on Pac Rec series. Not bad, not bad at all!

BLOOD BOX "Sunday Sacrifice" biz card cdr
PacRec34
Keyboard music from guy who also known for Yen Pox. I find always little hard to understand why exactly project is worshipped, as to me its like random improvisations with semi-expensive pompous sounding keyboards what as result generate like improvised soundtrack music for modern horror or scifi movies? Not well enough composed, too much relies on factory preset sounds.

STEEL HOOK PROSTHESES "Anesthetic cruelty" biz card cdr
PacRec 38
While SHP has little musical connection to Blood Box - being cinematic form of post industrial, this has so much more hands on & personal touch that I like it. Especially in this kind of shorter dose it works for me.

EXANGUINATE "Condemned" biz card cdr
Pac Rec 10
Think of Control, without the effect fueled screaming vocals. It leaves heavy, densely multilayered yet very detailed industrial noise sound. Despite hi-tech sound, modern styles of dealing with sounds and kind of cinematic quality, it is still oppressive and violent. Good!

FOBOFF "Your Vice Is My Design" biz card cdr
Pac Rec 02
Possibly third release of this female noise artist. Project appear to stop 2006. Heavy, yet one dimensional harsh noise. There is quite glitchy quality in this, and noise itself is very generic. Limited to 20 copies is probably just right amount for noise that has merely novelty. Still if I'd have to think do I get Goat disc or this, I could go for this. Latter part of song doesn't really lose to contemporary HNW stuff at all. But to decision if one could choose to purchase this or masterworks like Xome's harsh noise... well...

FreakAnimalFinland

HABEEB "Initiation Into Nothingness" biz card cdr
PacRec 05
Handful of CDR's from artists on labels like Pac rec, Deadline, Somnambulant Corpse,.. Weird moment to experience such a "heavy dance" on these discs. Just steady, quite slow paced techno one could dance to. Or lets say, someone. Not me.

LEFTHANDEDDECISION "Argyle" biz card cdr
PacRec 01
Disc that started this massive biz card disc series. I made decision some years ago, to start selling away CDR's. Just didn't feel like I would need CDR's, and it was touch decision to make as some good stuff exists only as CDR. So I made also couple small exceptions. Stuff I got as gift from close friends or bands I'm associated to. Finnish stuff. And basically I decided to keep all these small discs as they take so little space, I can't really say space problems would be solves by getting rid of these. I remember how nice it was to receive always batch of 3-5 new discs, what are very compact and fast to listen few times. Not to mention many are actually really good. Lefthandeddecision offers blunt straight forward harsh noise. One could easily compare this with Foboff disc mentioned before. Digital clarity of recording makes distortion pedal grain almost glitchy sounding, but at the same time, full on heavy duty harsh blast is good for me.

STIMBOX "5:51" biz card cdr
Pac Rec  14
Perhaps this wasn't best era of Stimbox. I feel he was at his best on tapes. But is this good? It is! I only think the crisp line-in recording of harsh noise could be done better. It can be buried into saturation of tape format quite well, but as plain digital release, some sounds appear too little amplified. But as overall work, timing, dynamics, diversity of sound sources, density of layering = very good job here. Perhaps simply due all sorts of drama, Stimbox is in quite lame position. Although I'd guess many don't even know what I'm talking about, but that's even better. It would be nice to remember Stimbox from handful of killer releases than about anything else.

MR. NATURAL "Raisins in my toast" biz card cdr
Gender-Less Kibbutz
No idea when this came out. I assume c. 2005? No catalogue number or year. This is John Sharp who also did great stuff as part of  Blazen Y Sharp. I've said it many times before, but it seems like complete outsider in noise scene. Lots of gigs, lots of stuff released, but somehow totally outside of international scene? All Mr. Natural stuff is him scratching weird woodend branch with wires and metal objects attached to it. Just couple delay pedals, this object and nothing else. Stuff somehow makes me think of Hands To or such things, even if sounding totally different. Some hand made feel, odd echoes, unpolished frequencies. Never noise per se, but just experimental sound works with intensity.

OCHU "Dedicated to Treriksröset" biz card cdr
PacRec58
Swedish harsh noise. Basically dedication to Treriksröset puts this Ochu recording into quite similar rugged, bass heavy, manually smashed harsh noise. Compared to Foboff, Ldh, Stimbox and all those, this has more dirt, less line-in feel, more physical and concete feel. Good stuff for lovers of bassy rumbling noise chaos, although hardly relevant release compared to brilliant Ochu tapes. I believe this was the last PacRec biz card series, and then label was associated with mid price factory pressed CD's.

FreakAnimalFinland

Sleeping With The Earth "Loave (first)" biz card cdr
PacRec 03
Nicer packaging than most of titles had. One would have hoped this 3rd release had been general route since, but no. Most PACrec titles have just small plastic sleeve and inkjet printed sticker, stamped numbering etc. This one has stamped envelope, some insert too. Heavy electronics. Pulsating synth and buried vocals. One could perhaps throw in Operation Cleansweep here, but probably its just that to me the band is so easy reference for this kind of slow and distorted synth stuff.

TAINT "Hel-lo" biz card cdr
PacRec 04
One of mr. Taint's middle fingers towards audience is this. While for example GRUNT requested that the PACrec disc is pressed as many as possible, and ended up being.. was it 56 copies, biggest edition of entire series, TAINT here requested as small as possible. Hand numbered edition of 15! Damn. It's really neat live track full of violent feedback, rumbling electronics, good delay & feedback treated vocals. One could forever consider reference of oldest Sutcliffe Jugend to be something what makes people to think how it sounds like.. but it's Taint. Most definitely lives up to its legacy on this short disc.

TAINT "...I'm a whore" biz card cdr
PacRec/Bitewerks
40 copies was made and distributed most of all at Deadly Actions festival 2003, in france. And Taint's bizarre humor was that number of them was "distributed" in venue's mens toilet urinals. So not sure how many was for sale, how many given, how many urine soaked copies was taken by fans, or if those are in garbage now.. but whatever. Really good release in Taint's "final era". Tasty manipulations of vocal delays, lots of piercing feedback, sadistic noise.

CLEANSE "Dazed" biz card cdr
PacRec48
Cleanse is weird case. As there is some popularity with simple and to the point power electronics, for example in my own mailorder, Cleanse 12" has sold like 2 copies since it got released long time ago. On this release, fanboys are doing quite accurate cover of Intrinsic Action "dazed" song. This is not the hand of glory - this is the FIST OF DEATH ! Simple, and good.

eyestrain

Blodvite - Dialektiska Bilder (Throne Heap): Not feeling too verbose at the moment: this is just pure and simple perfection from Viktor once again. Get this.

Eduard Artemiev - Solaris (Superior Viaduct): Was burnt out on this for a bit, but now all it's subtly dominating power has returned. One of the best albums on my shelf.

Giuseppe Ielasi/Adam Asnan - Quarry (Holidays): Two fellas that can make process music that's at least as exciting as the idea behind it, if not more so. They definitely showcase that intuition as a duo also. Minimalistic, yet gorgeous sleeve to boot.

Ulaan Passerine - Byzantium Crow (Worstward): More structured beauty from Steven R. Smith. Not quite the stunner that the debut was, but on these crisp spring mornings, this album is near perfect.

Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate (Deathwish): I actually really loved The Laughing Stock, but I'll agree with the missus that it got treacherously close to Cornerstone-friendly density. This newbie is a total ripper though. LOUD! And a healthy dose of DEE's "folk" stylings back in the mix. Played this about thirty times in a few days.

Troy Schafer - Rigid Oppression (Aetheric): Speaking of biz-card CDr's, haha. (I actually have no way to play this format, but luckily it came with a bandcamp link) Despite the atrocious medium; in my never-ceasing quest to buy all things N. Ritter and T. Schafer touch, I grabbed this. If you've been following his output, the violin's been taking second chair to electronics. This is nice and oppressive (derp), but also not as flat as the recent Survey Of A Broken Cassette Player... album. The length limitation is unfortunate as this is rather tasty. Thankfully, there's supposed to be some 7"s of work like this coming out soon.

Ill Omen - Radiant Behest Of Excessum (Ceremonial Oath): Yesterday was the first time in '14 that we could open the big ol' eight-foot windows. Watched a storm roll in over the hills, took in the breeze and cranked this exquisitely decorated tape. I'm not trying to be all WITTR here, but I always find the most consuming black metal to hold its power in the daylight. Why allow a trick of the eye/mind in the dark to convince a weak mind of horseshit? I'm sure this flies in the face of the band though, as they're clearly concerned with beasts conjured from ashen cosmic abysses through midnight seances...err. Horseshit.

FreakAnimalFinland

BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA "the weight of the feeble" biz card
PacRec 36
Combine "ne plus ultra" era Deathpile with additional bassy heaviness of Gruntsplatter, and you got Blunt Force Trauma. It's pretty logical, although leaninging towards Deathpile (of that particular album). Distortion, electronic sharp heaviness, solid torment with no mercy.

PERIPHERAL PULSE "Loss Of Consiousness" biz card cdr
PACrec 13
Totally unknown 2002 harsh noise for me. All I know is thsi 5 mins release. High & middle frequency crunchy noises, but not much bass and it is broken and noisy, but works with same range of sounds, not huge range of modulation here.

CIRCUIT WOUND "Cockroaches and drief bones" biz card cdr
PACrec12
Early works of CW might not be his best, but nice to see some USA noise artists who keep churning his stuff from 2000 till today. Slower paced harsh noise piece that fades out. Clearly taken from longer piece, and perhaps the slower pace stuff works better for longer playtime.

SKM-ETR  "Sainthood" biz card cdr
Pacrec 037
One of the special packaged releases. Small metal box with crucifix attached on top. Nice 40 copies release of heavily distorted darker SKM-ETR stuff. Not signs of urban wibes like "Rugged Meat Cleaver". Highly distorted rhythms and choral music, spoken word samples and processed vocals. Much darker and heavier than SKM-ETR releases that would flirt with electro beats, hip hop or urban themes.

FreakAnimalFinland

SKM-ETR / THE CHERRY POINT split biz card cdr
PacRec 33
SKM-ETR delivers "scalpel killride" which fits very well into his Screwdriver City easthetics teamed up with Cherry Points bloodthirsty slashed movie obsession. SKM-ETR power electronics were quite unique after all. Cherry Point is simply brutal as fuck, setting the tone of USA 2000's harsh noise quite well.

AZOIKUM "White drunken bullshit" biz card cdr
PACrec 26
Very electronic sounding PE piece. Static piece of couple layers of electronics, spoken word and tinny echo. Decent track for this playtime, but not among best Azoikum.

HENRIK NORDVARGR BJÖRKK "Rektal_dist 1.4" biz card cdr
PACrec 40
I didn't like this back in 2003, and I don't like it much now either. Abstract beats is something I associate this with. It has plenty of distortion, but just the style of electronic noise-music present here, I don't find much to associate here. I have complete Folkstorm collection and was thinking of going through that one day, though...

NOTHING " Differently Abled " biz card cdr
PACrec28
Experimental works here too. Starts with short blasts of clipping harsh noise, choral music and computer effects and soon goes into weird keyboard music. Pretty bad.

Lefthandeddecision "Thank you" 2x biz card cdr
PACrec 18
bigger stamped envelope and thank you card, with hand written message inside. And two discs. Loud noise with vocals on first. Thunderous, quite one dimensional, but effective load of noise. I'm pretty sure my copy, 15th of Edition of 15, has two discs. As both say "you ruined me", while other track should be "Heartcrusher"... But to ask now replacement disc, hehe.. I guess not going to happen! If there is someone out there with two x "Heartcrusher" disc inside this, let me know!

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 02, 2014, 03:11:32 PM
TAINT "Hel-lo" biz card cdr
PacRec 04
One of mr. Taint's middle fingers towards audience is this. While for example GRUNT requested that the PACrec disc is pressed as many as possible, and ended up being.. was it 56 copies, biggest edition of entire series, TAINT here requested as small as possible. Hand numbered edition of 15! Damn. It's really neat live track full of violent feedback, rumbling electronics, good delay & feedback treated vocals. One could forever consider reference of oldest Sutcliffe Jugend to be something what makes people to think how it sounds like.. but it's Taint. Most definitely lives up to its legacy on this short disc.

TAINT "...I'm a whore" biz card cdr
PacRec/Bitewerks
40 copies was made and distributed most of all at Deadly Actions festival 2003, in france. And Taint's bizarre humor was that number of them was "distributed" in venue's mens toilet urinals. So not sure how many was for sale, how many given, how many urine soaked copies was taken by fans, or if those are in garbage now.. but whatever. Really good release in Taint's "final era". Tasty manipulations of vocal delays, lots of piercing feedback, sadistic noise.

Somebody SHOULD re-release all that Taint short releases on cd/tape!!!

ConcreteMascara

^^^
hasn't it been said repeatedly Taint re-issues won't be happening?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512