PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

CHOP-SHOP "Tension Charge Discharge" 3"CD
CHOP-SHOP "Smolder" 3"CD

V2 Archief
1994 and 1998 mini CD releases are perfect examples of Chop Shop. Maybe I still like the most his "Steel Plate" 2x10", but these two releases are brilliant nevertheless. Routine is basically: short few second clips of various noisy & rotten sounds run through self-build speakers than transform any noise into rusty and rugged form. Always 1 sound at the time, and never for long time. So it's like puzzle of short clips of various levels of volume/noisiness. Sometimes just rusty hum, sometimes all-out noise blast. Its hard to talk about "composition". He just picks up good moment of some kind of hiss and then moves on to next. Older disc is more quiet (volume level), but it's easy to adjust you stereos and basically one can play both, one after another, and it could be even same session.

JAZZKAMMER "Sound of music" 3"CD
Ohm
My favorite Jazzkammer disc. It has harsh noise edge on surface, but also musical qualities to it. Under top layer of distorted electronics, you find almost melodic tonality and forceful electronic bass. Soon loops, experimental acoustic instrument sounds, all blend together in mix perfectly. Utterly clear sound and digitally sharp. Eerie and neat distorted drones take you to final parts of disc. This melodic distorted drone stuff appears quite popular now, but somehow I don't see people getting horny about this as much as Prurient or LR perhaps?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

"All the Colors of the Dark" soundtrack LP on Finders Keepers- this sucker sounds GREAT! Lots of detail, clean, etc. Simple black vinyl, no thick-as-brick gatefold. The cover art is weird.  I haven't watched the film in awhile so I'm not sure what trees have to do with it? It'd be nice to have Edwige on the cover but the trees are growing on me. It reminds me of a record you'd buy in a used store for a dollar & have no clue what you're getting.

Yeah, Kevin of T.E.F. is still around. He definitely flies under the radar; someone should offer him a full-length LP...

FreakAnimalFinland

ELIANE RADIGUE "Biogenesis" 3"CD
Metamkine
1973 piece, I assume performed 1974 and this somehow mastered studio version 1995. If someone said this is lo-fi tape experiments from current band (sweden for example, heh..), I would have believed instantly. Subtle, very quiet, but hand made feel to it. Tape hiss, minimal progression. Sometimes sounds almost like bongo drums would be captured on tape and mutated into magnetic sound what saturates into other things.

RALF WEHOWSKY "Nameless Victim" 3"CD
Metamkine
1994/1995 musique concrete piece. Quiet, but nice. Assembling sound pieces into nice sound collages, where lots of attention to dynamic and timing.

ALAIN DE FILIPPIS "Ton Dieu Ne S' appelle-t-il pas ego?" 3"CD
Metamkine
What has this guy done? According to discogs, nothing but this and one CD on Groundfault. Both good stuff. His old site no longer online. This item from 1993 and 2001 full length. What else? Electro acoustic music with intensity and extreme talent in craftsmanship. Weird that there wouldn't be more releases.

FreakAnimalFinland

CHRISTINE GROULT "L'Huere alors S'Incline..." 3"CD
Metamkine
Very good disc. Even if this is labeled under musique concrete, one could perhaps throw word like "dark ambient" here too. Good usage of various sound sources, but all in all, it's just well done calm and dark sound. And certainly beats a lot of lazy keyboard dark ambient anytime.

CHOP-SHOP "Hello, this is chop scott" biz card cdr
Banned
Being more recent release, one can see higher level of loudness and clarity, compared to 90's discs. Also style here is different. No cuts at all. Just one piece of noise wall. While Chop Shop has been admittedly crucial influence for projects like Werewolf Jerusalem, even without Ramirez pointing that out in several occasions, I think listening releases like this makes it pretty obvious influence!

STROM.ec "Malignant Stalin" biz card cdr
Neuroscan
Year 2000 being recording date, sets this between debut and second albums. Released 2005. Finnish hi-tech power electronics assault, with great vocals and great vocal effects. I like the amount of detail included in vocals, like adding reversed reverbs before main verse of vocals start. Small things, but sets it apart from A LOT of PE groups where vocals are shouted though effect that's always the same. Highly distorted, very digital feel to this, but in somehow good way. Neat packaging, 50 was made.

GELSOMINA "Iron man" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art
Perhaps one should say this is one of the many Gelsomina/Bizarre Uproar team works? All sound sources are from Bizarre Uproar and Gelsomina is doing vocals and editing. This is Gelsomina when he started to sound like Sick Seed. No more hyper distorted textured harsh noise walls, but metal junk rhythms, fierce vocals spewing obscenities and lo-fi quality junk smashing. This would stand in perfectly in "Great Corrupter" era Sick Seed release.

Henrik III

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 06, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
JEAN-FRANCOIS LAPORTE "Mantra" 3"CD
Metamkine
This one I always liked. It's perfect drone music made out of echoing metallic sounds. To explain further, it's almost like clicks of metronome or something like that, with FAST and loud delay, making these tiny repetitive sounds mutate into highly crisp and electric droning sound. It's different from a lot of stuff with synths or naturally droning sounds. Now its like picking up shorters and most dry sounds and attempt to use other means than reverb to get in trance inducing quality.
This is a fantastic work, probably my favorite of the entire series and drone music in general. If I remember right this is based on ice hockey rink cooling system recordings apparently with only some EQ applied.

FreakAnimalFinland

HALTHAN "Poetic Justice" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art
Not even close as intense as Halthan stuff I wrote some days ago. Software synths, very much the home-with-computer feel to this. Flanged vocals may actually be better than all-out shouting. Think Ex.Order, Survival Unit, etc..  but what the fuck with this "Cops Are Pigs" sample used over and over again? At least my disc has short digital glitch in middle of 1st track.

OVUM "avsky" biz card cdr
PACrec24
Noise with quite awful vocals what get louder by the end. Beginning is average solid noise piece, but vocals are just too annoying here.

CIRCADIAN "Termite On The Surgeon's Shoulder" biz card cdr
PACrec 21
Guys of Gruntsplatter & Nothing doing co-project. There is on CD on Eibon label (ita), but no recollection how that was. This is quite hi-tech filter dominated noises. Distorted and busy filter work, but never hugely harsh in terms of pressure and sheer brutality. Nice release, though.

LUC FERRARI "Unheimlich Schön" 3"CD
Metamkine
Musique Concrete from 1971. Sensual female voice repeats the title about ever 5 seconds, moderate effects are being added slowly and breathing sounds. On 10 minute mark track has reached its peak and last 5 mins doesn't grow further. Very very minimalistic, but real time old school echo/delay type of modulations are tasty. I remember when I listened this perhaps 10 years ago and was quite sure not to listen it again, I think there is still something worth to keep it for the future!

FreakAnimalFinland

PROPERGOL "Naked." biz card cdr
PACrec 29
This release goes after Renegade CD on Tesco. Very noisy piece for Propergol. Pretty much harsh noise, but it has the same computer edited hi-tech feel to it. No samples, so musical patterns, but just very much computer noise.

It appears I'm missing following titles of series. Any people into trading stuff - and not some wishful thinking a'la Discogs sellers thinking these would be of high value, get in touch!
Navicon Torture Technologies Psychoheavy ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec007
Lefthandeddecision vs. Navicon Torture Technologies  A Morte Perpetva (Jvstvs Mors) ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec011
Slogun Just Because ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd, Num)   PACrec030
Never Presence Forever Scum ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec041  2003     
Cherry Point, The Drained Blood ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec042  2004     
Cherry Point, The Grisly Death ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec043  2004     
Knüppel* / Schmitt*  Radioarbeit 1-5 ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec044  2004     
Pedestrian Deposit Woman / Evaporating ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec045  2004     
Rita, The Weimar Whores ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec046
Andorkappen & Cherry Point, The  Collaboration ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec049  2005     
Mike Shiflet Vulture Sonnet ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd, Num)   PACrec052
Treriksröset Fuck Pete Larson ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec056

Foyer Second

Quote from: Henrik III on May 07, 2014, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 06, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
JEAN-FRANCOIS LAPORTE "Mantra" 3"CD
Metamkine
This one I always liked. It's perfect drone music made out of echoing metallic sounds. To explain further, it's almost like clicks of metronome or something like that, with FAST and loud delay, making these tiny repetitive sounds mutate into highly crisp and electric droning sound. It's different from a lot of stuff with synths or naturally droning sounds. Now its like picking up shorters and most dry sounds and attempt to use other means than reverb to get in trance inducing quality.
This is a fantastic work, probably my favorite of the entire series and drone music in general. If I remember right this is based on ice hockey rink cooling system recordings apparently with only some EQ applied.

He was invited to present some of his works at the Audible Festival (France) last year and "Mantra" was one piece that he played on the fantastic acousmonium (it sounded loud and amazing). He told us that there was no overdub, just a recording of this systems that resonate and that he made like 220 takes until getting the one he was looking for. Probably an exaggeration to be funny but still...

Jaakko V.

Quote from: Foyer Second on May 07, 2014, 01:46:55 PMHe told us that there was no overdub, just a recording of this systems that resonate and that he made like 220 takes until getting the one he was looking for. Probably an exaggeration to be funny but still...

Would be interesting to have a thread for records done like this in general. It's in interesting concept. Not necessarily like a field recording in the general sense, but a one take of a larger system just having a "life" of its own. Wasn't there a record by Jeph Jerman where he contact mic'd up several miles of wires going through the desert, just moving in the wind and making these interesting sounds? There must be quite a few of records done like this, just using several mics on a large complex.

FreakAnimalFinland

ARTFAG #1 zine + 3"CDR
Hospital prod.
Very strange size zine. It's like 8cm tall, but 60 cm wide! No kidding. #100 copies, 50th Hospital prod release. Compilation has pretty nice line-up. Highlights are T.E.F. and MARCRONYMPHA (Prurient mix). Right behind Government Alpha, Whorebutcher, Flatline Construct. And other bands includes Sickness, Haters, Gasolineman, Joshua Norton Cabal, Ramirez, Prurient, etc.. T.E.F. is here too so good, it makes many bands who usually ARE good, sound less so in his shadow..

BIZARRE UPROAR "Rautaputki" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art
Really nice release of 2007 era. Starts with whispering and random metal junk sounds. Surprisingly quiet and calm for BU. But then masterful lyrics and louder noise starts. Saatanan vitun huorat, miltä nyt tuntuu!? Vittu!!! Saatana!! Huorat! Saa mitä ansaitsee vittu! Saatanan huorat! Something close to that. Priceless. Not sure if this is Corrosive art burning, their discs or just my CD player, but like Halthan, this has digital glitch right in last seconds of song. Possibly plays ok in other players than one I'm using now, but still, only these two CDr's have had problems so far. Could have suspected more issues, especially with some older discs.

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 07, 2014, 01:06:26 PM
Navicon Torture Technologies Psychoheavy ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec007
Lefthandeddecision vs. Navicon Torture Technologies  A Morte Perpetva (Jvstvs Mors) ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec011
Slogun Just Because ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd, Num)   PACrec030
Rita, The Weimar Whores ‎(CDr, B/card, Ltd)   PACrec046

I need those releases too.

acsenger

QuoteWould be interesting to have a thread for records done like this in general. It's in interesting concept. Not necessarily like a field recording in the general sense, but a one take of a larger system just having a "life" of its own. Wasn't there a record by Jeph Jerman where he contact mic'd up several miles of wires going through the desert, just moving in the wind and making these interesting sounds? There must be quite a few of records done like this, just using several mics on a large complex.

Alan Lamb has done that too (or maybe you meant him), with wires in an Australian desert. Another concept fitting your description, I think, is Francisco Lopez's Buildings [New York] CD. It consists of recordings of the insides of buildings like A/C vents, pipes etc.

urall

Quote from: acsenger on May 07, 2014, 04:42:01 PM
QuoteWould be interesting to have a thread for records done like this in general. It's in interesting concept. Not necessarily like a field recording in the general sense, but a one take of a larger system just having a "life" of its own. Wasn't there a record by Jeph Jerman where he contact mic'd up several miles of wires going through the desert, just moving in the wind and making these interesting sounds? There must be quite a few of records done like this, just using several mics on a large complex.

Alan Lamb has done that too (or maybe you meant him), with wires in an Australian desert. Another concept fitting your description, I think, is Francisco Lopez's Buildings [New York] CD. It consists of recordings of the insides of buildings like A/C vents, pipes etc.

I've heard that Alan Lamb one before, i liked it.
Also checkout Jakob Kirkegaard's '4 rooms' (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcmYE407tvg)

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: urall on May 07, 2014, 05:48:21 PM
Quote from: acsenger on May 07, 2014, 04:42:01 PM

I've heard that Alan Lamb one before, i liked it.
Also checkout Jakob Kirkegaard's '4 rooms' (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcmYE407tvg)

my two favorites like this are:
TR Kirstein & Jacob Kirkegaard ‎– Imperia LP which was is just the warm hum of a nuclear power plant to my understanding

Lionel Marchetti ‎– Portrait D'Un Glacier (Alpes, 2173m) CD which is the sound of a glacier

both are brilliant
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

tiny_tove

XE: boxset

- knock knock,
- who is there?
- Police, mr Tiny_Tove, open the door and don't try to resist
- I have done noting, what do you want
- we have been informed you have purchased a certain boxset from Finland
- It is not true, they lie
(meanwhile he burns the boxset...)

beside jokes even better than expectations.
XE at its best and definitely the best WRATH relase so far.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0