PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

CAPITALIST CASUALTIES / DISCORDANCE AXIS split 7". I recall seeing this cheaply somewhere and bought it without checking out do I already have it. As its 20 years old releases, just couldn't remember. Turns out this is 2011 bootleg from Germany. While sound itself is rough on live recording, appears that 7" has even further extra fuzziness. Maybe sound was taken from 7" and pressed to new 7". Kind of annyong high pitch crackling. Should remember to check if I have 1994 pressing somewhere.. anyways, musically, both bands very good. Fast hardcore from CC, more grindcore from DA. I like especilly grind to be shitty like this. DA works very well with rubbish live sound.

Apartment 213 / Nothing Is Over split 7", Give A Praise rec. 2010 release of good power violence. I always like A213, and especially Makita's vocals are great. It's weird that he wouldn't use that talent in most (or any?) of his industrial/noise projects?? Lockweld, SL MAkita etc..

A.D.L. 122 "La Notte dei regali" 7". Black Shirts Records. Italian skinhead oi. Lots of sing along stuff. Nothing new, nothing that special, but just tradition & rock'n'roll. Lots of good Italian bands been on my recent car driving playlist. Bronson, Nessuna Resa, etc.

YACOPSAE / ACTIVE MINDS split 7", German hc/grind band that I believe had some Tumor (noisecore) members. Never quite as good as Tumor at their best. Active Minds is kind of band one thinks it cand be either utter PC crap or genius project still having guts to make each song address some of their personal hang ups in world, politics or scene. Not sure which to pick, but I do have quite many of their records. Was quite curious to check out what old bitter men in 2011 were getting agitated with such songs as "Do you think grindcore is sexy" or ""Power violence" my ass", hehe.. Anyone seen that latest 7"? This 1995 split certainly is better to my than vast majority of (for example) Finnish bands. Style varies greatly even within split 7". Melodic punk rock works better than fast hardcore songs. Looking Beyond The End Of Our Noses could be among best AV songs. Instead of lyrics, they submit explanations/comments of what song deals with. Sometimes they offer both. This is what I like. While people often cry buhuu, they don't let people to interpret lyrics, but just force feed propaganda. At least they know what they want to express and what lyrics mean to them. Not just vague crap to shout about without any meaning.

Mercury 4°F "Crawl" 7", saftlos. Swiss noiserock band. I first got to know this by LP on Suggestion Records who did also Dissecting Table, Cosmonauts Hail Satan, etc. This is earlier stuff. 2nd 7". Guy with Godflesh t-shirt in front cover. Quite slow, downtuned and sludgy stuff, but could be compared to rock stuff of Splintered. But even less "industrial". B-side includes different mixes where sounds of ocean is mixed over music.

Hiastus / Totuus split 7", rönky records. Huh, I remembered there was something wrong with Hiastus, and yeah. Vocals. What a lame growls! mid 90's Finnish crust. Totuus is fast humor flavored finn hc that kind of imitates '82 hc, but rather just mid 90's hc where probably Uutuus was bigger influence than the 80's bands? If it wasn't such tongue in cheek stuff and lazy vocals, it could be classic band.. Seen them live many times back in the day. Oulu punk.

JOHNNY REBEL "Kajun Klu Klux Klan / Looking for a handout" 7", reb rebel records. 1st JR single from 1966! Rough lyrics indeed.
Happy Fats "More Federal Guidelines" 7", reb rebel records. 1970. Mostly talking over country music.
Son Of Mississippi "Flight NAACP/Voice of alabama" 7", 1967 reb rebel records. Mostly talking over country music.
Multiple Voices Of The Son Of Mississippi "NAACP Jig - A - Boo Gemini" 7" reb rebel records. 1968 racist comedy record. What a culture have disappeared, hah.. Redneck humor 7"!  

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

F_c_O

Quote from: Mikerdeath on May 09, 2014, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 06, 2014, 12:50:16 PM
but still.. what's the best of Draheim?
I recently have been listening to a lot of his stuff, The 3" he did on Chondritic Sound "This Man, This Skull" is probably my favorite stuff. Absolutely punishing and alien sounding. An ace of a recording.

Studio collaboration album with Sixes Summons - Samhain is one of my personal favorites.

Ildjarn / Hate Forest : I agree that this is not authentic sounding Ildjarn stuff at all, this was a totally unecessary release. That combined with the changed cover arts on the  re-issues and of course the new Ildjarn Bandcamp page (???) begs the question is Vidar even still involved with the handling of his works? It seems that old black metal bands having their names hijacked and dragged through the mud is becoming a trend, perhaps not for the first time...

Still cant fathom why they changed the cover art, unless they couldnt get the rights for the original ones for some reason. Ugly as hell and put me right off from buying those.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Mikerdeath on May 09, 2014, 01:05:43 PM
Ildjarn / Hate Forest : I agree that this is not authentic sounding Ildjarn stuff at all, this was a totally unecessary release. That combined with the changed cover arts on the  re-issues and of course the new Ildjarn Bandcamp page (???) begs the question is Vidar even still involved with the handling of his works? It seems that old black metal bands having their names hijacked and dragged through the mud is becoming a trend, perhaps not for the first time...

He is involved and all approved. There was logic of doing new art for re-releases so they are clearly new releases.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 09, 2014, 01:16:16 PMMakita's vocals are great. It's weird that he wouldn't use that talent in most (or any?) of his industrial/noise projects?? Lockweld, SL MAkita etc..

His vocals are there if you go through and listen to everything, but he uses them sparingly. Definitely not the main focus of Lockweld. Many releases have no voice at all. Glad to see someone is listening to this stuff!

Ive been on a normal music trip a little bit lately as well:

Yacopsae / Slight Slappers ‎– Yacopsae / Slight Slappers Dead Heroes Records: I bought this for pure nostalgia purposes as these were two influential bands on me during high school. It seems both bands studio work has only improved with age. I recommend it very much, but I am sure there are plenty of noise 7"es to buy as well. Keeper.

Yacopsae – Krank Ist Normal E.P. Reloaded Regurgitated Semen Records: I just discovered this was released after reading an interview with them in the Communal Grave zine, and I had to check it out. Yacopsae goes back and re-records their first 7". The results are some of their best recordings to date. The recording quality of this is also quite remarkable for being clean and full studio sound instead of old 4-track sound on the original 7" I will be looking for their new album for sure.

Irritate - Driven 7" Agromosh Records: short EP of Finnish Grindcore with rock element.  Larm & Bathory covers. When I was younger I had all their releases but I never really got it. Ive been listening to their stuff a lot lately and It may be comfort listening now but its awesome. Are they still active, hopefully they can release a new album as well.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 09, 2014, 01:22:16 PMHe is involved and all approved. There was logic of doing new art for re-releases so they are clearly new releases.
Thank you for clarifying that, I appreciate it.
The new cover art looks very ugly If I may say so. Reading the Ildjarn final statement he makes a point to say that the original cover art was very specifically and carefully chosen so the changes on the re-issues seemed to undermine that.

FreakAnimalFinland

Irritate is no longer alive. Some members are still around. I played drums for their 2000 european tour (not member, was just helping out as session musician). Live recordings found on one split CD with Bizarre X.

EMPIRE FALLS/ONE LIFE CREW 7"
EMPIRE FALLS "The Lines have been drawn" 7"
V/A JUDGE TRIBUTE 7" (Empire Falls, Pitboss 2000, Sacto Hoods, Strong Intention, Life Support)

Got shitloads of Empire Falls stuff. I would guess my "tough guy hardcore" collection is so small, that EF releses are about 2/3 of entire stock. don't think I got. I like their vocals. I like 7" format. The most I like more old school, less metallic material. Style varies and not really chronologically. I guess different line-up's too. I like how their sound was always more "self recorded" kind of stuff. Not like just about everybody else in genre appeared to become utterly clean produced heavy metal sound. This has still rough edge to it. I mainly like the hateful attitude, negative feelings instead of scene group hug.

Preussenstolz "Eines Tages Werdet Ihr Angeklagt" 7", rebel records (ger). I guess modern rechts rock sounds just about this. Drums are still the steady rock beat, but riffs and lead guitars are melodic and easygoing radio-friendly metal, and on the top this Division Germania / Macht & Ehre / Stahlgewitter kind of guttural growling vocals. Huh. It's so weird mix. Think on drummer from Cock Sparrer, guitarist from Iron Maiden, vocalist from Cannibal Corpse. But it works, hah. Especially I'm fond of doing such extreme vocals for music where  theoretically its unlikely to fit.

ALLEYPISSER "Kvalt" 7" + tape box
A Dear Girl Called Wendy
I think the tapeloop material and more hand made stuff works the best. Basic "casio keyboard" tones less so. I think one Alleypisser tape is just so good, that everything else is shadowed by it. This is good stuff to listen to, but also wondering if format is necessary. Why not a bit longer tape or just make LP or CD? Now its c. 10 mins on vinyl and C. 40 mins on tape in quite oversized box. Good release, nevertheless!

P-K

BU : vahimeditaatio cd ...drums & rumbling bass, tormented screams, really love this evolution. top!
Human Larvae : womb worshop cd ... in the NTT/Anenzephalia vein but with more complex sound. good to blast loud.
Mind & Flesh : martyr generation cd ...heavily influenced by old BDN, KondukTör-stuff but sounds more uptodate. very enjoyable.
Decondition sukellan cd ...was only aware of the tape on FA (wich i loved), was surprised to find this full cd...same vein as tape but even more loop-based creating heavy rythmes. Not essential, but very good.
Dusa 'dusa' tape ...trademark tape cut&splice with folk songs, choir, classical, crackling vinyl etc etc....man, i could listen to this all day, from melancholic to orchestral madness. just insanely good.

FreakAnimalFinland

Pussyfooter  "Dada Fuck" 7"+tape box
WGM
Early 2012, "studio" live. Tapes, Tubes, Steel & Radio. NO EFFECTS, NO EDITS. And that's it. C-50 tape, I somehow like the most monotopic piece the most. First track of B-side. It's almost like concrete mill rotating and nothing happening. But other tracks not bad either. Especially last track is very broken sounding, but always sound range of each track is quite minimal and they make noise based on few elements and always the same from beginning till end. 7" has thinner sound, but not much. It's like lo-fi take on early TNB kind of non-effect junk noise. Just rough tape recorded gain dístortion.
Spraypainted cardboard mailer with pasted on xerox art. Again, perhaps too big for what it could have been. No need to slimline everything, but still... Having 45epm 7" included on tape, that would have merely made this as C-60 tape. Perhaps 100 copies is easier to sell with vinyl?

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: tiny_tove on May 07, 2014, 10:52:32 PM
XE: boxset

- knock knock,
- who is there?
- Police, mr Tiny_Tove, open the door and don't try to resist
- I have done noting, what do you want
- we have been informed you have purchased a certain boxset from Finland
- It is not true, they lie
(meanwhile he burns the boxset...)

beside jokes even better than expectations.
XE at its best and definitely the best WRATH relase so far.

unfortunately disintegrated from pre-order so not to be found :/
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

urall

Quote from: P-K on May 09, 2014, 04:50:44 PM
Dusa 'dusa' tape ...trademark tape cut&splice with folk songs, choir, classical, crackling vinyl etc etc....man, i could listen to this all day, from melancholic to orchestral madness. just insanely good.

got this tape in the mail yesterday, and listened to it this morning. i can only agree, excellent stuff!

Now playing C.Haxholm / TR Kirstein cs
I had to turn the volume way up to actually hear something in the beginning :D
Some humming, minimal field recordings, ... i'll give this a proper relisten with headphones next time.

FreakAnimalFinland

YELLOW TEARS "The Cult Of Yellow Tears" 7"+tape box
Hospital
2010 release, ltd 111 copies. I recall it was quite expensive already then, now I see someone asking €127.20 at discogs, hah. Wishful thinking! But in one hand, it is REALLY good release. Most of all its underwater sounds. Sometimes it sounds like group of fags doing brutal piss-drowning movie. One could think a bit of Dave Phillips or Rudolf Eb.Er, but without sounding like copycat. Very disgusting, very bizarre. Mix of noisy moments with experimental and innovative sound sculptures. Brilliant stuff. Possibly their best?! I think "Don't cry" 12" was phenomenalt too.

DISMEMBER "Skin her alive / Defective decay" pic 7", good classic swedish death metal from early moments of this cult band. They became quite weak later on, but still wimped out less than most others of their peers.

BOOTLEG BILL / EMPIRE FALLS split 7", BB does ramo-punk kind of stuff. Empire Falls this time catchy punkrock tune "the KKK took my baby away". Good split.

VERY FRIENDLY #1 w/ LASSE MARHAUG 7"
comic book of noise. With Lasses 7" recycling some of his teen years noise sounds. Technically simple cut-up-noise, but rough sources makes it very good.

FreakAnimalFinland

RUPTURE / SLAVESTATE split 7", fast era of Rupture and good aggressive blast from Slavestate.
RUPTURE / EXTORTION split 5", humor rock from Rupture and Extortion squeezes in 3 songs of hc/punk with aggressive screaming voice. Couple songs reach pretty close to power violence stop&go energy.

V/A TESTAMENT 5x7" BOX
RRRecords
I remember buying this very cheaply from recordstore in Brooklyn/NY. Thought I made great bargain deal, but seems like this killer 1991 compilation isn't that rare of wanted in first place. Now 9 copies for sale at discogs from 15 to 30 euro range.
Zbigniew Karkowski does really nice dense collage of experimental industrial sounds. Think of layering Bats Tou Tai era Merzbow and Vivenza over eachother and you got this noisy, but not distorted, dense sound cloud approaching, where a lot of things happen. Great stuff. I guess I should look into this guys work. Any recommendations?!?
Leif Elggren does some hummin ventilation, Kent Tankred has been during 1988 at EMS studio doing nice humming and echoing industrial clatter. Phauss work with loud phaser effect plagued percussion hasn't aged very well, but 2nd track with sound collage works much better. Rune Lindblad has 3 tracks spread over one side. Heavy breathing and brief sounds of tortured woman. Nice.
Jane Studer with musique concrete kind of stuff. Often one or two sounds at once, cut and assembled into very good results. Animals, nature sounds, but also loud noises what sounds like moving wooden furniture or something. Machines. Helicopters flying.  Agog does close to that, but noisier, more tape manipulation but none of the lazy looping, but just active. GUM is of course classic group. Turntables? Tapes? Reversed sounds. Noise, with good innovative touch. Basically not far what is now being done in tape manipulation obsessed scene, but perhaps even better? There is something about sound quality of pretty much every artist here, what sets them quite different from current sounds. Voice Crack does percussion and industrial noise sounds. Really well, I may add. As simple things as oil drum percussion (I assume) and pausebutton tape edits and little electronics create great results. Nachtluft and Appi  both ok, tape cut ups and experimental goofiness. Lieutenant Caramel much better than any of his recent stuff I have heard. No goofing around. Just good old fashioned experimental/industrial. Cranioclast finishes this great compilation with atmospheric percussive sounds. Odd surreal feel. I can understand in some ways why this item wouldn't be so "hot" for most listeners. Labor heavy listening of 10 sides of stuff, and material that isn't transgressive post-mortem, but slightly arty side of late 80's network. But get over it. Worth of purchase any time!

FreakAnimalFinland

Sometimes thinking if I'm going through phase of noise mania, when so much stuff appears to be so good. But there is indeed crap too. Have chosen to ignore less interesting stuff from playlist comments.. But when something like Peter J Woods "Failure From Both Ends" 7" plays, I can't really ignore doing comment. It is just so bad, that I have hard time thinking why anyone would have pressed vinyl of it? One side is generic power electronics with worst low rate digital effects, and other side is perhaps most worthless recording what I have heard for long time. Sound of spoken word stuff is so shitty, its like conceptual art piece testing when labels have guts to say "hell no". Apparently not this label. Avoid at all cost.

Baglady

Thanks for the summary of the TESTAMENT box! I've wondered if it is any good considering how cheap it still is. Seems alot of RRR's older releases can still be found for reasonable prices.