PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

SEAGULL OVERSEAS "while you plan it" tape
Terror
Another Terror release what seems kind of weird for label. Maybe it is just wrong to assume label would be all violent and nasty noise / pe!? Here you have long tape with variety of songs from kraut-ish electronic sound to bleak dark ambient to slow tempo synth music with etheral female vocals on the top. Pretty well made stuff all in all.   

ABORTED SHYLOCK "Swastikult" tape
Auschluss
There's some magickal quality in sound of Hitler's speeches, that whatever music/sound one adds it, becomes always better. At least I can't think of much music what would have become worse by inclusion of charismatic frantic yelling! AS exploits them too. Swastika decorations all over the cover, unless there is too many totenkopfs that can't fit more graphics. I expect music to be somewhat inferior where "extreme" subject matter compensates the weaknesses on musical level, but no. It is actually very nice release. 60 minutes tape with one track per side, but both tracks flow from atmosphere to another very nicely. Sometimes sounds of war and gloomy dark ambinet pieces. Occasionally full on harsh noise blasting, and many things in middle. Not a bad tape to purchase! 
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Noiseape

-DISTRESS / ODPADKI CIVILIZACIJE: split LP (nice old Yugo hardcore assault)
-PATARENI: 30 godina melodija... LP (prever old Patareni/Buka over their new polka punk stuff)
-THE MANSION CONGREGATION HYMNS: vol1 EP (nice occult rock shit)
-YELLOWMAN: nobody move, nobody get hurt LP (Classic Yellowman stuff)
-CSMD / BASTARD NOISE: split CDR (master CDR for upcoming split LP, ultra happy with the new CSMD stuff)
-BRUNO NICOLAI: the case of the bloody iris (soundtrack) 10"
-BRUNO NICOLAI: your vice is a locked room (soundtrack) EP
-ROBERTO DONATI: eaten alive (soundtrack) LP
-BRUNO NICOLAI: all the colours of the dark (soundtrack) LP (all these soundtracks are fucn great!!)
-ARMY OF THE PHARAOHS: in death reborn 2xLP
-FINAL EXIT / SETE STAR SEPT: split 7"FLEXI (great split of noise)
-CHAKAL: abominable anno domani LP (finaly got my tentacles on these Brazilian metal classics)
-SEXTRASH: sexual carnage LP
-HEXX: under the spell LP (forgotten treasure of metal)

octis

The God Machine - The Blind Man

Well .. What can i say that grandpa didn't ?..

cr

Triptykon: Melana Chasmata
Creation Through Destruction: Belt-Zone Circulation ‎
Skeldos: Įspaudai
Two new and very different releases from Terror.
V.A.: Hatred is Nothing Without Action
Excellent complilation
Alfarmania: Skuld
Pogrom: Degančios Suros
For me, still the best of 2013!

FreakAnimalFinland

CONCRETE MASCARA "The Pursuit of Hedonism in A Police State" tape
Vanity Recordings/Black Psychosis
Best CM stuff here? I think so! Power electronics is the name of the game, vocals appears like shout in moment of pain, each 5 tracks are different from each other. It has this live recording feel, that often sounds are "broken" by other sounds. Competing which of the loudest sounds get the slice of audio signal. Packaging of the release is possibly among most professional I have seen for long time for a tape release. Abundance of inserts, mini-posters, cards, booklets, envelopes, printed transparencies etc. Made with utmost care for detail. However, as much as I admire the undisputed talent of artist here, I feel most of artwork gives this a bit comic-book feel. The sound itself seems like rotten document of our times. Graphics give impression of distant fantasy? I guess up to taste. I have very mixed feelings. I don't like this combined with noise, but where's graphic novel from SiClark? That's something to wait! Certainly skill to compete with top artists of today... Nevertheless, 100% recommended anyways!

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 26, 2014, 09:06:43 PMwhere's graphic novel from SiClark?
Not sure about graphic novels but at least Simon has some great animations on his YT channel. Check Mr. Sunshine for example, made me chuckle... :D

Mikerdeath

CONCRETE MASCARA "The Pursuit of Hedonism in A Police State"

After a few listens I really love this tape for the entire concept and sound approach. Intro sample is crucial.
Loved SI Clark's contributions to the artwork and the length they went to get the package just perfect is impressive as well.

My only gripe is It left me wanting more material for the B side, no issue however.

Hail.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 30, 2010, 10:29:56 AM
SONNE HAGAL "Läuthner 2a" 7"
Luftschulz
After I had listened that new Der Blutharsch split 7", not only DB was pretty lame, but that other band was like lazy Neurosis type of band. Nothing experimental, nothing industrial or related. Just mid paced aggro vocal whatever...  Though, I rather cleanse my ears with some pure neo folk then! And that's what Sonne Hagal delivers. Nothing more, nothing less. It's predictable, easylistening, harmless,....  Basically something I'd say I both can admire in some occasions, and can hate in other. I do miss the slightest traces of personality and difference. I miss the apocalyptic post-industrial connection and charismatic performers doing songs. I do listen Sonne Hagal rather than Of the Wand And The Moon for example.

Been already 4 years since last listened Sonne Hagal. Now was spinning "Jordansfrost" LP on Luftschulz (Tesco Distribution labels). So basically I could just repeat what I said above. Good stuff to listen to. I like the accordion, flute, violin, etc In this album a lot of people are helping out. Members from Of the wand and the moon, Ernte, Lux Inferna, Darkwood, Waldteufel and many others. Very professional, very nice. I just hope vocalist would be singing out-loud occasionally. This humming in whisperlike strength gets old. Certainly there must be topic in lyrics what require full on powerful delivery? Ok. I'll be returning to Sonne Hagal in some years...

JOY OF LIFE / APOPTOSE "Warrior Creed" LP
Tesco
Not really fully understood yet is Apoptose "popular" and if it is, what is its audience? Snare & bass drum percussion done by live musicians works out fine. Gloomy digital synth soundscapes.. well, in the style of epic soundtrack music works for straight-to-dvd cheapos, maybe. It's ok stuff to listen to. Less live-like samples things and Joy Of Life stuff here becomes slightly too much for me.

JUSTICE YELDHAM AND THE DYNAMIC RIBBON DEVICE "Birthdays" LP
Turgid Animal
huh. What a sucky LP. Using concert-grade piano contact mics, he amplifies a sheet of glass and plays it with his mouth and face, processing it with pedals attached to his belt, usually barefooted. Really? Lame goofy electronic noise here. No crunch, no brutalizing power, but this thin electronic sound neither comes out as particularly innovative. For guys who get excited of barefoot element, I guess it may be exciting when you see it. But from LP release, when its all about sound, it just fails to be more than quite crappy oral noises and lazer-like electronic effects.

Levas

QuoteJUSTICE YELDHAM AND THE DYNAMIC RIBBON DEVICE "Birthdays" LP

Oh well.. After seeing him live and listening to a few of his releases, I never understood what's the big fuss about the guy. I think he accidentally cut himself once and there were some blood on stage so perhaps this was it.. But people all around the internet etc. were praising him so I'm not sure what to think.

Caligula031 - Bachelorette Party - nice album, white underwear in the box, everything more or less classic stuff.

Cambell Kneale Ani Courtis - Several More Echoes - Don't remember it

Minoy - Treatment Resistant / The Year of the Dog - interesting, minimalistic album. Enjoyable

Umpio - Opium Electronix I-III - I had these three apart from vol. II. But it drowned in the mass of other stuff. It's good to remember. Tripy, weirder and darker side of Umpio. Perfect after Minoy and for late night listening.

FreakAnimalFinland

ARDITI "Marching On To Victory" LP
City of the dead rec
Among my favorites of the martial bands. Debut full length, still good after many years. Monumental tracks, good sound, dark and oppressive. I think I should get the other Arditi stuff soon to playlist, as I have hard time remembering did they stay this good, or was there somekind of downwards progress like in case of Puissance for example.

SiClark

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on May 26, 2014, 10:20:39 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 26, 2014, 09:06:43 PMwhere's graphic novel from SiClark?
Not sure about graphic novels but at least Simon has some great animations on his YT channel. Check Mr. Sunshine for example, made me chuckle... :D
No graphic novel yet, but possibly on it's way. I did a two comic for a zombie anthology called Dead Roots and am working on a full length comic book at the moment. Will take a while to complete though.

THE RITA HN

Completely immersed myself in MAUTHAUSEN ORCHESTRA's '2nd Movement' again after getting the vinyl version from Urashima. 
Playing on repeat as every facet of it seems to represent some facet of HN that interests me, especially in more contemporary terms.  So many details of minimal texture, airy crunch, and crumbling buzz that reminds me of the variously styled chapters of DBL's 'Low-Fi Power Carnage', but with a more concentrated subtly.  I love that it is from 1983 as it sets a very early textbook precedent for more later minimal texture masterworks from early Black Leather Jesus to Werewolf Jerusalem to something like Mark Solotroff + Sshe Retina Stimulant's 'Excellent Manipulation Of Distorted Tape Death'.  Between Bruno Cossano's 'Saffo's Pleasures' and other various MO recordings, the Italians yet again show their early dominance for rough and studied sounds.

Baglady

GOLDEN SERENADES - The Age Of Swing LP (A Dead Girl Called Wendy)
Overlooked is perhaps an often misused description, certainly by myself. But I really think Golden Serenades deserves more attention. This is just too good to be ignored. The first side is a wild mid paced monster; lots of low end below the higher frequency carnage raging on top. So many things going on at the same time, yet it never gets muddy and nothing feels redundant here. The flip side is perhaps even better, starting out feverishly and energetic, calms down from time to time without losing the tension. Build up, climax, calm down, build up, climax and so on. The arsenal of sounds and the duos' skills to combine them on this record is just amazing.
I believe Wendy still have some copies in stock for those who are interested, and there's plenty on discogs.

FreakAnimalFinland

Lots of those MO's reissues waiting in line...  Don't know yet which "campaign" to start - extreme rotation of URASHIMA or VINYL ON DEMAND. So much records that yet to even listened once!

AMPUTATION THEORY "Voyeur" tape
Cipher
Guy from WILT and many other projects here. Mix together vintage XXX audiotrack and noise, hour of stuff. Occasionally good. Occasionally quite lazy. There is variation and changes to keep you interested. Feels like one long sessions with minor edits?

Taliban / Paranoid Time  "Air Lice" 10"
SNSE
Taliban is at his best on later 3rd of side. Harsh noise that's not that aggressive, but when mixed with bassy thumping noises and high pitch electronics, starts to be nice industrial noise.
Paranoid Time, mr. Loud Louder Loudest, delivers that. Harsh distortion, quickly modulated pedal noise with physical element. No cuts. Most likely live take. Then half way on the side sudden change to metal junk, loops, oral-noises that barely qualify as "vocals". Much more interesting and wild stuff! No less harsh, but just more texture and things going on.

Hive Mind &  John Wiese  " ...Trick Satanism" 10"
Chondritic Sound
First side is called It's Exactly What You Think It Is... and other side ...Trick Satanism. I first thought the title would refer to sound of this collaboration. Combine HM and JW together with attitude: It's Exactly What You Think It Is! Heavy slow paced synth noise oscillations of Hive Mind under crispy digital feeling layer of ultra grainy distortion. Pretty good stuff. I think perhaps the level of distortion makes stuff less interesting, as it never really goes for hard & forceful noise, but at the same time there is element less likely to be found from HM solos.. So certainly worth of purchase for dirt cheap prices seen at discogs...

MEN BEHIND THE SUN "Unit 731" 10"
Steinklang
Two guys same as Rasthof Dachau, Krieger, etc with one off project focusing on samples from Men Behind The Sun movie and musically not that far from their main works. I don't know how relevant is side project which is so close to main project. Recorded 1998, releases 2002 as 10" and CDR. Loop creating rhythm on back, some sort of noisy electronic sound on top giving texture and samples. Then quite harsh distortion pedal works and samples which is some of the most amateurish pedal modulations heard for some time. B-side goes back to calm synth drones and movie samples driven through echoing effects. Last track with rhytmic noises and samples. Not sure what is logic of all side projects, but could be basically theme album of other of their projects... Not horrible, but very very generic release which doesn't require much listening.

FreakAnimalFinland

CURRENT 93 "Nature Unveiled" LP+7"
Durtro
2008 reissue with 7". Two side long massive pieces of ritualistic vocal drone/growl kind of stuff. Some percussions and great build up for noiser and electronic sound. 7" with one C93 track and one NWW track featuring Tibet. All in all great release!

EARWIGS / SONIC DISORDER "This 7" fucks like 12" " 7"
RRRecords
huh. I recall Ron was talking that after bunch of professional releases, he wanted to get something utmost rubbish done. So he invited 2 absolute atrocious noise outsiders who do lo-fi crap that almost nobody dares to release on vinyl. And 7" vinyl packaged in 12" cover. And what it is? Total noise rubbish! Is it good - is basically up to taste of person. In some ways one can rate this 0/5 or simply 5/5 kind of release. I like it.

KLINIK "Black Leather" 12"
Antler Subway
3 track ep of sleazy techno-industrial of some sort. Year 1990 means its not the earliest industrial stuff, but still not solo works of total EBM cheece. Or maybe it is, but old technology still works for its advantage. Dirk is still in band and I guess left quite soon after this?