PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fin de siècle

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 27, 2014, 05:04:56 PM
I think I should get the other Arditi stuff soon to playlist, as I have hard time remembering did they stay this good, or was there somekind of downwards progress like in case of Puissance for example.

Arditi "Omne Ensis Impera" is by far their best album, perfectly arranged compositions & dark melancholic melodies ...
also the collaboration album Arditi/Toroidh "United in Blood" is excellent.

FreakAnimalFinland

Gerechtigkeits Liga  "Hypnotischer Existenzialismus" LP
Side Effects
Back in the day, someone recommended this to me as SPK style industrial. Later on happened to get different version of this. Not sure if much difference to sound, but according to discogs listing I was just watching, there is one less track in 2nd edition?! Not sure if material is missing of is it just difference in listning. Rhythmic industria from 1985. Classic? Maybe not, but it has its moments. Not all beats and drum machine things have aged well, and perhaps the sax moments on b-side not phenomenal either, but all in all, still survives the listening test, heh..

Nihilist Assault Group / Blue Sabbat Black Cheer "Planned Obsolescence / Obsolete" LP
Gnarled Forest
Huh... I guess TNB connections are not too hot anymore? While 105 people "want this" at discogs, apparently not for as high price as 5USD what bunch of sellers are asking, hah. It's not bad really, but kind of useless depending on amount of noise one has. Two side long tracks, what has sound not far from Incapacitants "Ministry of Foolishness", but compositional style of Vomir. So yes, heavy bassy low end. Yes, lots of crispy high pitched texture on top. But that's it. Same sound for 2 sides of LP. Abundance of records of this style perhaps makes it less likely to be on ultimate top-10 wants of anyone, but I satisfying blast nevertheless.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

P-K

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 28, 2014, 02:07:26 PM
KLINIK "Black Leather" 12"
Antler Subway
3 track ep of sleazy techno-industrial of some sort. Year 1990 means its not the earliest industrial stuff, but still not solo works of total EBM cheece. Or maybe it is, but old technology still works for its advantage. Dirk is still in band and I guess left quite soon after this?

just before Dirk left (and released 'first album' as DIVE http://youtu.be/VujRLWOmAlg in 1990)...

imho, anyone interested in the more industrial/experimental side of "ebm" should check The Klinik (not Marc's solo Klinik), especially Sabotage/Melting Close,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffhJ6Kyk2-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eidDxaWGTtk
and the 'box' album :
http://youtu.be/Nch8fKw35zg
http://youtu.be/Vx1S8VuHe_8
http://youtu.be/R4US2eZ3Eh8
http://youtu.be/AUG89pKNa4U

cold as fuck!

burdizzo

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 27, 2014, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 30, 2010, 10:29:56 AM
SONNE HAGAL "Läuthner 2a" 7"
Luftschulz
After I had listened that new Der Blutharsch split 7", not only DB was pretty lame, but that other band was like lazy Neurosis type of band. Nothing experimental, nothing industrial or related. Just mid paced aggro vocal whatever...  Though, I rather cleanse my ears with some pure neo folk then! And that's what Sonne Hagal delivers. Nothing more, nothing less. It's predictable, easylistening, harmless,....  Basically something I'd say I both can admire in some occasions, and can hate in other. I do miss the slightest traces of personality and difference. I miss the apocalyptic post-industrial connection and charismatic performers doing songs. I do listen Sonne Hagal rather than Of the Wand And The Moon for example.

Been already 4 years since last listened Sonne Hagal. Now was spinning "Jordansfrost" LP on Luftschulz (Tesco Distribution labels). So basically I could just repeat what I said above. Good stuff to listen to. I like the accordion, flute, violin, etc In this album a lot of people are helping out. Members from Of the wand and the moon, Ernte, Lux Inferna, Darkwood, Waldteufel and many others. Very professional, very nice. I just hope vocalist would be singing out-loud occasionally. This humming in whisperlike strength gets old. Certainly there must be topic in lyrics what require full on powerful delivery? Ok. I'll be returning to Sonne Hagal in some years...

I like some Sonne Hagal stuff as well, though not so much 'Jordanfrost'. In fact, their singles are usually better than the albums. They had one really nice one, a 12" collaboration with someone called Polarzirkel, whoever they are. Not neofolk at all, and really quite experimental with deep electronic bass murmurings, industrial reverberations, and short snatches of primitive rhythm. They had a couple of nice 10"s too, but they were rather more neofolky. Nevertheless, they do have an experimental side.

eyestrain

Quote from: Baglady on May 28, 2014, 11:17:31 AM
GOLDEN SERENADES - The Age Of Swing LP (A Dead Girl Called Wendy)
Overlooked is perhaps an often misused description, certainly by myself. But I really think Golden Serenades deserves more attention. This is just too good to be ignored. The first side is a wild mid paced monster; lots of low end below the higher frequency carnage raging on top. So many things going on at the same time, yet it never gets muddy and nothing feels redundant here. The flip side is perhaps even better, starting out feverishly and energetic, calms down from time to time without losing the tension. Build up, climax, calm down, build up, climax and so on. The arsenal of sounds and the duos' skills to combine them on this record is just amazing.
I believe Wendy still have some copies in stock for those who are interested, and there's plenty on discogs.
Absolutely love this LP!!

Quote from: fin de siècle on May 28, 2014, 02:07:42 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 27, 2014, 05:04:56 PM
I think I should get the other Arditi stuff soon to playlist, as I have hard time remembering did they stay this good, or was there somekind of downwards progress like in case of Puissance for example.
Arditi "Omne Ensis Impera" is by far their best album, perfectly arranged compositions & dark melancholic melodies ...
also the collaboration album Arditi/Toroidh "United in Blood" is excellent.
Being almost completely uninterested in martial (industrial), I still absolutely love this group; particularly this album. I would say that they strengthen with each release almost. Leading The Iron Resistance falls just short of Omne... by just a few feet. Their recent 7" with Atomtrakt is fairly enjoyable too, although no sort of deviation from their past work.

Custodian/Developer - Split (Narcolepsia): Killer material from both artists. Don't think Custodian branched out too far from his comfort zone at all; i.e., these tracks nailed it. Developer just keeps getting better and better. Sometimes there's a flop release here and there, but these tracks are phenomenal. More eclectic, varied and dense than ever, but not just simple pedal freakery either.

Ascites - Waste (Narcolepsia): A collection tape from a few years worth of work. Really like the variety. Ranges from harsh noise blasts to some (almost-death-)industrial atmospheres. One track seems to be some wild free jazz drumming and I could have easily lived without that part, heh. Great tape though!

Mark Van Fleet - Neg Scan (Amnesia Program): Absolutely subtle droning music. Not unlike Soliloquy For Lilith at times, but without any sort of esoteric edge. Lots of (slighted) variety throughout the whole, but it always keeps a patient pace regardless.

Lubomyr Melnyk - Corollaries (Erased Tapes): Sunshiney, happy piano muzak that stays just clear enough of New Age territory. This might be a dud for the whole board, heh, but I'm loving this work more and more. Recent hour and a half video on URSSS is top-notch: http://www.ursss.com/2014/05/lubomyr-melnyk/

V/A - Codex 01 (San France Disko): From A. Gand and some of his close cohorts. Gorgeous artbook of paintings, drawings, and more along with this disc. Very similar territory to the Minnesang 10"s on Octroi - quasi-folk, beats, medieval-sounding oddities. Looking forward to grabbing volume two some day.

FreakAnimalFinland

MAUTHAUSEN ORCHESTRA "Host Sodomy" LP
Urashima
Re-issue from 1986. Noise, two simple tracks, but like The Rita said somewhere earlier, think about band starting from '82 and delivering often proto-harsh noise walls, and when you think what most of UK PE bands were at the time or how vast majority of true harsh noise projects were not even near, it is pretty remarkable. Is it best MO, probably not. Always nice to listen to!

MERZBOW "Collection 009" LP
Urashima
Weird choice for LP re-issue! There are at least 10 of the "collection" tapes from 1981. Sound collage era of Merzbow. So to pick up number 9? Not sure if its the best or just happened to be unavailable. I see some parts have been reissued on tape or such. But why exactly this? Don't know. For me it doesn't stand out particularly from early output. Mizutani contributing. Junk sounds, percussions, odd electronics, instruments, weirdness. No real noise, all appears as lowest arts junk stuff. In a way, I feel this is VERY good, and it gives me different feel unlike almost anything else, but at the same time I'm still confused why 009? Why not 001 for example. Random pick from series? Don't know.

FreakAnimalFinland

MURDER CORPORATION "Butcher Meat" LP
Urashima
Its very hard to say what exactly is the highlight of MC. Some stuff is certainly better than another, but much better? Or what exactly? I just like the overall mood of this project, and rugged sound quality. Vocals on this release are pretty grim. Best moments are at end of B-side where its basically just s/m film audio decayed into violent tape noise!

SLEEP CHAMBER "Babylon" 12"
Inner-X-musick
I've never been really fan of Sleep Chamber, but maybe due aesthetics of groups early releases (s/m & magick in neat b/w design), accidentally I have build quite massive Sleep Chamber collection. Mr. Zewizz is one of the very rare cases where I actually had to remove someone from "facebook friends" as his childish butthurt over every small criticism he or his projects received somewhere over the decades would start to effect any possibility to listen this stuff, haha!  This 12" I bought in some record store in Brooklyn. 45rpm 4 song ep. Gothic danceable industrial music here. Electro beats, bass riffs, some experimental electro sounds and vocals that are processed often quite succesfully with mild effects. 1986 Sleep Chamber wasn't as interesting anymore as in early stages, but still stuff I occasionally rotate on turntable!

FreakAnimalFinland

LAMIA IS "Flesharvest" 10"
State Art
Gloomy dark ambient / industrial sounds with pitched voices. Not bad. Not big fan of the style, but not bad.

PAN SONIC / SUNN O / ALAN VEGA 10"
Limited edition of 3000!!! hahaha!!! Well, fuck, who knows if this would sell such amounts. One side 3 chord slow song with guitars/keys and electronics, Other side electronic + vocals and acoustic guitar + singing track. Bought it for Pan Sonic, and all there is, is Mika Vainio contributing little electronics on a-side...

ATRAX MORGUE "Black Slaughter" LP
Urashima
Perhaps more BDN-esque stuff from AM. Dark, sinister and deadly sounding, often bassy and "quiet" death industrial sound. Short tracks, good diversity. Vocals, samples, etc. Very good LP!

ERIK FRIEDLANDER "Alchemy" 10"
Hrönir
Slow and calm acoustic industrument work, some experimental stuff. Really good! Listened few times instantly and surely have to give it more playtime sometime soon!

Bloated Slutbag

Boyd Rice & Z`EV ‎– Untitled
NONscapes of yore throbbing with muted metals massed and milling about in a seemingly improvised accumulation of muffled slip, musty slop, meaty slap. Subtle is a word I use with some hesitation but may serve the means by which multitudinous layers creep up in the fray - notably on the b-side - to yield coarse grainy textures of a distinctly... smudged.... disposition. Like some great god, in his infinite wisdom and cruelty, plucks the two offenders from their recording studio and plonks them in a cave... deep down... to fend for themselves with the serpent of the abyss. Wonderful vocals from Mr Rice, I'm sure - assuming one is believe the liar notes - but nary a single shit-list recitation nor hint of pining for Genghis. Can I hear you say wind-up? Vivenzish jet turbines my ear. Vocalization my ass. Still very welcome achievement for pair of geezers who could have back-dated this 30-odd years with none but my well-massaged holes the wiser. 33rpm for both sides, please.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Though that release wasn't anything too interesting... but lets say, if talking about old timers, listened Sacher-Pelz "cainus" LP on Urashima and jesus christ what a turd!! I'm not that big fan of MB in first place, but even more so I find it hard to think this current situation that has been going for decades, where lots and lots of MB stuff gets released and as far as my experience shows, they pretty much suck almost every time, and nobody is buying them - except few notable classics. Sacher-Pelz LP is such a worthless piece of noise I don't think even historical importance of 1979/1980 pioneering justifies full reissues...

WALDTEUFEL "Eines Gottes Spur" 10"
Eis Und Licht
mr. Wolff also original member in Crash Worship and sometimes live member of Blood Axis.  Label from late 90's to 2010 produced c. 70 neofolk & "dark-pop" releases. This is mostly subtle slow rhythm and slow droning vocals drenched in delay and reverb. It has quite a lot of feel of industrial roots, where effects and rhythm contribute something else than traditional folk elements. Charming clumsy touch in all.

FreakAnimalFinland

but talking of Z'ev.. of course lots of good stuff there. Just spinned:

Z'EV "N.A.M.E. Gallery, Chicago, Illinois 03.01.86 " 10"
Crippled Intellect Productions
2004 release of material dating back 1986. 333 copies packaged between two slightly rusty metal plates, where "Z'EV" is hammered in front and numbering on the back. Label run by mr. Vertonen I guess! Lots of releases. Wolf Eyes, Vertonen, Panicsville, Francisco López, Crawl Unit, etc.. Pretty much acoustic percussions works, relaxed and "sliding tempo", just casually beating some metal junk.

IMPACT TEST "Kill Kill Kill" LP
RRRecords
It always amazed me how some killer bands remain so low attention. I guess when not noisy enough, not offensive enough, not old enough to be pioneers, not new enough to be active scene bands, "big" pressings so its nothing rare, etc... Who knows. Industrial Music in the way I like it. No cheesy melodies. No disco beats. No goth rock. Industrial noise tape loops, rhythms, vocals, regular instruments being treated mostly unmusical ways, never quite so noisy as people understand NOISE nowadays, but so much experimentation with sound and abstraction that it is barely "music". At discogs you can still find this Impact Test 1992 debut in big quantities. Probably at least 15 new/sealed copies in price range of 6-15 euro.. don't be fool.

Bloated Slutbag

Boyd Rice & Z`EV ‎– Untitled
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 31, 2014, 11:22:42 AM
Though that release wasn't anything too interesting...

I can't say that it grabbed me even after the first half dozen spins, but that the benefit of doubt would so lastingly endure against my (nominally) better judgement is already quite an achievement. It was, at first spin, not unenjoyable – low-key, slow-burning, industrial-strength murk - the kind of thing I wouldn't mind having on in the background over better part of a day. I did not expect z'evNON to deliver anything mind-blowing – I still don't, ha – but it seems that the suspension of doubt eventually prevailed over my (evidently fickle) judgement and at some point all the cumbersome z'evlayerings just clicked. It's as a nice moment as it is rare, when it happens.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

THE HATERS "Cultivating Calamity" 10"
Vinyl Communications
I'm pretty sure I have had this 10" for ages. But found one sealed copy from shelves, so why not! Eroding funnel being amplified though organ speaker. Rotating audio sound creating very simple and very grim noise sound. Not blasting harsh noise, but more like industrial process of grinding metal. Very moderate changes. Mostly just static noise. Nice.

MAN IS THE BASTARD / BIZARRE UPROAR split 10"
Deep Six
This particular recording holds very important position for my own noise listening. Normally I don't "collect" any stuff. I just have what I want (at least theoretically) listen. I don't generally collect different versions. But this I have in few different 7"s, as parts of reissue CD's and now also 10" reissue. No excuses. It is just personally important thing. I consider "Human Condition" being one of the absolute ultimate MITB songs, which is perhaps most successful in combining noise with power violence. But that said, whole side is simply ultimate brilliance. Possibly my favorite release of theirs, still today. Mixing of bastard noise sound engines and musical qualities as well as fierce sound quality is unbeatable!
Bizarre Uproar offers session of extreme nihilistic horror. It's hard to explain anyone why this is not just "pause button edits of drums". Yeah, I know that's about what it is, but such broken barbaryan methods is very rare to hear. How the cymbals sound, how pause cuts malform the sound, all subtle details is just unlike any noise out there. Even BU himself didn't make as wild recording of this style since. "Source of power.." material was technically quite same, but more blurred by distortion making it less original. I would recommend anyone to get this. 45rpm 10" is good sounding version of this release and reissue is done with good taste (all original art etc).

P. Children "P.Ch3" LP
RRRecords
Like Impact Test, another of that category. "Industrial noise" that's not noisy enough. If this would be now published on Belaten or something, people would piss honey, but as it's 1989 on RRR, I guess its destiny is to be 8 euro price range LP available at discogs, heh..
I think 10" from 1991 what came after this is even better. This has some drum machine beats that has not aged so well, but those moments are minority here. Lots of killer tracks with oppressive rhythms. Metal junks. Tape manipulations. loops. percussions. Processed vocals. Neat packaging of transparent LP inside silkscreened plastic sleeve. There exists, I guess 4 P.Children releases and one antholy CD collecting their works 1987-1992. Another item that should be good to grab cheaply now when nobody gives a fuck. I recall I got this sometime years ago when RRR was still selling it. Also 10" is available dirt cheap these days.
Only P.Children thing I found on youtube is side of 7" which came before this LP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZF7sqz_JTo
Many tracks of the LP don't have the beats. Some do, but often just the experimental noise sounds. Anyways, LP and 10" better!

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "STEIN" 2xLP+7"
Verlautbarung
EXTREMELY nice looking compilation. Not only that, but just brilliant listening. I won't go on detail on who did what, but line-up is such great and with diversity in all ways (new/old, bad boys/good boys, etc). Some personal favorites Irgun Z'wai Leumi, Amph, Hal Hutchinson, Jeph Jerman, Clew Of Theseus, Doroga, Dieter Muh, Ochu. But no bad stuff here. Very very well made compilation with perfect presentation.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 31, 2014, 02:02:57 PM
MAN IS THE BASTARD / BIZARRE UPROAR split 10"
Deep Six
This particular recording holds very important position for my own noise listening. Normally I don't "collect" any stuff. I just have what I want (at least theoretically) listen. I don't generally collect different versions. But this I have in few different 7"s, as parts of reissue CD's and now also 10" reissue. No excuses. It is just personally important thing. I consider "Human Condition" being one of the absolute ultimate MITB songs, which is perhaps most successful in combining noise with power violence. But that said, whole side is simply ultimate brilliance. Possibly my favorite release of theirs, still today. Mixing of bastard noise sound engines and musical qualities as well as fierce sound quality is unbeatable!
Bizarre Uproar offers session of extreme nihilistic horror. It's hard to explain anyone why this is not just "pause button edits of drums". Yeah, I know that's about what it is, but such broken barbaryan methods is very rare to hear. How the cymbals sound, how pause cuts malform the sound, all subtle details is just unlike any noise out there. Even BU himself didn't make as wild recording of this style since. "Source of power.." material was technically quite same, but more blurred by distortion making it less original. I would recommend anyone to get this. 45rpm 10" is good sounding version of this release and reissue is done with good taste (all original art etc).

such a good release. I heard the newer Aunt Mary first, which I enjoyed, but this blew that 7" out of the water.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512