PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernpe

Black Leather Jesus / Incapacitants - split cd: BLJ a bit unfocussed. Good sound, mutta at times falling into white noise. Volume on the record goes up and down, being even silent at moments, not sure if such dramatic change in volume actually serves a purpose. Not bad though. Incapacitants is made from live materials, I assume some extra editing has been made on studio. Really loud recording. Lots of air between the source and mics, still not leading into blurry or powerless sound. Moving very little and very slow, basicly the beginning and the end of the track are very similar, yet there is a bit this and a bit of that going so we don't speak a static wall here, not at all.

Jakob Ullmann - Fremde Zeut Addendum 4
: Later addition disc to previously released set of three. Modern art music, solo for organ. Meant to be listened in silent volume, meaning the record has been mastered to extra low volume. I had to close the window to prevent sounds from the street and still cannot hear the music from trams passing by. If raising volume, the sound of my stereo system itself become irritating. Despise all this, very enjoyable album. Minimal to bone, hardly differs from noise-releated ambient records. Long sounds, moving just a few times in over hour long composition. Yet subtle enough to keep attention. Should revisit the previous three records shortly.

The Thing - Boot! Modern jazz. Sound comes more from rock than from jazz background but music and musicians are definitely grounded in jazz tradition. Distorted bass, distorted saxophone, brilliant drummer yet fairy laid-back atmosphere. Nice record, indeed.

Treriksröset - Sexregler cd: Heavy bass rumbling, higher pitched noise moving. Mixed very in-your-face, bass left on the background. Not much elements going on same time, album evolves slowly. Lofi suffocating distorted sound, reminding more of F&V-kind material than usual Tronics release.  In the beginning I enjoyd this quite a lot and the sound does stay good throughout the record but for 45 minutes there is very little to keep ones attention.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

New Forces

H.C.O.D. - Coarse Defect (Fieldwork)
Aischrolatreia - Sentient Prison (Fieldwork)

Both of these Fieldwork artists are excellent, super lo-fi post-mortem electronics, primarily instrumental (although the Aischrolatreia has a few vocal elements). I will definitely be tracking down more Fieldwork tapes in the future.

Vasculae - No Resolve, In Theory, Listening from Another Room, Anxiety Blackout (All Self-Released)

Jon has released a flurry of new Vasculae tour tapes in the last few months, and they're all amazing. This is what a wall of noise should sound like.

Constrain - Zero Action

Another fine effort from Constrain, probably one of his best-looking tapes thanks to the Mazurka Editions deluxe layout treatment. I like how Kevin has been keeping things pretty raw and 90's Americanoise-sounding in texture, while incorporating some effects to give things a very slightly cut up and fast paced feel. This is similar to the great 2xCS on Compulsion Rites.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

SiClark

Quote from: New Forces on August 30, 2014, 09:25:15 PM
H.C.O.D. - Coarse Defect (Fieldwork)
Aischrolatreia - Sentient Prison (Fieldwork)

Both of these Fieldwork artists are excellent, super lo-fi post-mortem electronics, primarily instrumental (although the Aischrolatreia has a few vocal elements). I will definitely be tracking down more Fieldwork tapes in the future.

I really like this label. Great noise and really nice design/collage work.

Baglady

BLÅDÅRE - Fjång av tvång CS (Styggelse)
Harsh industrial stuff here. Some vocals here and there, but mostly just loud throbbing heavy noise with feedback. Nothing complicated, but very effective. Lovely title as well, translates "Boner by force" or something like that.

BLOOD OV THEE CHRIST - Dokuments 1985-1989 CS (Styggelse)
Having only heard the Master Control CD and the S.I.C.K. tape of the '80s incarnation of B.O.T.C., my expectations proved a bit narrow. What you get is very diverse live and studio sessions, ranging from the more well known '80s style pe/industrial to weird spoken word/reading with odd percussion (actually made me think of Art Ensemble Of Chicago filtered through early Whitehouse or something....) and what could almost pass as noise rock (Harri style though...). Although rather incoherent at times, this is a fascinating glimpse into the '80s B.O.T.C. Makes me wonder how much stuff from this period of the project that lies forgotten on tape in damp basements, owned by (nowadays) middle age average Johns?

FreakAnimalFinland

FECAL FETAL "Shackles of euroboroi" tape
Supreme Analog Torture Records
Another oddity from Finland. Raw and rugged noise. Handful of misc releases out there, floppy discs, cdr, files,.. first tape here I assume? Especially a-side is pretty good noise. It's not harsh noise in ways like its done these days. It's not really PE either. Despite clumsy and amusing artwork/name etc, it's something one could think to be in line with 80's instrumental ultra primitive electronic noise, but despite rawness, obvious sound of cheap contemporary gadgets. Tape sounds better than this sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpWY_r0Emc

SHITNOISE BASTARDS / NEKROKYRPÄ "Noise Vomit Feast" tape
Supreme Analog Torture Records
SB from Malaysia is some of the best noisecore recently. Mainly thanks to intensively fast drummer who blasts some sort of gravityblast close to old days of Anal Cunt or Exterminio Brutal etc. Noisy sound full of feedback and dirt.
Finnish Nekrokyrpä is like cyber-goregrind slipping too noisy for grindcore listeners, but barely "noisecore". Just formless and distorted.

ROTAT -tape
Deviants Clove
New Finnish noise project what mentioned its somewhere between Mania, Taint and Smell & Quim. And yes, the ultra heavy bass frequencies in metal junk noises do remind of technic refined by Mania and additional electronics, odd spoken pieces and perhaps very hand made noise sounds could be hint towards S&Q or even Onomatopoeia. However, soundwise I'd think to lump it together with atrocities like GOLDENROD. Utmost primitive hand made feel to noise sets it apart from A LOT of contemporary noise makers, and it's good fresh moment to hear such a rotten brutality.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

IRON CLAD tape
F&V
Finnish PE trio what doesn't bring much new to the game musically, but is pretty wild case anyways. If music itself is somewhere between Final Solution and Streicher with throaty and screamy vocals, lyrics are utterly blunt & in your face and also quite rare case to see member in bandphoto with B&H support division shirt, heh! Mix of sounds isn't as good as one would hope. Vocals are kind of separate from sounds and mixing together lo-fi and "hi-fi" sounds without making sounds blend together properly, result isn't best possible. Nevertheless, fans of provocative wp electronics will approve.

OBDUKTIO "Maksa" tape
Finnish crust/grind/groove rock DM whatever. Dubbing is pretty bad here. Lots of clicks, snaps, etc. Also recording feels like quiet and distant despite it's contemporary clean production. Not memorable tracks either. Just kind of generic music you hear nowadays.

ANTERO VIPUNEN "Nousu / Tuho" tape
Choise for name is quite bizarre. While it is part of the old carelian mythology, it's also famous book of games, riddles and amusing facts published back in 50's. To me it appeared almost as if someone would form band called Ujo Piimä, hehe...  Antero Vipunen has been topic in song of bands like SPEAR OF LONGINUS, but the bizarre humor of Finnish band makes it hard to consider it would belong strictly to lineage of black metal. In deed, Antero Vipunen nowadays seems to be noisecore, but these two recordings published on one tape are something different. While "nousu" sounds to me like it was something what developed to OKSENNUS project (worth to check out), "Tuho" is different. Nousu is mostly dis-harmonic, yet complex black metal what could be like mix between Oksennus and Dead Reptile Shine, but with lyrics what seems like absurd humor. Tuho side is like collages of oddities. Often songs appear to have nothing to do with eachother. sound collages, fun music, metal percussion and discordant guitars, electronic break-beats and then all the sudden back to band line-up. By any means, this is memorable or good in standards of usual music, but something weird lures me to listen material what is like scratch-book of miscallenous ideas that barely work.

Andrew McIntosh

I've been obsessively listening to Tao Point by Victor Nubla and Tibetan Red, and to the piece "Anti-time" by The Haters, for about a week now. Non-musical bare sound that changes subtly depending on volume.
Shikata ga nai.

Bleak Existence

Vomir - claustration
cult hnw boxset

cantle

Spent the weekend and yesterday reacquainting myself with Tesco Disco Heavy Electronics 2- the Grey Wolves/Con Dom disc is for my money the best there, ut I was surprised at how well the rest had held up over the years, The Inade and Satori appealed to me more now that when I first got the set.

eyestrain

V/A - Cénotaphe (Les Nouvelles Propagandes): Classic comp from '91 that's still available from the label. Side A is comprised of a single De Fabriek track that plays out in the complexity of a full-length; almost 35-minutes worth of music. A flawless composition of tape-music, industrial sounds, and dated synth tones that are nothing like the modern retro slag we're bombarded with anymore. This tape could be just this song and be worth the price tag, and then some. Side B starts off with Laurent Pernice. While still hazy like the De Fabriek piece, this isn't so drifting. A menacing, rumbling rhythm underlies the track, while almost pastoral synth lines contradictorily clash with the backbone before surprisingly shifting into a martial-industrial-like assemblage. A fascinating and somehow not-dated work. La Sonorité Jaune works out a haunting piece reminiscent of some quality 80's horror soundtrack moments. Echoing sounds of a passing train and a child's xylophone (perhaps) intermingle with some simple droning material. There's even some enjoyable Muslimgauze included as well - as in, enjoyable despite preferred eras of Jones' work. An effect-laden dulcimer recording adds a sacral mysteriousness to the comp's flow. The moment of beauty is stopped short by Pacific 231's piece made almost entirely of slowed-down voice. Not an exciting track in and of itself, but it isn't so poor in the life of the whole tape. Not sure what the discussion is, and that hurts the interest of the piece quite a bit. Das Synthetische Mischgewebe contributes a piece with a hilariously long and literal title: "Etude Pour : One Motor Played Guitar And Three Low Frequenz Oscillators Stearing Three Voltage Controlled Filtrers"...and it is literally just that. A really slayer in the harsher stylings that DSM sometimes has. A simple, pulsating track from Esruk, quite reminiscent of Vertonen, steadily devolves into a reverberating mess of shortwave hiss and feedback before Brume finishes things off with a track that I would think is anyone but Renou. I'm hearing more Club Moral (sans vocals) and Esplendor Geométrico in this. Kind of a dud way to round off such a dismal, distant and rock-solid tape, but one can always reach for "stop" followed by "fast-forward" at this point. Now, the title is "Permafrost (Version Rapide)", so maybe there's a slower, more appropriate, version of this song out there.

Treha Sektori - Severh Sehenh (Cyclic Law): Something odd has been taking place this year...I've been buying a lot of dark ambient and actually loving it. This album, although I set it aside for some time after the first few listens, is one of the better new releases I've heard. The first association I can make is to Pussygutt's She Hid Behind Her Veil... (which is a killer album! Far better than the cliche bearded doom paths they later have walked), at least in regards to the sense of lulled rhythm and in-and-out bell-like tones. Treha Sektori is definitely an active listen, if the past two full-lengths are evidence enough. The volume moves to all heights and depths; in a way, like modern classical music does. The length is essential here too; sub-40-minutes keeps the interest piqued the whole while. Also, being a single track, it's worth mentioning just how strong and interesting the composition remains. It's actually much more enjoyable than a dozen changes in atmosphere. The whole thing is devoid of the faux-occult nonsense that permeates 99% of the genre. It's much more internal and personal sounding without being whiny shit, heh.

Profetus - Saturnine (N/A): Derivative funeral doom that is saved by two simple factors: 1). There's only two tracks at under 30-minutes. This usually is a perfect length for this genre (like splits!!) unless it is a sheer masterpiece. 2). Most importantly, the dubbing is so brutally mangled and warbly that this is potentially appealing for non-metalheads. I picked up the two most recent full-lengths hoping for some lo-fi excellence like this, but...

urall

Giancarlo Toniutti - La Mutazione
Great stuff from the Broken Flag catalogue. Dark atmosphere with synths, sparse electronics and some looped samples

Amph - Terry/Framtid
Got this new ltd LP from Komplott yesterday. The previously released tracks, but classic Amph, so def. worth to have on vinyl.

City Of Worms - Crumnants
Released on Sound of Pig. Loops, synths, and occasionally some vocals on top of this. Really like this kind of stuff. I really should more into this label, i already got some John Hudak tapes etc.. but still, so much stuff out there..

eyestrain

Quote from: urall on September 05, 2014, 11:35:46 AM
Amph - Terry/Framtid
Got this new ltd LP from Komplott yesterday. The previously released tracks, but classic Amph, so def. worth to have on vinyl.

Very excited to hear/see this. Were there any insert or extra bits included?

City Of Worms - Crumnants
Released on Sound of Pig. Loops, synths, and occasionally some vocals on top of this. Really like this kind of stuff. I really should more into this label, i already got some John Hudak tapes etc.. but still, so much stuff out there..

Fantastic tape and fantastic label. Along with this, Der Akteur's Rockery is a personal favorite.

FreakAnimalFinland

BRIGHTER DEATH NOW "Very Little Fun" 4xLP
CMI
Massive set. Listened at one sitting finally, although this has been waiting on shelves for years. There are great tracks, there are good tracks. Not many weaker ones. Of course length itself makes you pretty familiar with already trademark BDN sound. But for lovers of death industrial sound at purest, it's of course great release.

DISSECTING TABLE / SEKTOR 304 "utopia / decay" LP
Malignant
DT is my old times fave, but project has faced bad situation. His new stuff that tries to do the same-old sampled metal percussion works sounds at this point like recycling so many times recycled identical sound samples.. and his digital harsh noise works barely need to be listened when compared to high level of harsh noise these days...  Sektor 304 side is much much better, and in their field of industrial music, they remain one of the most interesting groups. Sounds less of "home taping noise" and more like "normal band in studio", so up to person whether the kind of clean and neat sound is good for you.

LULL "Way through staring" LP
Manifold
1997 subtle dark ambient recordings of MJ Harris. I know it probably is odd to say I feel kind of turned off when "metal heads" are doing experimental music. Hah. Not sure if mr. Harris even would qualify as "metal head", even to degree I am.. But still always had hard time to really get myself listen Lull. However, when struggling to get over the useless prejudise, it's pretty good for what it is. Calm, slow, pretty typical stuff. But not bad at all.

PAN SONIC "B" 12"
My Ears! My Ears!
1999 stuff. Hard electronic beats in the way I like it. Although also this goes to "normal" techno beats quite often, but at the best, its rhythmic distorted, electric signals.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: eyestrain on September 05, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
Amph - Terry/Framtid

No, same art on both sides of the sleeve & black center labels. Shipped very poorly too. Great record tho!

urall

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on September 05, 2014, 03:52:38 PM
Quote from: eyestrain on September 05, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
Amph - Terry/Framtid

No, same art on both sides of the sleeve & black center labels. Shipped very poorly too. Great record tho!

fwiw, my copy was shipped fine. Sucks to receive items with split seams or bend corners though..