PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ritual

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on September 05, 2014, 03:52:38 PM
Shipped very poorly too.

Mine was too. Miraculously, the record arrived safely in great shape, but it was certainly not due to how it was packed.

Ernpe

The Rita - Ballet Feet Positions cd
Ballet dancer mic'd and processed by the Rita. Suprisingly not the trademark harsh noise wall sound of the Rita but crackle there, crackle here and lots of silence, sound of recorder and such in between. Didn't try it really loud, so perhaps there's more. But the main noise sound is thin and crackling, so it hardly gets better with extreme volume. The piece is over 30 minutes and gets are more intense by the end,  yet quite hard to get into. Perhaps seeing the dancer on film at the same time would do the difference? Ten minutes long rework by Caligula031 works better, being decent harsh noise with vocals burried low under the noise.

The Rita / Caligula031 - Self Shop tape
The Rita this time with more dynamic harsh noise sound. Sample voice, some junk metal and noise but rather power electornic composition instead of full blast. May be because of the tape but the sound is really nice, strong and powerful but yet warm.
Caligula031 with suprisingly clean sound. No bass rumble, neither lofi gutter feedback. Sharp high pitched synth (?), relaxed flow, vocals low on the mix. Nice.

Mania - Decrepit tape
Starts with noise flowing and big metal door banging on background. Then a longer piece of acoustic metal noise, really nicely recorded. A few artists have such dynamics into acoustic banging. Other side of the tape starts with more traditional power electronics tracks with blurred vocals, feedback and such.

Creation Through Destruction - Belt Zone Circulation cd
Nearly 70 minutes of noise. Four tracks, each with different Japanese noise artist contributing source material. Government Alpha I could regocnize but others...well, the tracks differ but I could not tell the K2 track from Hiroshi Hasegawa track soundwise. But as said, all four tracks are different. First we got decent harsh noise, then more experimental stuff and for last again harsh noise. CTD keeps the noise flowing nicely, making the record a nice listen. Soundwise it is clean and sharp throughout, a slight more of dirt could have worked better with more noisier material but not bad this way either.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

THE RITA HN

Vasculae - In Theory c-30 + booklet
Vasculae - No Resolve c-30

As I expected, amazing, absolutely moving work.  'In Theory' in particular - great conscious acts of 'risk' taking spoken word that is charged and interrupted with concentrated harsh noise.  'No Resolve' boasts a more classic approach that revolves around Borges' undying mastery of the harsh noise form.  More than ever, I like to define these works as 'harsh sound'. 
So into Jon's approach to HN over the last few years, almost like a studied revisit to the 90s, but translated into abrasive sound that proves that there are so many many variances to HN, that is can always be new when sincerity is foremost. 

F_c_O

Noticed I have some strange project's apparently called 'Sounds beyond grave' mp3's on my comp. Two untitled sides, year has been marked as 198?. Didnt find anything from discogs. Anyone has any idea what this is? Based on first 2 minutes, quite interesting stuff. drum machine beats, strange sounds, dark ambient.

whiteheatnoise

I too received my copy of the Amph LP yesterday and it shockingly survived the long voyage to the US without getting totally destroyed. It was undoubtedly the worst-packed LP I've ever received, yet somehow only managed to sustain a couple bent corners. Great record by the way!

FreakAnimalFinland

HAKARISTI new tape
Filth & Violence
Raw fusion of noisyness, punk and perhaps even more so metal riffing and even cold melodies.

STUMM new tape
basically good sounding live gig that includes their unreleased tracks, that were perhaps best what band did! Finnish ultra slow and grim sludge.

PHILIP CORNER / MICHAEL VOGEL / PHEBE NEVILLE "musiques des ailes / winged music" LP
Very quiet, minimal and subtle bells & percussive sounds. Couple times appears like cut for vinyl is fucked. Either that or recording of few loud parts gets highly distorted.

ANEMONE TUBE / DISSECTING TABLE "This Dismal World"-peripheral LP
Peripheral
Perhaps better stuff from DT, but seems like these two bands nowadays are far more CD friendly music than vinyl. Despite some ruggedness it adds here, I think music what gets into almost ritualistic mood, doesn't benefit this time from fuzzy high frequencies and such. I've listened this couple times, and kind of like what I hear, but at the same time.. maybe tape or CD would have been better for material as now instead of material being what I remember, I just remember thinking how sound may not be optimal...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

hkso

Quote from: F_c_O on September 09, 2014, 12:42:36 PM
Noticed I have some strange project's apparently called 'Sounds beyond grave' mp3's on my comp. Two untitled sides, year has been marked as 198?. Didnt find anything from discogs. Anyone has any idea what this is? Based on first 2 minutes, quite interesting stuff. drum machine beats, strange sounds, dark ambient.

Sounds Beyond the Grave was a compilation done by Blood Ov Thee Christ Tapes / Sachsenhausen Industriale back in 1986. I have seen some different versions of it... both C90 and C60+C90 with booklet (the later is the one I have in my collection). One of the better postmortem / ritual music comptapes from that time. Harri tested different versions of covers and so on but it never really got beyond that. Asked him once about how many he sold and it was just a handful through his distribution service back in then. Can't check the booklet now as I don't know where I have it but remember some of the bands on it being Abstract Belief, HG Wells, Republic, White Hand, De Fabriek, Banned Production, Pacific 231, Coup De Grace, Randy Greif, Vox Populi, XX Committee (+ some of their side-projects), Todtentanz (BOTC) and so on.

F_c_O

Thanks to both of you. Saddly my mp3's dont have a tracklist with them so I have no clue what I am listening to and if there are several versions of it, I cant even trust the discogs page. Enjoying it neverlethess.

Baglady

Quote from: F_c_O on September 11, 2014, 02:26:24 PM
Thanks to both of you. Saddly my mp3's dont have a tracklist with them so I have no clue what I am listening to and if there are several versions of it, I cant even trust the discogs page. Enjoying it neverlethess.

I believe I stumbled upon the same mp3-file(s) some time ago. The file itself was entitled just "Blood Ov Thee Christ", so I thought I had stumbled upon some big forgotten BOTC-recording at first. Good stuff though, as you say. I believe it's the C90 I have (which would fit the discogs entry), but I wouldn't swear on it.

Ashmonger

Custodian/Developer (C30, Narcolepsia): Haven't been listening too much Harsh Noise lately, but Custodian is really great, 'burning' Harsh Noise and a really nice ending to his side. Developer is cut up stuff as usual, haven't heard a lot of his releases yet, but this seems a bit slower than some of his other stuff I've heard. The two acts on this tape complement each other well.

Developer/Orgasmic Response Unit (C20, Factotum Tapes): The tape starts with ORU which is good Harsh Noise, but it doesn't seem to have a lasting impression. Developer starts with cut up, but after that there's a part that's more straight forward Harsh Noise. All in all a good tape, but the Custodian/Developer tape is just a bit better.

Freak Power (Compilation single sided 12", Fuck Yoga Records): This is a really nice compilation, for which I have to sit down to listen to it, otherwise I miss tracks, hehe. Interesting interviews in the fanzine too. Favorite tracks by Apartment 213, Nihilist Commando, Hatred Surge, Iron Lung and 1 or 2 others which I already can't remember. The downside of having quite a lot of bands I had never heard about before. Seems like quite a lot of these bands haven't released much either.

The Endless Blockade/Wadge (7", Regurgitated Semen Records): The Endless Blockade is The Endless Blockade, don't really know what else to say, to me they really sound recognizable and good! Wadge I only knew from the Freak Power compilation (haven't heard his track on Small Doses yet, still going through that compilation). It's weird and interesting, but I don't see it becoming a favorite band. That fascination with Hawaii is pretty out-there for a grindcore band too and somehow it feels more than just a gimmick.

Hatred Surge/Insect Warfare (7", Regurgitated Semen Records): Hatred Surge is great as always, those double male & female vocals really work well for me, even though I liked the voice of the girl on the Deconstruct 12" a bit more. Insect Warfare is pretty good grindcore, though not that good that I really feel compelled to check out all their other material (I'm pretty picky when it comes to grindcore).

Vapaudenristi/Pagan Skull (7", Sakaramina/Europe Erwache): The Vapaudenristi track is pretty good, really nice synths. Good choice for a cover too, even though the original is still a bit better. Pagan Skull is good, though it's a bit weird, parts RAC, part NSBM, but judging after a first spin, the different pieces don't really flow into each other well, got the feeling of listening to a different song sometimes, while it still was the same track.

Ironbird - Österland (7", Wewelsburg Records): First track on the A-side after the intro and the last track are pretty interesting, the rest seems lesser, will play it again, but first impression isn't too good...

Schizophasia - 5000 (LP, Deathangle Absolution Records): A-side starts with some kind of malformed punk track, rest of the tracks are more industrial, then the last track has a beat that reminds me of Joy Division. B-side starts with, well, I don't know how to describe, Industrial weirdness or something? Then more industrial, then back into feedback-laden kind of (slow) punk. Vocals are what sounds like a monsterrobot in some tracks and some more regularly effected vocals in other tracks. First spin and I seem to prefer the A-side. Very weird band, but intriguing and I quite liked their 3000 LP as well. Even though there's quite some different styles on this, I feel like there's still a wholeness in atmosphere through their stuff (I guess the bandpics help).

Knockout - Think It's Time (CD, Rebel Records): The band that came before Youngland.  I got this because I really like the Same Old Song track on Winter Wind & because Pure Impact sold it quite cheap in his sellout. More or less the same style as Youngland, but Youngland seems simply better.

Small Doses (Compilation CD, Mortville Records & 4 other labels): Pretty cool compilation. 100 bands in 45 minutes. Different styles such as punk, grindcore, noisecore, harsh noise and absurd fuckery. Features both well known and less known bands. Each band has max 30 seconds. Nice layout too and it was quite cheap. Obviously not everything is good in here, but there's definitely some stuff that deserves more attention, though due to the big number of bands, I already forgot some of the interesting stoff, so I'll have to go through it again.

Stormwolf - Unbreakable (CD, Good Night Left Side): Short lived Belgian RAC band featuring some members from Flemish NSBM bands. Some tracks are pretty good, others are less interesting, nice Landser cover, not too very interesting lyrics. Well, ok, it was very cheap, so it was worth it. But all in all, I much prefer the drummers NSBM band Elfenbloed, whose only demo  (Voor Den Eer Van Ons Geschied...) comes highly recommended.

STREETMEAT

Quote from: Ashmonger on September 13, 2014, 01:18:54 AM

Hatred Surge/Insect Warfare (7", Regurgitated Semen Records): Hatred Surge is great as always, those double male & female vocals really work well for me, even though I liked the voice of the girl on the Deconstruct 12" a bit more. Insect Warfare is pretty good grindcore, though not that good that I really feel compelled to check out all their other material (I'm pretty picky when it comes to grindcore).

do yourself a favor and do check out more insect warfare! early 7"s and 12". hands down one of the best things to come out of houston. another houston grind/pv band to check out is 50/50

FreakAnimalFinland

SUDDEN INFANT "my life´s a gunshot - retrospective 1989-2009" 4xLP
Höhnir
Really nice compilation. I'd say, the older, the better. The more raw and fierce recordings, the better. Often something to admire how simple takes on noise sounds here is, how it stands out. Absurd. Weird. Noisy. Rarely plain noise. Live, studio, all sorts of short cuts of miscallenous recordings. Packaged in two gatefold sleeves.

MIRRORS - WORKS OF KAIJA SAARIAHO & JEAN SIBELIUS CD
Covielles Classics
Mix is just about what I'd suspect. Oddities from Kaija, "normal" classical from Jean. Some stuff is really nice, dark slow, long sustain piano and soprano voice. Most works here are cello + piano works. In digipak with large booklet.

KOMMANDO RJF tape
Damn! Power electronics, better than the LP !! Too bad it is probably too limited for most people to get. Possibility to reissue sometime by someone - I'd hope so!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

F_c_O

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 16, 2014, 05:47:13 PM
KOMMANDO RJF tape
Damn! Power electronics, better than the LP !! Too bad it is probably too limited for most people to get. Possibility to reissue sometime by someone - I'd hope so!
I have to second this. I heavily prefer the tape, although I do feel that its a bit too short. Still, great release.

Baglady

Quote from: F_c_O on September 16, 2014, 06:06:21 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 16, 2014, 05:47:13 PM
KOMMANDO RJF tape
I have to second this. I heavily prefer the tape, although I do feel that its a bit too short. Still, great release.
I have a hard time choosing which one of the two is the best. More hit factor on the tape, but I feel the LP is more coherent. They both complement each other very well. Really like the private edition box where you get both of them.