PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anomalie

Baptists - Bushcraft (Southern Lord)
Baptists - Bloodmines (Southern Lord)

High energetic "punk-hardcore" music from this Vancouver band produced by Kurt Ballou.
I spin them everyday for weeks now. Never get tired of them. Perfect to me.

Sumac - The Deal (Profound Lore)

Needs to be played loud at night. Flawless new Aaron Turner project which features the Baptists drummer Nick Yacyshyn.

Northaunt - Istid I-II (Cyclic Law)

Pretty different to his previous stuff. Stripped down.
First I wasn't that impressed but after some listens - it's very good.
First disc a bit lighter, second disc darker.

Pedestrian Deposit - East Fork / North Fork (Monorail Trespassing)

Looking forward to the new album.

Vasculae - Cultural Primitivism (Monorail Trespassing)

Jon Borges side project. Good.

Linekraft - Bouryoku Kikai (Black Plagve)

Confusing.

Dr Alex

Quote from: anomalie on March 24, 2015, 12:18:17 AM

Great one! I would like just little bit louder mastering.

Andrew McIntosh

Lilac's "The Great Argus" seems to be the only completed release from this project so far, a project by one Chris Bryan. The first, titular and longest spiral is a fine example of that kind of strangled, eager-to-burst but restrained kind of electronics, a loud, clear, clearly digitised sound that supports instead of detracts from the source material. Low, loud hum, simple feedback lines, dust-like crackle, these and similar elements introduced and retired over the course of the piece. The second piece, "Hemptira", has a similar growling feel, this time a more obvious use of organ-sounding keyboards below the other electronic sounds, the over-all feel reminding me, of all things, of Raymond Dijkstra, at least until a rhythmic pulse comes in and is osscilated across the rest of the piece. A slightly louder volumed cold sample drone starts "Water Boatman", not too disimilar to Non's "Ragnarok Rune", various chord-clusters appearing and disappearing, various ossilations used, various pitches and filters employed, various layers lain. The final spiral, "Picis Viridus" (scientific name for a type of woodpecker), starts oddly with a rhythmic electronic pulse that is mutated in various ways until it reaches its end and sullen, soft metallic drones wax and wane and similarly soft pieces of static start and stop.

Despite it's title, "Heavy Electronics" by project Forward strikes me not quite so heavy as more of a minimal and somewhat reserved release. The sound, particularly on the second track "Overdose", is up-front and sounding very direct-input. It's loud, but not necessarily heavy to my ears, until towards the latter part of the piece when the intensity builds up. It invites comparisons to earlier Whitehouse pieces such as would feature on "Halogen", for example, which is hardly surprising given how much of an influence Whitehouse is for Peterson (he's covered "Phaseday" and "Mindfinder" on one of his releases). For mine, I preferred "Adrenaline", in which the precise and clear-edged sound recording worked well on the gradual build up and smooth minimalist droning of the piece. One can hear, at least, the deliberate progress of both pieces, the titles make sense. And I very much appreciate the starkness of the source, un-effected synthesiser straight in.

More to my liking was Modern's "Untitled", four pieces of more layered, constructed and varied sources ranging from electronic to acoustic. Released as a double cassette, these pieces feature more layering of source sounds which, despite all being recorded on cassette and thus endowed with tape hiss, don't manage to over-crowd each other. There's an obvious attempt at some sort of composition, at least at timing of elements that come and go, and an interesting disparity between levels of recording quality which uses the fidelity as part of the construction. Object use, sometimes heavy metal, sometimes light, stands alone or alongside electronic drones and buzzes, which also get their time alone on occasions. The crudely recorded sources are considerately layered and assembled via software (there might also be some latter filtering too). One the shorter, latter pieces there's more a use of repeditive looping introduced, and both these pieces sound more layered and cluttered, yet still very precise in composition. In fact, the precision used to put these spirals together is more reminiscent of academically minded electro-acoustic rather than rape-your-guts Power Electronics. You end up with material that is neither raw nor polished but completely enjoyable.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

TREPANERINGSRITUALEN "Veil The World" CD
Cold Spring
For me, this re-issue of tape is better than latest album was. It is older material. Very much qualifies as album, even if has been probably small edition tape. If you know what is the bands style, that's exactly what you get, but I like that there is decent amount of material what doesn't appear to be so song oriented, despite whole CD is made out of quite short tracks.

ROBERT HAIGH "The Silence Of Ghosts" CD
Siren
Siren has always been quite slow to put out stuff. 24th release just came out and label started back in.. 1997? Despite Japanese label, whole output seems to be UK artists?! Haigh has some connections to NWW and such, but his solo works stand well without much name dropping. Very little of violin, but most of all this is just piano music. Slow, eerie, melancholic, dusty and neat sound quality what sets it apart from many contemporary piano recordings what appear too clean and to high fidelity. Nice!

SWANS "Filth" LP
Young Gods
Good to see nice quality reissue of this! Originals go for pretty intense prices online. Heavy, dark, violent Swans at their best! Reissue sound is good. Two posters of old gigs/album release. All in all simple and well done reissue!

RUBBER O CEMENT / PANICSVILLE LP
Nihilist
Well.. how to put this nicely? Not my cup of tea? Lots of toy sounding electronics. zip zap beeb beeb kind of playful noises. I like the loose structure and that its played as opposed to just gadgets playing themselves. But sounds are just something I can't get over...

PETER KASTNER "Bastard" LP
permaREV Platten
I have very vague recollections of getting this. Published back in 2010, and just filed it to "to be listened" shelves... and years passed by. Perhaps thanks to silly cover, I wasn't on the mood to give it a try. Now, when I finally got to listen material, it's brilliant! And to think this 5 years old limited to 77 copies vinyl LP (on color vinyl with few inserts) can be bought from discogs, ranging 7-12 euros?! Fuck! First side is raw and fierce noise works, but without effects, without distortion pedals. Just very dry, very crude and noisy physical sounds. Other side continues it well, but also proceeds into more quiet water dripping and assorted clanging and racket. For those who like noise, but don't want it all to be drenched to extensive effects, echoes and distortions, this is good album to grab! Recommended!

(edit: cheap self promotion: also from Freak Animal!)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

anomalie

Quote from: Dr Alex on March 24, 2015, 01:21:13 AM
Quote from: anomalie on March 24, 2015, 12:18:17 AM

Great one! I would like just little bit louder mastering.

Just use your volume knob! ;-)

Ernpe

Bizarre Uproar - Propaganda Bizarre tape (Corrosive Art 2013)

2013 reissue of 2007 cd-r. As much as I love to see Bizarre Uproar evolving from release to another, his 2000s pure noise era remains my favourite. On Propaganda Bizarre, things are not as physical noise as usually are. It may be much up to the sounds though, at least this tape edition lacks all power from low freqvensies. Still, eg. first track relies heavyly on chugging pedal effect. Tittle track begins with something being dragged over concrete floor yet the sound is fairy thin, cold and somewhat distant. More psyhical noise at the end of the track, much of it comes out as thin and distorted. Below average tape for BU.

Bizarre Uproar - Unsafe and Insane lp (Dogma Chase 2007)

Very same era than Propaganda Bizarre yet much more powerful record. Mixing acousting metal banging and scratching with feedback, Unsafe and Insane delivers balanced mix of noise. It is not in-your-face nor overly distorted, rather a show to sit back, relax and enjoy. Acoustic side of things gets quite intense yet on the a-side pedals and feedback are higher in the mix make the record sound midpaced. On b-side perhaps even more intense stuff, but still enough changes in tempo and sudden burst of feedback here and there to prevent lp turning du. Overall sound with a lot of feeling of space in it. Classic? I'd say so. Still goes for mere 15 euro in Discogs, was the pressing that huge or is the record less known among the fans of F&V-stuff?

Incapacitants - The Tongue

Part of the Box Is Stupid -box, originally released as tape in 1996. Barely over 30 minutes of in-your-face pure noise. Very much like Incapacitants at their best. Perhaps not as massive as they got, perhaps a bit too much quiking sounds but with this level of intensity and with this level of pure distorted noise bliss, one can't but love it. Not sure if its studio or live recording, a bit of jam feel in it and quite lofi sound, then again that is not unknown with their 90s studio recordings either.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

If I am not mistaken, Unsafe and Insane was heavily mastered by Lust Vessel person, for louder and heavier sound. It added a lot of overall sound. Certainly very good LP. And CD.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

coinbender

Enhet För Fri Musik ‎– Inom Dig, Inom Mig

great stuff, a bit like neutral but gloomier. the a-side is brilliant .

eyestrain

Quote from: coinbender on March 27, 2015, 03:00:19 PM
Enhet För Fri Musik ‎– Inom Dig, Inom Mig

great stuff, a bit like neutral but gloomier. the a-side is brilliant .

Seconding this! Just received the Svart Puls tape that's on the same label (Forever United) today and it's great too. Flawless label to date.

coinbender

yes , seconding the svart plus tape too!

bitewerksMTB

NEKROMANTIK motion picture soundtrack LP (One-Way Static)- sounds great! includes a 7" (haven't listened to it yet) & liner notes from everyone involved. nice clear vinyl with black smears running through it. a must-won for fans of OSTs & necrophilia.

H.C.O.D. "fracture of mercy" tape (Fieldwork)- harsh electronics with feedback & synth-type drones. very good. have 3 more Fieldwork releases to listen to.

bile

Encephalophonic "Regressed Progress" CD

2013 CD from the Italian Harsh Noise master Encephalophonic. "Regressed Progress" showcases the best traits of the project with the signature cuts, loops, and blistering waves of shredded static. Lots of repeated patterns on here breaking the heavier moments on the disc, however, these shifts and splices are warranted by the sheer intensity of sound. Samples shine through the orgasms of harsh sound (featuring interviews with disturbed children, perturbed mothers discussing their adolescent daughters deviant sexuality, etc...) This output flows brilliantly (I find myself coming back for repeated listens after the nine tracks are over!). Fans of both cut-up and non-holds-barred Harsh Noise will approve of what lies within this album. Great work.

Bizarre Uproar "Liha-Evankeliumi 3xCD Boxed Set (First Edition)

It feels silly to review a boxed set compilation that was released in 2005 but I cannot help myself. Originally this set was released as a 10x3"CD set in a limitation of 50 copies. My edition of "Liha-Evankeliumi" is the first re-issued by Freak Animal and Institute of Paraphilia Studies and contains all of the aforementioned material plus tracks #15 and #16 on disc three (previously unreleased), a beautiful insert booklet featuring self-shot images only Pasi could create, and a heavy leather-like box with pasted artwork. Personally, this is my favorite style of BU...fantastic harsh backdrops, thrown metal and various pieces of garbage being slammed with fervor, and Markkula berating the listener with his signature vocals. For being such a long compilation I find myself lusting for the next track until the disc is finished (only to repeat the process another two times). For fans of the more abrasive, chaotic side of BU, this set is worth picking up in both re-issue options or in it's original 3" CD format.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: bile on April 02, 2015, 10:29:15 PM

The newest CD from the Italian Harsh Noise master Encephalophonic.

Actually FA just released new Ence album "X" about a month ago. Haven't heard it yet but from what I've been told, it fucking slays.

bile

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on April 02, 2015, 11:32:49 PM
Quote from: bile on April 02, 2015, 10:29:15 PM

The newest CD from the Italian Harsh Noise master Encephalophonic.

Actually FA just released new Ence album "X" about a month ago. Haven't heard it yet but from what I've been told, it fucking slays.

I corrected my mistake, I knew that "X" was released but it must have slipped my mind when typing out that little review. Very excited to hear it as well!

bitewerksMTB

GRUNT "Myth of Blood" LP Freak Animal- excellent release except for the 4th song on s1, I hate that synth loop until the last minute or so. On one song, the vocals sound like an
imitation of Philip Best except not quite so dramatic. Nice metal sounds & good variety of vocal stylings. Nice photos on cover & booklet. This Grunt project is pretty good based on this one release. May have to check more of his work out soon.