Asmus Tietchens

Started by bogskaggmannen, September 15, 2010, 12:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

post-morten

Quote from: magnus on February 24, 2011, 09:06:46 AM
don´t even know who Henrik Rylander is... some "dark ambient" star? probably the music genre i find the least appealing of all...

Wrong, but I think you know who he is, Magnus. He used to be the drummer in Union Carbide Productions back in the 80s/90s, and is the drummer in Skull Defekts these days. On his own he's been entertaining a solo career over the last decade, doing noisy electronics with tone generators, shortwave transmitters and similar gadgets, quite similar to Pan Sonic sometimes.

magnus

Ah, ok thanks, i actually did recognize the name but couldn´t place it... (there is a swedish dark ambient guy namned Henrik though, isn´t it? sorry for so clearly showing my ignorence, he) Can´t remember a thing about his gig though, from your description it sounds like it could have been pretty good. Maybe i made the mistake of only catching Tietchens...
By the way, i´m a bit too young to really have been a Union Carbide fan, so maybe i can be excused.

FreakAnimalFinland

I got bunch of Tietchens works. But it's quite rarely they end up to turntable or CD player.
Now happened to buy 2nd hand copy of  Asmus Tietchens & Terry Burrows -  Burning The Watching Bride LP.
Belongs to series of 4 LP's, which were recorded & released late 80's. This vinyl came out about decade later. Can't compare with the other parts so much, but find myself enjoying this quite a lot. The little I previewed of former part titled "Watching The Burning Bride" at youtube, that one appears much more musical, more cut up and perhaps in some ways little more "dated" than this one. Not to mention that songs in former appear to be very short, while this new one Asmus has side long track and Terry also has few tracks where he keep things going further than mere 2 minutes per piece.

Each side has one artist working with other artists source sounds. Result works out on both sides very well. Lots of calm and relaxing moments, but always active in sculpturing sound to new directions. Available pretty cheaply.

Some samples of the older collaboration is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlLOnWY5aM
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tinnitustimulus

My personal favorite Tietchens is every release originally released by Discos Esplendor Geometrico. Geboren, Um Zu Dienen is probably one of his most industrial with very mechanical rhythms. Notturno is more restrained but even more sinister, the most darkest album I ever heard him do. Stupor Mundi is my favorite though, I like to think it's a combination of all of his periods at once. They kind of have a repetive structure like Esplendor Geometrico, but instead of a full pounding there is hums and glitches from his fairlight that are coldly reverberated.

I also like his ambient 90s stuff like Eisgang and Dammerattacke, favorites to go to sleep with. And as mentioned, Seuchengebiete series is great.

urall

I'm not familiar with all of his releases, but generally speaking i'm not so into his computer/electronic rhythmic material.
My favourite would be 'Raum 318' and his tracks on the Journey into Pain compilation tape.

If anyone can point me to more releases sounding like these, please do.

FreakAnimalFinland

This material I mentioned in previous message, is of course (due era of material) without computers and also not overtly rhythmic. If it was sold as sort of "ritualistic rough ambient", I wouldn't be objecting that much.
Should re-visit Tietchens VOD box soon. Very vague recollections of it. Basically only that I own it, but barely anything about music itself. Being very early recordings, I'd assume good material.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 28, 2015, 08:22:14 PM
Should re-visit Tietchens VOD box soon. Very vague recollections of it. Basically only that I own it, but barely anything about music itself. Being very early recordings, I'd assume good material.

This box is very good. I have the vinyl version. I guess this is one of the best in Tietchens' music.

Leatherface

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on March 28, 2015, 08:27:48 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 28, 2015, 08:22:14 PM
This box is very good. I have the vinyl version. I guess this is one of the best in Tietchens' music.
CD version coming  *with bonus CD
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

I bought two of the "Menge" CDs ten years ago and, listening to them every couple of years, thought they were OK but not really my cup of tea. Then a few months ago they just clicked. Since then I've heard most of these works and while by no means is every track on them equally good, there are a number of very good ones and overall I've come to really like the sense of space that these usually sparse albums evoke. It may just be a couple, often digital-sounding sounds in the foreground and some others in the background (although a lot of the tracks are fairly dense), but when it works well, it's quite beautiful music in an odd way. I think the best album I know in the "Menge" series is ε-Menge.

Overall, I also think Tietchens is hit and miss. Seuchengebiete is a solid if somewhat standard experimental album. YAK (with Y-Ton-G and Kouhei Matsunaga) is pretty good (sort of modern musique concrete). I love the Marches Funebres CD (I have the version released by Multimood), even the first track: it's kitsch for sure, but still great. Sinkende Schwimmer, on the other hand, is disappointing. Grav (with Merzbow and PGR) is awesome. Formen Letzter Hausmusik has some good moments, but overall it leaves me cold.

His duo Kontakt Der Jünglinge with Thomas Köner is fantastic though - top-notch sound art that sometimes has quite a dark atmosphere. I've got 3 CDs and am getting everything else too.

impulsemanslaughter

One of the Menge cd's i have is nice.. Have to check out more of his earlier works. I have the same live-experience as some of the above. He was sitting on a chair just playing cd's haha..

NO PART OF IT

Musik Unter Tage

In Die Nacht

I heard these at a radio station, and I thought they were great.  They're more evocative of soundtracks than the "coldness" that he's known for.   I can't bring myself to spend $40 on something with such lazy (academic) cover art, but I did enjoy the sounds. 

I can't help but mention the "Ptomaine" 3LP, as it is nothing but short tracks that lead into locked grooves.  As a listener, it requires work to listen to the whole thing, but as something of a locked groove fanatic, I enjoy it. I do have to say that there aren't too many loops that blow my mind on it though. 

I think a lot of people have intellectual conceits about their noise being "unemotional", but then prefer to listen to "aggressive" this and "brutal" that.  I do appreciate a guy that makes genuinely cold, mathematical work and tries to take away the human element.  This doesn't mean that all of it is good, but when it is good, there's an absolutely otherworldly element to it, beyond that of nostalgia or sentiment. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Bloated Slutbag

Been giving Tietchens a lot of attention recently. I think this thread has mostly covered all the essentials- Seuchengebiete was mentioned a few times and is my pick, together with Sechengebeite 2 and 3, possibly the darkest and droningest of all his efforts (though perhaps Tietchens himself would reject such descriptors).Sechengebeite 2 (1992) could be the preeminent though it's hard to choose favorites. Just get them all. To complete the picture you'd also need to grab the "Hydrophonie" appearing on the 1992 split-collab with Vidna Obmana and the Formen Letzter Hausmusik collection from 1984. There may be a couple comp tracks too. There was word some years back of more "Hydrophonie" coming out, but I don't know what came of that.

I do seem to gravitate toward the more droning efforts, which may be an attempt to escape the colder sensations the more open-ended/experimental compositions often leave in me. Another source of escape, perhaps even for Tietchens himself, is the collabs. The mentioned split-collab with Vidna Obmana is a good example, as is their '99 collab Motives For Recycling. The Shifts Recycling (2002) is also quite great, on which Tietchens and Obmana each spend a whole disc remixing The Shifts (Frans de Waard) source material, and on which Tietchens emerges the winner- perhaps ironically so, given the above averred, as it is the studied, patient, explorations of the material, the more subtle textures, that serve to elevate above that of mere "droning efforts".

Didn't so much like the collabs with Arcane Device, though I am a big AD fan. About the only one that has really stood up is Flussdichte, credited to Tietchens and David Lee Myers. Here subtle bass frequencies float in a bit more heft, lending the pieces a hushed and stately, atmosphere, a good and much appreciated remove from the experimentalism of their other combined efforts.

Five Manifestoes, with PBK, is perhaps my favorite of all the collab work, though it probably helps that I am a huge PBK fan. A fine set of mostly sedate, if occasionally loud, darkened textural investigations. Almost exactly what I would have imagined from these guys.

Tietchens has released a veritable shitload of work together with his old pal Okko Bekker, but to my ear the best is the straight-ahead droning meisterwerk of Stockholmer Totentanz. This comes off as a kind of mix-master reworking several classics, including Die Nacht Aus Blei. Among his most "classically" ambient perhaps, up there with the mentioned Burning The Watching Bride and almost approaching the dense evocative meanderings of Dammerattacke.

Perhaps the preeminent mix-meisterwerk is Raum 318, which at times sounds like darkambient re-presentation of Stupor Mundi, among perhaps others. Quite active and busy, even muscular by Tietchens standards, but never really losing focus, a legit industrial-grade classic.

I find myself returning for more and more of the Menge series, which has against initial expectations really grown on me. I must say I usually have to be in the right, slightly distracted, state of mind. Far from an early morning blast of harshness to get the day going, rather something that requires a good amount of patience to absorb. I will say there are moments when the shit sounds exactly like someone dicking around and it takes hella patience not to skip. One solution is to crank this shit to the nth. Obviously far from as intended, and in truth not my preferred listening mode, but it's hard under such circumstances not to appreciate the extreme and angular dynamics/frequencies ripping through the decidedly abused system. Also good fodder for fm-wanking; though I suppose this depends on how "hands on" you like your Menge.

Fans of the Menge series might also wish to check out the two collabs with Richard Chartier, Fabrication and Fabrication 2. Quiet, understated, never suggestive of someone dicking around, the sort of thing I might enjoy in between extended sessions of harsh blasting. Both cover quite the wide range of non-obstrusive, mellowed-out, quietly droning movements, very well put together, very much inviting of serious, concentrated, listening.

Yet another collab, yet again with a favored artist: Repetitive Movement, with Achim Wollscheid. Well, here Tietchens is paired with a personal industrial-experimental hero so I would be quite disappointed if the shit were anything short of good. So, it's good, if as the title would suggest, quite minimal in scope. Definite periods toward the end where I'm conscious of trying hard to follow a bunch of electro-acoustic dicking around, but the first fifty or so minutes are quite absorbing, cold, gray, buzzing n droning atmospheres.

The final word would have to be the mentioned Kontakt Der Junglinge, a mostly live project series with Thomas Koner. Again, the choice of collab mate is the clincher: practically everything Koner touches is genius, full stop. I'm frankly amazed that the project has gone on as long as it has. Figured the 1999 debut a one-off, but there are now four full releases from the live series and, surprisingly, a recent studio release (2014). I would say the stronger influence on the sound is Koner, insofar as every release is anchored in the deep and ominous bass tones which pretty much define Koner. Intrestingly, this collab moves more freely into near industrial-strength textures, at moments incorporating what sound like site recordings at a factory, or possibly loading dock. Interesting for me anyway, as Koner has often professed a love for heavy duty machine sounds, but this love is not necessarily in evidence in his solo recordings, even his recent The Futurist Manifesto- though of course if you crank the shit, any of the shit, through a proper system it often feels as though the building is about to shaken off its foundations. With Tietchens in the mix we often move into satisfyingly grim, grainy, textures, a most consistent and satisfying project.

Perhaps to sneak in  a last note on the ultimate collab: Grav, with PGR and Merzbow. Truly among the great industrial-strength classics, this has stood the test of time, and ranks among my favorite recordings of all three artists! Dense, heavy, occasionally fairly harsh metal-scraping n whining factory machinations, ending with extended, minimal, gray-walled, PGR furnace fucker. I occasionally imagine this is how tibetan ritual music would sound if the monks were performing their rendition of Merzy's Music For Bondage with scrap metal in an abandoned warehouse, or deep and ancient cave dwelling. The funny moment for me is just how dominant a particular Tietchens track- "Fron" from Stupor Mundi- stands in the mix, really lending the final outcome, as the pace hets up, a properly dramatic pitch.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

acsenger

I have more or less the same opinion as Bloated Slutbag about the Tietchens works that I know that he mentioned. However, even though I like Seuchengebiete, I also find it a bit predictable and without surprises. Somehow it's an example of a solid but a bit unremarkable experimental music album for me. I heard Seuchengebiete 3 a long time ago and loved it. Would love to hear it again, but it's expensive if it can be found.

I also remember Five Manifestoes and Stockholmer Totentanz as being great and rather bleak albums. I'm looking forward to getting them soon.

I don't find parts of the Menge-series annoying, although not all tracks are great. But when that stuff is good, it's very good. Even the lesser tracks are at least good background listening. And I agree that the volume has to be turned up because there are many delicate and soft details.

Fabrication with Richard Chartier is indeed great too. So is Grav, and I also have an image of metal sheets being scraped and banged in a cave while listening to it. On the other hand, I remember being disappointed by the monotony of the Repetetive Movement CD with Achim Wollscheid. However, I saw them play live together around 2001 and they were fantastic. A couple years ago I saw Tietchens play solo, and while there were a few great parts, overall it was a rather disappointing concert.

I've already praised Kontakt Der Jünglinge in this thread. Top notch stuff. I'm supposed to be getting all their missing stuff sometime in the future, as well as some other Tietchens (some 7 inches, the split LP with Kouhei Matsunaga, and I'll most likely order his new CD, Parergon, too).

acsenger

Forgot to mention Werkbund (although Tietchens has always denied his involvement): Aquis Submersus is awesome. Reverb-heavy, dark metallic rumblings is the name of the game. Haithabu I liked less, but it's not bad at all. I don't know anything else by them, nor by Mechthild Von Leusch, who seem to be somehow related.