PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fistfuck Masonanie

Dead Body Love - Destruction's Geometry CD (Phage Tapes)

A true study of texture. Sam has mentioned, I think multiple times now, the influence of Dead Body Love on his work and thus the work on what is now known as Harsh Noise Wall. Dense, unflinching, and full spectrum dominance. Plenty of low-end to compliment the higher-end details and sounds. If this isn't an early precursor to the HNW movement, I don't know what is. It isn't completely unchanging, there is activity, but there is certainly a dense core of sound that serves as the foundation for the other layers. Early staples of The Rita like Thousands of Dead Gods or Bodies Bear Traces aren't very dissimilar at all to this sound. The remastering by Grant is excellent and gives the CD a very full sound. It's been an absolute joy indulging in these Dead Body Love reissues.

Side note on The Rita:
I was getting nostalgic for early The Rita after listening to this and going to pull out my CDs. I was just curious to see how many times those two albums had been reissued and looks like Thousands of Dead Gods was only reissued once and only minidisc in 2019. Looks like Bodies Bear Traces only had a cassette reissue in 2018 and that's it. That's crazy to me.

Black Leather Jesus - Bride of the Lamb c30 (Room 2A)

Recent reissue from Richard of this 1994 tape from BLJ. The lineup at the time was Richard, Scott Houston, and Randi Shrum. One of the early and classic line-ups of the group. Pound for pound, if I was asked who my all-time favorite noise project is/was, I honestly wouldn't hesitate to say BLJ. Macro gets so much love and incredibly deservedly so, but BLJ just has such an IMMENSE and consistent body of work and doesn't get nearly as much lip service. This tape is a great example of how good they were during this time frame early on. The 1990-1996 period was so damn good. Some misses here or there, but mostly all solid to phenomenal tapes. I literally buy everything from this period when Richard reissues it because it's a gold mine. This turned into more of a love letter to BLJ than a review of this particular tape, but it's a well worthwhile reissue. Grab it!

MT

Will Over Matter – Exceed the Recommended Maximum

What a killer tape from WOM! Most stripped down WOM to date maybe, but also had the most impact on me. Instantly became my favorite release from WOM catalogue. A-side is just slowly pulsating, quiet buzz synth of going up and down in slow pace, and a electronic pulse giving a certain rhythm. So fucking good. B-side has five shorter songs, especially the second song hits my sweet spot, sounds like an old forgotten Erkki Kurenniemi recording. Other tracks have near industrial-like quality but still strongly rooted in the primitivity WOM is known for, this giving it that certain charm. The whole thing can be listened on Bandcamp, and listen it LOUD, this really benefits from it.

https://willovermatter.bandcamp.com/album/exceed-the-recommended-maximum

DBL

Quote from: MT on November 19, 2023, 07:41:39 PMWill Over Matter – Exceed the Recommended Maximum

What a killer tape from WOM! Most stripped down WOM to date maybe, but also had the most impact on me. Instantly became my favorite release from WOM catalogue. A-side is just slowly pulsating, quiet buzz synth of going up and down in slow pace, and a electronic pulse giving a certain rhythm. So fucking good. B-side has five shorter songs, especially the second song hits my sweet spot, sounds like an old forgotten Erkki Kurenniemi recording. Other tracks have near industrial-like quality but still strongly rooted in the primitivity WOM is known for, this giving it that certain charm. The whole thing can be listened on Bandcamp, and listen it LOUD, this really benefits from it.

I haven't checked that tape yet, but I recently got WOM's Aviation Hypnosis CD and that one was very good. Four long-ish songs of broken primitivist rumbles and rattles and tasty loops of what sounds to be vintage or self-built electronics, but who knows what's actually being tortured there. It's also instrumental so those who find WOM's vocals to be a bit much can relax, heh. I don't know if I've heard even half of WOM's output, but that CD ranks amongst my favorites from them alongside the BU-split. Top spot is still being held by Lust For Knowledge CD, possibly in part due to its very appealing and effective cover art that really lifts the album title to a whole new level.

This was also a good reminder to spin Frame Rust's CD after a long while. It was a collaborative project of WOM and Umpio, and to my knowledge they've published just this self-titled CD from 2015. Similarly "vintage" analog sound as with a lot of WOM stuff, and lots of harsh bursts of things screeching and rumbling Umpio-style alongside the more loop/beat-driven approach. Maybe it sometimes feels like it could go faster and wilder, but it does offer a lot for the ears if you have a bit of patience. I think just 100 were made of this, but seems it flew under the radar for many as it's still available straight from the label (Bestial Burst) and there are some very cheap copies sold on discogs too.

One more thing it reminded me was that I still haven't gotten the SS WOM (Sick Seed + WOM collab) CD! I had totally forgotten something like that even exists.

Atrophist

Quote from: MT on November 19, 2023, 07:41:39 PMWill Over Matter – Exceed the Recommended Maximum

Listening to the Bandcamp version now. The first track is mad good. It takes a lot of confidence and experience to create something this unrepentantly minimalist, without ruining it by adding something unnecessary.

Of the shorter tracks, my favorite is "Weapons that Administer Electric Shock Through a Stream of Fluid". I feel like you could slip it in between the tracks on Pan Sonic's Kesto album and no-one would be the wiser.

In terms of the whole release, I probably would have put the longest track last, rather than first. But whatever.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Dead Body Love - Arabia Terra CDr (Xerxes)

Continuing my dive into DBL, I recently acquired a copy of the 2009 album Arabia Terra.

The album is a singular track clocking in at over 50 minutes. Things immediately start off chaotic. There is a loop of ringing bells of some sort, they sound like large church bells. There are also high-pitched and chirping frequencies. A different profile of sounds that I'm used to with the artist after spending so much time with the 90s material. However, this is a return after an almost 10-year hiatus of releases. It's obvious from the start that this is a stretch into new territories and discoveries.

This release replaces the characteristic crunch of early DBL with a psychedelic and dynamic sound. Being released on Xerxes makes perfect sense as there are some similarities to releases by Government Alpha at the time when he started expanding his sound. The album certainly was produced with digital pedals, effects, or processing.

There are moments of harshness and layers of cochlear tickling frequencies that dance around, and there are other moments that dive into minimal ambient. A truly surprising and rewarding listen. Funny reviewing this and saying it's surprising when it's a 14-year-old release at this point.

Scatmother - Sadotantra CD (Dunkelheit Produktionen)

This release is WILD. It's power electronics on meth but executed by the most focused and skilled tweaker. There is so much going on and I mean all of this in the best possible way. Screeching and angular frequencies darting every which way and flanged vocals bouncing around the spectrum. Totally unhinged. Absolutely love it.

MT

The New Boyfriends - Universal Noise CD

Highly waited and anticipated new TNB album came out without a warning. Packed in oversized case and comes with a very nice booklet. Visuals set the tone for what is about to come, showing sites of recording sessions. "Universal Noise" is amalgamation of raw field recordings and distorted noise that crackles and ripples, grinds and churns yet retain it's presence. And the album starts with rain recording that ends with an enormos strike of thunder, it's almost as if the lightning strikes the listener itself, sharpening senses like a frightened animal. The overall feel during the album is this feel of fresh and brisk, like being under a chilling waterfall in a Nordic forest. Field recordings have tons of variety; rain fall, wood being torn in many ways, stones rustling, fire (?), various metal objects which are played in a masterful way. There's a music sample I don't recognize at the start of track 4, maybe it would add more to the experience if I knew? Anyway... what hit me hardest on the whole album is the last part where out of a rain of glass shards emerge a harmonica playing Finlandia accompanoed by beautifully screeching metal. It may not have the same effect for people outside of Finland but holy hell, it stroke a chord inside of me! Definately one of the all time greatest noise moments. The metal screeching grows up to sounding like a industrial symphony, truly a great way to finish a great album.

After the sheer joyride of NOISE of the previous album "The Fourth Season", TNB tunes their approach a notch calmer, exposing the raw undergrowth of the sound. It feels like that, exploring the roots from the ground, getting your hands dirty from sweet earthy soil. A diffent kind of album? Yes. A TNB album? Most definately! Takes a couple of spins to get into, and then it just keeps on giving.

Cranial Blast

Today's list of tapes played.

Klan Aktion/Noise Nazi - Elektro Epileptik Experience tape

Runeboy - Runeboy tape

Primordial - How It Ends CD

Mogao - Cave Of 1000 Buddhas

My favorite one of the bunch today was Mogao one, that's been an interesting noise project that I've gotten a little more into.

Decrepitude

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 09, 2023, 03:42:05 AMMogao - Cave Of 1000 Buddhas

My favorite one of the bunch today was Mogao one, that's been an interesting noise project that I've gotten a little more into.

There's a new one out on Hiisi Productions. I haven't heard it yet but I bet it's great.

I was listening to Noisecast episodes yesterday and one of the topics was how it's a shame that people don't write about releases enough so I guess I could try to pick up the slack a little. Last couple of days I've listened to:

Thorofon - Maximum Punishment Solutions/Littleton CD
Compilation of early works of this German power electronics group. Powerful and clear sound with great compositional skill. Songs that are pretty much "the same" are heightened with very clever use of minimalistic dialogue samples or just the right added synth layers making each one memorable. Although this is a comp it flows very well as an album.

K2 - Tekhnodrug CD
I somehow feel I've written about this before. I have a real soft spot for the more droning K2 releases, not that I've heard too many. This is one of my favorites. Here the first song could even be compared to some of the Aube oscillator stuff. Kind of looping and restrained with a bit of cut ups and stop starts. The sound is very clinical even at the most extreme parts. The second track starts more intense, rhythmic and heavy, could be where the Tekhno in the name comes from. Soon it is overcome with some heavy synth drones with nice inter harmonic qualities circling in and out. Towards the end we get to some crunchy harsh noise and nice cut-ups after a false start.
On the B-side things switch between cavernous industrial noise, synth chirping and stuttering loops in a very eclectic manner. Once you feel like the records sits on a style or mood it shifts very fluently to the next thing.

The Black Maghreb - Vision Of Life's Negative Existence digi
Heavy electronics on Tesco sub label. Kind of the same gear as the aforementioned Thorofon but with a little more digital and contemporary production which works pretty well here. Nice variation in sounds and vocal styles. The atmosphere is very ominous from the start and the sequencing keeps the release interesting but on the second half of the recording I felt that the songs really found the needed depth in sound. I bet this would sound even better on tape than digital where some of the more high-end synth patches seemed to hover a bit especially early on. Solid release and it's interesting to see where the project goes in the future.

SHXCXCHCXSH – SHULULULU 12"
Experimental techno from Sweden. Rugged and lurching sound consisting of loops and crackles, layers made from warbled samples and good old hiss. Very well composed and hypnotic songs with all kinds of interesting textures. The B-side drops the otherworldly atmosphere a bit in favor of more musical approach but it's still plenty weird.

Krigsverk

The Black Maghreb - Vision of life's negative existence tape

Not as effective as their 7" on Tesco (one of last years highlights for me), but good oppressive feeling all over and makes you want more.

Residual - Forcing the end 3"

Intense junk filled harsh stuff in sexy packaging. Need to spin this a few more times to get it to sink in a bit more.

North Central - Ritual Music For Self-Harming 3"

A bit more atmospheric than usual, but still noisy and filthy as expected. Bonus points for the small handcuffs. Need a shower now.

snakeradical

Hate Sermon – Children of God
amazing crazy electronics goes power goes non sense ! one of the best 2023 releases

Cranial Blast

Today's list of plays.

Zyklon SS & Xenophobic Ejaculation - Whites Only - Live In Finland CD. An event I'd of loved to been at! What a killer live album, among of some the best!

Intolitarian - Miscege Nation Collapse CD. Perhaps the best Intolitarian yet. Total berserker blitzkrieg! An absolute black/grind/noisecore bashing in the most hateful exhibitions yet.

Raspberry Bulbs - Lone gunmen tape. Every Raspberry Bulbs tape is A1.

My favorite of the listen today definitely goes to Intolitarian for it's great use of Noise, Extreme metal drumming, and vocal terrors! Highly recommended!

Fistfuck Masonanie

Francisco Meirino & Altar Of Flies – Exhausted, We Fall CS (Second Sleep)

Tape music collab from two titans. Very musique concrète focused and a truly seamless collaboration. It doesn't necessarily sound like either artist's project and feels like a true collaboration to become something new. A lot of murky and cryptic voice recordings, radio chatter, tape loops of what sounds like wooden doors thudding, sputtering electronics, and hand-cranked devices. Minimal use of stringed instrument musical samples sprinkled in as well. Feels like tape music alchemy as there is a very surreal, paranormal, and malevolent atmosphere. Sounds like the field recording of a paranormal investigation of a haunted cabin.

Highly recommended!

Manhog_84

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 15, 2023, 03:49:35 AMToday's list of plays.

Zyklon SS & Xenophobic Ejaculation - Whites Only - Live In Finland CD. An event I'd of loved to been at! What a killer live album, among of some the best!

Just listened this yesterday and was surprised how good it sounded. Captures the atmosphere perfectly!

Also been playing Streicher Legion St. George and Annihilism. Although we are talking about basic genre classic, this was actually the first time I heard the whole albums. St. George was especially great in it's crudeness and hard hitting vocals. Those ASRAR LPs were really warped, not sure if they came out of the pressing plant like that or is because of the stockpiling or something.

FreakAnimalFinland

That album was recorded with nothing but Zoom H2n, and I was sure that it will totally suck ass, since volume was SO LOUD, that one could barely take it, plus the recorded had moved to entire different place and direction merely due the vibration in room. I was sure it will be all clipping and nothing else. Turned out sound came out really good. No clipping (in recording) and especially with little mastering, clarity and punch is really nice.

Grunt material from same gig was recorded both room + mixer sound, so there is pretty much studio quality sound (material found from Vieraat Aivot CD).
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net