Malignant Records done???

Started by BatteredStatesofEuphoria, March 29, 2024, 07:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

He hasn't updated the mailorder catalog in months, and the Malignant Bandcamp has a banner on it seemingly indicating that everything is shutting down. Not being on social media, I'm wondering if there's been anything definitive there in a private post? The public facing posts I can see are all from months back.

Jason's made several statements over the past few years about the difficulty of keeping things going, and I'm sure the grind has gotten any easier with him likely getting up there in age.

If he has decided to ride off into the sunset and enjoy his life, then a heartfelt salute! As far as I'm concerned, his legacy over the years speaks for itself. I got into this music after the Audio Drudge runs, but the fact that those issues are revered to this day testifies to how important they were. Maligant was one of those labels during its run where you could pick something up blindly and, even if it didn't turn out to be your thing, you could expect would always be quality. And the mailorder was top notch. Jason's operation was an indispensable outlet for my journey into industrial, noise, and experimental music, and I'm sure for a lot of others in N. America.

Balor/SS1535

I never checked out his label releases, but his distro was extremely helpful for getting various import CDs.  If true, he will be missed!

Crucial Blast

Jason isn't going anywhere, he's now focusing his efforts onto Rotted Life, the death metal label he launched a few years ago and which seems to be doing very well. I hate to see Malignant close shop too, that label has been a cornerstone of dark ambient / heavy industrial / black industrial for decades.

There are some cool things in the works to document and commemorate his work with Malignant (and the zine Audio Drudge that helped start it all), though.

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

Quote from: Crucial Blast on March 31, 2024, 04:06:05 PMJason isn't going anywhere, he's now focusing his efforts onto Rotted Life, the death metal label he launched a few years ago and which seems to be doing very well. I hate to see Malignant close shop too, that label has been a cornerstone of dark ambient / heavy industrial / black industrial for decades.

There are some cool things in the works to document and commemorate his work with Malignant (and the zine Audio Drudge that helped start it all), though.

Good to know what's going on and that he's still involved in music. Looking forward to whatever comes out as far as commerorations go.