PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I always thought that Destroy All Monsters were from Detroit, Michigan and were linked to The Stooges in someway ... had a 7" on Cherry Red Records back in '78 but I was not keen ... what is the link to the Los Angeles Free Music Society? Just interested ...

Just got the Burial Hex "Six Wings" LP+2xTape + Dilloway/Lescalleet LP to play tonight!

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2012, 07:12:18 PM
I always thought that Destroy All Monsters were from Detroit, Michigan and were linked to The Stooges in someway ... had a 7" on Cherry Red Records back in '78 but I was not keen ... what is the link to the Los Angeles Free Music Society? Just interested ...

Of course, this connection wasn't pure and Mike KELLEY was this link, and his project EXTENDED ORGAN which was set up with people from LAFMS ... but... here is the link to interview with Mike KELLEY: http://www.sonicyouth.com/symu/lee/2012/02/02/mike-kelley/

and this is quote of that:

MB: Were you accepted by the art world? Could you play in galleries?

MK: No—we weren't accepted by the art world or the music world, so we operated in a kind of guerilla way. We would crash house parties and play there; or we'd play at loft parties for three or four people, after the rest had fled. We existed in more of a conceptual way, rather than as part of a scene. But that really changed with the rise of punk. When I moved to California, I tried to move into the punk scene with my band the Poetics, which included Tony Oursler and John Miller. Some of the musicians associated with the Los Angeles Free Music Society (LAFMS) were attempting to do the same thing, but that was a very odd marriage. All of my attempts to fit into different music scenes didn't work; at a certain point, I lost interest and decided to do solo work that was specifically geared towards the performance art audience, keeping out of the music world entirely.

DESTROY ALL MONSERS  from 1973-1976 were different to this from 1978. That first was more experimental. KELLEY wasn't in line-up of DAM in 1978. Similarity was rather in the same kind of music to LAFMS than real collaborations.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 30, 2012, 06:55:04 PM
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis CD - really really enjoying this, pretty much listening to it non-stop. Already I'd say its up there with Within the Realm of a Dying Sun and Spleen and Ideal as one of my favorite DCD release.
It's a really good record and firmly a DCD album.  I thought highly of Perry's The Ark, and I like how that direction bleeds through with DCD while remaining an entirely different being.  I'm not ready to put it up with the '87-'90 period (my favorite), but if you're a DCD fan and not thoroughly impressed, I'm confused.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

practical life

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 30, 2012, 06:06:00 PM
I've heard a couple live shows with The Seer tracks being developed, and they've been pretty great.  If you're interested in having your listening environment manipulated, it might very well be successful at it.

yeah those tracks were much more interesting and effective before they were recorded for the album for some strange reason. i listened to the whole album once and haven't had any desire to go back to it at all..

kate bush - the kick inside
delphium - snowhill-x ep
jon gibson - visitations
fall of because - life is easy
the african guitar box - lp 3
wanderer - rehearsal 1995
steve moore - the return of the poet
henryk gorecki - symphony no. 3
obscurity - ovations of death
sepulcro - flesh meets steel

Johann

Re: Destroy All Monsters

that is a great set of disc and anyone who hasn't checked them out yet really must. it really is a must have

Steve

Cheers for the Destroy All Monsters information .. I shall investigate.

Listening to : Re-Clip "Re-Clip" cassette on Ikuisuus.

post-morten

Quote from: Steve on August 31, 2012, 10:38:29 AM

Steve, I also have that 7" on Cherry Red, and agree it is pretty bland. But that was the "rock" incarnation, recorded with ex members of MC5 and the Stooges, which is nothing at all like early Destroy All Monsters when they were really out there. That 3CD set is an excellent overview of those years. For an even better understanding of what they were about, I also recommend the Grow Live Monsters DVD which features two+ hours of arty 8 mm films that were an integral part of their concept.

Steve

Cheers - I will keep an eye (and ear) out. I've had a look and seen it for sale for £54! If you see it going a few quid cheaper, let me know ...

FreakAnimalFinland

SVERIGE compilation LP
very nice! Often rotten and concrete sounds, but also blends in good synth works. No harsh noise, no proto-PE type things, but very good overall feeling.

CHERRY POINT "misery guts" CD

solid 30 minute tape release re-issued. Not a bad choice. Sounds heavy and FULL sound.

KKTK 7"

I think the digital files I heard were more ripping and fatter sound, but from 7" some sonic decay is at the same time positive and negative. Can't fully decide whether I like more the original digital sound or the thinner vinyl sound. Harsh, very well done harsh noise where Tommi Keränen submitted source stuff for Kazuma Kubota to edit & compose. Think Kazumoto Endo, but better, hah!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Jordan

Quote from: post-morten on August 31, 2012, 02:36:04 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 31, 2012, 10:38:29 AM

Steve, I also have that 7" on Cherry Red, and agree it is pretty bland. But that was the "rock" incarnation, recorded with ex members of MC5 and the Stooges, which is nothing at all like early Destroy All Monsters when they were really out there. That 3CD set is an excellent overview of those years. For an even better understanding of what they were about, I also recommend the Grow Live Monsters DVD which features two+ hours of arty 8 mm films that were an integral part of their concept.

I picked up the VHS of Grow Live Monsters years ago at this really shitty used record store in a mall frequented by the elderly for like, $2 or something. The VHS is 8mm material edited together with cheesy nineties video effects, is the DVD like that as well? Still, it should definitely be of some interest to people on this board.

FreakAnimalFinland

ENTRE VIFS "Heavy Duty" CD
huh... I know many labels wanted to put this out, but finally digipak cd of the legendary tape is done! With Le Syndicat connections, but more physical and metal junk oriented noise... simply brilliant!

GEOGRAPHY OF HELL "Sarajevo 1992" tape

Quite sinister sounding post-industrial ruggedness. At the same time rough sounds, but well composed, well executed, droning and dark noises.

BURRIED MACHINE "Aoral portion" tape
fuck! I had a feeling that Burried Machine was one more contemporary harsh noise unit which not much identity, but what the hell I have been listening before this?! Now it looks like I need to hunt down all the tapes I have been ignoring in past.... Anyone can tell if they are any good - compared to this?
This is clever tape noise manipulations, with reminding of older nastier side of Schimpfluch, but taking more "industrial" angle. Fast rewind, pause, cut-up, slowed down manipulations of very tasty and grim sounds.   

ghoulson

Mikko: Who did the Entre Vifs? I love that tape...

Recently on rotation here:
Ultra: Youthful Pleasures LP (Dom America)
Ultra: Spray / Death / Ultra LP (Dom America)
Rectifier: Atonement / Perversion of a Refined Nature 7" (Local Anesthetic Records)
Dusa: S/T tape (AKA07)
Aaron Dilloway: Chain Shot LP (Throne Heap)

Eloy

SNR

Quote from: Peterson on August 23, 2012, 01:55:56 AM
Quote from: Levas on August 22, 2012, 12:43:35 PM

Halalnihil ‎– Freedom Destroyer - average noise though listenable. It would be worse without the funny part "Inhos uses Boss and Digitech pedals exclusively."

Silly. One of these days when noise "goes mainstream" we will see more of that. Digitech pedals are mostly really bad, IMHO, I don't know why on earth someone would wanna limit themselves to a company that's a laughing stock compared to others. Haha.

I am not limiting myself to any companies. The only reason why I wrote that, it's because on that record, I only used pedals from these two companies. Maybe if I just wrote the types of the pedals, etc:. it would be more "serious" but at the time, I thought it's boring to write it in that way, so thats why the "exclusively" thing. I don't even thought that somebody would give much attention to this line..

Noise will never goes mainstream because simply how it sounds, and the content. Digitech Death Metal and Digitech Synth Wah pedals - though these ones are not on Freedom Destroyer - are everything for me, but bad. Not that they are good sounding, but well-built.. hate those shit pedals, what goes wrong after a more stronger twisting. These ones are not. I know not that good Digitech pedals (like Hot Head, or the overdrive ones), but these two are perfect for me, and they have a very good price both new, and used condition.

FreakAnimalFinland

couple days listening to
V/A NOISE FOREST CD
It ain't maybe as good as line up suggests it could be, but still hold its strength year after year. Japanese noise 1991, CCCC, Merbow, Masonna, VOG, Incapacitants, etc etc...

MERZBOW "Ecobondage" CD
Haven't listened this for years.... FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simply so good stuff. Blending his Batz Tou Tai era type of sound collage with upcoming hints of harshness, 66 minutes of pure bliss. You can make references to TNB type metal junk noise which ain't as much loud as they are just earsplittingly disturbing and Z'EV vibe rhythmic metal percussions on objects what have not only crushing noise junk sound, but do I dare to say ritual music type of tonality. Material goes beyond words. It ain't only noise, it ain't only free music/sound collage, just blends in diverse type of sounds. When you listen for example track 2 with LOUD volume and decent quality speakers - it operates on so many levels it makes me wonder where would be contemporary equivalents of this type of noise?! If they even exists?