New PE groups

Started by Strömkarlen, December 14, 2009, 03:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

send PM to "terror". See him at introduction topic of from. Could be into trades to get this stuff spreaded out? Other guy is known from project with some CD's on Autarkeia, but I prefer this project much more.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Gaze Campaign and Karasyozoku are like walking back in time.  Both tapes had me pulling out comps and lesser played albums; such satisfying listens...the kind that make you enthusiastic about digging through your own collection to maybe find a gem you missed, fiending for something new in the old.  Karasyozoku is probably the better of the two, but they both sent me on a good journey.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Nil By Mouth

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 14, 2009, 05:57:25 PM

*BUDRUS "devyniems rytams austant" cd (12.00,-) NEW
Imagine modern day IRM, but even more organic sounding with aggressive lithuanian vocal on top, amazing blend of organic drone and power electronics. Recommended!!! Digipak

Not exactly power electronics in stereotypical way, but it's hard to say what it exactly is. Instead of brutal fuzz and synth rumble, the sound is very organic one. But composition, overall atmopshere, how vocals are there... You simply can't file this to "drone", "experimental acoustic music" or whatever.

Agree. A large amount of sounds, everything different. Sometime soft and sometime hard sound, final result is organic. By the way, how looks the digipack? I have a normal white envelope, like as a promo copy

Levas

It is six panel b/w digipack + booklet with lyrix/art.

Plague Haus

Yea, I was completely taken with Budrus as well. Wrote my own short review here.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on December 15, 2009, 09:40:50 PMGlad to see that not everything new is about "crude, filthy, brutal, back to basics" etc.

Good point.

The impression I get from their MySpace page is that there's an Extreme Metal kind of background or vibe to this, maybe they come from a Metal background?
Mmm...some nice drones there....
By the way, the link to the external website seems to be down?
Shikata ga nai.

kettu

shit, I just listened to the myspace things that budrus has and after 23 seconds I decided to ad it to my shoppinglist!  a hint of distortion/overdrive in the vocals would make it superb.

lately ive seen possibly a few different projects get advertised as taking,pushing,developing pe into new areas( i believe this is meant as a good thing) but after I listened to the provided samples all I could hear is sterile as piss sound and some seriously shitty melodies. the melody thing is a difficult subject,possibly worthy of a thread of its own. but these lithuanian fellers, without making a spectacle of themselves manage to be very "progressive" in the best possible way.

edit: im a sucker for shouty vox in russian and all the other eastern european mongrol languages. it just sounds so lovely.

I dont have a clue of the availability or current situation but some ierophania(russia) stuff ive liked. I dont think ive heard any classics but still might be worth investigating.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on December 15, 2009, 09:40:50 PM

Glad to see that not everything new is about "crude, filthy, brutal, back to basics" etc. The genre needs it prog rockers too.

This is actually why I was starting the thread to begin with. Not that I have anything against a blood drenched skullfuck but it gets a bit one sided when that is all there is.

Levas

Quotemaybe they come from a Metal background

In a way. Laurynas was in the legendary Lithuanian avantgarde black metal band Anubi since the beginning though later he quited and started his own ambient project(s). The main was Girnu Giesmes. In fact here, in Lithuania, after appearing of the demo, many people started comparing Budrus and older Girnu Giesmes even before the members of the project were unknown. As for me, I was and still am involved in black metal mostly, apart from everything else, for a decade. I don't know if that can be called metal background, but let it be.

Quotelink to the external website seems to be down?

Yes, it is down. It was the webspace for sharing the demo etc., now things need to be a little reorganized to make a place to announce the releases etc., different hostname etc., so it was taken down.

Quotehint of distortion/overdrive in the vocals would make it superb

Yes, I've heard such opinions a couple of times, but the idea was to leave the sound of voice as much untouched as possible. It's not mentioned anywhere, but voice, apart from several recording sessions in the studio, was recorded not in such usual places. There were recording sessions in various forests around Vilnius, riversides, sewers of Vilnius, we were experimenting and trying to find the natural reverb that would suit best. That would be the reason when talking about additional distortion/overdrive. Here are photos of one recording session:

FreakAnimalFinland

I'm quite confident that popularity of raw and harsh stuff will create answer with the opposite.
I remember when there was lots of raw harsh noise, what suddenly was replaced by some popularity to dynamic hi-fi harsh noise. There was moment when death industrial and dark ambient reigned strong. And always some wave get replaced by others.
There was that Hospital Productions compilation "like frog...." LP+7" which was aimed to be response to all the dominating popularity of "clean" and "hi-fi" noise, but when it was delayed long enough, you could view it as document of currently peaking lo-fi crude filth noise. And nowadays it would seem to be alternative to make for example compilation of  progressive, ambitiously experimental, boundaries pushing PE/noise?

I think something like Brethren, is new. Listening his 10" or for example track on Audial Decimation compilation CD, it's like PE in song form, being very noisy, but with actual verse / chorus -style of compositions and structures. Something you pretty much never hear.
Strom.ec went their most progressive mode on their 3rd album that came this year. You can vaguely file it under PE, but it is just so much more.  Cloama is always pushing boundaries. Like Cloama/Blutleuchte tape on Freak Animal it is their LEAST experimental collaboration (there is 3 or 4 of them) and still it managed to sound unlike anyone else. The other releases go further. Bands like Human Larvae or Xiphoid Dementia, these both CD's I would also recommend to anyone looking for more than just fierce noisy PE. They blend in many influences and create quite ambitious albums, which is not just tracks thrown after eachother, but thought out albums.

GEWALTMONOPOL

One group above them all springs to my mind, IRM!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Zeno Marx

A lot of that Budrus album is maybe something Halo Manash would do if they were a bit more aggressive.  Has a quasi-classical feel to some tracks as well, almost like something Tehom could've done.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

kettu

there was some horribly ;P sexist joking around in another thread so I though that some of it belonged here

pharmakon  http://www.youtube.com/user/mathgrind#p/u/84/h70Wz3QNDIM   http://www.myspace.com/noisepharmakon

not exactly an impressive discography and I dont have anyofthem. last thing was an ep on bloodlust. no idea how many landed in europe. it was something like 100 copies.

I would like to hear more and read that there is a split tape coming but who knows. I might even be intrested in releasing something but my budget is already tied to a mystery release in the future.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been waiting promo for a while, she said today that sending soon. Can comment when I hear it properly. Wasn't going to get CDR from BL. Vocals are brutal. This sounds more violent than say,.. Sewer Goddess, but SG has very good things going on with sound/composition/atmosphere what you can't sense on tiny laptop speakers I have to settle for youtube clips. Recommended from SG is for example split tape with Bereft if you find someone willing to give out one of ltd 70 copies edition... I believe Malignant had SG cd coming?

kettu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 20, 2009, 10:20:34 PM
Been waiting promo for a while, she said today that sending soon.

like a best of thingy for you as a noise nerd to listen  or for fishing a "record deal". yeah definetly tell us what it sounds like and why not sell it to me after youre done with it. 4 euros, take it or leave it!!