PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

KSNK - Murska CD (Freak Animal, 2023)
Well, I didn't see this coming after that first CD which compiled a couple of early recordings. That CD, while also quite original, filed itself at some crossing inbetween rugged industrial and power electronics. The kinship between that material and Murska is there, but Murska is still something completely different. Straight up audio documentation of rock- and stone-crushing machinery doing its job. I'm not sure if these recordings were processed or tampered with in any way, but if they were it was with a very light hand. Doesn't matter, really, as the recordings are so rich with depth and detail that I can't think of what to add or change. Jeph Jerman's two albums for WCN cone to mind, as does the brilliant TNB - First Live Performance LP on VOD. What sets Murska apart from those the most though isn't the lack of obvious rearranging or tampering, but the lack of tension. As I wrote, it's machinery doing its job. In a way, you could compare this to one of those slow, barely or completely unnarrated TV documentaries about an industry which might be on its last waltz (at least in our part of the world) - harbours, factories, technical maintenance and whatever. This record serves that documentary purpose to me. Very matter of fact. And beautiful for being just that. Heartfelt even, for those of us who used to work under rather unsanitary conditions with old machines just a couple of decades ago. Gives me flashbacks to downing that first cup of awful coffee and starting up some highly unsafe and outdated press machine, watching it chomp and chop away for hours. Lovely album.

FreakAnimalFinland

Story is that artists sent the long piece for Terässinfonia compilation. I mentioned it is a great track, but compilation idea is to have 7-12 artists, something in that range, short tracks. Something can extend longer.. so far longest up to 9 minutes.. but 18 mins? Almost half of comp being one artist. I told track is so good, there should be KSNK album built around it. There were material done already, and it was merely matter of having album flow together. We talked should or should it not be "mastered". Fully knowing that artistry of bouncing audio via tape could bring it more juice - but then again, it would make it more "normal noise". Decision to leave it as it, complete without edits, including the wind sounds and such. Leaving the weird alarm in the end of disc and so on. For me, it just underlined how unusual album it is. KSNK seems to be always different. His tracks on Terässinfonia ja Kolari compilations just add into situation that you can't really predict what he is going to do next.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

JET PARTITIONS - Parameters 2xCS (Obscurex, 2012)
A dear buddy knew I had taken Umpio to heart in recent years, so he gave me a bunch of cassettes he felt done with. This unique sounding nugget was one of them. Doesn't sound quite like anything else. JET PARTITIONS = Risto Puurunen and Pentti Dassum. "Drills, radiator, chains, tools, junkstruments + electronix". Pentti's crisp, tactile and seam-ripping yet loose racket against a background of more laidback almost post mortem:ish industrial, presumsbly courtesy of Puurunen. But who knows? Either way, a damn match made in heaven, Jet Partitions.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 17, 2023, 12:47:34 PMMET GLAS "Moody Brooding" tape
Absurd Exposition
I can't really articulate why exactly, but this tape ended up to be one of the most played harsh texture tapes of recent times. Can't explain why this, over multiple possibilities. Maybe the cover? Maybe the packaging including surprising object. Maybe it is just notch better than many texture focused harsh tapes? I am not only imagining, since talked to other guy who mentioned this among highlights of recent Absurd Exposition tapes.

Been getting a lot of plays over here as well. I LOVE the packaging. I already knew the artist and each release was really good but this one pushes it over the edge for some reason. Soundscape itself is not exploring new territory per se, but done with an energy and exuberance that is not matched easily. Really top-notch release and love everything by the project so far. 40-minute length makes you think maybe this will get tiring but it doesn't.

The whole new Scream and Writhe batch is good. I already wrote a review on the ZK tape which deserves more attention as well.

Eastern Embargo

Bastard Noise / Unglee Izi - Escape To Infinity / The New Dark Horizons (2023)

Large suspended bass bombs for the ears. Quite a treat this one.

Purchased directly from Eric Wood on Facebook. Comes with stickers, hand-written note, patch, etc. Great!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Eastern Embargo on August 22, 2023, 08:04:13 AMBastard Noise / Unglee Izi - Escape To Infinity / The New Dark Horizons (2023)

Large suspended bass bombs for the ears. Quite a treat this one.

Purchased directly from Eric Wood on Facebook. Comes with stickers, hand-written note, patch, etc. Great!

I still need to listen to this one.  I talked to Eric at a show before this came out, and he seemed to genuinely excited about working with Unglee Izi.  Passion went into that collaboration, I could tell.

SIEGSIEGSIEG

Stromstad - New Devoted Human (2017)
"Stromstad is a collaborative project between Jasse Tuukki and Toni Myöhänen of STROM.ec and Kristoffer Oustad"

I keep returning to this album for some reason. In a 12 month period I have listened to this album like 7 times according to last.fm. It has all the qualities which I enjoy tremendously: shouted PE vocals, pulsating (martial sounding) rhythms which have somewhat a musical quality and you can almost nod your head to them. Reminds me of some Grunt songs, Genocide Organ (specially the song "Klaus Barbie") and most Brethren songs.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't know if the live show was recorded, but they did perform this album live in Tower Transmissions. In live situation it was very good, but also there was plenty of pre-prepared substance. Everybody adding sounds, and of course the trademark vocals, but not sure if they ever felt live recording (if it exists) would be worth to make public? Would listen to, if there would be possibility!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Krigsverk

That album is pure gold, one of those instances where two great projects get even better when they get together.

New Forces

Green Tea - Children of the Wisteria (Satatuhatta) CD
Fantastic second effort from Green Tea. Pursues a somewhat more overt new age vibe amidst the psychedelic harsh noise than the first CD I released on New Forces earlier this year. Particularly on the last track you can hear echoes of mid-2000s groups like Emeralds, The Skaters, Marble Sky, Arbor, Young Tapes, that whole vibe... but that's just one reference among many, the thrashing CCCC-evoking noise remains, and this continues to be one of the more interesting and unique new projects (albeit from an accomplished "old head"). When the first two Green Tea demos showed up in my mailbox from Nick I knew he had something special, and we'll be doing the follow-up to the "Snowblower" CD on New Forces in 2024. Check out Green Tea, you will not be disappointed.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Zeno Marx

Frieder Butzmann - Early 4 Title Set (1980-1987)

I've started this set a couple of times, enjoy what I hear, but never finish it for various reasons.  Never heard of him before.  I would imagine he would be of interest to some here.  He moves from Cagey academia to synth explorations to crude electronics to vintage experimentation to quasi power-electronics.  The consistency is in the above average quality of everything he does.  I don't get bored with any of it.  I get moody and want to hear another style of music.  If he'd worked under a filthy pseudonym, some of it would likely be considered classic, or at least maybe proto, material.  If anyone knows about him, I'm interested.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

post-morten

Quote from: Zeno Marx on September 13, 2023, 05:52:42 PMFrieder Butzmann - Early 4 Title Set (1980-1987)

I've started this set a couple of times, enjoy what I hear, but never finish it for various reasons.  Never heard of him before.  I would imagine he would be of interest to some here.  He moves from Cagey academia to synth explorations to crude electronics to vintage experimentation to quasi power-electronics.  The consistency is in the above average quality of everything he does.  I don't get bored with any of it.  I get moody and want to hear another style of music.  If he'd worked under a filthy pseudonym, some of it would likely be considered classic, or at least maybe proto, material.  If anyone knows about him, I'm interested.

He's always been an anomaly, an outlier. The missing link between Asmus Tietchens and Die Tödliche Doris, having one foot in the Geniale Dilletanten milieu and one in the academic institutions. Doing club gigs with Neubauten members one week, and performing at serious electronic music festivals the next. I've had his first LP Vertrauensmann des Volkes (1982) for 30+ years. It's good allright, tape manipulations and electronics and even has Genesis P-Orridge on vocals on one track, but it never convinced me to dig deeper into his discography.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Perfected Grave Vault - Mutative Forecast CD (Oxen Records)

Wow, Mumma CANNOT miss. As one-half of Sissy Spacek for many years now, Mumma has also been keeping a steady schedule of additional projects flowing. Systemic Sewage has been the most notable, at least to me, with Hyper-Mechanization Of The Hairless Ape on Prose Nagge and the collaboration with Unsustainable Social Condition, All Available Weaponry on, Oxen records. Enjoyed both immensely.

Across all of the projects that Mumma has contributed, he carries a very DIY and beautifully old school and bare-bones aesthetic. That is no different with Perfect Grave Vault. The sound is very physical in nature. He knows the tried and true classic elements of noise that have aged like fine wine and adapted them. No overthinking. In the red, blown-out frequencies, tape saturation, with metal junk, feedback, and other elements. There is always a crude and raw angle to the material.

This Perfected Grave Vault release is a collection of heavy-fisted and attitude-based noise executed flawlessly.

I apologize to Aaron Aspinwall who I'm not as familiar with in the context of noise, but he is the other contributor in this project. A member of the Powerviolence band, Charles Bronson, and many other bands. Looking forward to all new releases from the project.

New Forces

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on September 17, 2023, 03:09:03 AMPerfected Grave Vault - Mutative Forecast CD (Oxen Records)

Wow, Mumma CANNOT miss. As one-half of Sissy Spacek for many years now, Mumma has also been keeping a steady schedule of additional projects flowing. Systemic Sewage has been the most notable, at least to me, with Hyper-Mechanization Of The Hairless Ape on Prose Nagge and the collaboration with Unsustainable Social Condition, All Available Weaponry on, Oxen records. Enjoyed both immensely.

Across all of the projects that Mumma has contributed, he carries a very DIY and beautifully old school and bare-bones aesthetic. That is no different with Perfect Grave Vault. The sound is very physical in nature. He knows the tried and true classic elements of noise that have aged like fine wine and adapted them. No overthinking. In the red, blown-out frequencies, tape saturation, with metal junk, feedback, and other elements. There is always a crude and raw angle to the material.

This is a perfect collection of heavy-fisted and attitude-based noise executed flawlessly.

I apologize to Aaron Aspinwall who I'm not as familiar with in the context of noise, but he is the other contributor in this project. A member of the Powerviolence band, Charles Bronson, and many other bands. Looking forward to all new releases from the project.

If you like this check out Aaron's solo noise project Death Dedication
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

HateSermon

Quote from: New Forces on September 17, 2023, 03:24:04 AM
Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on September 17, 2023, 03:09:03 AMPerfected Grave Vault - Mutative Forecast CD (Oxen Records)

This is a perfect collection of heavy-fisted and attitude-based noise executed flawlessly.

If you like this check out Aaron's solo noise project Death Dedication

Infectants too. Aspinwall, Block (Apostate, Worsening), and Mumma who is the new addition to that project.