Best/Worst Of 2016

Started by Otomo_Hava, December 12, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosef666

Quote from: locustfurnace on December 15, 2016, 10:01:40 PM
Caverne - Sentiers d'Avant
Ultras - Demo
Forgot about that new Caverne, really excellent release. One of the best new black metal acts of the past few years for sure. Just got that Ultras tape in the mail today, need to give it a listen!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

ConcreteMascara

Biggest disappointment: Antaeus - Condemnation LP
I worship Antaeus and I really want to love this but it sounds like shit and none of the old ferocity or monolithic intensity is there. And the album art is kinda lame. :(
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

BlackHole

My biggest disappointment was the new Arizmenda album "Beneath this Reality of Flesh". After the last three albums, which are total masterpieces in my eyes and 3 of my favorite black metal albums of all time, the new one was some what of a let down. Way less inspired, rehashed riffs and over all just not nearly as good of song writing or passion. It just sounds like a bunch of B sides and left over songs from previous sessions. Something was fundamentally missing from it that made the previous albums so amazing.

ANDROPHILIA

For a complete overview of the "bests"  Released this December but directly to the top of 2016 there is Atomine Elektrine "the second moon"
ambiental album with massive cosmic kraut influences of Peter Andersson  ( raison d'etre)

Special mention for all re editions from Urashima . Death Waltz records , waxwork records
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

eyestrain

I guess there was nothing that was the worst of 2016; generally feel able to avoid those moments most times. I would agree that "Sombre Doom" comes nowhere near the perfection of "Grave of the Archangels" but neither did "Promulgation of the Fall" so no surprise there. Same with "Condemnation"; was it really gonna topple "CYFAWS" when "Blood Libels" didn't or just barely did? I do love those surprises when a group gets that umph back but I don't really ever count on it.

Plenty of albums people jizzed all over, or currently are, are a limp dick to me, but we're all looking for something different anyway. I think most of all in that sense - the only archivist-style BM that excited me is Caverne, once again.

In the world of noise (broadly), the kings reigned supreme. As was pointed out in the Ke/Hil thread; it just keeps getting better (my words). And that's a strength metal rarely has. Most acts have this 2-3 album max. But maybe that's the strong consumer element, which noise also has, but more so in rarity collecting versus just selling massive quantities of units.

Wasn't really feeling any of the new Macronympha, which was a heart breaker. Seeing a lot of love for that new Skin Crime, and I do really have my hopes up for that! We'll see...

The year itself was the worst part anyway. Forgettable in more than a few ways!

bitewerksMTB

I didn't like the Antaeus LP either.

I did like Black Christmas LP, Last House on Dead End Street LP, Skin Crime "The House on the Cliff" LP, Genocide Organ "La Raza" LP & the Wonderland Club/Interracial Sex tapes on Finders stand out plus  Concrete Mascara ‎ "Perennial Disappointment" cd (the live tape is damn good, too). There's more but we don't need another long-ass list.

Probably will add the 12" from Teitanblood, too, but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Dr Alex

I can't make a list of best or worst pe/noise release because during whole 2016. I used to listen Hawkwind or obscure or less obscure krautrock bands fron '70s. But I really enjoyed in new albums of Con-Dom, Bizarre Uproar, Human Larvae and Ottis In The Woods, also new Iron Fist Of The Sun tape is brutally good!

Zeno Marx

Funebrarum, Dead Congregation, Krypts...

Bands that got too doomy for me.  Was it a trend in death metal this year, or was it coincidence that the few bands I follow like this all toppled over the edge [of my preferences] in that direction? I like all those 2016 releases, but they aren't going to be must listens in a few years.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

urall

Quote from: Zeno Marx on December 16, 2016, 10:39:55 PM
Funebrarum, Dead Congregation, Krypts...

Bands that got too doomy for me.  Was it a trend in death metal this year, or was it coincidence that the few bands I follow like this all toppled over the edge [of my preferences] in that direction? I like all those 2016 releases, but they aren't going to be must listens in a few years.

Totally agree. Sombre Doom was a huge let down (as was the Krypts for me too). Luckily their live shows are still always top notch.

BlackHole

I have to add White Medal "Lyke Wake" pretty high on my list. Just got around to listening to it in it's entirety a couple times at work today and holy shit this album blows everything he has done previously out of the water. I was really taken aback by how much of an improvement it is, and previous albums were already great. This release deserves far more attention than it's receiving.

Theodore

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 16, 2016, 07:47:43 PM
Wonderland Club/Interracial Sex tapes on Finders stand out

I was waiting someone to speak about Interracial Sex tape, i have started wondering if it's only me like it that much. Taking the chance to tell i need a copy ! I have only a rip, i need the real thing ! If anyone sells, contact me please.

Stark - Frank is worth mentioning too.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

impulse manslaughter

Records:
1. Anohni - Hopelessness
2. Tindersticks - The Waiting Room + Philharmonie De Paris
3. Henri Chopin - OH Audiopoems
4. Henning Christiansen - Op. 50 Requiem Of Art (Aus "Celtic") Fluxorum Organum II + Musik Essayistik
5. Puce Mary - The Spiral
6. Phurpa ‎– Rituals Of Bön I
7. Hermann Nitsch - 25. Aktion
8. Vidna Obmana - No Sacrifice
9. Masissa Nadler - Strangers
10. Midori Hirano - Minor Planet
(11. Lettera 22 - Legacy Map 2x7")

Hardcore/punk 7"s:
1. G.L.O.S.S. – Trans Day Of Revenge
2. Kriegshog – s/t
3. Rixe – Les Nerfs A Vif
4. NYC Headhunters – The Rage Of The City
5. Commando – Come Out Fighting
6. Glitter – Joy Of A Toy
7. Urochromes – s/t
8. Live By The Sword – Pillaged Hinterland
9. Framtid – The Horrific Visions
10. Mindset – Nothing Less

coinbender

Quote from: totalabuse on December 13, 2016, 07:01:10 AM

James ferraro - Human Story 3

just checked this. didnt see that coming . very refreshing stuff!  you can hear a bit of reich in there.

one of the highlights of the year : Filthy turd - Forty Six In Use Louise

aububs

that james ferraro record is like if Windows 95 was in a band.