Noise brotherhood?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 20, 2015, 12:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

By those two useful contributions, could this forum and everything in it surely serve as a perfect example of just that?

He is actually just a long term fan and participant of something who writes about it for fun to quite a few people who are interested.  That particular article comes from his previous writing having gained a bit of notice in other publications and talks so if it seems a bit overly complex and wordy this could be why.  Still, no better or worse a way to fill ones time than a grumpy commentary on the latest politically correct issue or a rambling diatribe on Japanese Noise eh?  Though these are two completely randomly picked examples.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Brad on June 24, 2015, 08:21:20 PM
I'm 100% audience.  Not because I prefer it this way, I just don't know the first thing about how to start a project, and I probably don't really have time to anyway. From my perspective the noise brotherhood is real, and something I'd like to belong to, but I certainly don't.

I remember now there was a thread on this forum started by someone who was basically asking if they could be counted as part of the scene even though he didn't actually produce anything - didn't have a project, a distro, a label, a zine, any of that. Can't remember what my own response to that was at the time, but in the light of this thread it's still an interesting question.

Obviously even a tiny scene like this can have its audience. There's always going to be people who just show up to gigs or buy the "merch" because they dig the sounds. People like that shouldn't feel obliged to be a part of anything. And who could complain about someone coming to your gigs or buying your releases who isn't doing it out of some notion of "scene unity" or, dare I suggest, "brotherhood", but because they just dig what you do?
Shikata ga nai.

acsenger

I've been listening to experimental music for about 16 years and I've never made music myself, nor have I felt the need to. I'm perfectly happy "just" buying releases and discovering new music. I also only have basically one friend who has a somewhat similar interest in music as me, and even he lives in another country, so we only communicate by email. I'd love to know people or have friends with similar tastes in music, but I'm used to this not being the case, so I'm quite fine with it. Am I part of any kind of brotherhood? To say I am would be a long stretch. The only forum I'm a member of is Special Interests, and that's my only exposure to people with a similar taste. I'll probably never be more involved in a music scene, but I'm fine with that.

THE RITA HN

There's a brotherhood.
I remember playing one of my first international festivals and thinking that I'll never see a lot of these people again in my lifetime.
BUT - After years of international touring, festivals, etc. it becomes almost a usual occurrence to run into colleagues I can now say are lifelong friends.
It's almost surreal, especially since many of us live on different sides of the globe.  I consider myself very lucky.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I think that "brotherhood" is something more than a standard group of people who share similar interests / music / aesthetic. I don't want to go deeper in this academic, barren debate about "what does it mean brotherhood?" but there is very important difference, in my opinion. Besides, every member of this "brotherhood" has different expectations and hopes in case of that music/art/aesthetic - audience is on the other level, publishers on different and artists in next micro world. I don't see any "brotherhood" here.

Cementimental

Plenty of noise brother/sisterhood in my world yep. Noise + friendship/community brings together a lot of very different people from different backgrounds who would probably never meet let alone get on with each otherwise ha.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 25, 2015, 09:18:40 PM
"Brotherhood" is bullshit. You have friends and pen pals or contacts. And any of those people can fuck off at any time & you'll never hear from them again.

Brutal but true. I share this opinion.

C601

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 25, 2015, 09:18:40 PM
"Brotherhood" is bullshit. You have friends and pen pals or contacts. And any of those people can fuck off at any time & you'll never hear from them again.

With owed money

THE RITA HN

I guess it's now semantics.
'Allies', 'friends', 'brotherhood', etc.  Some people closer than others.
I was simply basing my comment on Mikko's initial defintion(s):

QuoteEven seemingly "anti-social" forms of noise, like isolated man doing noise, often can be seen in form of establishing connections with like-minded people, all around the world. Networks that may be lifelong, possibly much deeper and intense than some local crew someone sees at bar.

All I know is that some of the most fucked, insane, life affirming experiences personally have been spent with close harsh noise colleagues; overseas touring, recording sessions, investing in a project or otherwise; and it always happens to be with the same guys.

tiny_tove

well in my experience it didn't go exactly like this. probably we had radically different experiences and I have been luckier....
I have met many people due to the same tastes to then share partly the same outlook on life, discovering to have always more in common and maybe having to deal with the same shit/difficulties that definitely help making things closer...
many of these peope I feel a little bit than simple pen pals or drinking buddies went through the same shit during the 90's due to UNPC concepts (and when I say UNPC I don't mean a more acceptable way of being politically involved, I really mean generally unacceptable topics that we are all acquainted with on this forum) and gender-bender-antithis/antithat-savethecow-fightopppressionwithoppression, cried about succeeding in closing gigs or worse attacking them, sometime succeeding in making real damages or attacking person 10 to 1, I could make several examples of this, but I think we had already discussed about it and I am not attempting to present myself as an hero, since I am probably better at running than at fighting, but being there with some of these pepople, witnessing pressure from do-gooders based on lies, probably made us feel a cultural trench and we are still all in contact after many years and we have been supporting each other when in need...
this is a radical example, other people become very close in completely different situation and sharing level went much deeper than simple exchanging mails...
I could do several other examples, but I repeat, this might be my own personal experience...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Quote from: THE RITA HN on June 25, 2015, 10:30:11 PM
I guess it's now semantics.
'Allies', 'friends', 'brotherhood', etc.  Some people closer than others.

That's how this discussion looks to me, too.  Different qualifiers to each person.  Different situations informing definitions to each person.  Each person having different social capacities.  etc.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

vargrwulf

Trying to share my work with others has forced me to be more social, and although there have been some foibles (mostly on my part), it has been a very positive experience in my life, and there is a certain sense of camaraderie.
I do not identify with noise as a scene really, but people that I have encountered (and more importantly, the work I have encountered) has often been an enriching thing, and I have great respect and even a feeling of perhaps brotherhood with those that have dedicated themselves to it for the most part. Whether the feeling is mutual or not, that is a case-by-case situation, but I am glad for the existence of the noise/industrial underground.

dubduboverlord

Quote from: Cementimental on June 25, 2015, 05:05:06 PM
Plenty of noise brother/sisterhood in my world yep. Noise + friendship/community brings together a lot of very different people from different backgrounds who would probably never meet let alone get on with each otherwise ha.

My experience as well.

Not sure how I feel about something as full-fledged as brotherhood, but after primarily trying to please myself, I'm usually trying to impress local noise / whatever performers / musicians with what I do, maybe not so much when it comes to choices as much as just a high level of execution.

I can think of a few moments where very slight words of praise were applied to projects of mine by people far outside of or just overlooked by the noise mainstream (as preposterous as the idea of a noise mainstream might be). No social contact of any type involved with these people. Very gratifying and validating. Any interest is flattering of course.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 22, 2015, 11:20:27 PM
The way FreakAnimalFinland describes this, it sounds as if things might be cycling back to the mail art movement of the 1970s and 1980s, but that was also birthed out of manipulating that period's technology in ways it hadn't necessarily intended.  The format was a means to an end, not so much a centerpiece, though it could be integrated into the centerpiece.  I would have to think that mindset applied today would find its way to dropbox and cloud exchange.  It's interesting how almost all underground/DIY movements, from krautrock to minimalist synth to punk and noise, were excited to get their hands on the newest technologies and find ways to twist it into a tool.  It was almost all built on anti-nostalgia.  Very forward looking.  It did, admittedly, involve stuff.  Humans like to amass stuff.  To consume things.  I wonder if those same mail art participants of decades past would have embraced file sharing or would they have still needed the physical object?  I know a lot of the tape trading culture (live recordings) couldn't wait to shed the physical object.  They couldn't wait to pounce on and devour the next technology.  What I'm saying here is that it is interesting how the previous generation, which was inhibited by the physical object, seemed to deeply desire breaking away from it, while this generation, which has the technology to be free from it, deeply desires to be imprisoned by it.

When we are talking about use of technology, I think there should be a distinction between the process of putting the sound materials together and the release format. With the former, I'd say that most of those involved are using tech galore. The release format, however... is what it is. The comparison to art proper is valid here since art... is what it is. How it interacts with technology may be a point of interest, and, there again, may not. Trends are not always the easiest thing to gauge, especially when the numbers we're talking about are so non-significant. Loud Louder Loudest features Facialmess Soundcloud offerings alongside proper "releases" and in the netcast format the distinction is lost. Works for me. The only thing stopping much more of that tech-savvy stuff from happening is... well, nothing, actually. I don't see any trend, I see limited numbers of people consistently involved.

The above could be taken as an indirect endorsement of the no audience argument and I'd have no probs with that. Most of the "deeper" observations offered thus far are partially contingent on the essential point that size (or lack thereof) matters.

Still when it comes to music, there might be a little more going on. Consider for the moment three cherished commodities: sex, drugs, rock'n'roll. Of the three, the latter is probably the only one whose marketability may be linked most readily to a sense of community. Or put another way, outside of what some might call "worthless cocksuck of capitalism" - that is to say, the marketability and comorbid suspicion that one is participating in a massive conjob - it's hard to see the point. Let me rephrase: it's hard to see the fucking point. Sex, easy. Drugs, easier still. Music? Really hard to see the motherfucking point. There's a thread here on how the sound somehow makes you want to move. Um, yeah right. I mean, as one of those people who seems incapable of sitting still at events I'm hardly one to talk, but quite often the only coherent thing going through my mind is "this is fucking retarded". Under these circumstances- eg this is pointless and possibly fucking retarded- a safe fall-back would probably be the community, or Brotherhood if you will. A Brotherhood of those who can be confidently relied upon to identify with certain strains of (pointless) indulgence, and moreover, just to give this a little rhetorical spin, where every extreme- in relation to, for instance, technology or society- is to be applauded, even encouraged, as this may assist in preserving the hallowed circles of Brotherdom. Let it be said, when it comes to making a point of being pointless, the Brotherhood doesn't fuck around.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag