PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

QuoteIf you haven't listened their "Still Life", you should do it.

I haven't listened to it properly, but will soon. A couple days ago I listened to Godbluff which might be my favourite VDGG yet. Although I have to say the (small) problem I have with Van Der Graaf Generator is the vocals when Peter Hammill tries to be too "expressive" (shouting, for example). But overall I don't mind this too much.

QuoteMario Bertoncini · Earle Brown · John Cage - Cifre · Four Systems · Cartridge Music (LP)

Would love to hear this! Have you heard Arpe Eolie by Bertoncini? He plays self-built harps. It's nice, but somehow I wasn't that blown away by it.

Organum - Kammer and Ikon

Just got Kammer today and I already listened to it 3 times, it's that good. Like a much more subdued and spacey Changez Les Blockeurs. Ikon is awesome too, with a very different atmosphere. One track in particular sounds like the music at a Buddhist temple on the top of a mountain (that's what I picture anyhow).

Various ‎– Carrefour - Musique Electro-Acoustique / Electroacoustic Music - Canada

Nice compilation of Canadian electroacoustic music from 1969-72. Released on CDR by the great Creel Pone label who make obscure electronic music LPs between the 1940s and 1980s available on (bootleg) CDRs.

Con-DomThe Eighth Pillar - A Confession Of Faith

One of the very few PE albums I know (hoping to get to know PE more soon). I like it but there is something about it that I don't get fully. I appreciate it though for its atmosphere and will listen to it more to get "closer" to it.

hsv

HVIT FANA - Demo (Nymph)
A short one-sided tape. The first song is a more "rock"ish one with drums and effected vocals framing junk loops and organs/synths, the other is mostly based around droning synths and looped distorted sound, dark but also a bit romantic.. Reminds me of some stuff that's been coming out of the Utmarken camp but more raw and sloppy, in a positive way. Not a totally unique sound but two solid tracks, this should really be a 7" or something. Very nice to hear stuff like this coming from Stockholm youth too, some young people seem to be into this kind of thing but few of them make music themselves.

Croatian Amor - The Mars Quarter (Posh Isolation)
I'd had this for a while without listening to it, then gave it a listen and it didn't really catch my attention, but going through it a few times it has really grown on me. Good melancholic, dark synth drones, reminiscent of the first two Lust for youth releases.

I'M STUPID (Beast 666 tapes)
Only listened to this once so far but I like it. It seems that most noise now focuses on more continous sound, be it layers of textures, rythms or constantly changing cut-up noise etc., and I noted that a lot of these artists have a much more messy, "free" aesthetic in that sense. Not so many solid layers, sometimes just one sound source etc. Also with the inclusion of Boredoms for example, it feels natural that not all acts are by-the-book-noise.

Bleak Existence

The Rita - the rack

catharticprocess

Quote from: acsenger on June 06, 2012, 01:54:49 PM

Organum - Kammer and Ikon

Just got Kammer today and I already listened to it 3 times, it's that good. Like a much more subdued and spacey Changez Les Blockeurs. Ikon is awesome too, with a very different atmosphere. One track in particular sounds like the music at a Buddhist temple on the top of a mountain (that's what I picture anyhow).

Ikon is one of the most amazing things ever released.

I've been listening to the new Kevin Drumm, the Ramleh box, and a stack of test tapes from a new batch of CP titles (sent into production in December - things very backed up as a result of sllooooowwww production at NAC, another batch coming soon).

Zeno Marx

Charlie Parr - 1922 2008 - a couple of really good tracks, but not as raw or emotional as King Earl.
Charlie Parr - Jubiliee 2007 - a couple of really good tracks, but not as raw or emotional as King Earl - "Jubilee" and "Jesus on the Mainline" are really good tracks, and the former is a great duet with his wife - "Last Freight Out of Asheville" is slow and beautifully twangy and somewhat rusty like I want from him.
Charlie Parr - Rooster 2007 - do not care for the Sampson & Delilah cover at all - nothing stood out for me on this one.
Charlie Parr - Roustabout 2008 - more mellow or even melancholy in feel - like this almost as much as King Earl - some nice instrumental work in the songs - seems more complex and a developing style more so than borrowing from traditions - "Midnight has Come & Gone" and "Adrift in Lake Superior at Sunrise" are good examples of this - more Emily accompaniment, too - "Farmer" is another great track - nice version of "God Moves On The Water (trad.)".
=====
Bestial Raids - Order of Doom 2004 - Polish black death mess - be sure to be in a noise-coreish mood when played - good stuff; a grower.
Bestial Raids/Hellish 2007 - Polish black death mess from BR; 1st track is slower and gritty and had me thinking about Celtic Frost, though it wasn't obvious; 2nd track made me think of Columbia's Confusion for some reason; messy, raw music - Hellish is decent, mostly straight-forward black thrash; 2nd track kind of made me think of Sodom on speed; 3rd track the same, but with some changes and tricks that were cheesy or "up beat" in a bad way.
Stargazer/Invocation - Harbringer/Horrific Ancient Sumerian Traditional Ursurpurs Remembered 1999/2009 - Invocation has some moments, but I don't care for the chug-like guitars; one of the quick-picking parts reminded me of the Lethal Aggression demo (a good thing), but it was a distant association; has an interesting snare sound -- Stargazer has a thrashy, almost technical sound like Sadus; the drums are rawly recorded, so the snare has a good sound, and he is a very busy drummer; I guess they call this progressive or avant-garde because it is difficult to define (and it is technical and complex in every way); it's thrashy, melodic, black, deathy, technical, and black metal; I've listened to this side a few times now, and I'm at a point where I enjoy it; if it was any longer, I think I'd feel differently; unique, challenging, and undeniably well done.
Vulpecula - In Dusk Apparition 2006 - I've listened to this several times, and I still cannot connect with it at all - it's complete songs, but it has a demo or edits feel to it something like Victor Griffin's Late for an Early Grave - maybe it is because I don't get it all that I feel like these songs are unworked ideas.
Merzbow - Oersted 1996 - so many great sounds on this album, many of which are deep and rich - plenty of movement, but until a few points in track 4, it isn't annoyingly squibbly or erratic - keenly aware of flow and warmth - 3rd track, the shortest, is so subdued and powerful.
Deviated Instinct - Guttural Breath 1990 - why didn't I buy these things when I ran into them on the regular and for cheap??? - want Nailed, too.
Bestial Raids - Prime Evil Damnation 2011 - more controlled and less noise-coreish than the 7"s above - reminds me of Beherit and the first time I heard Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty and thought everyone in the band was playing a different song - the result here is that it sounds like a war zone and not like a cluster of incompetence - ANOTHER really good album on Nuclear War Now.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Jaakko V.

G.G.F.H. 'Eclipse' & 'Disease'

:)

P-K

HongKongGoolagong

LIBBE MATZ GANG - the first LMG EP (Libertatia Overseas Trading 7")

It has been a while since I received such an intriguing unsolicited item in the mail. Primitive murky computer electronics. Great grimy graphics, multilayered reference points. Some kind of cranky political messages I can't decipher. Postmark was North London, handwriting was unfamiliar. Label claims to be based in Sealand.

FreakAnimalFinland

EVIL MOISTURE "Ghost meat" 7"
Bought this from comic festival couple years ago! I guess related to some belgian (?) screen-printing place, they were selling posters, screen printed art magazines and this 7" amongst others. Multicolored, large, folded poster cover houses inside 7" which includes possibly best E.M. I have had pleasure to hear for long time. 2007 release. Very lo-fi, very crude sound experiments. Noisy, grainy and broken.

SICK SEED "Improper" 7" lathe cut
ltd 30 lathe of SS will probably make grown men cry. When it did come out and where the fuck one gets it? Ask Assembly Of Hatred and hope for the best!
If Evil Moisture was lo-fi and crude, the transparent plastic cut lathe indeed is step further. Snap crackle & pop is the constant addition to low fidelity sound realm consisting SS at his most thin and distant sound. At least in my own copy, the labels are on wrong sides. The real A-side very well done although utterly distant/lo-fi PE track, but Autopsy cover song on b-side is perhaps even further ultra primitive and less coherent with volume balance differences and slightly wanky slow phaser(?) in beginning. Vocals come out very tasty up-front and clearly pronounced! This all said in pretty much as positive tone as possible. Since material this grim and unpleasant is hard to find even these days when filthy and violent material is pretty popular.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Grunt/Taint - Schoolyard Bruises cd reissue
Excellent and emphatic unravelling into a diverse array of aural perversions before descending into utterly filthed flavorings of tainted ugly. The epic collab track is a thing of shitty beauty.

K2/TNB - Oozing Ruin
K2 molesting TNB spew. Disappointment is the last thing I expected, but it seems Kusafuka had pretty flaccid materials to work with. Had Rupenus offered a tape of trash cans getting kicked around this could have gone places. K2 tries valiantly to sex up the limp offerings, but... it could have been great is the best I can say.

Brume - Fractisum
Wonderfully subdued metallic droning saturates an atmosphere augmented near and far with cranking clinking and clunking. The good kind of clunking. This one evolves slowly, effortlessly, seemlessly.

Merzbow - Merzphysics 10cd box
Some of Merzbow's finest straight-to-tape improv circa 1994. See Merzbow Top Hits thread.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Evil Moisture 7" was so good, instantly gave spin for his "GOO" LP. Tape manipulation / stop'n'go blasts of primitive and coarse noises. Yet playful and neat. Released by Blossoming Noise not so long ago. Good stuff!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RyanWreck

Teatro Satanico / Pervas Nefandum - Split (1994? Slaughter Prod.) - Really good stuff, the PN side especially. Thicker more Death Industrial focused sounds and cold, clinical synth driven electronics with a grim tone; pretty much what you would expect from the mid-90's Slaughter catalogue. Some rhytmic sections are pretty nice but the vocals, treated as they are in most parts, can become cheesy quick. Still, their material is definitely going to be played more than a few times in this room. I've never heard any other Teatro Satanico work outside of this, not too bad and goes along with the PN material nicely but I don't think I would look for any of their other stuff. PN truly makes this split what it is for me and I would have love to heard more from the project, but it seems that this was their only release?

Ultra - "I Can't Stand A Bitchy Chick" (1989, Aqulifer Sodality) - No review needed I would hope. "...my cock is your god!"

Mauthausen Orchestra - "Necrofellatio" (1983, Aquilifer Sodality) - I really didn't consciously know that I was picking all Italian releases until I started writing but I guess it makes sense considering they made some of the best old school and I am in the mood for good old school. Just raw old Power Electronics in one of the best forms it has taken on in its short life. Every self respecting fan of Industrial/PE/Noise knows what MO sounds like at his best, so this should be no mystery as far as sounds go. After VLL and "Bloodyminded" this is one of his best works, I could listen to those 3 all day and find something new each time.

P A N I C

Recently finally got my hands on Box Is Stupid so working my way through it steadily atm. It's fantastic, beautiful, pure - so far I have enjoyed everything (worked my way through about half the discs) but Extreme Gospel Nights stood out for me, esp side A. Insane. Now spinning Ad Nauseam and totally loving the shit out of that, too.

P-K

just started to check Dusa's 4xcassette box.....really loved his lp & cassette.....first tape in same vein, but more euh trip hop? warped tapeloops, cut-up turntablelism, breaks taken from vinyl, .......different, but still Dusa. magical stuff imho.

RyanWreck

V/A - Fur Ilse Koch (1982, Come Organisation) - This is one of my favorite compilations from its time, right behind "Neuengamme". No review really needed since I take it that a lot of you have already heard this. My personal favorite tracks are by Come, Leibenstandarte SS MB, and both Whitehouse tracks, which are live aktion recordings. One artist I had not heard before getting this comp was Viking DDV (I never checked it out because I was never a fan of Club Moral) who has a strong track of some junk/metal abuse and minimal synth work. There are a few tape/sample manipulation tracks like the Musique Concret piece, which is put together well and flows nicely, and the Consumer Electronics piece which is just simply a blown out interview sample.

Bruno Cossano ‎– Saffo's Pleasures (1983?, BMP) - So this was described as having the Aquilifer Sodality Italian sound, and I can hear that in some places but in general it's just dirty, old school Noise-Industrial that doesn't necessarily have any stand out qualities but it isn't a bad tape either. Some rhythmic pieces are used on both tracks which does make it stand out from its contemporaries but the noise itself isn't really fitting to what I enjoy about old PE/Industrial/Noise acts.