PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

Various Accounts - Feeding Its Young From Its Own Breast (Strange Rules): Way more hits on this comp than anticipated! Coupla PE duds, but some of those are even well-placed at least. IFOS, Reactive Identity, Cremation Lily & False Moniker, Plague Mother and RVH all deliver very strong pieces.
Doroga - II (Obscurex): There's a lot going on here that is reminiscent of Grunt's more distant works, minus voice. That queasy, distressed mood funneled into a sorta "ritualistic" space. Not sure how this compared to I, but it's certainly equal to or better than the track they contributed to Stein.... Loved this one.
Akio Suzuki & Aki Onda - Ma Ta Ta Bi (Oral): I've enjoyed the solo efforts of these two to some considerable amount, but as a duo they truly excel at their craft! Suzuki's Jerman-esque moves are intermingled with Onda's primitive and peaking tape experiments. Some limited horns (?) and voice (last track) come in at times as well. The recording quality is rather dank and muffled, and this is pretty complimentary to what's going on here, but I wonder how powerful the actual performance of this was. At certain times, it would be great to hear this in the red.

FreakAnimalFinland

SEKTOR 304 "Engage.. Forward" 7"
New Approach Records
Good piece of wax! Highly reminding Dissecting Table of the good days. Both tracks quite fast paced, but despite musical qualities, hardly anything else than just industrial. Guttural shouting vocals, bass riffs, sampled metal percussion beats.. Nice!

GOVERNMENT ALPHA / XTEMATIC "sound rarefaction" 12" lathecut
Cipher
Huh... Already mentioned to friend that this doesn't really sounds like Government Alpha, but could be anyone new doing kind of "contemporary" kind of harsh noise.. and now I realized (when actually looking the cover), that it was collaboration, and not only collaboration, but Xtematic using GA's source sounds in his tracks. So no wonder it sounded different! So what we have here, is something what several noise artists have gone to.. Sickness, Crumer, Tourette, Kubota,... meaning longer ambient/electronic passages, what finally in end burst into moments of harsh noise. I guess all 4 mentioned before, does it more interesting ways, while this sounds decent as well, I guess it's mostly that lathe vinyl isn't the best format for quiet sounds. Sound in general is very good. In fact, I'd prefer this sound for a lot of "digital harsh noise" as medium of format as it adds a bit dirt to mix. But LOUD surface noise and snaps during quiet ambient moments... ehm.. not good. During noise moments, surface sounds aren't problem at all. I'd recommend latecut vinyl only for loud and rough records. Hardly suitable for smooth modern ambient. Anyways, price was nice as this is actually cut on black vinyl, not some sort of add plastic pieces.

TRERIKSRÖSET "Fuck Pete Larsen" biz card cdr
Troniks
Did I comment this before? After announcing that I missed few pieces of this troniks/pac rec biz card series, I got couple messages and got two offers for this. Gotta love the idea that some artists sit on their freebies for years, waiting someone who's actually interested, to ask for them. Not throw all copies to friends who might never even listen them. I guess since I got this, must have played this 5, 6, 7 times or so. Of course it is short, but not only that, but: GOOD.  C. 6 minute track of pulverizing heaviness. Heavy and thick wall, what still doesn't consist more than perhaps often merely 2 layers of sound. But those layers are physical, always on the move. Never ultra fast, cut&edit or loaded with fireworks of effects. More masculine sweaty approach, somewhere between Macronympha and Incapacitants. Kind of 2 layer noise assault of latter, but slower bassy junk crush of former. I'm sure mr. Carlsson doesn't care much, but I feel that some of these scattered tracks from comps and releases like this, would be nice to gather on one CD...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Of course this depends on equipment what is used, type of vinyl/plastic that is used and sound of original material. There are lots of thin sounding, quiet and lame lathe-cut plastic & acrylic plates. Some stuff is well done. Cut on vinyl, with pretty good sound. But yeah, paying big bucks for bad quality lathe on soft plastic or acetate what sounds worse after every play.. perhaps not worth it.

FreakAnimalFinland

SKIN AREA/JARL "Le Petite Mort" LP
Malignant
Good stuff. It's kind of strange how Martin Bladh projects bleed over eachother, and it's hard to say what always makes difference between his solo work - where might be same contributors as in bands. IRM, Skin Area..  And now when you got Jarl+Skin Area, its like.. wasn't Jarl member of Skin Area once? So could this be more like Skin Area release and not too far from IRM either? Well, anyways, what we have here is multiple horizontal full color A4 sheets of Bladh text/drawing/collage kind of works and LP consisting droning of various instruments and vocals. Nice stuff. Perhaps little short? Needs instant re-play to really capture the mood.

BLACK LEATHER JESUS / RICHARD RAMIREZ "Latex" LP
Urashima
Pretty much worthless release of generic noise. RR side has more effort to try make it somehow different, but too bad soundwise its weaker. BLJ is just generic.

V/A TRIBUTE TO MSBR -LP
Urashima
Macronympha and The Haters are for me highlights. Sshe Retina Stimulants, Government Alpha and K2 are ok, Ramirez is weak. Liner notes from all bands about MSRB. Harsh noise all the way.

Baglady

SEWER ELECTION - Nära LP (Järtecknet)
Closer to his collaborations with Fredrikke Hoffmeier than his last solo album (Vittra Sönder I believe?). Many elements from last years Aska LP are here, but the whole feel of this LP is alot more bright, yet not without its thorns so to speak. Some unexpected sounds here, and they blend in and add to the mood perfectly. Having only listened to it twice so far, I have a feeling it will keep growing on me over time. Feels personal in a way I haven't perceived SE before. Really beautiful stuff.

bitewerksMTB

Trepaneringsritualen "Perfection & Permanence" lp- only record I've bought in a couple of months. It's really good. There's a couple tracks that I wish his vocals were mixed a bit lower with electronics/sounds a little more pronounced but other than that, if you like his other work, you'll dig this.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Baglady on July 26, 2014, 07:12:53 PMSEWER ELECTION - Nära LP (Järtecknet)
New SE?! New Järtecknet?! Yes please! Any idea when these will be available or is this some private release? Nice description btw!

Baglady

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on July 26, 2014, 08:30:42 PM
Quote from: Baglady on July 26, 2014, 07:12:53 PMSEWER ELECTION - Nära LP (Järtecknet)
New SE?! New Järtecknet?! Yes please! Any idea when these will be available or is this some private release? Nice description btw!
It's a proper LP, and I guess it'll be out any day now. Hope I didn't piss off Dan or Mr Järtecknet by reviewing it, haha...

eyestrain

Aaron Dilloway - Bad Dreams (Hanson/PACrec/Troniks): Think this the best Dilloway I've heard out of the several albums I've purchased in the last month. A nice symbiosis of his more abstract works of late and his earlier harsh noise forays, leaning more on the latter. Definitely based heavily around very brief tape loops. Thankfully, these never feel truly rhythmic in some Club Moral sense. Instead, they're so perfectly constructed it makes me stop. Noticed he has a reworked pic-LP of Beauty Bath coming out on Hanson in a month or two. Can't wait to hear that!
Wreathes - Wreathes (Pesanta): After the time this album has been allowed to ferment, I must concede that this had to be one of my top five favorite albums ever. The works of Kinit Her are so outrageously strong, but sometimes their use of Absurdism does an injustice to their expression of the Divine. Wreathes nails it for being direct, in a way that is almost mandatory. Aside from, unsurprisingly, creating an album without compare, they also managed to make one of the only albums I've known that can put my head and heart in the place that it does.
Ulaan Passerine  - Byzantium Crow (Worstward): Speaking of flawlessly assembled; clearly spending so many years with improvisation as your número uno allows for incredible song-writing skills. Smith definitely outdid himself with this serene, beautiful disc of guitar/organ/violin/etc drone-ambient. There's less structure than the debut (which I may still love more, but there's also a powerful connection to that one) and allows for greater occasion for the mind to just drift into it's almost-forty-minutes without pause to realize you're listening to music at all.
Drowned - Idola Specus (Sepulchral Voice): I might grab a new death metal album once a year at this point - maybe twice. '14's been generous though. Adding this to the list: shockingly glad to hear Drowned without Mors Do Lo Ra on the vocals - he's just too distinct to "front" another group. The vocals may not be so noticeable on this one, but the musicianship, the atmosphere is just utterly fantastic. Every track makes me think, "is this the last song? Cos this would be the ultimate ending!" And then another step up the temple comes on the following track. Listened to this three times in a row on today's road trip. Closest comparison I could make would be to Nominon's Terra Necrosis, but ridiculously superior.

And...a new Sewer Election!?!? Yes!!!!

Baglady

A new Sewer Election ineed! And its damn good too. Sex/Death being my favorite harsh work of his, this one easily gets to me as the best of the later stuff.

Glad to hear the new Drowned delivers. Cant wait to hear the damn thing!

Bloated Slutbag

Incapacitants
- SEC END
- Mental Derivatives / Shining Obsession split with Sewer Election
- A Purpose Not Necessary split with Black Leather Jesus
- Unauthorized Fatal Operation 990130
- Zashikiwarashi Effect

Been on a bit of an Incaps tear recently, a shining obsession I can never seem to shake. All of these recordings rank among the good-but-(possibly-)lesser-acknowledged Incaps, and, with the exception of Unauthorized Fatal Operation (1999), the recordings are representative of an era where Incaps are thought to be past their prime. I was curious to hear how these might fare against Zashikiwarashi Effect, a fairly recently released full(?)-length featuring prime-era material.
SEC END was perhaps the most curious for me. I was among the chorus of those who declared this to be among their 2nd tier works, the memorable dissenting voice being that of one Dan Johansson. Where more than a few (myself included) felt the sound on this be, among other criticisms, relatively "thin", Mr Johansson – if memory serves; I may be getting my characters muddled up – admired the very concentrated ripping-through glass-windshield type sound... at least, "speakers getting shredded as though by tiny granules of broken glass" is how I might describe SEC END part 1. Today, on review, I'm going to have to side with (my perception of) Johansson's characterization. This is really quite piercingly full-throttle, the highly compressed sound quite convincing, the earholes well smoked. I just wish I could say that for the remaining three tracks, none of which particularly recommends itself. Muted points to be accorded part 3, recorded with Yoshio Kuge, which despite its digitized squandering of filth in potentia at least hits some very harsh notes. The traditional live closer registers as lightweight by Incaps standards, still fairly interesting-  farts 'n starts progression featuring stubborn combine-harvester huffing and chafing in vain effort to restart, enough to keep attendees attuned to the eventual attainment of more suitably harsh levels.
If Mr Johansson admired (part 1 of) SEC END for its peculiarly focused intensities, that admiration may have reached its true shining obsession when the split with Sewer Election dropped just two years later. The Sewer Election half could read as homage to The Mikawa, and to that particular, ultra-severe, ripping sound characterized in SEC END part 1. Other contenders in this category may include Inverted Yield Curve (as remixed on No Progress), and Gody Fishing (from Quietus). Highly concentrated fields of pure extremity, glittering shards sounding as though ready to burst through the speakers, and then, at the seventh minute, suddenly peaking with pointy-headed, needle-sharp, precision. This is by no measure Mr Johansson's best, not even his third or fourth best, but the rather militant killing session works very well when up against Incaps' Mental Derivatives. The only problem here is, Incaps utterly blow that shit away. Like their split-mates, Incaps opt for a highly focused sound, but erupt screaming through the wall in reaching for truly psychedelic, stratospheric heights. If this isn't the harshest thing Incapacitants have ever managed, the incandescent fury of all cylinders blasting in concert certainly conveys a convincing portrait of Harshness Unleashed.
A Purpose Not Necessary's Yellow Silk Buddha was "recorded in February 2004 using live materials", but sounds as though a single brief snippet was mixed, mangled, manipulated over the full 30-minute course. The minimalist doctrine plays out like any number of Incaps, as infused with a heavy, heady, dose of Organum. Yes, Organum. A rusted-out Organum, with Rupenus observing from the periphery. Dense, yes. Mellow ambient drone, almost. Metal-junk, possibly. A veritable shit-heap of shrieking acoustic feedback collapsing in on itself, likely. Good, very. The BLJ half is also a bit of a score. Phat, heaving, blown out, flatulence, which excels at jerking the listener around. Several high notes emerge from a lengthy, episodic, progression. I'd be real irritated if the fecal offerings weren't so dang tasty. Slurp slurp.
Unauthorized Fatal Operation easily ranks among the better live Incapacitants, in fact among the better Incapacitants. I go back to this one often, and each time I'm surprised at how good it sounds. Very well, recorded, obviously and... and, well. Well.  I did say very well recorded, didn't I? This here presents for me a real bugger: perhaps the "good" Incapacitants (live) recordings are merely those which have been properly captured; with the proper gear, proper mix-mastering, etc. Refer also to Live At The No Fun Fest*. Perhaps the lesser Incapacitants (live) recordings are those whose faithful capture of "room ambiance", or whatever, nets a pale shadow of the sheer, scorching power. Whatever the case, this one blasts straight into full-throttle from word "go" and only accelerates all the more into ever-more-puritannical whitewash, a wackload of compressed, squealing metals drilling the fatal operation home, such that by about halfway through the 27-minute course your earholes are fully consigned to a permanent hearing loss of the first order. Did I say FUCK YES? Fuck yes. Beat that, Zashikiwarashi Effect.
Don't mind if I do, answers Zashikiwarashi Effect, unloading almighty densities forthwith. ZE is a bit of bugger, itself, I may say, even without the extremely dodgy, hack-like, editing job done with the disc tracking. Part 1 sounds like an edited out-take cut straight from the closing, climactic, five minutes of a (much longer) live set.  A killer live set, however, all guns blazing for the (edited) duration. Part 2 sounds a bit closer to a proper (studio) track, if a bit less fully-flavored than the Part 1, erratic zig-zagging surface antics sinking into a wider-bodied threshing field, deeper bass-surges hetting up the mix. The opening two parts consume all of ten minutes and easily make the disc a winner, no need to say more. But I will say that Part 3 rewards the patient with progressively more unhinged seethe and crumble, jagged rust-shards jabbing into burbly electro-alarm call. Part 4 had me reaching for my Pariah Tapes box, and the Irrevocable Letter Of Credit to be found therein. Yep, holy fuck, almost certainly the same thing- but in this case, the rough and filthy feedback surface is stripped back to let the metal sources take command. Quite fetching scrap-metal hacklery playing out here, the closest I've heard Mikawa get to TNB tribute proper. No complaints but does make you wonder... As for the (trad) live track, there are certainly parallels with the live offering on SEC END, at least in terms of the general "acoustic" nature of the recording atmosphere- or shall we say, inferior recording quality. Lots of fiddling around, the machine again most stubbornly refusing to budge, and things take something like forever to get going. But they (the things) do (get going) and eventual appreciation is grudgingly accorded.

*EDIT Live At The No Fun Fest: masterfully mastered by Kelly Churko, as previously averred in this thread
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

urall

Quote from: Baglady on July 26, 2014, 08:34:43 PM
It's a proper LP, and I guess it'll be out any day now. Hope I didn't piss off Dan or Mr Järtecknet by reviewing it, haha...

it's available allright from Järtecknet now. Just ordered my copy. Can't wait to hear it!

eyestrain

Quote from: urall on July 27, 2014, 06:16:51 PM

it's available allright from Järtecknet now. Just ordered my copy. Can't wait to hear it!

And while you wait, a short sample here: http://soundcloud.com/jartecknet/sewer-election-nara-excerpt

urall

Quote from: eyestrain on July 27, 2014, 06:58:04 PM
Quote from: urall on July 27, 2014, 06:16:51 PM

And while you wait, a short sample here: http://soundcloud.com/jartecknet/sewer-election-nara-excerpt

hah, thanx!