The Peak of P.E.

Started by KMusselman, July 08, 2012, 07:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 08, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 08, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
The Sat Stoicizmo LP was always relatively scarce, but the 2LP/CD was distributed well.  It collected dust in distros.  Ended up being a highly discounted item.  I remember seeing the CD still not sell for $4.  Didn't Groundfault have to give them away?  .

LP or 12" if you want to call it that, was re-issued on CDR. Now when you look discogs, there is no CD's, there is no 12"s, but only the double LP going from 20,- for rugged copy to 50,- mint.

I remember when I bought CD "Mah 2" directly from Donna very quick after it was issued. There were 500 copies of CD and 500 copies of LP, as far as I remember. And all edition was quick sold, at least in ARTWARE. I re-issued their "Jačati Tijelo Sportom" on CD-R, I had permission only for sell 100 copies, and quickly it was done.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: STREETMEAT on July 08, 2012, 11:57:43 PMthere is still GREAT amount of artist doing fantastic work. spend your money and find them.
Feel free to list names and releases.  You ARE invited.  I'm interested, and I'm sure others are as well.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on July 09, 2012, 12:34:23 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 08, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 08, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
The Sat Stoicizmo LP was always relatively scarce, but the 2LP/CD was distributed well.  It collected dust in distros.  Ended up being a highly discounted item.  I remember seeing the CD still not sell for $4.  Didn't Groundfault have to give them away?  .
LP or 12" if you want to call it that, was re-issued on CDR. Now when you look discogs, there is no CD's, there is no 12"s, but only the double LP going from 20,- for rugged copy to 50,- mint.
I remember when I bought CD "Mah 2" directly from Donna very quick after it was issued. There were 500 copies of CD and 500 copies of LP, as far as I remember. And all edition was quick sold, at least in ARTWARE. I re-issued their "Jačati Tijelo Sportom" on CD-R, I had permission only for sell 100 copies, and quickly it was done.
She and her right-hand man (forget his name now; Rene?) were prolific traders and wholesalers.  Doesn't surprise me that she could move 1000 copies in a matter of days or small number of weeks.

I didn't know about the CDR reissue.  Cool that something as deserving, but as unknown, as it received recent treatment.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 09, 2012, 12:39:08 AM
She and her right-hand man (forget his name now; Rene?) were prolific traders and wholesalers. 

Did you mean about Stefan Bremer?

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on July 09, 2012, 12:43:05 AM
She and her right-hand man (forget his name now; Rene?) were prolific traders and wholesalers. 

No, Artware was Donna & another guy who died. I do not remember his name.

For someone who missed out on alot, I can see reissues being more of an interest but for me, I'm more interested in what's going on now.

As far as my work is concerned, I like Mania more than most of what I did as Taint. Taint's peak was "Sex Sick" in terms of sound & content hence it being the final release.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on July 09, 2012, 12:43:05 AM
Honestly, I cannot remember.  I'm terrible with names, and I'm only getting worse (and I don't even bother trying to associate all the screen names people use on various boards).  I know that when I would write Artware, Donna would respond and then hand me off to her main helper to work out the details.  I have an itch that says his name was Rene, but that doesn't mean much.  It could be anything.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 09, 2012, 12:35:47 AM
Quote from: STREETMEAT on July 08, 2012, 11:57:43 PMthere is still GREAT amount of artist doing fantastic work. spend your money and find them.
Feel free to list names and releases.  You ARE invited.  I'm interested, and I'm sure others are as well.

SHIFT
IRON FIST OF THE SUN
NYODENE D (Edenfall is hands down going to be the American winner of 2012. Stronger then a lot of Euro releases this year.)
DETERGE
PHARMAKON
POGROM
BRETHREN
IRM

And I could list more, but that didn't take me very long.

Come on old man, you can't be that closed off from the scene.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

It wasn't a test or a rhetorical whipping.  People say there are great things out there, and I want to hear them.  I've, of course, heard IRM and Brethren.  IFotS didn't do anything for me.  I've seen the other names, but I have not heard them.  Please give me specific releases so I don't end up hearing the low points and losing interest.

I thought the Karasyozoku - Mischievous Sigyn 1923 tape was a high quality, forward moving album.  It had deep roots in the past, but it didn't rest there.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

TS

You've got good taste, HONOR_IS_KING! I'd add Pestdemon to that list, awesome swedish, different sounding stuff that I rarely read about anywhere. Check out Doppelgänger, and Helvetesljuset. Everything I've heard from him has been great though.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 09, 2012, 01:07:39 AM
As far as my work is concerned, I like Mania more than most of what I did as Taint. Taint's peak was "Sex Sick" in terms of sound & content hence it being the final release.

Frankly speaking, I know only two releases of MANIA which was issued by Mikko, and I like it, but TAINT is evergreen for me, and still, since many years I have been loving "The Untimely Silence", "Daughter: Victimology 2" and "Whoredom", especialy this last one which is one of the most important release of 90s, at least for me.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 08, 2012, 08:45:09 PM
I started to work on two listings focused loosely on "PE", to somehow document the history.

List of PE labels and short introductions. Should be probably updated. There's bunch of new appearing since this was done:
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=12.0

Canon of PE:
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=13.0

IF someone will someday write history of genre, I would guess good starting point to approach is to observe:
-What bands have existed, what are their most relevant releases, what was their influence, etc.
-What labels have existed and how they operated etc.
-What magazines existed and what type, etc.
Putting in chronological and geographical order, possibly seeing how they approach sound/theme/technology/communication and how it crosses over with other groups or labels.

This is the great idea. I think it could be a base to create website with a huge bank of datas. Some people prefered to create such like that not printed books as I wanted. But I don't trust in internet world (I think this isn't stable as material things), besides I don't have knowledge how to create such website. Anyway if it set up I would be very happy because it would serve for younger generations who have (as I suppose) the bigger passion in knowing a new music than elder people (this forum is proof for that - here is more people in age of 20-30 than elder), who should be the main aim for label owners, organizers of festivals or music magazine editors.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think if being complete, like "noise bible", is impossible, then aiming for incomplete is acceptable. It should never be about whether everybody is mentioned or if all discographies are catalogued in utmost precision. Also to find out every local "era" would be unnecessary when looking bigger picture. It would be tough job to be the one to decide what actually is THE relevant, without being too biased.
Even Finnish "scene" could be divided to much more than 2 parts I mentioned.

If we forget the experimental sound in general and focus on what is more "industrial",  one could look the Finland in 80's, when there was both international connections, but also total isolation. You could acknowledge the pre-Panasonic industrial noise works or Musiikkivyöry or such projects. Perhaps also a bit of Wolfsage or such quite obscure ones.

Currently quite well known artists born in 91-93 era could be Bizarre Uproar, UND, Grunt, etc.. who all did also international vinyl releases quite early.

It wasn't until maybe '98-2000 when finally more recognition was gained and with burst of related projects appearing and beginning of live activity, it became more coherent "era". Also one should always remember KMY live activity as group who brough plenty of CMI artists to Finland and also same time allowed lots of domestic artists to get to play (grunt, pain nail, cloama, strom.ec, gelsomina, etc etc)

Perhaps one big change was the Bizarre Uproar's return from hiatus. New approach, lots of live activity, launch of label, plenty of visibility and new bands, people etc.
I'm very glad to see that there is new labels, new gig organizers, even zines, new projects as well. And not just side projects of old pervs, but fresh blood.

Genre operates often based on myths. As mentioned in some threads before, we still talk about riot in Whitehouse gig or people still mythologize for example Exuinox Event 83-84 (dm52, club moral, ramleh, Pure, Krank, etc,...). But talking to some people who was there, it might be just poorly organized gig. But nevertheless utterly crucial.  I would consider perhaps one crucial point the Private gig in Mellunmäki plywood hall (COT, BU, Gelsomina, Above Suspicion, Restraint). If it was 50 people or something who really was there, I still consider it among one key points of current development. It has grown to exists in slightly mythical dimension. Perhaps same could be said about '98 FA fest, which really was pretty poor in modern standards, hah, but the stories people later told about their experience raises it to another level.

I have toyed around doing a book. But, perhaps just about Finland, since that's what I know and those are people I can reach for comments and ideas. Trying to cover past decades of countries as a guy who wasn't there, will not be as easy. Also it is about asking what for the book would be created?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 09, 2012, 01:39:44 PM
I think if being complete, like "noise bible", is impossible, then aiming for incomplete is acceptable. It should never be about whether everybody is mentioned or if all discographies are catalogued in utmost precision.

Exactly, but it wasn't be a reason for indolence. Besides such books like "noise bibles" shouldn't have main aim being complete (of course, authors should do everything what they can, to achieve this aim), rather it should be reliable and in comprehensive way describe this phenomena, because every kind of music has pioneers, aesthetics and cultural foundations. Any human's activity (even in avantgarde) didn't come from vacuum. Anyway, conclusion is: the more people will write about this phenomena the better to understand this music and her anticultural quality.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 09, 2012, 01:39:44 PM
I have toyed around doing a book. But, perhaps just about Finland, since that's what I know and those are people I can reach for comments and ideas. Trying to cover past decades of countries as a guy who wasn't there, will not be as easy. Also it is about asking what for the book would be created?

Yes, it would be incredible work and I would be one of the first person who could buy it. And I will buy every book about this kind of music which was / is in Russia, Hungary, Brasil, Australia, Canada or Israel, and other 200 countries from all the world.

tiny_tove

some years ago somebody asked me to  werite a book regarding noise/power electronics, etc.
thing was that there were not enough pages to analyse everything I had in mind. I would have needed much more than 200 pages.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 09, 2012, 02:36:39 AM
Please give me specific releases

Fair enough. I personally think its horseshit that just because I was born too late (St. Vitus, hur hur) the genre as a whole is completely null at this point. Makes it seem like an " elite good ol' boys club", then an actual musical community at times.

Shift "Bulk" CD
Nyodene D "Every Knee Shall Bow" and then go get "Edenfall" when that bad boy finally drops on Malignant.
Deterge "Substrate Catalyzation" and "Anacoluthan" cassettes.
Pogrom "Multicultural Degeneration" CD.
Pharmakon, basically anything she has done. She is unbelievable.

Also, I would like to add: Gnawed. Anything by Grant as well, dude kills it with his home made gear and completely infuriated vocal style.

KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109